1up Quick Rack Quick Review.- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.

Just received my 1up quick racks. I must say that pics do not do this rack justice! It is simply beautiful. Well engineered. I love looking at it. I also love the super low profile of the rack. With one rack on and folded up, I can still open the hatch. With two racks on and in the midway position i can open the hatch. Everything is as easy as the claims. I was able to install the rack and add on without reading the instructions in less than 3 minutes. The hitch connection is very secure. I think i'll put a lock on it still since i'm not fully sold that the hex key is theft proof and I don't want to take it on and off repeatedly.

Price wise it is a little on the pricey side, especially since i can get a really good discount on yakima and thule products.

I considered the following other racks before purchasing this for my 2010 Touareg TDI:
    Kuat NV
    Yakima Holdup
    Thule T2
    Saris Cycle On Pro

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I agree. I have one and think it's fantastic.

The best part is that it is so easy to put on - literally 30 seconds and the rack is mounted.

I'm pretty confident in the anti theft provisions, but then I don't live in an area where people steal stuff in general and racks in particular. Someone here did a thing with a U lock that was very clean and trim.

I love my 1Upusa rack.

J.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    nice......

ballbuster

This thread is useless without pics.

Looks pretty slick. I like the fact that is is super low profile, and does not block the taillights or license place when unloaded. I got popped for obstructed license plate a couple years ago with my Performance X-Port rack.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Here's mine:

and finally, tray options that can be either roof top or hitch mounted

J.

mtbr member
    1 up needs to lower their prices if they want to get more into the game IMO.
    I tried to convince a few of my friends to pony up for the system so we could share the add-on kits and car pool more but the Thule T2 is already more expensive than most people want to spend. The price point needs to come down closer to the T2.
    1up USA 2 bike carrier $300+200 = $500
    T2 2 bike carrier $350
    Not much in essence but that extra $150 has stopped 3 of my friends from buying the rack.

I am aware the price gets closer with a 4 bike setup but we want to share the add-ons.
    I like the rack for sure but not enough over the T2.

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by wormvine
    1 up needs to lower their prices if they want to get into the game.
    Figured I'd fix your sentence. @ $300 to carry only 1 bike is way out of the market even though they do have a good design. Their web site is a bit clunky as well. If they hooked you up with two carriers for $300 I think they would make more money even if they made no other changes to the system.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    To the current 1up rack owners: how well do larger (2.3-2.5) tires fit?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    There is nothing even close to this rack.

Because I can use the modules for either AND both cards simultaneously - hitch and roof - it's cheaper. Besides that, I'm not interested in manhandling and then trying to store a 4 bike Thule or Yak. This one, I can put and take off the care in literally 30 seconds by myself - and so can my wife. So, for that, I was happy to pay a premium on the parts.

I don't think they have any desire to get into a head to head competition with Yak or Thule. I also think they have made themselves a really nice business so far and their customer service is beyond first rate.

If the 1upusa rack is too pricey, the Raxter racks are a very nice alternative.

I'd have to check, but I think they would do ok with the larger tires.

J.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80
    There is nothing even close to this rack.

Because I can use the modules for either AND both cards simultaneously - hitch and roof - it's cheaper. Besides that, I'm not interested in manhandling and then trying to store a 4 bike Thule or Yak. This one, I can put and take off the care in literally 30 seconds by myself - and so can my wife. So, for that, I was happy to pay a premium on the parts.

I don't think they have any desire to get into a head to head competition with Yak or Thule. I also think they have made themselves a really nice business so far and their customer service is beyond first rate.

If the 1upusa rack is too pricey, the Raxter racks are a very nice alternative.

I'd have to check, but I think they would do ok with the larger tires.

J.
    I have a couple of questions?
    Can your wife remove the rack without disassembly in its 4 bike configuration?
    Are you affiliated in any way with 1up?

And for the record I can remove the Thule T2 in 30 seconds as well once I have the wrench in my hand.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    People keep talking about the "cost" of the 1up rack and I wonder how often they have more than one bike on their rack? I know I have never *needed* to carry another bike since my partner doesn't ride and I usually ride alone. If my wider ever changes her mind then I'll buy an add on then. I had a roof rack and I only had a single tray on that, too. Doing the math, a complete roof setup was over $500 for a single bike setup. Doesn't seem too affordable, comparatively.

Anyhow, I agree with the poster above that 1up USA seems to have established their niche and aren't too interested in competing directly with the big manufacturers.

A

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have a couple of questions?
    Can your wife remove the rack without disassembly in its 4 bike configuration?
    Yes, but ...

It's not necessary. It takes less than 30 seconds to add or remove an extra module . We store them as separate pieces and use what we need when we need it. That's 30 seconds from the wall (or back to) in the garage to mounted on the car.

Are you affiliated in any way with 1up?
    Nope other than being a customer. I found them on the internet and purchased one full price. For what it's worth, I can get Thule and Yakima stuff on pro discount and decided to buy 1UpUSA instead for which I get no discount. I simply feel it is the, bar none, the best rack out there - and it ought to be since it is the most expensive.

And for the record I can remove the Thule T2 in 30 seconds as well once I have the wrench in my hand.
    Then you are a better man than I, Gunga Din.

I also find storing the racks like the T2 and equivalent Yak to be a pain. Way too heavy. Way too awkward to manage.

J.

mtbr member
    Yes, but ...

It's not necessary. It takes less than 30 seconds to add or remove an extra module . We store them as separate pieces and use what we need when we need it. That's 30 seconds from the wall (or back to) in the garage to mounted on the car.

Nope other than being a customer. I found them on the internet and purchased one full price. For what it's worth, I can get Thule and Yakima stuff on pro discount and decided to buy 1UpUSA instead for which I get no discount. I simply feel it is the, bar none, the best rack out there - and it ought to be since it is the most expensive.

Then you are a better man than I, Gunga Din.

I also find storing the racks like the T2 and equivalent Yak to be a pain. Way too heavy. Way too awkward to manage.

J.
    OK thanks for the info. I agree storing the T2 can be a pain if you haven't the space. I have a good place for mine so it's not an issue atm.
    My rack is on for 6mos of the year and stored the rest. I do like the modularity of the 1up rack for sure as I usually need a 3rd space not really a 4th. The cost increase isn't really huge per se but trying to convince my biking buddies to get the double so we can share add-ons has been futile and cannot commit to a 4 bike setup atm. Most people I know balk at the cost of the T2. Especially when you consider the added cost of the hitch itself if you don't already have one.
    I personally hope that 1up is not trying to stay in a small niche and can find a way to bring the costs down.

@racerwad...
    99% of my use of my rack is with 2 people. And I usually need space for 3. Also, Do not forget that some folks need to purchase a hitch itself and will cost an extra $135-200.

Enjoy the convenience of tray racks folks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    OK thanks for the info. I agree storing the T2 can be a pain if you haven't the space. I have a good place for mine so it's not an issue atm.
    My rack is on for 6mos of the year and stored the rest. I do like the modularity of the 1up rack for sure as I usually need a 3rd space not really a 4th. The cost increase isn't really huge per se but trying to convince my biking buddies to get the double so we can share add-ons has been futile and cannot commit to a 4 bike setup atm. Most people I know balk at the cost of the T2. Especially when you consider the added cost of the hitch itself if you don't already have one.
    I personally hope that 1up is not trying to stay in a small niche and can find a way to bring the costs down.

@racerwad...
    99% of my use of my rack is with 2 people. And I usually need space for 3. Also, Do not forget that some folks need to purchase a hitch itself and will cost an extra $135-200.

Enjoy the convenience of tray racks folks.
    For me, I really value the easy on/off and easy storage. I only put my rack on for when I use it and it gets taken off as soon as we are done. If I left mine on for 6 months, I might feel differently.

I do like having as many trays as I need when I need them.

J.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    People keep talking about the "cost" of the 1up rack and I wonder how often they have more than one bike on their rack?
    When doing an endurance race I may take three bikes with me to have backups available. Even for XC races I may have two bikes for two different classes, including SS. But 90% of the time you are correct, one bike is all I carry.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I usually have more than one bike but it varies from 1-4 with 2 and 3 being most common.

J.

ride the moment
    crux and wormvine- You two need a lesson in economics. Plenty of people are buying their racks. If you don't feel that the product is worth the cost then don't buy it, that's how it works. Spend $150 less on your Yak/Thule, and then buy another one in a few years when the plastic is cracking and the bolts are all rusted.

There isn't a single piece of plastic on the thing. I had yakima roof racks on my Jeep, and after a couple years in Oregon most of the exposed metal is rusted. The 1up is aluminum and stainless. In addition to attaching to car quickly, the bikes mount super duper fast. When I get to the lot I take my bike off and throw a leg over and I'm on the trail. When I get back in the cold rain, I don't stand there messing with wheels and straps, just throw it on the rack and I'm out before my friends have even managed to weave the strap between the spokes. Its probably half the weight of the Yakima, with the option of running one bike which is nice for me because most of the time its me and the dog. You can very easily take it off, fold it up, and stick it in the trunk so some [email protected] doesn't hit it. However, I had left mine on and someone did hit it and 1up is sending me the replacement part for free.

In the grand scheme of money I have spent on this hobby, this rack is well worth the extra $150. I bet if I factor in the 10 minutes/trip I save using this rack... at an average engineering consulting fee I make that $150 back in less than 6 months. No question.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-downsize-3-.jpg  

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-downsize-2-.jpg  

Hey Butthead, are we gonna die? - Beavis

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    How far apart are the trays? With my T2, I like keeping them really far apart (and slightly un-centered) to avoid the handlebar-seat clash. That's why I don't like the others that have a fixed distance. I like the 1UP but raising lowering the adjustable posts (at base; not just the seat) is a pain. The trays are not at the same height- maybe that helps some?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The trays are also very long. You can move the bikes back and forth. There is no issue with the bikes interfering with each other.

J.

mtbr member
    When I tried one last year, it did not fit my 29er well at all- was too low down on the wheel. A little upward lifting force would let the bike release from the rack. Have they lengthened the arms or anything?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I don't know. You'd have to give them a call. The change would be simple.

J.

ride the moment
    Those are Kenda Nevegal 2.2 29ers in my pics. It says 2.2 but they're fatter than my Rampage 2.35. There is room to spare on each side. The bike seems pretty solid in there to me... granted I have not really yanked on it to try and break it loose. I have a hard time imagining the bike coming out of them under any reasonable transportation scenario.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by racerwad
    People keep talking about the "cost" of the 1up rack and I wonder how often they have more than one bike on their rack? I know I have never *needed* to carry another bike since my partner doesn't ride and I usually ride alone. If my wider ever changes her mind then I'll buy an add on then. I had a roof rack and I only had a single tray on that, too. Doing the math, a complete roof setup was over $500 for a single bike setup. Doesn't seem too affordable, comparatively.

