Experiences with warranty for the frame?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Experiences with warranty for the frame?

My kid has a Spectral 8.0, with the CF main frame and aluminum triangle. (My name is on the proof of purchase). We just got it in late Feb and he has less than 150 miles on it, and it has developed a crack in the weld of the chain-stay. He weighs about 135 lbs and hasn't abused it in any way (I've been present on almost all the rides). So it should be a straightforward claim, I hope. We still have the box, and there is no shipping damage, and he found this due to an increasingly audible noise, so I think it has been developing since arrival.

How straightforward is the process, and do they tend to honor reasonable claims?

Experiences with warranty for the frame?-img_0837crop.jpg
    Last edited by wgscott; 05-05-2018 at 10:26 PM.

mtbr member
    That's a warranty claim for sure.
    But you need to ship your whole bike back to Canyon.
    There was a similiar story last year here in germany.
    At first Canyon did responded really bad to the costumer so there was a massive shitstorm on the MTB News forum.
    In the end Canyon gave in an he got his new chainstay, but again, you need to ship your bike back to them or else they won't do it.
    Canyon does not sell frame parts, because say claim it's saver if they do the work and not the costumer.

But one thing for sure, it will take a while before you get the bike back.
    Canyon has lots of costumer who can't even use a screwdriver so they go to Canyon on every little issuse they have, which than puts a lot of stress to their workers. The waiting line is huge my friend, well at least here in germany.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    That's what I am afraid of.

Hopefully being new and trying to get established in the US market, they will be more forthcoming.

(I broke a Bianchi frame under warranty in 1988 and it took about a year to get a new one. That was hard enough in my late 20s. For a 15 year old, it would be too much to ask. Hopefully it will be a quicker turnaround.)

mtbr member
    Looks like my fear is completely unjustified. They are very helpful and are dealing with this very promptly and are going above and beyond the call of duty.

mtbr member
    Good to hear.
    But as a german it really sucks to always see both Canyon and YT doing a better job outside of germany than they do here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    What did Canyon end up doing to resolve this issue?

I've been waiting on a new chainstay for 6 weeks now. Talked to them on the phone today and they aren't even planning to ship anything for another week. I live on the east coast, so it will take an additional week to get here. So in all, my bike will have been "down" for 8 weeks during peak riding season. This is very frustrating.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I've heard good feedback regarding Canyon's warranty process. They are local to me and have the best bikes for the value IMO. Can't wait for the new Lux to be released.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Bought my Spectral 6.0 in May...just wondering how long they knew about the chainstay issue? Very disappointing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    As an update for my situation. After calling Canyon, and voicing my concern with this issue and inquiring into the ship dates for these chainstays, I received a shipping notification about an hour later. So I'm glad the new chainstay is finally on the way. The "care package" is chain lube and a mudguard. So not too bad.

Just a heads up for anyone waiting on one themselves, the customer service tech said there is no order for who receives these first, so it may be worth giving them a phone call to expedite things.