Unboxing and assembling my 2018 Spectral- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Unboxing and assembling my 2018 Spectral

Was very excited, my 2018 Spectral came in yesterday. Only took 5 days from the day I ordered it.

They include a torque wrench, carbon paste, etc. I pulled out what looked like a quick start guide and a thick manual that looked more like a 50 page safety guide.

The QS guide was not too bad, though did not have a lot of detail, no torque specs, etc. The torque specs are pretty much always on the parts, so that was good.

The only problems I ran into were:

Front brake disk out of round. A quick call to Canyon this morning seems like it will resolve the issue. They will either let me go to a local shop and get it fixed, or send me one. I asked them to just put one in the mail.

The other issue is that I could not find a torque for the new seat post clamp. Now, granted I did not read the thick manual cover to cover in detail, but flipped through, and it still showed a standard clamp type. Same thing, Canyon support got that for me over the phone.

One item I noticed was that they installed the tired with the MAXXIS nicely lined up with the valve stems, and even air in the tires!

Hoping I can shred this weekend!

John.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JStrube View Post

The only problems I ran into were:

Front brake disk out of round..
    What does this mean?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    What does this mean?
    It means the rotor needs truing, just like EVERY new bike that comes in a box. OP, probably will have to true the replacement rotor as well when it comes in. This is normal.
    :nono:

mtbr member
    I've never had to true a rotor in my life. However, the bolts on our Canyon disc rotors were too loose, so check them, and make sure the rotor is properly seated. Also, check your frame extremely carefully. We have a frame crack develop at the chain stay two months out of the box -- I suspect something was amiss to begin with.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JStrube View Post
    The other issue is that I could not find a torque for the new seat post clamp. ...
    Grats.

It sounds like you found this out, but mine was printed next to the bolt. You may have to take the rubber/plastic knub out, I forget. However, when I torqued it to this value (4Nm, and I used the assembly paste) all was well on my first ride, until after my last decent, where the seatpost slipped down. I wish I had brought the little 5Nm torque wrench with me, as I was afraid of over torqueing it with my multitool, and rode my last climb with my seat too low, which I can still feel in my knees.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by LargeMan View Post
    It means the rotor needs truing, just like EVERY new bike that comes in a box. OP, probably will have to true the replacement rotor as well when it comes in. This is normal.
    I've never had to true a new rotor, but then again, I've bought only 4 individually...

My expectation is that rotors should not have 1/4" of runout.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Should have put "rotor had excessive runout". The rotor is pretty dang round.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    No option to use a bash guard on the Spectral, only chain guide. Unless one changes cranks and chainring, there are no ISC0G5
    tabs... Otherwise pretty straightforward assembly.

Massive head tube- may need to slam the stem down as the front wheel lifts too easily.