Anyhow, I agree with the poster above that 1up USA seems to have established their niche and aren't too interested in competing directly with the big manufacturers.

A
    I hardly ever transport FEWER than 3 bikes, sometimes up to 5 in my vehicle. So for me, I'm looking at $300 for the base, and then another $600 for 3 more add-ons. I'm sorry, but that's just not worth $900. Yes its slick, easy to use, no plastic, etc., but I'd rather spend the extra $$ on bike parts or gear. A T2 rack with the 2 bike add-on is almost $300 cheaper.

mtbr member
    Good to know- I am looking for a third rack of this type (tray-type) and this one looks interesting.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dnlwthrn
    I hardly ever transport FEWER than 3 bikes, sometimes up to 5 in my vehicle. So for me, I'm looking at $300 for the base, and then another $600 for 3 more add-ons. I'm sorry, but that's just not worth $900. Yes its slick, easy to use, no plastic, etc., but I'd rather spend the extra $$ on bike parts or gear. A T2 rack with the 2 bike add-on is almost $300 cheaper.
    And difficult to put on and take off easily. For us, that would mean it wouldn't get used. There is no way my wife can put on the T2 for 4 bikes by herself. I believe that weighs near 80lbs.

So, what is cheaper? The rack that that costs more that gets used all the time or the cheaper one that never gets used because of it's size and weight?

It's not worth it to you.

Which one would you buy if money were not an issue at all?

J.

mtbr member
    Well, that's a question I'd LOVE to have to answer. But until money is not an issue, I'll stick with my statement above.

Like I said, it is a slick rack with lots of positives. I just don't see a 4 bike version of it being worth $900.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    If money weren't an issue, which is the better rack?

That doesn't mean you have to buy one. Just which do you see as better from a feature perspective?

J.

mtbr member
    To be honest, I think the 1Up rack could be awesome. However, I've not had a chance to actually use it. On the other hand, I've used the T2 rack quite a bit and feel comfortable with its design. The question of how well the 1Up rack holds the bikes is still in my mind, and probably won't be answered without actual experience with it.

The issue of installing and removing it is probably the biggest potential problem, but I haven't had any issues with the weight of the T2.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'd like to see them reduce the cost too but I'd guess that means China mfg instead of in WI.

J.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Instead of starting another redundant thread I just wanted to echo the sentiments of the other 1up owners now that I've finally gotten mine.

In a word, the rack is: amazing. Its fit and finish is lightyears ahead of my Thule roof products and the Saris and Yakima hitch racks I've seen with my two eyes. I can't compare it to the Kuat. I doubt that they are as light or well built.

Cost is definitely an issue if you know you'll be carrying more than one (and esp painful if you need to carry four). Personally, I saved money by going with the 1up since I don't need more capacity. In the short-term, my Honda Fit has plenty of internal capacity to carry another bike or two and the riders to ride them.

FWIW, YMMV, etc, etc.
    Last edited by racerwad; 04-20-2010 at 01:13 AM.

mtbr member

and finally, tray options that can be either roof top or hitch mounted

J.
    Do they sell a kit for that? Can not find one.

mtbr member
    Mkey, parted with $299 for the first tray, will wait on their answer about the roof capable extension. That is exactly what is needed, as my R-class does not have a hitch, and I only occasionally would need a roof rack on it. Main rack will live on Odyssey.

I like the fact that I can use it with only a single lightweight tray and quickly detach it and throw into car if not in use. Semi-permanent heavy racks did not appeal to me.

So i would need a roof-mountable tray, and foldable tray in addition.. Pricy, but seems quite worth it.
    Last edited by Broccoli; 04-20-2010 at 08:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Mine was the first production one. They were going to offer them on the website. I'm sure you can get it just by calling them. Now THAT's customer service in my book.

J.

mtbr member
    i think when you add in the cost of locks for the t2 arms and the hitch lock the prices are much closer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutcat
    i think when you add in the cost of locks for the t2 arms and the hitch lock the prices are much closer.
    They do not seem to be directly comparable, from what I understood. I have tried to play with T2 and other, and did not enjoy the handling and storage. Not very concerned with weight, I am sufficiently strong, but the logistics of taking it off and storing.. And I want my wife to be able to take it off - and she is not a weightlifter..

If I get this roof mountable tray, this will more then cover the price difference. I was ready to order Yakima Highroller in addition to a hitch rack for our van. Now that i would need to bring my daughters bike in addition with mine..

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I agree with the handling and storage aspects. I've used a Saris and Yakima hitch racks. They held the bikes fine but were more of a pain than the 1up to remove, store, and reinstall.

I also dig the blue and red anodization on some of the components. Very NASA

A

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    Do they sell a kit for that? Can not find one.
    I have been bugging them every few months on when the roof mount version will be available, and they keep saying they are working on them. Latest update said May.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Really.

I mean, I have them right now. Hmm.

My feedback to them was to create a better rack to tray interface. The one they have nowi is fine, but it's a little fiddly to attach. It's the standard bolts with a plate around the bar kind of mount. They are pretty intent on mechanical design and perhaps they are looking at something that is easier to mount and faster. Not a huge deal either way, but would be nice.

J.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wankel
    I have been bugging them every few months on when the roof mount version will be available, and they keep saying they are working on them. Latest update said May.
    Latest update said June. Dang. Oh, fine, will do with one tray for now.

Quote Originally Posted by 1up USA
    We are waiting for the long tray material to arrive so we can make the roof trays. Check back in June we should have it available then.

mtbr member
    Latest update said June. Dang. Oh, fine, will do with one tray for now.

That, and they apparently want to jack up the price a bit on that version.. That's annoying, I have assumed it would not cost any more.

Waiting for my base rack to arrive on Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by 1up USA
    We are still working on the price so we can't accept a advanced order.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    How much more do they want to charge?

Presuming it's reasonable, there would be added cost. They have to drill and machine the slots in the bottom of the tray for mounting on the bars and there is the hardware kit that you need to physically mount it to the bars. Otherwise it requires the same identical hardware as for the hitch rack. So there is considerably additional changes.

J.

mtbr member
    How much more do they want to charge?

Presuming it's reasonable, there would be added cost. They have to drill and machine the slots in the bottom of the tray for mounting on the bars and there is the hardware kit that you need to physically mount it to the bars. Otherwise it requires the same identical hardware as for the hitch rack. So there is considerably additional changes.

J.
    But then you do not have a folding mechanism.

Don't know; if they jack it up it would be much less of a deal. I kinda assumed based on your story that it would be the same.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    So what's the verdict with these and their compatibility with 29r's?
    Are bikes just as secure as they would be on a Thule T2 or Yakima?

Any one have any issues with similar size bikes or say a road bike and mountain bike interfering with each other because of spacing?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by eman2
    So what's the verdict with these and their compatibility with 29r's?
    Are bikes just as secure as they would be on a Thule T2 or Yakima?

Any one have any issues with similar size bikes or say a road bike and mountain bike interfering with each other because of spacing?

Thanks
    I don't know if you are asking two separate questions about compatibility and security, but I can answer the latter. I had a Sidearm roof rack (which has the same securing mechanism as the T2) and this is far better. That isn't to say the T2 is bad, because it isn't. It's just that this one is better. There is some wiggle due rotation around the headset but it's really minimal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    To the current 1up rack owners: how well do larger (2.3-2.5) tires fit?

Thanks!
    Ordered them to fit my Fatbike...3.7" tires. They came w/ wider spacing and an extension to fit the effective 29" wheel (fits my regular 26 and 29er's fine too)

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    But then you do not have a folding mechanism.

Don't know; if they jack it up it would be much less of a deal. I kinda assumed based on your story that it would be the same.
    The only difference between folding and non-folding is cutting the tray. That's it. They both bolt on in the same places with the same hardware. The tray for mounting on the roof then is machined more to mate up with the roof mount kit.

I can't remember what it cost, but I bought the extra mount kit to mount the trays to the bars. Couldn't have been much because I don't recall the cost.

J.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I just got one of these racks and I'm very happy with the rack itself. I had it shipped to Canada through UPS and got dinged with like a $70 UPS brokerage fee not including taxes. If your ordering from Canada I would suggest calling and asking them to ship through USPS or something other than UPS. Seemed like a pretty steep 'brokerage fee' to me. Live and learn I guess, racks great though!
    Last edited by Rumlan; 04-26-2010 at 09:56 AM.

Enjoyin' life....
    29er FYI....I asked about the arms being 29er friendly and Cal told me they now can ship the rack with longer arms that work well with 29ers. Just have to specify it on the order form, in the comments section. The longer arms will work with the other tires sizes as well.

I'm thinking that this is the rack I'm going with....over the Raxter and the Kuat NV.....
    Wally

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    It's a great rack and Cal is extremely helpful and flexible.

J.

mtbr member
    Got my base rack. Bolted on Drawtite in the morning, with my 20month old holding tools and getting under the Odyssey with me to his mother's disquietude.

I should say that all other tray racks are cheese, glad I researched this before following the crowd to Kuat or Thule T2. Difference of being able to just hook it up in under a minute - or fold it back and store it in a car when the bikes are off - is critical. Ability to have just one tray on is extremely convenient.

It seems that in the long run it should be easy to maintain and repair if need arises.

Now I am bummed a bit that I did not know about availability of longer arms - and the delay of roof top compatible item. Well, at least I have a chance to order 29r compatible roof-top compatible addition.

As an engineer I am not sure about the main bolt that tray halves pivot around. But I guess that is good enough.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

I should say that all other tray racks are cheese, glad I researched this before following the crowd to Kuat or Thule T2. Difference of being able to just hook it up in under a minute - or fold it back and store it in a car when the bikes are off - is critical. Ability to have just one tray on is extremely convenient.

As an engineer I am not sure about the main bolt that tray halves pivot around. But I guess that is good enough.
    This definitely the response I had. After owning and using just about all the brands except Kuat I can't imagine owning anything else. The pictures on their website are absurd and even pics from other owners don't really do it justice.

As for the bolts which the trays pivot on-and I'm not and engineer-it doesn't seem to me like they are under that much stress in normal use, right? Also, since the components are all replaceable, maybe you could "trade-in" your 26er arms for 29ers?

Andy

mtbr member
    Also, since the components are all replaceable, maybe you could "trade-in" your 26er arms for 29ers?
    As my wife did not enjoy being put on 29r - even as she is 5'8" and definitely fits one - and I prefer 26 in long travel form myself - I will always have a 26r in the family, so I guess I will just get the second (and third after my daughter gets on 24" in a couple years) that is a bit more wide tires 29r compatible.

