1.25" to 2" hitch adapter for 2007 Forester- Mtbr.com
    Dudette

New question here. 1.25" to 2" hitch adapter for 2007 Forester

Hi All,

I'm planning on having a hitch installed on my 2007 Forester. Problem is, I wanted to get a 4 bike hitch rack that could swing out of the way of the hatch when loaded with bikes. I was told they did not make 2" hitches to fit the 07 Forester, but there are 2" receiver adapters available. Thule and Yakima require 2" receivers for their "swing away" racks. Has anyone done this before? Any advice/recommendations? I guess I'm concerned about how far out the rack would be extended with the addition of an adapter to use that type of rack, and how stable it would be...

mtbr member
    I did it on my outback...go to E-trailer and get an extention and a converter

code: mtbr2011
    the problem when doing this is you end up getting wobble with the adapter when it's installed into the hitch.
    the bike rack screws in fine to the adapter, and becomes a solid unit, but the 1.25" adapter is a solid piece of steel, making it hard to add in an anti-wobble, no-sway device = eventual metal fatigue.

mtbr member

Stop it!

Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com
    the problem when doing this is you end up getting wobble with the adapter when it's installed into the hitch.
    the bike rack screws in fine to the adapter, and becomes a solid unit, but the 1.25" adapter is a solid piece of steel, making it hard to add in an anti-wobble, no-sway device = eventual metal fatigue.
    Stop it...We arent building nuclear reactors here...The extention and adapter works great.
    I used it on my Outback with a Yakima rack. I toted 2 XL 29ers around NM without a problem in the world....yes dirt roads, back roads, gravel roads, unimproved trails and over some bumpy uneven terain...all with no problems
    The combined weight of the rack and bikes is less than the overal rated weight for the hitch/car/extention.
    Bottomline: It didnt NOT stress out hitch/metal/rack..and no stress on the driver.

Just dont fly down a dirt road hitting every bump and you will do fine.

Sometime we (bikers) try to hard to find the 100% solution therefore disqualifying ourselves from the inexpensive and simple answers/products.

Of course if the hitch is made out of carbon fiber and Ti then all bets are off....I hope you arent "That Guy"

mtbr member
    By the way, there is a 2" hitch available for the older Foresters.

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...ter-hitch.html

Members who have read this thread: 0