Hacking up my Surly Big Dummy- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2019

Hacking up my Surly Big Dummy

I am in the middle of hacking up my v1 Surly Big Dummy into a beach/ sand bike. The rear is already carrying a 4" wide tire, but the front I am not too sure of what to do here.

I really enjoyed the feel of a front suspension fork on a fat tire bike as I rode one for almost 2 years on an Origin8 Crawler frame.

What fork would you recommend I go with for the Big Dummy?

I have been considering the DNM 8Fat, but just tonight read that they will not be good with 4" tires. I really want the super squishy 4+" tires though.

The Origin8 had a Wren fork on it, but for the sand bike I wont need a really fancy fork like that, just something that will work ok will do.

turtles make me hot
    Just get a Surly Ice Cream Truck fork and build a wheel with an 80mm rim and run as fat a tire as you want. All bolt together. No hacking required.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Just get a Surly Ice Cream Truck fork and build a wheel with an 80mm rim and run as fat a tire as you want. All bolt together. No hacking required.
    ^^ for sure. Or find a used manitou mastodon and then buy the CSU for the straight steerer tube, rebuild it and put 'er on there. Or a Mendon'd Lefty would work also
    Deflated - buy parts to sell parts to buy more parts.. bikes are my drug of choice

FATTrailer for the kiddo

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Ok, maybe hacking isnt the right wording. Thanks for the input guys.

Just to reiterate, I want the front fork to be a suspension fork, so the ICT fork idea wont work. As far as finding a used Mastodon, that hasnt been an option for me, its actually pretty difficult to find anything fat bike related around where I live (just north of Seattle).

Ive been advised to pick up a triple crown fork for maximum safety, so I guess thats what Im looking for now, although I have found a customized for fat bikes Noleen Girvin fork for $200. Oldie but weighs under 4lbs. Might check it out. If not I guess Ill break down and purchase new although I really enjoy re-cycling with bi-cycles.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Yeah, I've looked a few times for a used mastodon myself (pugsley, so similar headtube problem) and they just aren't around when I look, not only that, pay another $200-250 for the CSU and it gets up there.

Since you mentioned that it doesn't have to be the nicest fork (that is how I interpreted your original post anyway), what about one of those cheap eBay forks or an RST renegade? Neither are high performance, I think there are a few threads on here with a general consensus of "its good enough for the price point".
    Deflated - buy parts to sell parts to buy more parts.. bikes are my drug of choice

FATTrailer for the kiddo

turtles make me hot
    I got a friend selling a Bluto for a good price but it's a far cry from a Mastadon.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Manitou Dorado
    Not cheap but...

Hacking up my Surly Big Dummy-985960d1430731220-modified-hoggar-dorado-fork-hoggar1.jpg
    (not mine)

turtles make me hot
    Taxed, I sent you a pm with the contact information to that Bluto if you're interested.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Pugsley front end has always worked for me. Non off set fork and a 80mm tyre with an Endomorph. Wouldn't have ever thought there was a need for a suspension fork for a sand/beach build. I ride the beach more than the snow on the Big Dummy as well as the Pugs and always rigid.

1DSC_0308 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr
    For all my bikes, rides and adventures and mishaps; BLOG: http://theroadlesspedalled.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Thanks guys! I got a fitting fork off of asking on local craigslist, waiting on endomorpg tire to come in the mail. I like like the extra suspension I dont know why, its worked for me before so Im building it again. Im sure stiff with the spongy tires works well also. Lucky with that snow man!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Well, I ended up getting rid of my Bluto and endomorph after a week long romance. Test rode an ICT and enjoyed it thoroughly. Ended up picking up a banana yellow ICT fork and a Snowshoe2xl white tire. Now on the hunt for a front ClownShoe front rim. Missed a good chance on ebay yesterday and kicking myself hard. Excited to test this set up out!

turtles make me hot
    I have a brand new Clownshoe. I could probably be talked into parting with it for 100 bucks plus shipping.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Thats just the rim part right? I will keep you in mind, been looking into the price wise math of it since last night vs an already built rim. Trying to keep this front end closer to $400 total. Doesnt look very likely with the price of 150mm hubs all clearing $150, then the price of spokes and paying the lbs to put it together. Im working off a lousy cooks pay lifestyle, so far the fork and tire have set me back $200. Thanks for the offer, I got it written down in my binder.

turtles make me hot
    How's 265 for the whole wheel? Clownshoe, 150mm Bike Hub Store hub and Double butted Sapim spokes.
    I like turtles

turtles make me hot
    Make it 245. I always forget and charge for two wheels worth of spokes on a single wheel.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    So, NYrr, thank you for your build quote. I am progressing down the rabbit hole some, and have my bike stripped down to the frame only. Contemplating a new paint scheme somewhere around the aqua colors region. This started out because the ICT front fork I purchased is Banana Yellow, the big Dummy is Military Green, and my accents are red. I figure since Im totally changing up this bike it might as well get a more coordinated color scheme, something fresh. This also means that I am not going to be pouncing on a rim build quite yet. One other thing I have done is read up on the 150mm front hub options. I have eliminated the cheap ebay contenders, and the high end dynamo hubs which I will not be needing as my diy modified serfas system is above and beyond anything I ever need. I am intrigued by the Onyx hubs because theyre shiny and colorful, um I mean because I want silence and swift ceramic bearing speeds. I have found a brand new WRONG COLORED hub for $120, which is significantly cheaper than the $200 price tag anywhere else. I am most likely going to pull the trigger on that and a clownshoe rim first. Get everything sanded down and painted at the same time as the bike. I have also come to an understanding that for my particular build I might be better off to use Alpine 3 spokes. Contemplating tubeless. Never ran anything tubeless. Got advised to do CaffeLatex by UC dude and he said him and his fatbike friends on to that set up but man RL reviews on youtube arent so nice to that company so need more research there. Yup. Thats that. Being not too well off gives me extra time to do homework. Eh the tradeoffs.