1up 1 1/4" vs 2" for 1-3 bikes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

1up 1 1/4" vs 2" for 1-3 bikes

Help!

Trying to decide between single 1up racks. I've read through the 1up mega-thread and various other threads and there is not much discussion about the 1up super duty rack.

I've got a transit connect with a 2" hitch. Will mostly carry a couple epics on it, but will occasionally carry some heavier bikes (may get an enduro soon). It seems that a few people have had trouble with the 1 1/5" quick rack with adapter in a 2" hitch. Also as an engineer, I appreciate that the 2" will be stiffer than the 1 1/5" (and the aluminum less likely to fail due to this).

The quick rack with add on tray is $520 with shipping, the super rack is $588, so the price is pretty close.

Finally, wondering on how the current tray powder coating is. I know a number of people had problems with the earlier powder coating. has 1up worked out those issues?

Grateful for any feedback!

-Monti

Picture Unrelated
    So I have the super so I can't comment on the quick rack but I can comment on why I chose the one I did. First off, I chose the super because of the ability to carry 4 bikes if needed; a couple years on and I still don't have the 4th space but I will get it at some point and I'm glad I have the option. Second, like you, my engineering background doesn't like adaptors and I will say that without the adaptor it fits snugly with no slop from the adaptor interface; no frightening wobble from your expensive bike tail.

Ultimately if you will commonly carry 2 bikes then the super is a great choice; it fits in your hitch properly and it's likely stronger and stiffer at the car interface. If you will often carry just one bike or if the weight of the rack is an issue when taking on or off then the quick rack might be a good fit.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Hi There!
    I don't understand all that highfalutin engineerin' talk, but I can guarndamntee you what: I have a 2" receiver and the Single Black Quik Rack; with the adapter on there (pre-installed from 1Up by the way) this thing is rock dang solid in my hitch. Ain't no fatiguing or wobble or slop...again assuming I know what all that means being I'm not no engineer and such.

The powder coating is just dandy as well.
    Last edited by TheGweed; 08-26-2016 at 01:25 PM.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    I have the 1 1/4 rack. I've had the 1up rack on my sedan for several years and just recently used the 2" adapter for the first time on my Ford F-150. My family and I went on vacation, driving over 1000 miles with 3 bikes loaded, using the rack and two adapters (two full size mountain bikes and one kids bike). I was super impressed how stable it was. No wobbling. The tightening bolt was still nice and snug when I got home.

mtbr member
    I have the 1 1/4 (only loaded up to 2 bikes) and haven't had any problems, although the few times I've had the 2" super duty on there it did seem like there was significantly less movement, but that's just anecdotal from looking at my rearview occasionally on the highway. Since it's only $60 more I'd go with the super.

No issues with the (black) powder coating after 1.5 years of living on my car.
    buzzes like a fridge

Picture Unrelated
    Quick note: my rack is not powder coated, it is anodized. It doesn't bother me but the black color (like any colored ano I've seen) has faded in the sun. I don't believe either the silver or black is powder coated unless this has changed since I got mine.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by montizano View Post
    I've got a transit connect with a 2" hitch. Will mostly carry a couple epics on it, but will occasionally carry some heavier bikes (may get an enduro soon). It seems that a few people have had trouble with the 1 1/4" quick rack with adapter in a 2" hitch. Also as an engineer, I appreciate that the 2" will be stiffer than the 1 1/4" (and the aluminum less likely to fail due to this).

The quick rack with add on tray is $520 with shipping, the super rack is $588, so the price is pretty close.

Grateful for any feedback!
    Get the 2" super rack. I am also an mechanical engineer, not that it matters much here.

I had a 2" hitch rack (that I made using old Thule Sidearm roof rack trays) on my previous car, and it was generally rock solid.

My new car has a 1-1/4" hitch on it. 2" was an option, but sticks out a lot and generally looks bad. I thought 1-1/4" should be fine for a 1up rack, tons of people use it without issue. The 1-1/4" 1up has a lot more torsional flex at the receiver interface than I was expecting. On bumpy roads the rack moves significantly when watching it in the rearview mirror. Combined with the inherent wiggle of the 1up trays, the bikes move around quite a bit, which is unsettling even though I know they can't fall out. I was expecting the setup to be more solid though. I am seriously considering swapping my hitch for the 2" version, or maybe something custom, to alleviate this issue.