1.25" hitch 2-4 bikes??- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Calm Like a Bomb
    Reputation: pipes10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,092

    1.25" hitch 2-4 bikes??

    wondering if there are any hitch racks for a 1.25" hitch that will hold more than 2 bikes....looking for something in this style though...or do i need to buy a hitch adapter (1.25" to 2")??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

    https://www.instagram.com/jayparrington/

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: petedog_h's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    43
    just bought a yakima hook up today and it says not to use a adaptor so you would have to buy a whole new hitch.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Grex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    251
    I have the Yak Hookup and its footing is 1 1/4". Just bought a new Rav4 with 2" Hitch and bought an adaptor 2" reduces to 1 1/4. Sometimes I use it for shuttle runs with two DH bikes and it works fine. I wouldn't hesitate to get an adaptor as long as the adaptor is well made.

  4. #4
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,717

    Iirc....

    Quote Originally Posted by pipes10
    wondering if there are any hitch racks for a 1.25" hitch that will hold more than 2 bikes....looking for something in this style though...or do i need to buy a hitch adapter (1.25" to 2")??
    ... there was one rack that did a hanging style 4 bike on a 1 1/4" hitch, a Yakima?

    OTOH, with a 200 pound limit including the rack, do you want it? It's probalby fine, just don't step on it or lean too hard on it... our put 4 DH bikes on it.

    Also, you have to watch the load height on a hanging type bike rack. I've tweaked my front wheel twice on a bud's rack because of the ramp angle of his driveway. He dragged my bike a few feet off the back.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: petedog_h's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    43
    I think that the adaptor from 2 down to the 1.25 is okay but the adaptor from 1.25 up to the 2 would put the weight to far out.

  6. #6
    Calm Like a Bomb
    Reputation: pipes10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,092
    apparently saris makes a few models that hold 2-4 bikes and fits a 1.25" hitch...one model, Thelma 3, holds 3 (obviously...lol), while their other model, CycleOn or CycleOn Pro will hold 2 out of the box and 3 or 4 with optional add on

    anyone have experience with saris??...specifically the cycleon/cycleon pro model.....i have read a few bad things about saris but i think they were trunk mounts....i'll look later as i am just heading out
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

    https://www.instagram.com/jayparrington/

  7. #7
    Calm Like a Bomb
    Reputation: pipes10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,092
    well i have read a few reviews on here and one on sicklines and the saris cycle on or cycle on pro (not sure of the diff just yet) seems to be a decent choice

    review:
    http://www.sicklines.com/reviews/saris-cycle-on-pro

    pics
    http://www.sicklines.com/gallery/sho...ry.php?cat=578
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

    https://www.instagram.com/jayparrington/

  8. #8
    Calm Like a Bomb
    Reputation: pipes10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,092
    well scratch that plan...i wanted to double check so i emailed the customer service at saris...they said that i would need a 2" hitch to support a 3 or 4 bike add on...i hope they change their site cause under the features of the 1.25" cycle on pro it says additional 3 or 4 bikes

    so i am back to square one....i think i might get a 2 bike platform carrier like thule t2 or saris cycle on pro and just rig inside of my suv to carry an additional 2 bikes
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

    https://www.instagram.com/jayparrington/

  9. #9
    Calm Like a Bomb
    Reputation: pipes10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,092
    lol...well just got another email from saris and if the tongue weight is 300lbs on a 1.25" then u can put the add ons on for a 3 or 4 bike rack
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

    https://www.instagram.com/jayparrington/

  10. #10
    Calm Like a Bomb
    Reputation: pipes10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,092
    my tongue weight on my 1.25" hitch is 350 lbs so i have ordered the saris cycleon pro and will get the 2 bike add on later....i'll post pics when i arrives with a few bikes on it
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

    https://www.instagram.com/jayparrington/

  11. #11
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,717

    THe standard is...

    Quote Originally Posted by pipes10
    my tongue weight on my 1.25" hitch is 350 lbs so i have ordered the saris cycleon pro and will get the 2 bike add on later....i'll post pics when i arrives with a few bikes on it
    200 pounds for a 1.25" receiver. Dunno if I would trust the 350 munber in itself.

    I still think you can reasonably get 4 bikes on a 1.25", but I might suggest some sort of safety backup strap. Watch for metal fatigue and sagging.

  12. #12
    Calm Like a Bomb
    Reputation: pipes10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,092
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    200 pounds for a 1.25" receiver. Dunno if I would trust the 350 munber in itself.

    I still think you can reasonably get 4 bikes on a 1.25", but I might suggest some sort of safety backup strap. Watch for metal fatigue and sagging.
    not sure what u are saying about a 200lbs tongue weight??...but the minimum saris suggested was a 300lbs tongue weight for a 1.25" hitch to transport 3-4 bikes...mine exceeds the minimum by 50lbs (350lbs tongue weight) so i should be fine...will keep an eye on things though

    the rack is a platform style hitch like the on in my 1st post

    thanks for posting...was getting tired of posting to myself....lol
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

    https://www.instagram.com/jayparrington/

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    71
    softride access and tule 914 and 954 carry 4 and fit a 1.25" hitch.

    I'm getting another Softride. Simple, cheap, reliable.

