1 1/4" hitch- Mtbr.com

Thread: 1 1/4" hitch

mtbr member

1 1/4" hitch

So I am looking for some help since I am a complete noob. I have a UHaul 1 1/4" hitch that I mount a Yakima Double Down Ace 4 rack on. I mount 2 Trek X-Cal 4's on it. Well on my CRV forum yesterday I found out for the first time that since I have a class I hitch I am supposed to be strapping my load (bike rack) to the vehicle. I have noticed a lot of movement. Here is a crappy video...

Is this normal? If not, how do you suggest I strap the rack to the vehicle? Next Saturday my wife and I are leaving TX to go to my new duty station in VA and I want to be secure.

Rent this space for $
    One thing for sure is you're right...that was the crappiest video on the internet. I can't tell where the movement is occurring. I'm not understanding the "strapping" aspect. It's a Class 1 hitch-mount. It doesn't "strap" down. If it's wobbling in the receiver then you should have one of Yakima's threaded locking hitch pins that snugs down with a wrench and prevents the movement within the receiver. I tried looking it up but Yakima's web site really sux balls in that respect.

Here's what I'm talking about...as best I could find quickly. It's something like this...

Replacement Hitch Bolt, Nut and Clip for BigHorn 4 Bike Carrier - 2" Hitches Yakima Accessories and Parts Y8780022

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    One thing for sure is you're right...that was the crappiest video on the internet. I can't tell where the movement is occurring. I'm not understanding the "strapping" aspect. It's a Class 1 hitch-mount. It doesn't "strap" down. If it's wobbling in the receiver then you should have one of Yakima's threaded locking hitch pins that snugs down with a wrench and prevents the movement within the receiver. I tried looking it up but Yakima's web site really sux balls in that respect.

Here's what I'm talking about...as best I could find quickly. It's something like this...

Replacement Hitch Bolt, Nut and Clip for BigHorn 4 Bike Carrier - 2" Hitches Yakima Accessories and Parts Y8780022
    Thanks for the response. I don't know why the video loaded so crappy because it's clear on my phone and computer, but oh well. The rack itself is tight in the hitch. I have it as tight as it can go. It's the top half that is doing all the moving. In the poor quality video you can see how much up and down movement it's doing. Every time I hit a bump the top of the rack that has the bike on it bounces up pretty substantially. I was just wondering if that was normal. As for the strapping the rack to the hitch here is what I'm talking about...file:///C:/Users/Rebekah/Downloads/24887%20(1).pdf. This is the exact hitch I have. If the PDF doesn't work here is the site U-Haul: Trailer Hitch Installation in Corpus Christi, TX at U-Haul Moving & Storage at S Padre Island Dr and just click on hitch installation guide to see what I'm talking about.

RFB
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I tried a Yakima Ridgeback 4. Like yours, it was tight in the hitch, but bounced at every hinge point - where the arms fold and the mast folds. I'm sure it would be OK, nature of the beast. Although on a Kuat Alpha I had, there were thumb screws that would tighten against the pivot points eliminating any bounce.

As for strapping the rack to the car, see this Curt Trailer Hitch Support Strap - Bike Rack Strap with Cambuckle Curt Accessories and Parts 18050

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RFB View Post
    I tried a Yakima Ridgeback 4. Like yours, it was tight in the hitch, but bounced at every hinge point - where the arms fold and the mast folds. I'm sure it would be OK, nature of the beast. Although on a Kuat Alpha I had, there were thumb screws that would tighten against the pivot points eliminating any bounce.

As for strapping the rack to the car, see this Curt Trailer Hitch Support Strap - Bike Rack Strap with Cambuckle Curt Accessories and Parts 18050
    Thanks for the response. It put my mind at ease to know this is pretty normal for the rack. I'm thinking I'll be ok without the strap. Do you use a strap or anyone you know uses a strap when using a 1 1/4" hitch?

RFB
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    No one I know uses a 1 1/4" hitch so I can't help with that aspect. On a Subaru Forester site I visit, there is a thread that has even a 2" Curt hitch needing a strap. Curt requires it for warranty issues. Consensus is they are just covering themselves. With just 2 bikes on your rack, I wouldn't think you need a strap, but your CR-V forum friends will probably know better.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Coastie05 View Post
    ...file:///C:/Users/Rebekah/Downloads/24887%20(1).pdf.

You realize, you just linked to a file on your computer, not on the interwebz where we can see it, Rebekah.

