$ freeride bikes stand up swing away hitch mount- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

$ freeride bikes stand up swing away hitch mount

Looking for a rack that holds four freeride bikes standing up, hitch mounted, and swings away so we can get into the hatch of the 4runner when we stop somewhere on the way to the trail. Any options?

I love the mwe but it looks like they only make a 2 bike set up

I love the kuatnv pluss add on but doubt it will drop low enough with four bikes to allo the lift gate to come up.

Any other options?

Carrying Enduro, Bullit, Etc. But want to be able to handle my kids bikes too.
    Last edited by resqd1; 05-26-2011 at 07:19 AM.

Stiff yet compliant
    Take a look at North Shore Racks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    will the north shore handle kids bikes?

Dang racks are expensive

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The North Shore rack will handle kids bikes as long as the fork fits. I have 3 kids and it takes all their bikes except my daughter BMX race bike which has a road-like fork. For my littlest bike I need to use a longer strap to hold the wheel.

I had a Yakima swing away before this, and the North Shore actually opens quicker as you only have to remove the cotter pin. On the Yakima you had to unscrew a bolt with a wingnut type head and then pull up on a knob to release - not as quick.

And yes...racks are expensive.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by resqd1 View Post
    Looking for a rack that holds four freeride bikes standing up, hitch mounted, and swings away so we can get into the hatch of the 4runner when we stop somewhere on the way to the trail. Any options?

I love the mwe but it looks like they only make a 2 bike set up

I love the kuatnv pluss add on but doubt it will drop low enough with four bikes to allo the lift gate to come up.

Any other options?

Carrying Enduro, Blur, Etc. But want to be able to handle my kids bikes too.
    Those are not freeride bikes and any modern/good tray-style hitch rack swings low enough for you to access the rear of your four-runner. The "swing away" style are terrible comparatively.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Not Freeride bikes huh, LOL I guess somepeople are experts. Thanks for all the info everyone I appreciate all the input.

code: mtbr2011
    with 4 bikes, the NV may not drop enough - depends on the vehicle and how high the hitch is from the ground....the NV drops lower than the thule and yakima...
    remove the trail doc and you will gain clearance

Members who have read this thread: 0