I agree that 1up's web site is not up to the level of their product - and misses some critical information - but that is much better then the other way around.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Good point about the site. I also checked out the bolts for the pivots. I assume you meant they are not very aesthetically pleasing, perhaps? Just curious more than anything.

mtbr member
    Couple notes..

Weight of the base with the first tray was 24.5 lb / 11.1 kg.

I would definitely go for slightly longer arms. On my Kona Coiler - with longish wheelbase and high volume 2.4" tires - I would not mind if arms locked up just a tad further. It will most certainly be needed with a fat tired 29r. Stock arms are fine for most MTBs - like on my TransAm with 150mm fork (and longish wheelbase) and 2.25 tires, and certainly more then enough on 100mm travel Yeti with 2.1" tires..

Will check if I can retrofit longer arms - at least one - when ordering the second roof top compatible tray.

Good point about the site. I also checked out the bolts for the pivots. I assume you meant they are not very aesthetically pleasing, perhaps? Just curious more than anything.
    I thought about how they are loaded and wear, but I better not speculate, as it seems to be a safe assumption that 1up folks know very well what they are doing.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks for the information..

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Will check if I can retrofit longer arms - at least one - when ordering the second roof top compatible tray.
    I look forward to seeing if that's an option. I like running nice wide tires and while the rack has never let me down, I'm all for more security.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have a question about the bike stability while on the road using the 1up rack. Everyone seems to be discussing the weight and ability to quickly and easily install and remove the rack. How well does the rack support and stabilize the bikes while in transport. To me, that's the primary concern. A nice, new bike is not cheap, and $500 bones for a good rack is a small price to pay for a secure ride (not security from theft, but secure as in stable).

My question is how well do bikes ride on the rack? And what is the mechanism that holds the bike to the rack, the pressure from the "rollers" pushed against the tire?? Any chance of the bikes coming off, assuming the rack is installed and used correctly, and no abnormal outside influence?

Thanks for those who can provide input.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dlcrow
    I have a question about the bike stability while on the road using the 1up rack. Everyone seems to be discussing the weight and ability to quickly and easily install and remove the rack. How well does the rack support and stabilize the bikes while in transport. To me, that's the primary concern. A nice, new bike is not cheap, and $500 bones for a good rack is a small price to pay for a secure ride (not security from theft, but secure as in stable).
    Bike is held by the rollers on the tire. It does not look like it is going anywhere. I will be utterly surprised if it fails in any form to hold the bike in place. Glancing in the rear view mirror when riding on a local serpentine road seemed to show that everything was dead solid. There is some minor visible flex in the arms and the rack if you push and pull your bike, and I think it is a good thing to cushion the road rattle.

It certainly feels like a better way to hold bikes that all the hanging racks that interfere and snag with cables - and if you use that bar that goes in between the stem and the seat it does not feel safe again carbon seat rails and adjustable seatpost - if you have one. Wheel do not hang and rotate, bikes do not bump against each other, etc..

On long trips I will clip a bungee cord from one arm to another to soothe my paranoia about tire deflating. It would still probably hold fine with a deflated tire - but I also do want a slightly longer arm to push it a bit further for a long wheelbase fat tire bike..

Two Tired

How solid is the connection between rack and hitch?

How solid is the connection made between the "expander ball" and the hitch? From the on-line description, it seems like turning the "anti-theft" Allen screw presses the ball against the inside of the hitch, so the friction between the ball an hitch is all that holds the rack on. Their claim is that there is little "pull out" strength needed, which makes sense when compared with a trailer. I understand about the shear strength of the traditional pin, but I am not really clear on how the expander ball remains solidly connected after all of the bumps and twists that inherently occur while driving a few hundred miles on even a good road. Anything that reduced the friction at this junction (ice, grease, etc.) might also cause problems.

Other bolts that are subject to this type of vibration often have cotter pins or similar devices to prevent the bolt from rotating after it has been set. There does not seem to be anything like this on the anti-theft bolt. Even this solution would have no effect in situations where friction might be reduced.

Have I missed something about how this expander ball works? I (and the person behind me on the freeway) would hate to see several expensive bikes and an expensive rack "go rogue", so I would like to understand how this part of the system works.
    Let the good times roll.
    trailroller.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CheapWhine
    How solid is the connection made between the "expander ball" and the hitch? From the on-line description, it seems like turning the "anti-theft" Allen screw presses the ball against the inside of the hitch, so the friction between the ball an hitch is all that holds the rack on. Their claim is that there is little "pull out" strength needed, which makes sense when compared with a trailer. I understand about the shear strength of the traditional pin, but I am not really clear on how the expander ball remains solidly connected after all of the bumps and twists that inherently occur while driving a few hundred miles on even a good road. Anything that reduced the friction at this junction (ice, grease, etc.) might also cause problems.

Other bolts that are subject to this type of vibration often have cotter pins or similar devices to prevent the bolt from rotating after it has been set. There does not seem to be anything like this on the anti-theft bolt. Even this solution would have no effect in situations where friction might be reduced.

Have I missed something about how this expander ball works? I (and the person behind me on the freeway) would hate to see several expensive bikes and an expensive rack "go rogue", so I would like to understand how this part of the system works.
    I haven't had any issues with the fitting system loosening at all. It's stupid strong. The rack has been in production for a while so I imagine that they've had other users beta test the system. In the few weeks I've had it I've probably put a few hundred loaded miles on the rack (on paved roads) and there hasn't been any loosening. I've taken the rack off once to put more reflective stickers because I'm nerdy like that. The bolt seemed as snug as the day I put it on. For the first few weeks I checked the bolt daily and there was never any variance in torque according to my racerwad torque wrench. I've called them a couple time with questions before and after purchase and they were helpful each time. I encourage you to give them a call and get it from the horse's mouth.

I'm going to test it on a road trip from WA to PHX later this summer but this weekend I'll be going down to Central OR (~250mi one way). I'll let you know how I fare.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    What is preventing someone from just opening the quick realeases and taking your whole bike? It does not appear that the frame is very secure from a theft standpoint.

Enjoyin' life....
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynastar
    What is preventing someone from just opening the quick realeases and taking your whole bike? It does not appear that the frame is very secure from a theft standpoint.
    Your lock? I have a Yakima hanging rack which has three rubber straps holding the bike on, its pretty easy to remove those as well. My lock keeps it secure.
    Wally

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The only sort-of secure bike rack is the locking fork style (front wheel off). All other types that just hold the wheel...well, just holds the wheels (wheels come off..duh). A simple cable lock works for light protection.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    As the other posters have mentioned, the obvious answer is a lock. I've had a Thule SideArm and it's locks are laughable but they are convenient. My friend's Saris doesn't have any locks, either.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CheapWhine
    How solid is the connection made between the "expander ball" and the hitch?
    I would say - bulletproof. It ain't going anywhere.

What is preventing someone from just opening the quick releases and taking your whole bike? It does not appear that the frame is very secure from a theft standpoint.
    I have a cable that can be threaded through bikes and to a hitch. Enough to deter a casual thief. Against a pro - the ability to easily take the rack off, fold it and throw into car - and bikes either inside the car or in your hotel - is a much better defense then an integrated lock anyway.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Does the rack accept 29ers out of the box

I tried to call 1up today but they haven't returned my call. I won a rack on ebay and I'm wondering if I need to order longer arms for my 29ers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nbwallace
    I tried to call 1up today but they haven't returned my call. I won a rack on ebay and I'm wondering if I need to order longer arms for my 29ers.
    If you have large volume tires and especially a full suspension bike - with its longer wheelbase, I would think you want longer arms - I do.

My current plan is to get the second tray - once they release the roof mountable version with longer arms and swap one arm with the first tray. One standard and one longer on each should be fine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    It's my understanding that it does accept 29ers out of the box. Someone here used it for theirs but having the longer arms would probably help. I'm thinking that I might do the same for my 26" since I have nice big tires.

talentless hack
    Just received mine yesterday. I ordered it with the longer arms. This rack is AMAZING. So well thought-out and put together. Even the shipping boxes are well designed!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumlan
    I just got one of these racks and I'm very happy with the rack itself. I had it shipped to Canada through UPS and got dinged with like a $70 UPS brokerage fee not including taxes. If your ordering from Canada I would suggest calling and asking them to ship through USPS or something other than UPS. Seemed like a pretty steep 'brokerage fee' to me. Live and learn I guess, racks great though!
    That's why I'm not buying a 1up. If a vendor insists on UPS to ship from the US to Canada, I won't be supporting them.

That's unfortunate, since the 1ups are so well designed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Did you actually call them to discuss ways to ship it?

J.

ride the moment
    The pics I posted are of my 19" frame 29er with fat Kenda Nevegal's. It's in there solid and I don't ever worry about it, however I do feel like I'm probably close to the limit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbrain
    The pics I posted are of my 19" frame 29er with fat Kenda Nevegal's. It's in there solid and I don't ever worry about it, however I do feel like I'm probably close to the limit.
    Full suspension and slacker head angle with 100mm+ fork would probably add an inch or two to the wheelbase - and that's where it can be too short. Especially with some of the fatter tires..

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I just got a 1up rack the other day and used it in the 4 bike configuration for the first time today. I must be a real wuss as the flex I was seeing through the rear view mirror was giving me butterflies. Also, I noticed my rack is a little different than the ones in the picture with the Volvo. My blue locking tabs are on the same side as the slide release and the two interfere with each other when the rack is being broken down, no big deal though, I just need to remember to hold the blue locks in place while I fold the rack.

JohnJ80,

You appear to have had your rack for a while. Do you notice much vertical flex when driving? I see what appears to be 3 or 4 inches of vertical flex. Does the fear of catastrophic failure fade? If the rack were made of steel the flex wouldn't be nearly as unnerving as the aluminum makes me. Maybe I'm more familiar with steel than aluminum.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by edthesped
    ... I must be a real wuss as the flex I was seeing through the rear view mirror was giving me butterflies...
    Yup

In all seriousness, I wouldn't worry about the flex. The rack itself isn't moving as much as it appears (both in your mind and in real life). If you were to compare the construction between the 1up and other mainstream brands, the 1up is far superior in my experience.

Can you post pics of your rack? It sounds strange that the blue tabs are on the same side of the rack as the slide releases. Does this mean that the trays fold towards the rear of the car?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    All racks will bounce a bit. The 1upUSA flexes a lot less than most. Try some of those single beam steel racks and they wobble considerably more (and twist more). You also need to make sure you have it mounted enough in the receiver per the directions.

