1990-1993 Legacy?- Mtbr.com
    Portland, OR

1990-1993 Legacy?

Hey everybody, I have a 2005 WRX STi that I love and am now starting to tune for racing. Right now I am really not liking throwing my bike in the back of my STI, the body kit is kind of hard to get around and I hate putting my bikes on the roof. I recently got rid of my bike transporter (1992 Explorer) I want another subie, mostly something to really screw around in but also to transport my bikes.

I have been looking at 1990-1992 legacy's because of the 2.2litre engine possibly to try a little rally racing as well. Has anyone ever put a tow hitch on one of these to transport bikes? has anyone ever tried to fit a DH bike in the back seat? (without the wheels)

My Baby (cell phone pic, ran over my camera )

Potential addition to the collection

Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I have a trailer hitch on my 1993 Subaru wagon for my Thule rack, the 1 and 1/4 inch size receiver on the hitch, have carried 3 bikes (could carry 4) without any problems. The 2.2 engine is very fine, mine has almost 250k miles, still gets about 30 mpg on the highway fully loaded with the bikes (or without). -GT2005

mtbr member
    That's a clean looking Legacy! I used to have a 1990 and that thing fails to die. My parents are currently using it with over 300,000km!

Do you really need the back seats of the Legacy? If not, why don't you pull them out?

My father does this all the time and claims the seats can be removed within 5 minutes - and vice versa. Will require a few tools but if he can figure it out, I'm sure you can.

mtbr member
    how about a brat? part truck part car. put your DH bike in back and go. ohh, you could also do a wrx swap and really make it a beast

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Todd,

That's a pretty nice looking older Legacy that you are considering. Price, How many miles, etc.? -GT2005

Portland, OR
    Quote Originally Posted by GT2005
    Todd,

That's a pretty nice looking older Legacy that you are considering. Price, How many miles, etc.? -GT2005
    naw, sorry. Thats only a pic I pulled from the internet to give people an Idea what it would look like. BUT I am going to go look at a 1992 Legacy 4WD sedan Turbo tomorrow. Black with grey interior kind of like the one mentioned. 78,245 original miles, price of $4,100.00
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Todd, low miles sounds good, but seems a bit pretty pricey to me (unless it is exactly what you are looking for). Have you ever gone to the forum on ultimatesubaru.org? That would be some good reading for you about the Legacy. -GT2005

mbtr member
    I've had a 90 legacy since '02. Cars were a huge fascination for me until fairly recently. I would shy away from a turbo as a second vehicle. They're not significantly faster than the naturally aspirated cars, due to taller gearing, but they're noticeably less economical to run and theres the whole high mileage turbo bit. Of course, if you want to chase big power, the turbo is the way to go, although check what it will do to your classing in rallyx. My big hardtail fits in the back seat with the front wheel off and the fork flipped 180 degrees.

I'm running a hodgepodge of suspension and brake parts that came from various other subarus; early legacies were the first cars to use subaru's current basic platform- most engine/suspension/drivetrain stuff hasn't changed significantly.

Feel free to pm me, i've pretty much dismantled this thing a few times.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

Portland, OR
    Quote Originally Posted by GT2005
    Todd, low miles sounds good, but seems a bit pretty pricey to me (unless it is exactly what you are looking for). Have you ever gone to the forum on ultimatesubaru.org? That would be some good reading for you about the Legacy. -GT2005
    Actually, its a really good deal. this one is like the LSi edition? I know my friend called it the "Alpine" edition. The turbo's usually go for a bit more as well. I dont know if I'm going to buy it, because even for $1,600.00 I could get one that needs work that I can do myself. Never hurts to save money
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg
    I would shy away from a turbo as a second vehicle. They're not significantly faster than the naturally aspirated cars, due to taller gearing, but they're noticeably less economical to run and theres the whole high mileage turbo bit.
    um, really? having owned both a impreza RS and my WRX wagon, i would wager a lot that the turbo is significantly faster then the NA car.

i find the problem with my car in terms of MPG is that a turbo hurts you, as if i have two full DH bikes on top, i am constantly in boost, where as a NA car will just be trying hard and still not use as much fuel as i would.