  14. #14
    Calm Like a Bomb
    Reputation: pipes10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,092
    yeah the thule 914 and 954 do carry 4 bikes on a 1.25" hitch but they hang the bikes....i was looking for a platform hitch rack like the one in my first post
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

    https://www.instagram.com/jayparrington/

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    689
    I've got a cycle on and had a 2" kit on it with the 2 bike add on. On my new Element I could only get a 11/4 hitch so I bought the parts to convert it but haven't used the add on because it seems like a lot of weight on there and it already moves more than the 2" did.
    In the spring I'm going to get a Thelma 3 because I don't have a 29er and you loose about 50lbs of rack.
    www.treefortbikes.com Just lauched V2.0 with free shipping and low prices!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Punishment71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    228
    Check this one out:

    http://www.saris.com/p-302-cycleon-pro.aspx

    it carries 2 bikes out of the box, but there's an adapter that let's you carry up to 2 more bikes.
    This space for rent

  17. #17
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,717

    Nice!

    Quote Originally Posted by Punishment71
    Check this one out:

    http://www.saris.com/p-302-cycleon-pro.aspx

    it carries 2 bikes out of the box, but there's an adapter that let's you carry up to 2 more bikes.
    .... but $440?!?!? Holy Carp! You can get some nice blingy bike components for that.

  18. #18
    Calm Like a Bomb
    Reputation: pipes10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,092
    Quote Originally Posted by Punishment71
    Check this one out:

    http://www.saris.com/p-302-cycleon-pro.aspx

    it carries 2 bikes out of the box, but there's an adapter that let's you carry up to 2 more bikes.
    that's the one that is currently being shipped to me...i got a much better deal than $440 though...regardless it's the only platform 3-4 bike rack that u can get for a 1.25" hitch...can't wait till it comes in...my old racks has gone down the crapper and i;m very frustrated with it
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

    https://www.instagram.com/jayparrington/

  19. #19
    Calm Like a Bomb
    Reputation: pipes10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,092
    link to pics of the new rack

    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=347664
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

    https://www.instagram.com/jayparrington/

  20. #20
    LDH
    LDH is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LDH's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    761
    I run a 4 bike tray style hitch mount on my acura tl without problem. I use a 1 1/4 to 2 adapter with a 4" rise to move the bike rack up and out for car/ground clearance. I have rechecked the hitch and hardware several times and there has been no loosening or damage to anything. You would be suprised at the strength of 1 1/4 tubing , I can lift the back of my car off the ground with the hitch/rack unit without it bending.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: longman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    539

    check the class

    You need to look at the class of your hitch, this is how it is attached to the vehicle and determines the tongue weight and towing weight...

    Class 1 - 1.25" only - basically taped onto the car so can only carry 2 bikes

    Class 2 - 1.25" OR 2" - bolted to the chassis and can carry up to 5 bikes

    Class 3 - 2" only - can carry 5 bikes (that's the biggest rack available)

    SO if you have a 1.25" hitch it may be Class 1 or 2. If it's only a Class 1 and you use adapters or a 4 bike rack you may lose the whole thing if you hit a big enough bump. If it's class 2 you can use racks for upto 4 bikes where the bikes hang by the frame but not where they sit in wheel holders(T2 or Hookup etc). Thule and Yakima do not make any adapters anymore because of the confusion(as witnessed in this thread) and because adapters increase the tongue length and therefore the tongue weight dramatically.

  22. #22
    Calm Like a Bomb
    Reputation: pipes10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,092
    Quote Originally Posted by longman
    You need to look at the class of your hitch, this is how it is attached to the vehicle and determines the tongue weight and towing weight...

    Class 1 - 1.25" only - basically taped onto the car so can only carry 2 bikes

    Class 2 - 1.25" OR 2" - bolted to the chassis and can carry up to 5 bikes

    Class 3 - 2" only - can carry 5 bikes (that's the biggest rack available)

    SO if you have a 1.25" hitch it may be Class 1 or 2. If it's only a Class 1 and you use adapters or a 4 bike rack you may lose the whole thing if you hit a big enough bump. If it's class 2 you can use racks for upto 4 bikes where the bikes hang by the frame but not where they sit in wheel holders(T2 or Hookup etc). Thule and Yakima do not make any adapters anymore because of the confusion(as witnessed in this thread) and because adapters increase the tongue length and therefore the tongue weight dramatically.
    this is what i went over with the saris people...they stated that it goes by tongue weight ...in order to carry 2-4 bikes on a 1.25" hitch u would need a minimum of 300lbs tongue weight....fortunately, i had a 350lbs tongue weight so i am able to carry 4 bikes if need be...
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

    https://www.instagram.com/jayparrington/

  23. #23
    Calm Like a Bomb
    Reputation: pipes10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,092
    Quote Originally Posted by LDH
    I run a 4 bike tray style hitch mount on my acura tl without problem. I use a 1 1/4 to 2 adapter with a 4" rise to move the bike rack up and out for car/ground clearance. I have rechecked the hitch and hardware several times and there has been no loosening or damage to anything. You would be suprised at the strength of 1 1/4 tubing , I can lift the back of my car off the ground with the hitch/rack unit without it bending.
    as longman pointed out, it's not so much the tube strength but rather the hitch strength...how my can the hitch support..

    also, i thought that using those adapters lowered your hitch strength (tongue weight)???
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

    https://www.instagram.com/jayparrington/

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.