09 Civic w/ Swagman XC 2 Hitch Rack- Mtbr.com

09 Civic w/ Swagman XC 2 Hitch Rack

I'm planning to purchase Swagman XC 2 hitch rack and Hidden Hitch for my '09 Civic. ( I park in a parking garage everyday for work so my Thule roof rack is no longer an option. ) Every bike I own is sub-28 lb, and 95% of the time I'll only be carrying 1 bike. I've looked at other systems (Thule T2, Saris, Kuat) and all are more than I want to spend right now. Obviously I know you get what you pay for with a cheaper rack, but before I go ahead and purchase, just wanted to see if anyone is sporting a similar setup and how it's worked for them.

I'm aware there are other threads related to the Swagman rack, but what I'm most interested in is this rack relative to this specific car. Thanks.

mtbr member
    I'm running a Raxter 1/4" hitch rack on my Civic SI coupe.

Works great! I got the Hidden Hitch at carparts.com for $95 shipped and only took me about 1.5 hrs to install (and I'd say I have an average at best mechanical aptitude). I really like it, as with the rack off the car, you can barely see the hitch, nothing touches the car, and it doesn't' impact the gas mileage like a roof rack.

Trek/Gary Fisher Superfly hardtail
    2017 Cannondale Scalpel SI 4
    Cervelo R3
    Specialized Crux Elite

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    looks good...seems like most civic owners go with the swagman carrier...if they have a hitch...

It's all about the FSR!
    I was going to go with the Swagman, like the one you posted, but opted for this one instead.

Amazon.com: SportRack A30901 2EZ Hitch Platform 2 Bike Rack: Sports & Outdoors

I am very happy with the build and quality of this rack, especially for the price. I don't have a Civic, so I cannot comment on the fit.

I can comment on the stability of the rack on the car, and how it is at highway + speeds, and it is really nice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I've got the Swagman XTC2 paired up with a Valley Hitch. Installed the hitch DIY. No problems yet, works great and folds up nice and compact when you dont have a bike on it. As long as there are no install complications on the hitch itself, I don't foresee there being any problem having it on a civic specifically.

One thing I do like, the Swagman has a raised support beam so ground clearance is pretty good.

I ended up buying the Swagman XC about 3 months ago. I installed the hitch from Reese myself, took about 2 hours. I was worried about ground clearance because the Civic sits low. Swagman recommends 14 inches clear, I have about 13.5 inches, but have never had a problem (maybe a problem if the car is heavily loaded, I don't know.)

I've been very happy with the rack. Got it for $120 w/ free shipping on Amazon. No other platform rack came close cost-wise. People complain about the frame hooks and how they damage your paint, but it's as easy as putting a small rag over your frame before you racket down the hook.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    im still debating on the hitch or roof rack.....i do get free automatic car washes for life....sooooo lol

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Bringing back an old thread to life! Thanks for the photos guys. I'm still debating between the swagman or the sportrack. Both look like good low priced options. Are they heavy?

Members who have read this thread: 0