3-4" of vertical flex in a 4 bike configuration is nothing. Most racks have a lot more than that.

If you look at the construction of the 1UpUSA rack you will see that it is a redundant design. The main bar that comes out of the receiver goes through a hole in the cross members and is then welded in place. If the weld were to fail the rack would still not fall to the ground. The bar stock that remains in both the cross members and coming out of the receiver is quite stout and much stronger than is required. It is not going to fail either (or bend).

J.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    OK, I was wrong about the locking tab location. They are the same as in the photos. I spoke with someone at 1up today and was told that they tested it in with 8 trays and a large person jumping on the end and it still didn't fail. He said he's never heard of one failing and said that I could take a video and send it to him to review if I wanted. I might just do that for grins.

I guess I'll just refrain from looking in the rear view for a few trips then maybe the paranoia will fade.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Also, the movement in the vehicle that is causing the rack to move is also causing everything within the cabin (including you) to move. It might be exaggerated in your car; I know I have had vehicles where the rear view mirror was holding on for dear life most of the time.

If I were you, I would make a video, using as sturdy of a camera mount as possible. Even better if the cam had some sort of optical stabilization. Then send it to 1up like they asked and see what they say. Maybe they'll have some sort of improvements thanks to your research. Then their racks will be that much better than they already are.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Also, the movement in the vehicle that is causing the rack to move is also causing everything within the cabin (including you) to move. It might be exaggerated in your car; I know I have had vehicles where the rear view mirror was holding on for dear life most of the time.

If I were you, I would make a video, using as sturdy of a camera mount as possible. Even better if the cam had some sort of optical stabilization. Then send it to 1up like they asked and see what they say. Maybe they'll have some sort of improvements thanks to your research. Then their racks will be that much better than they already are.
    I'm pretty sure the rack will hold up just fine as many have been sold and unlike the Thule nothing has been written about failure.

In all of my reading I haven't seen anything written about the flex of the unit. If it's normal and it appears to be, perspective buyers should be aware of it so they aren't as unnerved as I was on the first use. I live in hilly Western PA and the roads are terrible so the flex of the rack is amplified with every rough road and pothole I traverse. As far as I'm concerned the rack is well worth the $$ and as a fabricator myself I have a fair understanding of what it takes to make something like this and I'll gladly pay more to keep a fellow American fabricator in business.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Got mine yesterday and popped it on my Grand Cherokee this morning.

First, I got the single-bike version. This rack is relatively expensive and I wasn't stoked that it took 10 days from date of order to date of delivery. If you're looking for knocks, that's all I've got.

The rack is gorgeous. It pops into my receiver very tight and close up to the bumper, which I like. Once torqued, the rack is super-tight in the receiver; zero slop. Slapped my El Guapo in and it's literally a no-brainer. Locks in tight.

I love the modularity of the rack. 90 percent of the time I'll just have one bike. I will buy an extension to carry a second bike when necessary. The craftsmanship on this piece of equipment is truly exceptional. It's pretty rare that you spend more $$ than you want to and are perfectly pleased with the result.

mtbr member
    Still waiting on a roof mountable version. Got another promise it will be made soon.

The main tray performs flawlessly so far. Saves a lot of time and effort.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Yep. Just ran mine through a 2500 mile out and back to the mountains drive with 4 bikes on it. Hit some hellacious bumps with it at 80mph. Everything was fine.

J.

Enjoyin' life....
    I just placed an order for a 3 bike edition largely based on the positive posts here and the response from 1 up. I'm very much looking forward to checking this bad boy out.

I'm a 1 bike guy about 90% of the time but there are rare times I carry 2-3 and I figured I might as well go for it in one swoop. I love being able to configure it how ever I want for what ever I want.
    Wally

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I am certain that you will have the same positive experiences that everyone else has had. I've put thousands of miles on mine and haven't had any issues.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I might add, and I'd do this with any bike where tire inflation controls some of the fit on the rack, I like to put a toe clip strap around the wheel and tray on the outer most bike. Never was an issue, but if you got a flat, you'd not have to worry at all. Cal at 1UpUSA says you don't have to worry anyhow, but I do it with all the racks like this (T2, Highroller on roof, etc..) for really long trips or trips where there is a big altitude change. I'm just a paranoid guy, I guess. For short trips, not an issue.

J.

mtbr member
    I might add, and I'd do this with any bike where tire inflation controls some of the fit on the rack, I like to put a toe clip strap around the wheel and tray on the outer most bike. Never was an issue, but if you got a flat, you'd not have to worry at all. Cal at 1UpUSA says you don't have to worry anyhow, but I do it with all the racks like this (T2, Highroller on roof, etc..) for really long trips or trips where there is a big altitude change. I'm just a paranoid guy, I guess. For short trips, not an issue.

J.
    On a recent long trip I have clipped one arm into another with a bungee cord, passing it around bike's top tube. For that nice fuzzy feeling. I doubt it made any actual difference in security - but I have a bowl of various bungee cords in my garage - got to use them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

J.
    Huh. I have never even thought of this contingency though I have used a small diameter cable as a tether in case of massive failure with new-to-me racks. I don't use it any more. When I have varying tire pressures (eg-hardpack one day and Duthie the next) I just adjust the pressure the arms put on the tires. I double check everything by pulling up on the saddle and stem. Usually, I am able to unload the rear suspension of my Fit so I haven't been concerned about the ability of the rack to retain my bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    oh, for sure. I'm just paranoid and overthink this stuff. Part of the reason is that when we go, the truck is so full of stuff you can barely see the bikes in the back. So, this way I just don't think about it anymore. It's a super easy fix and takes no time.

I have to tell you, the bikes were just solid on the rack all the way from the midwest to the mountains (1100 miles one way) at 80+mph. We hit a monster bump at really high speed (way too fast) on I-76 on the outskirts of Denver where there is road construction and a big bump between new and old pavement. Everything was fine.

J.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I hope it didn't seem like I was dogging the toe clip strap idea...It is a good one and if you have no visibility, it's worth the piece of mind. Sometimes on the webz it's hard to remember that there are individual situations that dictate different choices. Anyhoo, I just got back from a ride that had 20ish miles on FS roads with plenty of potholes and washboard. No loss in bike retention tension (?) but I did hit a hole fast enough to flex the bike enough to get the handlebars to tap the rear window on my car. FWIW, it's a Fit and the bike has wide Azonic Strip bars. I should probably slow down, too.

A

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Oh, no worries. Like I said, I'm just paranoid.

Like the other hitch racks I've had, when you cantilever out all that weight on the end of a lever arm, you are going to get a bounce in the rack - there is just no way around it.

J.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Getting mine Monday

Can't wait to get mine. Picking mine up in Buffalo at our forwarding company during a family shopping trip.
    I have no worries whatsoever after reading all the user reports here.
    As to cost, not so much different than Kuat or Thule, at least up here in Canada that is.

Enjoyin' life....
    Mine's been ordered for 8 days...I hope to get my 3 tray some day. I noticed 1Up likes to get paid since my card was charged 8 days ago, but they like to take their time to ship anything.

I'm not overwhelmed by the service, I hope the rack lives up to it's billing.
    Wally

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Wally
    Mine was just under 2 weeks from time of order til Monday's UPS confirmation.
    Apparently they were waiting in on some parts. Hopefully yours were waiting in on the same ones as mine.
    If you haven't heard back give them a shout, which is what I ended up doing.

mtbr member
    Great reviews

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Yep. Just ran mine through a 2500 mile out and back to the mountains drive with 4 bikes on it. Hit some hellacious bumps with it at 80mph. Everything was fine.

J.
    When you add additional trays do you tighten the nuts or just the cap screws? One nut is relatively easy to tighten but the other can only be turned 1/4 turn at a time.

Also, I had the opportunity to follow the wife while she had it set up with 2 bikes and the rack was rock steady going down the road. It looks really sweet going down the road too.

Enjoyin' life....
    I just happened to hit the 1Up website and see the announcement that they are out of stock on everything until August 9th.

I know they are small but why charge someone when they know they can't deliver it? If they did take your money, then why not tell you they can't deliver? Their service is about as bad as it gets, pretty close to the point where I don't do business with them. Real close.

It might be a great bike rack but there are others too....
    Wally

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    To mount an extra tray, there are two coarse thread theft proof bolts you turn. You can turn them 1/2-3/4 turn at a time. Because they are coarse thread, you only have to make a couple of turns. Adding an extra tray, literally, can be done in well less than a minute.

@ocho - I'd give them a call. I've found their customer service to be nothing but top notch. Yes, they are a small company, but they follow through well.

J.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Ocho-

I agree with your complaints. Were you advised of the delay when you ordered? I have had good experiences with them, both with their product and their service, but if I were you, I wouldn't hesitate to tell them how you feel.

Enjoyin' life....
    No, I wasn't advised and there wasn't a disclaimer on the web page saying they were out of stock. I actually went to the web page to look at something else and saw the disclaimer. That was a bummer.

Yeah, when I get some time I'll try and call...searching for some tires too...
    Wally

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocho
    No, I wasn't advised and there wasn't a disclaimer on the web page saying they were out of stock. I actually went to the web page to look at something else and saw the disclaimer. That was a bummer.

Yeah, when I get some time I'll try and call...searching for some tires too...
    I kept inquiring about roof compatible trays, and guy was quite responsive on the e-mail - but could not help, as they are apparently out of capacity to produce enough. My initial order for the first tray was shipped promptly. Would not knock on their customer service - they are just not very big.

Call them and check. Maybe it is on its way - they do not have a fancy tracking system.

Aug 9 is not that far down the line. My guess it would be worth the wait, but yeah, I completely understand your frustration. I am just as frustrated waiting for the second tray now.

Yeah, there are other racks, but now I would not want another.

Enjoyin' life....
    August 9th is right at 3 weeks from the time I ordered. All they had to do was say they were backed up on the 21st (a day later) and thats good customer service. Being smaller, they should be able to handle fundamental, personal tasks like that. But to charge someone's card and not even have product for 3 weeks and not tell them - thats not very good service. Not to me at least. I did try calling and got a nice customer service machine so I left a message. If I don't hear anything by days end, I'm afraid the love affair with 1Up is over for moi. I'll gladly take a product thats 90-95% of theirs for 100% decent service.

And like you say, maybe my order snuck in under the out of stock condition so maybe its being packaged and will be shipped. If they call back or email me to tell that, it would be a nice gesture on their part.
    Wally

mtbr member
    I'll gladly take a product thats 90-95% of theirs for 100% decent service.
    I have not found a product that is even half as useful for me, but I guess you mileage may vary. I will keep waiting for roof compatible rack availability.

Did you ever order custom bike frames?

