securing U tubes/wide loaders on a Big Dummy- Mtbr.com
    Human Test Subject

securing U tubes/wide loaders on a Big Dummy

My Dummy was hit by a car before I got it (best 300 bucks ever spent). It's been going great for 1500 miles or so, but the rear is ever so slightly misshapen. I have older wide loaders and the little expansion pin things can't line up with the holes in the frame (see pic, ignore the cat) in both the front and the back at the same time. securing U tubes/wide loaders on a Big Dummy-a1.jpg

It's not a huge deal but the wide loaders eventually wiggle their way out a bit so I kick em back in while riding. They can't fall all the way out because of the velcro straps, but it's annoying and I think I could stabilize it better. Whatchamacollars would be perfect, but they're out of production.

Has anyone tried a 28.6 double bolt seatpost clamp? I was thinking one of theseName:  a3.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  24.0 KB

The diameter's a bit different. The OD on the dummy tube is 27.something, but I don't think that's enough to matter.

I'm also concerned about the amount of exposed tube that I can clamp down on. It's only like 5mm past the vertical rack inserts. Can't really see that in the below picture, though.

securing U tubes/wide loaders on a Big Dummy-a2.jpg

Anyone try something similar or have suggestions?
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Since your bike is already bent (albeit ever so slightly), you could consider enlarging the holes in the frame (ever so slightly) to allow the expansion pins to engage.

Edit: Have you tried switching them from one side to the other, or turning them around completely?

Human Test Subject
    It's so close to aligning that I couldn't drill new holes, I'd have to make the old ones bigger. That might work.

I haven't tried switching them around because they seem kind of directional

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I have the bmx seat post clamps you see in the post here https://thelazyrando.wordpress.com/2...tchamacollars/
    that hold my u tubes on. They don't quite fit properly so I've just used electrical tape wrapped around the tube as a packer. Stops the vibration induced movement and stiffens the rack up well too.

Human Test Subject
    Cool. I was thinking the same thing about tape to keep moisture out. I ordered 1 clamp for 10 bucks and if it fits I'll finish it off.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.