Shane

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by paranoid56
    um, really? having owned both a impreza RS and my WRX wagon, i would wager a lot that the turbo is significantly faster then the NA car.

Shane
    RS and wrx are not a good comparison. Turbo legacy runs much lower compression, only 8psi of boost, no intercooler, and is lugging around 3.9 gears and larger wheels to the NA car's 4.11s. Add 200lbs of accessories and while it's still faster than the NA car, the difference is negligible unless you have them lined up at a stop. A automatic turbo is slower than a manual NA car. I've seen it.

Of course, add a manual boost controller and all that goes out the window.
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

Meh.
    Interesting that you've only ever had that single picture of your car(s) but you are able to constantly produce pictures of the million or so variations of the bikes by swapping parts around. And at the same time, you are rarely ever able to produce pictures of the masses of parts that explode while you ride them.

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg
    I've had a 90 legacy since '02. Cars were a huge fascination for me until fairly recently. I would shy away from a turbo as a second vehicle. They're not significantly faster than the naturally aspirated cars, due to taller gearing, but they're noticeably less economical to run and theres the whole high mileage turbo bit. Of course, if you want to chase big power, the turbo is the way to go, although check what it will do to your classing in rallyx. My big hardtail fits in the back seat with the front wheel off and the fork flipped 180 degrees.

I'm running a hodgepodge of suspension and brake parts that came from various other subarus; early legacies were the first cars to use subaru's current basic platform- most engine/suspension/drivetrain stuff hasn't changed significantly.

Feel free to pm me, i've pretty much dismantled this thing a few times.
    high mileage turbo Use good oil, let the turbo cool before shutting down if you've been in boost hard and it'll last just as long as everything else. Turbo diesels routinely run a LONG time. The Holset on my Cummins is at 94k miles - makes me smile every time I hear it spool
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Portland, OR
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Interesting that you've only ever had that single picture of your car(s) but you are able to constantly produce pictures of the million or so variations of the bikes by swapping parts around. And at the same time, you are rarely ever able to produce pictures of the masses of parts that explode while you ride them.
    You are such a moron will. This is the last reply I'm ever going to say to you. I don't know why you have such a beef with me. But this is the last post I'm going to make to humor your little 5 year old mind. Learn some social skills.
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

Meh.
    Nope, got those. Just fun to pick on you.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo
    high mileage turbo Use good oil, let the turbo cool before shutting down if you've been in boost hard and it'll last just as long as everything else. Turbo diesels routinely run a LONG time. The Holset on my Cummins is at 94k miles - makes me smile every time I hear it spool
    I totally agree; a good well maintained turbo engine should hold up just fine, barring a turbo rebuild maybe once in the life of the car. You won't have much selection of turbo legacies- they didn't make many, and fewer that have been well taken care of. It's an unknown quantity. Find a good one, sweet, they're neat cars. My only point in this thread is that they're not worth x2 the price tag you'll see over a normal legacy, unless you're super attached to it being a turbo.

isn't the car in the photo at the top finn's?
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Subarus are great, but do avoid the older turbos.
    My 92 Subie wagon has 280K on it and my bikes fit in the back easily.
    Titus X Carbon
    Schwinn Prologue
    Rocky Mountain Element
    Orbea Lobular CX

mtbr member
    Those early turbo Legacies can be built to be real beasts! I believe they have the same block as the famous 22B cars. I think they might even have forged pistons and rods, but you'd want to check for yourself on that. I would also recommend visiting the forums at ultimatesubaru.org. There are a lot of people there who have built those up and they are crazy for 1st gen turbo legacies!
    Ride More

Harrumph
    All you ever wanted to know about Leggy's http://bbs.legacycentral.org/index.php
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

Members who have read this thread: 0