Enjoyin' life....
    Yeah, I've custom ordered lots of items in my life time (frames, rifles, audio gear, motorcycle engines, furniture) and the good guys communicate. Are they all good guys? No. But they don't get any more of my business if they aren't. And I try hard to do business with good guys, hence me ordering from 1Up after the reviews here. Besides, a 1Up Quik Rack isn't custom, its off the shelf.

Key to customer service is communicating. People want to know whats happening.

As far as product, I've carried bikes with my current rack and its always worked. I was looking for something different when I went looking and found 1Up. I'm only carrying 3 bicycles on the back of my car and there are lots of products that will allow me to do that. I have no idea how you carried bikes previously but in my mind the improvement offered by the 1Up is maybe 20-25% better - about the same to me for any style rack. I mean, not having a 1Up Quik-Rack isn't going to keep me awake nights. Its only a bike rack.
    Wally

mtbr member
    . I have no idea how you carried bikes previously but in my mind the improvement offered by the 1Up is maybe 20-25% better - about the same to me for any style rack. I mean, not having a 1Up Quik-Rack isn't going to keep me awake nights. Its only a bike rack.
    Other racks carry bikes just fine - it is removing and storing the rack when you do not need it what is important to me. Thule and Yakima and Kuat are way too heavy and big and pain in the ass to install.

Yes, it is only a bike rack. Not sure why your expectations are so high as far as communication. To me it would be only a mild annoyance. Good luck with other vendors.

Enjoyin' life....
    Well, Its 6 pm here in the midwest and I have requested a refund due to their extremely poor customer service stemming from their lack of attention in answering their phone or emails. I gave them 2 days to refund the $697 or I will file a dispute.

Harsh, eh? You bet. I have a zero tolerance level and while some people say no communication with a vendor supplier is a mild annoyance, thats cool. People like that have to be out there so places like 1Up can exist. I like up front, accessible people in my business dealings. I think 2 days is plenty for a refund, they took much less in charging me for something they couldn't deliver.

Personally, I leave my rack on during my riding season...its there all the time. I just lower it and the tail gate to load things. No big deal. So removal and installation is no big deal. I'd see no difference if it was a Kuat...Raxter yes, since they don't tilt.

Looks like a Kuat NV is in my future. Y'all enjoy those racks you have. Nice stuff indeed but not for me.
    Wally

mtbr member
    Well, Its 6 pm here in the midwest and I have requested a refund due to their extremely poor customer service stemming from their lack of attention in answering their phone or emails. I gave them 2 days to refund the $697 or I will file a dispute.

Harsh, eh? You bet. I have a zero tolerance level and while some people say no communication with a vendor supplier is a mild annoyance, thats cool. People like that have to be out there so places like 1Up can exist. I like up front, accessible people in my business dealings. I think 2 days is plenty for a refund, they took much less in charging me for something they couldn't deliver.
    "Extremely poor customer service" is straight up bullcrap. It is just you being overly demanding to a small vendor who could not keep up with production for a change. Hardly a reason for a hissy fit in my books.

Good luck - and your loss.

Enjoyin' life....
    Bullcrap. Right. They never communicated one word to me after charging me and for your info, no one should charge until they ship - period. Then they never said they were out of stock - they should have communicated that.

In your mind, I should just wait a month and if I hear nothing thats okay? They're small so they should be excused for simple courtesy and manners. BS dude. If you like to operate that way, you are in luck cause there are tons of places eager for your business.

I don't see me being overly demanding in any way. They have $700 of my cash - and never said anything to me in over a week. Don't you think that if they could update their site to say the product is out of stock, they could have sent me an email? Made a call? I mean making a call takes about the same amount of time as it does to load a bike into their rack. Thats overly demanding? asking that they do that?

I'm starting to think you must be 1Up or a shill for them.
    Wally

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Look at the Kuat NV and Sherpa as well. I'm sure you will run across the T2 and the Yak Holdup. I have owned the NV, T2, and the Saris Cycle On Pro. Kuat is small but CS is excellent. You can get 10%-15% off pretty easily...maybe even 20% off.

Enjoyin' life....
    Update!
    I did hear from 1Up about 10 minutes ago. He said he was sorry for the poor service and issued my refund. Says my rack would have shipped tomorrow...yeah, tell me that in an email where he issues the refund. Instead of just calling and telling me before hand. Whether I believe the guy or not, I'd still rather do business with someone else.

I think the rack is one of the best out there. Its just too bad the place is so poorly run. Anyway, we move on.
    Wally

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I was going to suggest that you exercise their return policy since you seemed to be so bummed, but it looks like you got it worked out. Sometimes you take a risk when you work with a small manufacturer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    To mount an extra tray, there are two coarse thread theft proof bolts you turn. You can turn them 1/2-3/4 turn at a time. Because they are coarse thread, you only have to make a couple of turns. Adding an extra tray, literally, can be done in well less than a minute.

J.
    Do you tighten the nuts on the backside of the bolts as well or leave those loose? The instructions only mention tightening the theft proof bolts and makes no mention of the nuts. I see the nuts serving two different possible purposes, either keeping the bolts from being totally removed, or to lock the threads so the bolt doesn't back out. I've been tightening the nuts and the bolts but tightening the nut on left side of the tray shown in the picture below is a real PITA because the side of the tray interferes with the wrench.

Just to make sure everyone is clear, I'm referring to the nuts on the back side of these bolts...

OCHO, Sorry to hear about your trouble with 1UP but unfortunately issues like this can happen. Many things along the supply chain can affect 1UP's ability to maintain stock so even though they may have the capacity to do the work material availability may be an issue. I called after I received my rack with questions and got a live person right away and all of my questions were quickly addressed so I guess individual experiences my vary.

At a time when many U.S. manufactures have one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel I'll try to support them as much as possible even if I have to pay a premium to do so. With regard to 1UP I'm very happy I did.

Enjoyin' life....
    People, my issue wasn't with stock availability. It wasn't in the wait or delay. I told Cal I was fine with that. My issue is in no communication. No returned calls, no returned emails, nothing. The guy NEVER got back to me except when I told him I was going to dispute the charges on my card. Magically, he emailed me and processed a refund.

I work with small companies all the time, I have worked in several startups and I truly believe in supporting US manufacturers and small shops. I have a set of wheels being built now that I really don't need just to support a good guy, small shop in the upper midwest. He had a serious issue in his shop halting production but found time to tell me my wheels will be delayed slightly, was that okay. I've had parts built by other small manufacturers, frames, you name it and most communicate. 1Up decided to work differently. The guy might be a great engineer but he sucks in the business world. He deserves to go under if he can't handle it.

Yeah, I heard all about the great customer service why do you think I forked over $700? For whatever reason, there was a lapse and I'm just not a tolerant type when it comes to people acting ignorant like that. You want my business, then act like it. I don't feel like I lost a thing either, its a bike rack...I have another on order already and will be just as happy. I'm 1.5 hrs from 1Up, maybe I'll take a ride up there on a bike and see what goes on, maybe not - I really don't care.
    Wally

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    The Kaut rack would have been my second choice but they didn't have a 4 bike option when I ordered my rack. What did you end up going with anyway?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    People, my issue wasn't with stock availability. It wasn't in the wait or delay. I told Cal I was fine with that. My issue is in no communication. No returned calls, no returned emails, nothing. The guy NEVER got back to me except when I told him I was going to dispute the charges on my card. Magically, he emailed me and processed a refund.

I work with small companies all the time, I have worked in several startups and I truly believe in supporting US manufacturers and small shops. I have a set of wheels being built now that I really don't need just to support a good guy, small shop in the upper midwest. He had a serious issue in his shop halting production but found time to tell me my wheels will be delayed slightly, was that okay. I've had parts built by other small manufacturers, frames, you name it and most communicate. 1Up decided to work differently. The guy might be a great engineer but he sucks in the business world. He deserves to go under if he can't handle it.

Yeah, I heard all about the great customer service why do you think I forked over $700? For whatever reason, there was a lapse and I'm just not a tolerant type when it comes to people acting ignorant like that. You want my business, then act like it. I don't feel like I lost a thing either, its a bike rack...I have another on order already and will be just as happy. I'm 1.5 hrs from 1Up, maybe I'll take a ride up there on a bike and see what goes on, maybe not - I really don't care.
    I'd say that's pretty harsh and my experience is completely 180 degrees from yours. I base that on a lot of interactions with them both pre and post sales. So, I'd agree with your characterization about not being tolerant. Too bad we probably won't get the other side of this one either.

If you don't care, why would you ride over there to see?

J.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    JohnJ80,

Do you tighten the nuts on the backside of the bolts? If so how do you deal with the tight access on the left side of the rack?

Enjoyin' life....

If you don't care, why would you ride over there to see?

J.
    Because the town, Plattville WI, is right in the area where we do a fair amount of motorcycle riding and bicycling...its sort of on the circuit so its not a big deal. The area is pretty rural, quiet.

The other side, if you can call it that, is his reference to being busy, so busy he "spends every waking hour" working on racks. Thats what he said. I just question how if he found time to answer my email and refund my money, he couldn't have put that same time to possibly better use by emailing me or calling me to give me a status. Thats all I asked for.

FYI, for people looking at something else...Kuat sent me back a note to reflect that their NV with the new 2 bike add-on is 80 lbs.!!! Crap, thats a lot of weight. I won't be going with an NV. I need a 3 bike rack and most everyone sells either 2 or 4 bike racks. Tough to find a 3 tray....so anyway thanks to you all for the reviews and information. Ride and smile people, see you around.
    Wally

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I don't disagree with your premise that the vendor should have communicated better. I'll also say that my rack took 10 days from day of order until it arrived at my door, which I thought -- in 2010 at least -- was several days too many.

That said, the 1up is by far the best rack I've ever used and I'm glad I waited for it.

And, pardon me for saying so, if your telephonic/e-mail communication skills are similar to your posts on this thread, you probably came off like an arse. In my experience, no one will go out of their way to help someone who acts like that. But I could be totally offbase.

Good luck with whatever other rack you choose.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Ocho,

I have the same issue as you. I ordered on 7/15/2010 and my credit card was charged immediately. I called last week to get a tracking number and was told that my product had not shipped due to a supplier issue but that the issue would be resolved and my unit shipped by this week (7/26). Then I noticed that they updated their site with the out of stock notice. I agree with you 100% that they should not charge until the product is shipped and they should notify pending orders of any delays. They were, however, very nice on the phone and since I do not intend to use the rack until 8/20 I will give them a few more days to ship my order. I will cancel my order if they do not ship it out soon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    JohnJ80,

Do you tighten the nuts on the backside of the bolts? If so how do you deal with the tight access on the left side of the rack?
    No.

