11/4" hitch rack- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

11/4" hitch rack

I have an 07 dodge caliber. Looking to put a reciever on it so that I can get a hitch rack. Is there any problems with getting a reciever or hitch rack on a car?

mtbr member
    May 2004

Depends...

There can be some issues with putting a hitch on smaller cars that are not designed for towing. I am not sure about the Caliber, but I am guessing you will be limited to a class 1 receiver hitch. This will limit the number of bikes that you can carry. Depending on the weight of each bike, you will most likely be limited to 2 maybe 3 bikes.

Go to a site like etrailer.com and do a fit search for an 07 Caliber. That will give you an idea if there is a hitch receiver that fits. You can also contact a local installer to see what they can do. Sometimes they can do custom installations of hitches to cars.

Hope this helps
    Dirt

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks that helped a lot. Looks like I will get 11/4" hitch reciever.

Single Speed Junkie
    Put a hitch on a Mazda 3 with out any negative results. Yes it is the 1 1/4" version. I just wish that I could haul 4 bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have a hitch on my 98 mustang and it does fine with 2 bikes. I have even hauled a jet-ski with it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I put a 11/4" class 1 hitch on my Mazda 5 (same under pinnings as the Mazda 3) I've carried up to 3 bikes on my hitch, but it required a couple of steadying straps before I felt comfortable with the amount of motion on the hitch. The caliber can be ordered with a hitch so, shouldn't be a problem.

Check Ebay for Swagman racks, I got mine for $58 delivered

ballbuster

Sure, works fine

Quote Originally Posted by dumanichi
    I have an 07 dodge caliber. Looking to put a reciever on it so that I can get a hitch rack. Is there any problems with getting a reciever or hitch rack on a car?
    If my 2700 pound VW GTi with a 115 HP 2 liter four-banger can pull a 1500 pound trailer with 200 pounds tongue (but probably not very quickly up a hill), I'm sure you can do a few bikes on your Caliber.

I got a 1 1/4" hitch receiver and a Performance X-Port flatbed rack, and couldn't be happier with my setup.

Some 'cars' can actually handle even more load. I dunno how big the Caliber is, but I know some Subarus can take a 2" hitch, which means 4 bikes.

BTW, there are some 1 1/4" hitch racks that can take 4 bikes, but I would think that those last couple of bikes are going to hang off the back pretty far. One of my bike got a wheel tweaked on a friend's hanging rack when he pulled out of the driveway, and it smacked and dragged the bike on the ground for about 5 feet.

On that note, I couldn't recommend a flatbed kinda rack enough. Hanging racks can cause other problems. My old K2 bike had a dent from being tweaked in a hanging type rack.

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by dumanichi
    If there's a hitch made for your car, etrailer carries it. They carry three brands for your 07 Dodge Caliber! But I only see 1 1/4" hitches, as expected.

I just purchased a 2" Hidden Hitch from etrailer for my new Taurus X crossover. It arrived in a couple days with free shipping because I added accessories until I got over $60. You may want wiring if you ever want to tow anything (light) but a bike rack.

There are many 4-bike racks for the 1-1/4 hitches, but with arms instead of tire trays. See Yakima for instance. The DoubleDown5 can even handle 5 bikes on the 1 1/4" receiver, if your car can handle the tongue weight. The biggest issue with large numbers of bikes on these racks is solving the Chinese puzzle to get them all on without interfering. Also, especially with a low car, make sure the rack is high enough to not drag the bike wheels on the ground when multiple bikes and arms extend out and droop. Go to a good local rack dealer and try some out with your bikes. If you buy racks by mail, you'll be returning many of them.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Heads up...

on racks that carry more 3 or more bikes. Make sure the rack can be used with a Class 1 if that is what your vehicle calls for. They make 1 1/4 Class 2 hitches that are capable of handling more tongue weight, so companies make 1 1/4 racks that can handle more bikes that are not "intended" to be used with 1 1/4 Class 1 hitches. In some cases, Class 1 hitches have little tabs inside the receiver tube that won't allow you to use Class 2 designed tow bars and racks because the portion of the rack that fits into the receiver is longer on those racks to account for more weight. In this case, the holes in the hitch and the rack will not line up to allow you to install the hitch pin. However, you can get around this by trimming the rack if you want. Technically speaking, you can load as many bikes on the rack as long as you don't go over the tongue weight of your hitch.

My recommendation if you are unsure, find a rack that you like and just contact the company and see what they have to say. They will always be a little conservative in their total weights.

Hope this helps and someone correct me if I misspoke, but this is coming from some experience. I just installed a class 1, 1 1/4 hitch on my Accord and learned about the possiblity of non-compability between Class 1 hitches and Class 2 designed equipment, even though it is all 1 1/4 in size. I am still hunting for the rack.

Dirt

Calm Like a Bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by crux
    Put a hitch on a Mazda 3 with out any negative results. Yes it is the 1 1/4" version. I just wish that I could haul 4 bikes.
    i have a 1 1/4" hitch on my vehicle and with speaking with saris i run their saris cycle on pro hitch rack with the 2 bike add on (to carry 4 bikes) no problem....saris states u need a minimum of a 300 pound tongue weight to run their system with 4 bikes...fortunately mine has a weight of 350 pounds....i do have a ford escape so it's a little higher off the ground than your mazda 3
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

https://www.instagram.com/jayparrington/

jrm
    mtbr member

Thats going to be my set up..

Should cost around $225.00. Ive been selling stuff so i can afford it..

Members who have read this thread: 0