Yeah, all 1 1/4" hitches bounce, as do most 2". It's a non-issue. You can tow a 2000 pound trailer and have a 200 pound tongue weight. I think it can handle your 60 pounds of bikes and 30 pounds of rack. It's gonna flex a bit, but it's not a real problem. Now, if you were rock crawling and off-roading your car with heavy bikes on the back, I would be more concerned.

Like others have said, I suggest looking into a threaded pin, so you can snug it up the rack in the hitch receiver and minimize the slop between the rack and hitch.

mtbr member
    I just put a class 1 hitch (1 1/4) on my BMW so I could this car to carry my bikes. The class 1 hitch is bolted into the body in 6 places through the sheet metal of the spare tire well. Strong enough IMHO. It is rated for 2000lbs and 200lbs tongue. My race is swagman XC2 and weighs 25lbs, plus another 25 for the bike is 50lbs total. If I carry 2 30lbs bikes I still at under 100lbs total. I am not worrying about 100lbs on this. The rack does not swing around since it is bolted into the hitch. It does move a tiny bit more than when I had it on my wife's car with 2" receiver with factory hitch rated at 750lbs tongue, 5000lbs towing. I have no intention of putting a strap on mine, but also will not put more than 2 bikes on the race since I don't have a bigger rack. If have need for 2 more bikes I will head to the roof rather than having more weight hanging off the back of the car.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    You have 200lbs of tongue weight available. Having weight cantilever out so far only causes stress to the hitch bar and receiver itself. At least the way my hitch is designed where the receiver box is welded at the rear to the support beam of the hitch. So cantilever stresses shouldn't effect the vehicle much if at all. So long as those components are strong enough, you shouldn't need to strap it.

Most likely, your bike rack is what's bouncing, at all of it's joints. Buy a better rack, the jeep(1up gen1) rack is pretty good for not much money.

Tires
    Something like the "Hitch Tite" will remove the play and make things tight: https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...ls.php?id=9129
    Soma, Surly, Salsa, Schwalbe, SRAM, Sun-Ringlé

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neseth View Post
    Most likely, your bike rack is what's bouncing, at all of it's joints. Buy a better rack, the jeep(1up gen1) rack is pretty good for not much money.
    It doesn't fit 1 1/4" just 2". You'd need an extension/adapter.

mtbr member
    I'm looking to get a hitch hauler as well

Your Best Friend
    Good for you.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    If I don't ever plan on towing anything (I have a rav 4 after all) and I just want a hitch tray does it really matter whether I get 1 1/4" or a 2"? I have only ever had hatchback racks and roof racks. If it matters my new car is a 2014 rav 4, I have a surly karate monkey and at the moment I only need a 2 bike tray, but an considering getting one I can expand to 4 if the need ever arises.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by captnpenguin View Post
    If I don't ever plan on towing anything (I have a rav 4 after all) and I just want a hitch tray does it really matter whether I get 1 1/4" or a 2"? I have only ever had hatchback racks and roof racks. If it matters my new car is a 2014 rav 4, I have a surly karate monkey and at the moment I only need a 2 bike tray, but an considering getting one I can expand to 4 if the need ever arises.
    For 2 bikes, you are fine with a 1 1/4 hitch. But for anything more, you'll need a 2" rack because the extra size gives it enough strength to hold that kind of weight. You never know when you might have kids or date someone with a kid, or have some new friends or whatever. Having the ability to expand is nice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    so in another words, pay the little bit extra for the 2" hitch mount. Also, best hitch mounts for the money?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by captnpenguin View Post
    so in another words, pay the little bit extra for the 2" hitch mount. Also, best hitch mounts for the money?
    On etrailer.com the 2" curt hitch is only $28 more. 2014 Toyota RAV4 Trailer Hitch | etrailer.com

if you want a factory looking hitch where most of it is hidden, the ecohitch by torklift. Hands down the best hitch, but it's $250.
    Torklift Central Eco-Hitch Stealth Hidden 2" 2013+ Toyota Rav 4 Trailer Hitch | Torklift Central

Rent this space for $
    If you do go with a 2" (it appears it's available for the RAV), just keep in mind the towing limitations of that hitch and vehicle. That rig can't have much more capacity or stopping power of a Class I hitch (1-1/4"). eTrailer is a good shop but they don't communicate their inventory until AFTER you have paid. On 2 occasions, I have bought hitches and paid only to have an email sent DAYS later that they are in transit with delivery times a week or more out. I stick with US made Draw-tite equipment. I sourced a very good ebaY seller/shop that had even better deals then eTrailer and had excellent inventory and shipping control. I'll see if I can find it and post a link from the one I just bought for my new Focus.

EDIT: http://stores.ebay.com/Trends-Auto?_...p2047675.l2563