What do you mean, "tight access on the left side of the rack"? You get a full half turn on the bolts and it only takes a few turns to tighten them down. Maybe I'm not understanding what you are asking.

J.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    JohnJ80,

My understanding is no, you do not need to tighten the nuts. I think they are there to prevent you from fully removing and losing the special bolts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    No.

What do you mean, "tight access on the left side of the rack"? You get a full half turn on the bolts and it only takes a few turns to tighten them down. Maybe I'm not understanding what you are asking.

J.
    OK this isn't even close to scale but it may help illustrate what I'm trying to ask. When I assemble two trays I tighten the security bolt (socket head cap screw) with an allen wrench, this part is quick and easy, on the back side there is a nylock nut as well and it is a real pita to tighten with a wrench and a socket will not fit on the nut due to interference issues with the tray. Do you tighten the nylock nut too or just leave it loose? The instructions only show the bolt getting screwed down with the allen wrench and makes no mention of the nylock nut on the back side. I hope this kind of clarifies my question.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    OK this isn't even close to scale but it may help illustrate what I'm trying to ask. When I assemble two trays I tighten the security bolt (socket head cap screw) with an allen wrench, this part is quick and easy, on the back side there is a nylock nut as well and it is a real pita to tighten with a wrench and a socket will not fit on the nut due to interference issues with the tray. Do you tighten the nylock nut too or just leave it loose? The instructions only show the bolt getting screwed down with the allen wrench and makes no mention of the nylock nut on the back side. I hope this kind of clarifies my question.

Thanks

I don't touch the nylock nut...I think it just prevents the bolt from coming off. Adding/removing trays takes me no more than 20 seconds. Just tighten/loosen the 2 bolts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    This is a little more accurate of a view. I prefer to tighten the nut down to eliminate the possibility of the bolt coming loose but then again nylock nuts aren't made to be tightened and loosened all of the time either.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cytoe
    I don't touch the nylock nut...I think it just prevents the bolt from coming off. Adding/removing trays takes me no more than 20 seconds. Just tighten/loosen the 2 bolts.
    Thanks, I think I have to shake my design for steel mill use mentality and enjoy the rack.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Update

I received my order today 7/30 which was a pleasant surprise. On the phone, 1UP said it would ship 7/26 and it did.

Ocho - it does seem like you missed yours by one day but I agree there should be better (some) communication by the company with regards to when the items ship, etc. I never received an e-mail saying the items shipped but I am glad it did and I am excited to use this rack.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I used the rack in the 3 bike configuration this weekend. I didn't tighten the nylock nuts this time and the capscrews stayed nice and tight. Once again I was able to follow the wife home and there was minimal flex in the rack as viewed from another vehicle. I really want to get 4 bikes on and see what it looks like. My son is home from camp this week so maybe I'll get the chance in the next few days. I can install the rack and bikes in less than 10 minutes casually. That includes moving my car onto the street, my driveway is pretty steep, carrying the rack and individual trays to the car and loading the bikes. The rack is definitely easy to use. At the trail I can load or unload 3 bikes in less time than it takes others to load one bike on their trunk mount racks.

I'm really happy I kept the rack now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I found that after the last trip we did - 2500 miles with 4 mountain bikes on the back - the screws that hold the add-ons together were just as tight, if not tighter, than when I put the rack on before leaving. One should have no worries about those loosening.

J.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Just got my 1up rack in the mail today! Man that thing is a fine peice of machinery although it was a bit heavier than I was expecting, but it's definitely built well.

They didn't ship my order out right away either...took them about a week and a half after I called. No big deal, but I was anxious to get the rack.

Can't wait to use it. I think I'm going to like this thing!

mtbr member
    Update!
    I did hear from 1Up about 10 minutes ago. He said he was sorry for the poor service and issued my refund. Says my rack would have shipped tomorrow...yeah, tell me that in an email where he issues the refund. Instead of just calling and telling me before hand. Whether I believe the guy or not, I'd still rather do business with someone else.

I think the rack is one of the best out there. Its just too bad the place is so poorly run. Anyway, we move on.
    So you threw down a hissy fit and will be stuck with an inferior product for a long time - that you will get no sooner then 1up.

Smart decision making. Good luck.

Enjoyin' life....
    No, good decision making. I don't think 1Up is superior given their crap customer service. To me service is part of the whole equation. You can blindly love the guy, the product, or what ever. I give a crap. I'm happy dude, and happier yet I didn't support a scumbag operation. End of story.

Do you really think he was ready to ship? Don't you think if that was the case he would have answered the previous phone calls or the emails? I think he was full of it and had nothing to ship.
    Wally

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Again, it's too bad because it seems yours was just missed out as mine was also shipped on the 26th, last Monday.
    I did not find this out til I emailed them and the reply was I was sent the UPS confirmation, which I hadn't been. I received it within 10min which shocked me because up until then, replies usually never reached back to me until a day later. Again, might not have ever received the confirmation if I never emailed, so I could coordinate a trip to pick it up.
    I too run a small business (3-4 employees) and sometimes "things" meaning clients, with no malice towards any particular client, get out of hand/control due to either inventory or queue process like ours, crap happens and occasionally someone will get put out or thrown to the end of the line. I know it's not good business practice but in our case, I like to keep my customers abreast of any sensitive timelines so they know what to expect. It just happens and you hope to yourself it doesn't happen often. That can't be said of all businesses because if you have to wear too many hats, something needs to give and it looks like 1Up needs to follow up better in the future in communication during the order process because it seems like they are right on top of post sales customer sales.
    It was received last Thursday and I picked it up Monday.
    All in all it is a very nice rack, does what it's suppose to do and look unique from all others out there.
    Maybe we just need to get off of Ocho's back and be glad he's getting his soon.

cheers

Enjoyin' life....
    hmto, thanks.

Look everyone. I had a bad experience with 1Up. Its a case of where I just don't do business with a company like that. I know that the vast majority of you all have had a wonderful experience but for what ever reasons, mine didn't work out.

Yeah, I'm bummed. I did a ton of research into bike racks before deciding on the 1Up. I communicated with Cal prior to making my decision. He responded in a timely fashion and I felt good about ordering. I ordered and after a fair amount of time I emailed, then called, then emailed then called to try and see if I could find out whether my rack was one of the "wait until August 9th" racks or not. I wanted to use the rack for a planned trip. I got no response - nothing. Not until I emailed that I was going to contact my credit card company and lodge a dispute. I fully explained the thing about communicating in my emails to 1Up and admitted that I could live with a delay but could I just know? After repeatedly asking I finally got very frustrated and asked myself if this place was where I wanted to buy from. What if I had a problem with my rack when and if I ever did get it?

I still think the 1Up is a great designed product but its not the only one out there. I count the service I get as an equal portion of the product whole. I didn't get good enough service to warrant me spending the money I had so I asked for a refund. The refund was prompt, I'm okay with it and I went ahead and bought a rack which fits my needs perfectly.

Okay? Done? Enjoy your Quik-Racks and I will enjoy mine. No need to bash one another's choices.
    Wally

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    No, good decision making. I don't think 1Up is superior given their crap customer service. To me service is part of the whole equation. You can blindly love the guy, the product, or what ever. I give a crap. I'm happy dude, and happier yet I didn't support a scumbag operation. End of story.

Do you really think he was ready to ship? Don't you think if that was the case he would have answered the previous phone calls or the emails? I think he was full of it and had nothing to ship.
    It's important to note that this in only in your case and it has not been the case with pretty much everyone else. We've seen threads here where every other rack guy has had a case where something went wrong and it wasn't solved promptly. However, these are all isolated instances and it's really not fair to condemn a company on the basis of one isolated incident. It's also useful to remember, presuming everyone worked for a company at some point in time, that every company screws up or fails to meet expectations at some point and so did the company you worked for. Did that make them, and you, "full of it" or a "crap" company? Answer: no.

So in this case that does not make them a "crap"company or their entire customer service "crap" either. It means they didn't do it to meet *your* expectations in one instance - nothing more. If that happens all the time, then the blanket statement applies.

You choose to portray 1UpUSA, and particularly Cal, as "full of it." Not so, he just didn't meet your expectations for communication in this one instance. That's it. Nothing more and I'd have to take exception that you can make such a statement and try and be "done" with it. You experience is largely singular.

J.

Enjoyin' life....
    You can spin it how ever you like but it did happen. Who knows, maybe this is trend? I can only relate my experience. Statistically, its an anomaly but this was just a review of my rack which didn't happen due to a failure on the manufacturers part. Not a statistical analysis.

And yes I am done with this thread and it is finished. Over.
    Wally

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Exactly my point. one instance does not constitute a trend. See lots of it? then maybe. Otherwise, it's a good thing to just portray it as one event instead of saying "crap customer service" as if it happens every time.

j.

Enjoyin' life....
    But it did happen to me every time. The service I got certain wasn't good. So does "less than real good" service sound better to you?

Jesus. Get over it. I don't think Cal is losing any sleep over my refund, why are you?
    Wally

mtbr member
    But it did happen to me every time. The service I got certain wasn't good. So does "less than real good" service sound better to you?

Jesus. Get over it. I don't think Cal is losing any sleep over my refund, why are you?
    We most certainly could not care less about your refund.

We just pointing out that our experience was different - for the education of others. They can draw conclusion what experience was more relevant for their purchasing decisions.

I am still waiting on a roof compatible tray version. That's the reality of a small manufacturer.

Enjoyin' life....
    I hope this all helps someone. Remember, I used your experiences and the positive experiences of others to make my decision to purchase.
    Wally

mtbr member
    Racks are available, purchased one and now just waiting for shipping.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    It isn't just small companies. iPHones are out at 3-4 week leadtimes. iPads are an on again, off again supply situation.

In this recession, only a fool is holding inventory. Especially this time of year in the bike industry, maybe you've noticed all the sales?

