1up Quick Rack PLUS Addon Security- Mtbr.com
    No Clue Crew

1up Quick Rack PLUS Addon Security

Has anyone come up with or found an ingenious solution to securing your Addon rack to your 1up Quick Rack? I'm guessing not since I've looked through a little bit of this forum and seems no beautiful solution has been found.

I've got the newest 1up and it has a lock that blocks access to the allen head bolt to loosen the whole rack. Just from the looks of it I'm guessing it would take little effort to use a hammer to break off the lock but it might deter most thieves.

But, there is no way to secure the addon to the quick rack itself. Until I come up with something I'll likely just secure everything with a long cable like I did when locking my bike to the old Thule except I'll route to secure the rack just as much as the bike itself.

Or maybe a small cable or U lock.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Somebody had a set up with a U-lock that went from the hitch to the main part of the main rack. Locked like it fit perfectly.

The security pins on the 1Up rack are not the standard security bolts. The pin in the center is larger so regular tools won't fit.

J.

No Clue Crew
    I found something similar while Googling the topic.

Not sure what you are saying about the "security pins." I think you may be trying to describe the special allen head screw with the hole in it but not sure...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    I found something similar while Googling the topic.

Not sure what you are saying about the "security pins." I think you may be trying to describe the special allen head screw with the hole in it but not sure...
    Yes. In other words, the security allen screws are not industry standard so tools out there are not supposed to work in the 1Up Rack. Theoretically, higher security.

I've had one since they first came out with three add on kids and now about 20K+ miles on it. I've never worried about the rack being stolen.

No Clue Crew
    That's good to know it's not a standard "hex with a hole" bolt but I'm still worried about it being swiped.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I use a small ulock to attach the rack to the hitch. Then if I want to lock the bike up, I use a long cable to wrap it around the bike and lock it using the ulock to the car.

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    What if you were to drill a hole through the two plates that connect the add on to the quick rack? Then maybe find a padlock that was long enough to fit through that hole? I just ordered my add on so I'll be doing some additional research on how to secure this.

Name:  addonadapter3.jpg
Views: 1278
Size:  43.9 KB

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    1up Quick Rack PLUS Addon Security-mlcom_product_140qlh.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by cycljunkie View Post
    What if you were to drill a hole through the two plates that connect the add on to the quick rack? Then maybe find a padlock that was long enough to fit through that hole? I just ordered my add on so I'll be doing some additional research on how to secure this.
    Just get a long shackle padlock and drop it over the bars where the add on meets the prior rack/add on. If you have more than one add on, just get keyed alike locks and one for each add on.

Model No. 140QLH | Master Lock.

There's a variety of lock shackle lengths and widths.

J.

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    Yes. In other words, the security allen screws are not industry standard so tools out there are not supposed to work in the 1Up Rack. Theoretically, higher security.

I've had one since they first came out with three add on kids and now about 20K+ miles on it. I've never worried about the rack being stolen.
    I'm pretty sure they are in fact industry standard, hex with a hole in the end. One of the other threads talked about it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    1up says no last time I asked them but who knows. Either way it's a deterrent.

No Clue Crew
    Just get a long shackle padlock and drop it over the bars where the add on meets the prior rack/add on. If you have more than one add on, just get keyed alike locks and one for each add on.

Model No. 140QLH | Master Lock.

There's a variety of lock shackle lengths and widths.
    I don't think this would work because of the thickness of both pieces of aluminum together. It's gotta be nearly an inch or thicker which makes for a lock larger than anything I've ever seen. Even the lock you linked to only has 13/16 space between both sections of the shackle.

Quote Originally Posted by cycljunkie View Post
    Name:  addonadapter3.jpg
Views: 1278
Size:  43.9 KB
    This is actually an exceptional idea based on the assumption that putting a hole in the aluminum would not weaken the racks in any way...

Drill the hole but make it big enough for one of their locks which is actually smaller than you'd need for your average padlock.

1UPUSA.com 2" Hitch Bar Lock

It would lock just like they lock the tires to the arms.

