07 VW GTI base rack- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

07 VW GTI base rack

Any of you folks with GTIs use Yakima or Thule base racks? Just wondering if you've had any leaking from the clamps around the door pillars. Just sold my '05 WRX.
    Cheers!

code: mtbr2011
    the nice thing about both the thule and yakima racks for these cars is that they fit in behind the weatherstrip that is on the body of the car.
    if you open your driver's door, and pull back a little bit on the weatherstrip, you'll see 2 torx headed bolt heads sticking out. the clips for the yakima q towers or the thule traverse racks will attach to those....this elminates the rack causing a leak.

mtbr member
    I have been running the Volkswagen bars on my wife's '07 Rabbit for the past two years. If the Yak/Thule base system is similar it does not interfere with the main door seals at all. I have no leaks.
    Last edited by A1an; 03-17-2010 at 12:43 PM.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com
    if you open your driver's door, and pull back a little bit on the weatherstrip, you'll see 2 torx headed bolt heads sticking out. the clips for the yakima q towers or the thule traverse racks will attach to those....this elminates the rack causing a leak.
    Just to clarify,

1999.5 to 2005 GTI's it has the 2 posts up front behind the weatherseal. In the rear, it hooks by the rear quarter window

2006+ Hooks up different, no posts to mount to.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent
    Just to clarify,

1999.5 to 2005 GTI's it has the 2 posts up front behind the weatherseal. In the rear, it hooks by the rear quarter window

2006+ Hooks up different, no posts to mount to.
    Correct. MKV has one hole on each side of the car that accepts a stud on the foot of the factory bar. The hole isn't covered up by a weatherseal.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an
    Correct. MKV has one hole on each side of the car that accepts a stud on the foot of the factory bar. The hole isn't covered up by a weatherseal.
    Aye. I have one hole under the doors.

mtbr member
    jlang...Have you considered the factory bars? I priced them out a couple years back and they ended up being a bit cheaper than aftermarket. I also prefer a factory rack that is specifically designed for the car (although I am sure the thule/yak systems are great).
    Signature

ahh....yes, the body has a small clip that is unscrewed and leaves a hole for a stud that is fabricated on the clip.
    fits perfectly, no leaks and has great versatility and strength.
    depends what you want to put up there i suppose (a bike perhaps???) whether or not you use the factory rack or not...
    personally, if i have a choice, i prefer to use the square/round bars for bikes over aero bars with adapters.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I agree with the above comments about preferring round or rectangular crossbars...but Rocky Mounts new aero bar rack looks nice. I had the Noose (I think it was called) for my factory Subie bars and it was a wonky setup.
    Along the same lines, does anyone have issues with the hatch on the GTI hitting the bike racks? I had to run my bike racks backwards with my WRX.

the new euro pitchfork from rocky mounts is a nice rack...the pitchfork, which works on round and square bars, has been a good seller for us...we feel it represents a good value all around and does a nice job of carrying any type of bike with 9mm skewers.

as far as the hatch hitting the gti, this is another reason i prefer the round/square bar setup, becuause with that setup, you can use fork mount bike racks mounted outboard of the tower, which clear the hatch on the side, and eliminate the hatch interference.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    jlang...Have you considered the factory bars? I priced them out a couple years back and they ended up being a bit cheaper than aftermarket. I also prefer a factory rack that is specifically designed for the car (although I am sure the thule/yak systems are great).

On my old MKIV, I had a thule setup initially. The rubber pads did not follow the roof contour at all, which allowed dirt to get underneath and scratch up the paint. Also, the braket that goes over the post was a PITA to install.

Then I had a new Votex (the OE Thule/Mont Blanc) rack, which was a lot easier to install and fits 100x better to the roof than Thule's feet.

Some people use fairings, which it takes some modifications to use a Thule fairing to the Votex bars.

On my Passat, I went with Yakima's Low Rider

mtbr member
    Regardless of where I mount the carriers on the bars I have zero hatch clearance issues with my OE bars on my MKV Rabbit (same as the GTI). The MKV has a pretty long roof and the attachment points are pretty far forward.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I have looked at them, but they come in an aero shape which doesn't look like it plays nice with the Thule upright bike rack. I have a 20 mm on my fork and would not rather mess around with an adapter like the fork-up and a fork mount rack. I also don't want to throw my dirty front wheel in the trunk.

Members who have read this thread: 0