J.

mtbr member
    Read lots of posts, and decided the 1 up was the right rack for me. Order it exactly 2 weeks ago and received it was promised today. Nice machined aircraft grade aluminum. I should know, I spent 20 years in the Air Force and I know how important quality is. Mounting was not as easy as others say but not due to the rack itself, I was just being very careful while installing. Would work perfect on many vehicles, not perfect on my Honda CRV because my door opens to the side and not up. I will test is out real soon, hope the bike stays on. It's a 29 er and it fits no issues at all. Now for the ultimate question, security is always an issue. I teach at a high school and would like to carry the bike to school so I can ride afterwards on days I do have afterschool activities. What is the best option for locking the bike to the rack ensuring anti theft. I'm thinking hardened steel cable and pad lock. Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Congrats on the rack, mine is 3 weeks old and loving it. I have people wait for me at the trailhead parking lot just to ask about it as they are somewhat rare up here in Canada.
    As MTBers they love the blue and red bits.
    Safety, depends what kind of standing cred you have with the school kids I would think, especially high school age. Me, I'd take it in to class if possible or if you're tight with janitors, leave it somewhere out of sight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Go here- the heavy-duty chains are probably the toughest. They have several options available.

http://www.lockitt.com/chain.htm

I have an Abus armored cable lock which is probably not as tough as the heavy-duty chains but a guy with a bolt cutter could not do anything but cut the vinyl cover.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I used a hardened chain and ABUS lock to secure my bike for hours on end during my 3k mile road trip. Never once had an issue with bike security, either with the my locking system or the rack itself.

mtbr member
    Best option is to bring it in the school, I have a room to store uniforms so not an issue keeping it there. I would rather not have to do that but thinking about it makes me realize how covienient it would be for someone to take since they know I am captivated in the school for long periods of time and have no view of my bike or car throughout the day. Chain and lock make sense, is there not a cable that is hardend steel. Looks like google will have to be my friend today.

Two Tired
    Definitely take it inside If you teach at a high school. A heavy chain may save the frame and one of the wheels, but all the small bits are easy game. Just one disgruntled student or showoff with Allen wrenches or cable cutters will ruin your day.
    Let the good times roll.
    trailroller.com

mtbr member
    Didn't think about that, and since I do park by the vocational area it would be very easy. Not so worried about my current students, however students no longer in the program and others are the ones that I am concerned with.

mtbr member
    he just didn't meet your expectations for communication in this one instance. That's it. Nothing more and I'd have to take exception that you can make such a statement and try and be "done" with it. J.
    John, that may be so but in most cases a vendor only gets 1 opportunity to get it right, especially with premium products. These racks are nice and well designed, but in the end, it's the product AND the service that sells it. I don't think attacking him for a poor experience that was obviously the fault of the vendor makes any sense. It's the perception he was left with and he's entitled to it.

I personally haven't bought one of their racks because I felt the communication was rather poor both by email and phone... I was going to pick up 4 trays. Customers and potential customers deserve good service, which is even more critical when word of mouth has a much greater impact on the success of a product.

I do agree with the sentiment that the charge should not be put through until the product is ready to be shipped, based on principal more than anything else.

In the end though, it's just a bike rack, albeit a nice one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    One datapoint does not equal a trend. Blanket statements condemning an entire company on the basis of one experience are not responsible. Keeping it in context is important. Besides that, I thought we argued that all out a month or more ago.

J.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    One datapoint does not equal a trend. Blanket statements condemning an entire company on the basis of one experience are not responsible. Keeping it in context is important.

J.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tazdevl
    I personally haven't bought one of their racks because I felt the communication was rather poor both by email and phone... I was going to pick up 4 trays. Customers and potential customers deserve good service, which is even more critical when word of mouth has a much greater impact on the success of a product.
    Dang, people are seriously spoiled in U.S.

When I want something, I just go and get it. I go not expect a shoulder rub and a vase of flowers on top. No need to go bonkers over a phone call.

Now, the real problem is that is no sign of roof top compatible trays that they thought they will get back in June. They answered my e-mails promptly allright.

I would much rather have an item in hand then a pleasant conversation.

mtbr member
    I have had my 1Up for just over a week, and all I can say is wow. It does what I expected and does it looking very cool. Saw a Kuat today on the back of a Exterra, very cool looking and it had integrated locking cables. But the wheel holders were plastic, well, that's what they looked like. If so, good for this year but after that I am pretty sure here in Tennessee the summer heat and sun will have their way with them. 1 Up, all aluminum. No such issues! Yes, after I ordered it they did take my money and no I did not hear from them. WHo cares? All that really matters is I have a bike rack that was designed to last at least my lifetime.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I received mine today and hooked it up in about 10 minutes which includes one attachment for a second bike. Took my time to make sure all parts were working. This rack is as advertised, high grade material, looks and feels strong, should last forever. Easily mounted to hitch and easy to mount bike. Bikes seem pretty secure, went on a test drive at about 65mph top speed to test for vibration or any loose ends. None found. My first experience with this rack was with my buddy who recommended it.

And FWIW to the guy who received bad customer service from 1upUsa, sorry dude, seems like your situation sucked, but I kept in contact with them because of your post and they were pretty awesome to deal with. They do charge you though before its ready for shipment.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I've had my rack on my car for a few weeks now and I get comments on it all the time. Definitely the best rack out there in every single category (except price of course, but the value makes up for that). There's nothing more functional, better looking, more durable or better designed for longevity.

As for the comments in this thread regarding bad customer service, I don't think it's going to have any effect on 1Up's reputation. Anyone reading this thread can see that those are unwarranted criticisms and that the quality of this rack is bar-none.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I've had nothing but incredible customer service from 1upusa. They were fast and courteous. Resolved my issue and exceeded my expectations.

mtbr member
    No need to go bonkers over a phone call.
    Who's bonkers bud? I just elected not to buy it based on the lack of communication. Pretty simple and unemotional.

Sounds like my experience and the other are outliers. In the end gang... it's just a bike rack and not worth getting worked up over.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'm really glad this was posted after I purchased mine or I may have passed on 1up and purchased a different brand. I still find the view from the rear view mirror a bit disconcerting so I try not to look. Loading and unloading bikes is amazingly simple but I still have to adjust the horizontal position of the bikes to minimize interference. I typically get 3 bikes loaded for every one bike loaded by others at the trail head without effort.

I recently had one problem though. One of the locking clips was sticky and didn't fully engage. I was driving down the highway and saw the outermost bike moving side to side, I figured it was paranoia on my part and refused to look back anymore. When I got home one of the wheel support arms was about 4" away from the wheel and the bike was able to freely roll side to side on the rail, the locking clip did not fully engage and was a bit "sticky", didn't freely pivot about the bolt. I loosened up the fastener on the locking clip and now make sure they are fully engaged by pulling outward on the wheel support arms after I load the bikes to ensure the locking clip has properly engaged.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I still find the view from the rear view mirror a bit disconcerting so I try not to look.
    Same here. I get nervous watching the bikes bounce up and down everytime I hit bumps or undulations in the road just right. I know "it's supposed to bounce like that", but sometimes it just looks like it's going to be too much to handle. Knock on wood....hasn't been too much to handle yet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way. Whenever I look in the rear view mirror I try to think of the wing of an airplane, they bounce all over the place during taxi, take off and landing and thankfully, rarely fail.

mtbr member
    Are these still on 2 week lead time? I'm thinking of placing an order for one, but it's going to suck waiting for it to ship if that's still the case. Does anyone have a good picture facing the rear of the vehicle of what the rack looks like with only 1 tray and folded up? I'm going to put it on my Dodge Charger. I like the idea of only using 1 tray and having a low profile rack when folded up. 95% of the time I'm just carrying 1 bike.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

Tree Crasher
    It says in red type to allow two weeks for your order to ship. I don't know what all the confusion is about.
    CRAP... I'm in the wrong gear

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockhop
    It says in red type to allow two weeks for your order to ship. I don't know what all the confusion is about.
    It's not confusion. I get it. I'm willing to wait if it's as good of a rack as everyone says. I was just saying it will suck. I'm an impatient man.

I just wish they made em in black to match my black car.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    My experience with 1UP has been stellar. I have had the rack for a year and wanted the new longer 29er swing arms. They sent out a prepaid shipping label for both base and extensions. Kept it just for a few days and sent back the upgrade rack and some stronger end base plate for 3+ racks.. Absolutely no cost to me and free shipping both ways. Just amazing service.

On the other hand, I am having some issues with a bike light CC return and most folks love the service Go figure. Perhaps these small companies just have off periods/vacations.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1
    It's not confusion. I get it. I'm willing to wait if it's as good of a rack as everyone says. I was just saying it will suck. I'm an impatient man.

I just wish they made em in black to match my black car.
    It does suck to have to wait, I agree. However, it is totally worth it. If no one has gotten around to it, I'll get a pic of a single folded up. I did see one someplace so try searching the old threads. It is very nice how low profile it is.

I also agree with the color option. Since the rack comes clear anodized with some colored bits, why not another color? I mean, it would cost more but I bet they could charge a lot more than their production cost; something tells me cyclists are just vain enough to pay the extra cost

Also, I wouldn't worry about the movement. It really is minimal. A friend had my rack on their car and I followed it (with my bike) for the better part of 200+ miles on not so good roads and you couldn't see anything moving or shaking. It just seems worse in the car.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    It does suck to have to wait, I agree. However, it is totally worth it. If no one has gotten around to it, I'll get a pic of a single folded up. I did see one someplace so try searching the old threads. It is very nice how low profile it is.

I also agree with the color option. Since the rack comes clear anodized with some colored bits, why not another color? I mean, it would cost more but I bet they could charge a lot more than their production cost; something tells me cyclists are just vain enough to pay the extra cost

Also, I wouldn't worry about the movement. It really is minimal. A friend had my rack on their car and I followed it (with my bike) for the better part of 200+ miles on not so good roads and you couldn't see anything moving or shaking. It just seems worse in the car.
    +1. Good description.

J.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    If they did offer colors, I would still chose what they are shipping today. The Type II anodizing, which can do all the colors, it really a pretty fragile surface as compared to the Type III, which is typically black or green, and a lot more expense too.

Over time, the edges and certainly the trays would remove the TYPE II color and just looked awful,IMHO. The base AL might look boring, but it never get any worst looking. And really fit my desire for fuction over fashion. And one they I did not like about the KUAT painted surfaces- too fragile. Dirt wheels are like sandpaper.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skoor
    If they did offer colors, I would still chose what they are shipping today. The Type II anodizing, which can do all the colors, it really a pretty fragile surface as compared to the Type III, which is typically black or green, and a lot more expense too.

Over time, the edges and certainly the trays would remove the TYPE II color and just looked awful,IMHO. The base AL might look boring, but it never get any worst looking. And really fit my desire for fuction over fashion. And one they I did not like about the KUAT painted surfaces- too fragile. Dirt wheels are like sandpaper.
    Well I just want black to match my black Dodge Charger.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Well I just want black to match my black Dodge Charger.
    That's what is good about this particular rack - you just take it off when it is not used with a bike, fold it, and keep in the garage (or trunk). No need to ride around with a 100lb contraption hanging on your car all the time.

I am rather sure that if I had a permanently attached rear rack on my Odyssey, my wife would back into somebody with it. Takes me a minute to put 1up on only when needed - no messing with hitch pins either.

