08 Holdup question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

08 Holdup question

When I take the arm that holds the front tire and lay it horizontally to load a bike, the arm falls down to the ground. The ratchet mechanism in the joint isn't strong enough to hold it up.

Has anyone had this experience?? I just spent my hard earned money(stimulus ) and need to make sure this is normal or not.

I just installed this today and so far I'm happy except for this.

FYI- if your thinking buying one of these, Yakimas website has a $40 rebate offer for hitch mounted racks over $300. I picked mine up at REI for 319 + tax, so the rebate will bring my total to just over 300, not too bad.

Jimbo

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I used my stimulus on one too! Mine does the same thing, but it doesn't fall down and bounce off the ground or anything...I found it to seem a little cheap compared to their other racks I've used, especially for the price. One thing that I'm worried about is al the play between the hitch and the rack. I'm not sure what your hitch make is but mine is a U-Haul. Everything else is awesome though. I like how it folds in and up, and the fact that it is decently light weight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The $40 rebate expired at the end of last month

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    JGill- Yeah, mine just falls to the ground, it just seems kind of weird they don't have a limit on it. This is my first bike rack and I felt it was a little cheap feeling. But maybe I'm expecting too much from a bike rack. As long as it carries my bikes without dropping them it has done its duty.
    By the way, I have a factory hitch and it fits nice and tight with the bolt cranked down.

Thanks for the heads up syadasti, I was looking at the postmark date. Damn...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Yeah the rebate sucks, they should have extended it as there were some dealers unable to get the rack until after the rebate expired - punish the customers because you can't delivery, WTF?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I just got back from a 40+ mile drive to go ride and noticed the rack kept a firm hold on everything. Also the arm that falls to the ground doesn't do it anymore. Maybe some road grime over the past few days has helped out....I could be wrong. The whole rebate issue is pretty lame. I paid for and waited for that rack for close to 2 months. I wasn't even aware of the rebate till I already ordered from my LBS. After we closed our shop down (owner retired) they took over our brands but the owner of that shop still gives us the "bro" deal so the whole missing out on the rebate thing doesn't sting too hard. It's still weak on Yakima's part though.

Members who have read this thread: 0