Grand Canyon dropper post routing?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Grand Canyon dropper post routing?

Hi,

My girlfriend has a 2018 Grand Canyon SLX 8.0 (S) and I would like to change it from 2x11 to 1x11 ad add a Bike Yoke Revive 125mm internally routed dropper post.

Has anyone added a internally routed dropper to a Grand Canyon?

I wrote Canyon and they responded that there is no room for a cable past the BB. I do see there is a port out of the seat tube on the left side and a port in on the right side where the front derailleur cable went.

Any suggestions?

I already ordered the Bike Yoke dropped but am afraid I may have to send it back

EDIT: This is how Canyon does it on their "Trail" version of the Grand Canyon, but I think I will try it in the port where the front derailuer cable comes out first

Grand Canyon dropper post routing?-gcanyon.jpg

Grand Canyon dropper post routing?-gc.jpg
    Last edited by Hesher123; 03-13-2019 at 04:44 AM.
    2020 SC Hightower v2
    2019 Spec. Stumpjumper
    2018 SC Hightower v1
    2017 Scott Spark 930
    2004 Spec. Stumpjumper

mtbr member
    Apr 2020

Been there done that

Hi,
    I know this is a bit late to reply but I'll just leave the reply here - I found no help on the topic, so might as well leave pointers for other riders.

I was looking to upgrade my bike with Brand-X Ascend dropper post.

I have Grand Canyon AL 2019. My model has front derailleur and therefore no more empty body ports. However, the passthrough on the right side of the frame is much bigger than it needed to be, so I just drilled a second hole next to it (8mm diameter hole) and covered that with a bit of red spray paint on a brush - see photo. The aluminium is thicker in this part, so structural integrity of the frame is not compromised. If you have a 1x11/1x12 however, you dont have to worry...

When you look down the seat tube and feel with your fingers for the opening on the bottom of the frame, you can see the tip of your finger next to your BB. Therefore, there is a passage the cable could be ran through. As I am writing this post-install, I have no photo of this view.

The cable used by droppers is usually a shifter cable - with a shifter housing. The housing included with the post i bought is quite stiff and getting it into position was a nightmare - the bend is not that tight, but it keeps on biting on the seat tube end. Other brand housing might yield different results. If I am ever replacing the housing, I will use a brake housing - goes around bends much easier and is just fine to use for a dropper remote. Wish I had this bright idea at the time of installation... LINK

I now have a working internally routed dropper post with a 2x11 setup. The cockpit is not very clean with all the levers, but it could be worse and it is actually not that difficult to operate. I have also used a spiral cable binder to keep it somehow organized. Now to add in a fork remote and it will become total lever chaos.

Hope someone finds this helpful

Cheers

Stanley

Also sorry for the bike cave quality...its not a very nice place atm...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grand Canyon dropper post routing?-img_6268.jpg  

Grand Canyon dropper post routing?-img_6266.jpg  

Grand Canyon dropper post routing?-img_6262.jpg  

Grand Canyon dropper post routing?-img_6259.jpg  

Grand Canyon dropper post routing?-img_6261.jpg  

Last edited by saestear; 04-09-2020 at 03:08 PM. Reason: I just realized you can actually see the dropper cable in the undershot. Also added a link to discussion about the housing.