Now, where is my roof compatible tray? How did JohnJ80 score his pair?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

I am rather sure that if I had a permanently attached rear rack on my Odyssey, my wife would back into somebody with it. Takes me a minute to put 1up on only when needed - no messing with hitch pins either.

Amen to that...

I always take the rack off of our Odyssey when not in use.

Unfortunately our 2000 Odyssey's tranny is crapping out so we're patiently waiting for the 2011's to come out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Amen to that...

I always take the rack off of our Odyssey when not in use.

Unfortunately our 2000 Odyssey's tranny is crapping out so we're patiently waiting for the 2011's to come out.
    slightly off topic...
    LOL, not really, sorry to hear as my 99' Odyssey also bit the tranny dust this past March. It was the second one and seeing that some of the 05's and on also had the same problem I stayed away.
    Driving the new swagger wagon (siena) and loving it.

As I've had more time with the rack, it is slightly more convenient compared to my last Yak. I still need to carry a tool to remove, and if reefed on there is a ton of force required to remove, especially the additional carriers as they do not seem to have the same amount of play in them when attaching on. It's a heavy "snap" and then released so be prepared or you get a nasty bruise on your wrist somewhere.
    But then you do feel that they will never come off, seeing that a lot of us have worried about the security of the rack staying put. All in all I love the convenience of not having to try to hoop a fully onto small bars to fit.

Phil from San Diego
    I've been asking 1UpUSA about a black version and the word I got since June was that they are planning to make a batch of black anodized version soon as they get more parts. It'll cost maybe $20 more.

So I've been waiting and calling every few weeks... and it just looks like they are so backed up with orders that they can't set aside parts to do the batch of black racks.

As far as the anodizing might wear off... I've thought about that. and i don't know what type of anodizing they use. Anyway, I'll call them again later this week and see what's up. I've waited 3 months for the black racks... maybe I'll give in and just get the current version.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    What size hitch are you guys using with this rack, a 1 1/4 or a 2"? Does anyone have any comments about the adapter or whatever is required to make it fit a 2" hitch?

I need to put a hitch on my Civic and I was originally going to go with a 2" hitch to be more universal, but if this rack works better in a 1 1/4" I may consider going that route instead.
    Last edited by TsukubaSteve; 09-07-2010 at 10:58 AM.

mtbr member
    I just ordered mine today. Now the waiting game begins. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to ship. I can't wait to stop using the trunk rack on my car. I might actually get some use out of my trunk now that I won't have to take the rack off to get into it.

Those who have ordered from 1up, do they email you with a tracking number when it does ship, or was it just a wait and see, surprised to find it when you got home 1 day kind of thing?
    LMB

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TsukubaSteve
    What size hitch are you guys using with this rack, a 1 1/4 or a 2"? Does anyone have any comments about the adapter or whatever is required to make it fit a 2" hitch?

I need to put a hitch on my Civic and I was originally going to go with a 2" hitch to be more universal, but if this rack works better in a 1 1/4" I may consider going that route instead.
    I have a Fit and I installed a 1 1/4" hitch. I've used the rack with their supplied adapter in a 2" hitch and it works fine. There was no functional difference between the two.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I just ordered mine today. Now the waiting game begins. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to ship. I can't wait to stop using the trunk rack on my car. I might actually get some use out of my trunk now that I won't have to take the rack off to get into it.

Those who have ordered from 1up, do they email you with a tracking number when it does ship, or was it just a wait and see, surprised to find it when you got home 1 day kind of thing?
    They sent me a tracking number. I forgot how long it took but it was 1) not that long and 2) longer than I wanted to wait. You'll enjoy using it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hmto
    slightly off topic...
    ...seeing that some of the 05's and on also had the same problem I stayed away.
    I have a 2005 - presumably with a somewhat fixed transmission, but not yet the Ridgeline's one (IIRC). I guess I will keep it for another 5 or so years.

New Sienna looks good. But the previous ones have had their fair share of issues.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    We test drove a new Sienna and it is sweet. It has a lot of spunk and it turns on a dime. Consumer reports says it's noisy but we didn't have that experience when we test drove it, but then again we're used to a 10 y/o odyssey that sound almost as bad as my 73 chevy van did when I was younger well, not quite.

I realize this is hijacking the thread a bit, but how do you like the Sienna coming from an Odyssey?

If our choice were between a 2010 Odyssey and a 2011 Sienna we would take the Sienna in a heartbeat, but since the redesigned 2011 Odyssey's should be hitting the show room any time we decided to wait before we jump. Besides, I'm a little PO'ed at Honda over the transmission. They quoted $4750. to repair the tranny in a 10 y/o van that was involved in a class action lawsuit over the exact issue I am experiencing. I've also read that newer Odyssey's burn a bit of oil too, I don't expect to have to add oil to a vehicle between oil changes.

Sorry for hijacking the thread...

mtbr member
    Yeah...so about that 1Up USA Quik-Rack...

Anybody find a photo of 1 bike rail folded up vertical against a vehicle? I couldn't find a good view of this. I'm curious what it looks like from behind when folded up and only 1 tray on.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'll try and get a pic today...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Since I kind of hijacked the thread I decided to help look for some pictures... None of these are of my setup, just pictures found online...

More pics here...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/779456...7618889046214/
    Last edited by edthesped; 09-08-2010 at 11:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Nice that's exactly what I needed. Thanks. That is pretty low profile. I hope it doesn't take too long for me to get mine.
    LMB

mtbr member
    I've also read that newer Odyssey's burn a bit of oil too, I don't expect to have to add oil to a vehicle between oil changes.
    No oil burning on my 2005. I drove the new Sienna - and it just does not click with me - and my wife. Will wait on longer term reports if the 2007+ transmission solved the problem they had. Just in case, changing fluid on a regular basis.

It is not a thread hijack - we are discussing a vehicle that carries the rack.

mtbr member
    Drool... nice Knolly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    No oil burning on my 2005. I drove the new Sienna - and it just does not click with me - and my wife. Will wait on longer term reports if the 2007+ transmission solved the problem they had. Just in case, changing fluid on a regular basis.

It is not a thread hijack - we are discussing a vehicle that carries the rack.
    That is a must to be safe. Don't know what your mileage is but based upon history I would do it every 40-50000km or in your case 25-30000 miles

J
    ROOOOOOOO
    I just ordered one. I called them today to ask a question, left a message.

mtbr member
    Tuesday will be 1 week into the wait since I ordered mine. The 2 weeks waiting for it to ship is killing me. I already installed my trailer hitch, so I feel like a dork rolling around with a trunk rack and a clearly visible trailer hitch on my car. I've already been asked at my group rides several times why I have a trailer hitch but using a trunk rack.

It needs to get here already.
    LMB

mtbr member
    It's worth the wait. This rack rocks!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Need yet another rack and am looking at this one too but not sure I can get past the swaying thing....yet. Both my T2s fit really snug in the hitch receiver to begin with. Then when I tighten the bolt, the thing is rock solid with no sway at all. Has anyone figured out a way to stop this rack from swaying?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I believe the 1upusa rack will sway less than your T2. THe base that connects to the main structural member is a lot wider and stiffer than what the T2 does.

Mine does not sway. If I hit a big bump with 4 bikes on, it will do the up-down thing. But sway - no.

J.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    Need yet another rack and am looking at this one too but not sure I can get past the swaying thing....yet. Both my T2s fit really snug in the hitch receiver to begin with. Then when I tighten the bolt, the thing is rock solid with no sway at all. Has anyone figured out a way to stop this rack from swaying?
    Did you not see my posts from above? There is no "real" sway at all. A friend has a T-2 and while it's a great rack, there is a bit more slop in the ratcheting mechanism in the arm which holds the front wheel. The 1up's design just doesn't have that kind of slop because it has a different mechanism. To be honest, the sway from a T-2 (as seen from the inside) is probably much worse than from the outside, just like it is on the 1up.

mtbr member
    Good things come to those who wait :-) my new rack is should arrive in 2 daysI ordered it on the 1st day of September
    on a freeride

mtbr member
    Should have arrived today, no, tomorrow. Enjoy it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    just an observation/comment. i have a thule t2 and this isnt a thule is better comment. but more of a security issue. do any of you have pictures of your bikes secured? i never leave my bike alone on it but if i feel if i ever do someone will just come take the air out of my wheels and walk off with my bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

7th Generation Honda Accord with Quik Rack

Yeah...so about that 1Up USA Quik-Rack...

Anybody find a photo of 1 bike rail folded up vertical against a vehicle? I couldn't find a good view of this. I'm curious what it looks like from behind when folded up and only 1 tray on.
    Wish I could provide a picture of the racked folded vertical against the vehicle...except the rack cannot be folded vertical on my 7th generation Honda Accord (2003-2007).

The bottom of the bumper tucks back in about 3 inches and all the hitches I found lined up with the bumper edge.

Since the Quik Rack has only a 6 inch receiver stem, if it is entered in the hitch correctly, the rack cannot go vertical. It is fine in the other three positions. If it was only about 1.5 to 2 inches longer...(I am sure there is a joke in there somewhere).

I do not believe this will be on issue on most vehicles...just bad luck for me.

Great rack other than that small issue.

mtbr member
    I would appreciate some "secure" photos myself. Cable, lock, u-bolt, whatever has worked for you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtjim57
    I would appreciate some "secure" photos myself. Cable, lock, u-bolt, whatever has worked for you.
    I use a U lock on my Ody. It kind of looks like the picture of the Accord above. I only put it on when I'm parked and it's a bit of a PITA but I feel better when I ride away.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtjim57
    I thought I had a picture of a bike locked up on my rack, but I only have one that shows the lock in it's "undeployed" state:

IMG_0519 by buadyen, on Flickr

Basically, I have a Kryptonite chain and two u-locks. One is a small Kryptonite Evolution lock (it came with the chain) that locks the chain to one of the safety chain hooks on my hitch. Then the other end of the chain wraps around the body of the rack and is locked in place with a bigger u-lock. When I want to lock a bike, I just move the u-lock up and lock it through the rear wheel and triangle and around the seat post. I thread a cable though the front wheel.

For those that wanted to see what the rack looks like folded up, I took some photos last year when I first installed the rack that shows it in the various positions:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/779456...th/3572159600/

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    thanks buadyen, those flickr photos are a good idea.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I use a hardened chain and ABUS lock through the main triangle of my frame. I used to have a Thule rack and I fail to see how it (or any other rack) is more secure? For a 1up rack without a lock, you don't even have to remove air from the tires, just open the rack. For any rack there are security limitations.

As others have said, just make your bike less convenient to take than someone else's. Sucky that it has to be that way but it's true.

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 434