My thought, if someone was adept at welding aluminum, was to make a structure like they have on the racks main attachment to the hitch and weld it to the add-on racks. One could then use the stock 1up lock to secure the add-ons to the rack.

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-01-23 at 1.08.13 PM.png
Views: 1081
Size:  93.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    I'm pretty sure they are in fact industry standard, hex with a hole in the end. One of the other threads talked about it.
    1up says no last time I asked them but who knows. Either way it's a deterrent.
    It probably is an industry standard. Just one that no one uses. Or didn't. They used to replace your rack if it was stolen. Not any more...

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I'm just about to order a one 1UP hitch rack with 2 add-ons (4 bikes total). I'm thinking a cable lock will work just fine and I won't get the wheel locks.

Has anyone found good options other than the 1UP locks for the hitch or add-on rack?

Hitch Bar Lock
    $19.00
    1up Quick Rack PLUS Addon Security-2-hitch-bar-lock-1024x658.jpg

Add-On Lock
    $19.00
    Name:  Add-On-Lock-Bolt-180x140.png
Views: 799
Size:  16.1 KB

Wheel Lock
    $19.00
    Name:  Wheel_Lock_Long_-_display-180x116.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  16.2 KB

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    That is secure for sure. I would say I'm looking to cover more of the 80-90% range. If someone wants my stuff bad, they'll take it. At that point I would rather loose what ever they are taking and not risk more damage.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gundrted View Post
    That is secure for sure. I would say I'm looking to cover more of the 80-90% range. If someone wants my stuff bad, they'll take it. At that point I would rather loose what ever they are taking and not risk more damage.
    I just don't trust cables since they can be cut so easily. Most padlocks are brittle, and can easily be opened with a hit of a hammer. Like you said, if someone wants something they'll get it, but I just prefer to not make it so easy.

1up Quick Rack PLUS Addon Security-20150425_123649.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    I just don't trust cables since they can be cut so easily. Most padlocks are brittle, and can easily be opened with a hit of a hammer. Like you said, if someone wants something they'll get it, but I just prefer to not make it so easy.
    Agreed. That is way I'm questioning the locks from 1UP.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Does anyone know the diameter of the hole that goes in front of the bolt tensioning the rack to the hitch.

Its the vertical hole at the end of the 2in bar stock. It looks like a shackle diameter of .25in may fit.

1up Quick Rack PLUS Addon Security-2in-hitch-bar-1-1024x761.png

I'm thinking of this lock may work.

Model No. 1471DAT
    3-1/2in (89mm) Long Trailer Coupler Latch Lock
    https://www.masterlock.com/personal-use/product/1471DAT
    Name:  MLCOM_PRODUCT_1471DAT.jpg
Views: 790
Size:  2.7 KB

Here is a comparison of three hitch compiler locks.
    https://www.masterlock.com/personal-...475DAT,2847DAT

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Whichever lock you go with, make sure you grease the heck out of it. I would maybe even pack it in key hole and any opening then put extra to cover it.

My lock that I put on looks like it's seized due to weather and salt and have to cut it if I ever want to pull it out.
    2012 S pecialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29er

2017 SANTA CRUZ Hightower CC X01

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by HaxEJxuK View Post
    Whichever lock you go with, make sure you grease the heck out of it. I would maybe even pack it in key hole and any opening then put extra to cover it.

My lock that I put on looks like it's seized due to weather and salt and have to cut it if I ever want to pull it out.
    +1 on this. I always cover and lube my lock used in a rack.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I got a trimax 2.5in coupler lock and it fits great in the 1up. I don't keep my rack on the car at night on the street. It gets garaged when not in use. I feel this lick is much more secure the the one offered by 1up. It's also all stainless steel and has a round key. I don't grab a pic with it installed. The bung in the 1up is 2in. That means the lock had about 1/2in of play. This didn't bother me at all.

Trimax SXTC2 Premium Stainless Steel Coupler Lock (2.5" Span)
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000W0RPYW..._3N96AbW6P2YMK

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk