1 UP Rack securing to hitch- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

1 UP Rack securing to hitch

I just got a hitch installed on my car and am buying a hitch rack.

All set to buy a 1 UP but I am a little concerned about the mechanism the rack uses to secure to the hitch. It seems there is a small ball which presses out to secure the hitch. My concern is that is lot of pressure on a small surface area and I am wondering if that will over time deform the inside of the receiver.

I was looking at the yakima and thule hitch racks at the store and they seem to have a larger surface area squared expander that to me seems like a superior design.

Aside from this, I think the 1 UP is the better design.

Thoughts?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Have you read all the other threads on this topic? Mine has been attached to my hitch for a couple years -- I leave it on all the time -- and I have had no issues.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Have you read all the other threads on this topic? Mine has been attached to my hitch for a couple years -- I leave it on all the time -- and I have had no issues.
    I dont see any other threads on this particular topic? Link?

I just see general 1UP threads. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    If there are 1000's of posts about the 1up over 5 years and you can't find one that had a problem like this, that should answer your question. A little ball actuated with a 5" Allen and a worm gear can't do anything to the 1/4" steel on the hitch aside from scuff up the rust.

Side note: I'm often fascinated by how strong metal is. Think of how much effort it takes to push a car. Then think of the axle. It's about an inch in diameter and moves the car by being twisted! Way faster that you could ever push! Finally imagine your forearm in there.

Anyway, nothing to worry about. All 3 racks are proven designs. Get whichever you want.

Yeah!
    I've been following the 1up threads for years and with all the repeated questions about the ball lock, there has been exactly one person that stated the ball expanded their receiver.

Most receivers tubes have a thickness of 2.10-2.40, and this is just fine for dealing with the pressure put on the tubing by the ball lock. A thickness of 1.80 would be ordering too think, and shouldn't be used for receiver tubing to begin with, but we can't control the aftermarket. If you are concerned, put a caliper on your receiver and check it.

I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingtaco View Post
    I've been following the 1up threads for years and with all the repeated questions about the ball lock, there has been exactly one person that stated the ball expanded their receiver.

Most receivers tubes have a thickness of 2.10-2.40, and this is just fine for dealing with the pressure put on the tubing by the ball lock. A thickness of 1.80 would be ordering too think, and shouldn't be used for receiver tubing to begin with, but we can't control the aftermarket. If you are concerned, put a caliper on your receiver and check it.

Dont have a caliper, but the hitch is a brand new Curt 1.25 if that is of any help.

I started reading through the threads. Ran across this one

http://forums.mtbr.com/car-biker/1up...ds-979383.html

All in all, I suspect that the 1Up locking system is not as good as the on the thule. But the rack itself looks better. I just need to decide which is more important to me. Shame they dont have the same locking mechanism as the thule but maybe patents are involved.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've had bike racks since Yakima was a young company, many brands and types. All have had some hiccups. My 1Up has been fine but I check that it is tight, and I use the velcro strap per the instructions.

There was one trip with a lot of uneven unpaved road when I was surprised that it was a bit loose but the velcro strap had it there and stayed tight when I cranked on it.

My Thule SportWorks had a bold that could come loose but not let the rack leave the receiver. When that got loose and the whole rack wiggled the hooks holding the bike wheels slipped.

My total experience with at least 4 brands is why I say just be careful regardless.