DIY rear fender for Xtracycle Edgerunner- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Idea! DIY rear fender for Xtracycle Edgerunner

This post shows how I managed to avoid buying the dedicated Xtracycle Edgerunner fender set which I find a bit expensive. If you're like me and had a spare 26 inch fender laying around and simply slapped it at the front, you might be interested in how I fixed a 20 inch rear fender on this bike. If you've cut out the deck for child seats, you now how water and stuff fly out of those holes!

I started with the Planet Bike Hardcore recumbent fender in the 50mm width (Fenders Hardcore Recumbent). Very cheap at MEC in Canada (22$). I started at the front end using a rear rack strut that I bent a bit. Pretty easy.
    DIY rear fender for Xtracycle Edgerunner-20160528_143247.jpg

Then I used the clip bracket that came with the fender and fixed it on the frame's ''seat stay'' bridge. That was also straight forward.

DIY rear fender for Xtracycle Edgerunner-20160528_143253.jpg

Now for the tricky part at the rear. A great LBS gave me a spare strut and a fender eyelet bolt, similar to those Velo Orange sells (Fender Eyelet Bolts, 5mm) The frame has screw in mounts on botth sides facing upward, I used these to mount the strut similarly to VO metal fenders. There was a lot of bending involved and I was a tad too close to the tire once done, so I added shims and longer bolts.

DIY rear fender for Xtracycle Edgerunner-20160528_143302.jpgDIY rear fender for Xtracycle Edgerunner-20160528_143314.jpg

The final product is very solid, the fender never touches the tire, even on very bumpy roads. My Yepp Maxi and it's passenger stays clean.

Overall I very satisfied with the results and encourage others to try it out. The only thing I would do differently is use some of these clips (VO R-clip 4-pack - Fenders, Accessories, Hardware - Accessories) for fixing the rear strut. I think I could have had a cleaner look.

Happy riding!

mtbr member
    Aloha, nice work!