mtbr member
    Dec 2018

Greetings and, help! Sun Atlas Xtracycle Cargobike

so I have quite the gem, a sun atlas cargo bike that uses original free radical parts, bought it off a bike mechanic, decked out and all, got a sidecar for it later on with custom wood decking and a rebuilt sidecar wheel. awesome ride.

.....except for the fact it appears damn near impossible to find rear hubs for it! mine is blown and due to it not being standard, I can't seem to find a good part for it, a bikeshop owner managed to find original parts that are on 2 complete bikes at a sun bikes wearhouse collecting dust that needed to be scraped due to bad frames (their quite renowned for that unfortunately), but they have to send them back to the factory to be taken apart before we can obtain a new old stock rear hub, and theres no ETA on that, my hands are tied at this point.

the specs of the hub are as follows, 14mm centerbolt (yeah, one of those....), 48H, 135mm, with 6 bolt disc mount.

I was going to hold off on a proper hub and go with adapters but only as a temporary fix as it greatly affects the max capacity.... can someone, anybody recommend or point me to a part I can use?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Didn't the Yuba Mundo's have a similar sized axle in the back of their earlier models (& possibly current)

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    they used to, I had a bike mechanic do some digging, yuba no longer has the parts apparently, think they changed spec.

I even went as far as to poke a stick at sram, their only suggestion is to either use an HG 8/9/10 speed driver if I could find a hub with those specs and use a spacer kit or get a custom part made. they suggested Phil Wood, but most likely will cost an arm and a leg.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I have one of the first gen yuba frames, and I know there are some oddities about the rear end, but a typical 135mm old hub works ok for it.
    I don't follow your statement "14mm centerbolt" though? You mean the axle? Could you upload some pictures? I've built a few unique cargo trikes/burning man trikes at the old electric bike shop and the nonprofit I used to manage.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    I meant to say cross axle bolt, I think? its the size many ebike motors use.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    What about using something like this (https://www.amazon.com/ACTION-AXLE-W...VDSAAV45WDMWWB) to help adapt a more traditional (and beefier potentially) hub to fit into those dropouts?

Depending on "how" your hub is blown and what you are wanting to achieve with replacing the rear hub/wheel, you have quite a few options but that could also include some expensive ones.

If you'd like, I'll have to wait till I can get to my storage unit, but I could take some pictures of normal hubs in my Yuba dropouts to give you an idea or two.
    Deflated - buy parts to sell parts to buy more parts.. bikes are my drug of choice

FATTrailer for the kiddo

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    that WOULD most likely work, I really wanted to find a hub that had a 14mm axle bolt though, I would be sacrificing load capacity with an adapte, I'm hoping it isn't my only option.

a bearing or 2 cracked and wore a lot of material off the inside, thats what the shop told me, I keep having to take it to them to readjust it because within a short time the wheel develops a wobble that gradually worsens until its taken apart again.

maybe, I don't much about hubs though thats an interesting thought. I really need to learn the ins/outs of them, along with working with spokes.

I'm currently waiting for a reply from an engineer from phil wood bikes, but its been about a day, either they don't check their email often or I'm being ignore....