Caynyon Dude Fatbike - 2018 Model Comming Soon to the USA?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Canyon Dude Fatbike - 2018 Model Comming Soon to the USA?

I'm nearly decided that my next bike will be a Fatbike and I'm leaning heavily towards the Canyon Dude CF 8.0. The US website is up and running but the bike is not available just yet. I made a call to their US phone number and their info is that they will be in stock "mid-Oct". You could tell their personnel are still in training since he had to go ask for nearly every question I had. They were finally able to get me answers. Yes the brakes are hydraulic, yes it does have dropper post internal cable routing and No to the rims being tubeless. Note: after doing some investigation some have had success with tubeless setup even though DT-Swiss does not condone.

Love the look and build for the money. The Salsa Beargrease is also a contender but the Canyon Dude has a few pluses and It is such a sweet looking bike.

So hopefully the info is correct. I want the bike in the garage well before the snow flies in North Dakota.
    Last edited by Geoff_L; 11-03-2017 at 09:36 AM.

Norwegr
    I really like my 2015 9.0 SL, there's only been small incremental updates to the Dude frames since it was initially launched. Though as of last year they started using lower end wheelsets on the cheaper models.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    So, are the Dude models on the site now 2017 or 2018 models?

mtbr member
    What changes were made to the wheelset? I may still go with the 9,0. It has an Eagle groupset and better brakes too.

Norwegr
    DT BR2250 VS DT BR2300, afaik the numbers signify weight so something is different on the lower end.

mtbr member
    I assumed they are 2018 models since they have different color scheme and different groupsets than the ones on the German website.

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/mtb/dude/

mtbr member
    Anyone look at the Dude CF 8.0 versus the CF 9.0. The 9.0 has several upgrades including Eagle GX but the $800 (40%) upcharge seems a bit steep. I guess it all depends on what is different in the wheelset (hubs). If they are $250 better the 9.0 price may be justified?

mtbr member
    I was able to place my order for the Dude CF 8.0 on Saturday. The 9.0 Ultimate bikes are shown available on the website (Large is now coming soon) but he 8.0 bikes are all back to coming soon. Not sure what is going on and their customer service didn't know either. I received a shipping confirmation Monday afternoon and FedEx tracking shows it arriving at my home in North Dakota on Friday. I'll try and post some pictures and my initial thoughts once it arrives.

mtbr member

The Dude is here

My Dude 8.0 showed up on Friday as promised by FedEx. I've only been out for a couple of rides but so far I'm happy with the bike. Here are some early impressions.

- My sales order part number was [154094 Dud CF 8.0 18 S gn/og]. The day before delivery I began to wonder if the gn/og may be the color. If you look on the international site there are Canyon Dudes with that color scheme. Upon opening the box I was happy to see the stealth color I thought I had ordered.

- Canyon does a better job than other companies in the out of box experience. This is the fourth bike I purchased online and assembled myself. Derailleur and brake rotors were adjusted correctly. Brake and derailleur cables are all the correct length. Packaging is adequate to protect the bike but not overdone.

- I purchased a small size bike (I'm 5'6" with a 30" inseam). I think the bike is the right size but I feel like the saddle should be a bit farther rearward. I already slid the saddle as far back as I can on the rails. I should be able to accomplish with an offset seat post. More rides and tweaking needed before making the decision.

- The black on black decals on the seat stays have some different shading. I don't think it is on purpose. It appears to a cosmetic flaw. I will contact Canyon about it.

- Positive surprises. Jumbo Jims seem to be nice tires. Weight of the bike (size small) with my Crankbother Stamp large pedals and water bottle cage was 25 lb 4 oz. DT Swiss wheel set is nice. The Shimano hydraulic brakes are plenty good.

Totally excited I got this bike. Snow is usually only a few weeks away this time of year in ND. Anyone have questions. Ask away and I'll try and answer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Caynyon Dude Fatbike  - 2018 Model  Comming Soon to the USA?-img_20171006_165743.jpg  

mtbr member
    Setup the DT Swiss wheels tubeless last night. All seems to have went well. These aren't advertised as tubeless rims and tires but rim shelf is good and the tires fit tight enough. I trimmed about a 1/4 inch off each edge of the rim strip, put one layer of 3 " Tyvek tape down, added valve stems, removed the core and the tires aired up without any issues. Added 6 oz of Orange Seal sub zero to each tire. Rear held all the pressure overnight. Front lost 3 psi. Need to ride it more to get the orange seal in all the right places.

I also contacted DT Swiss about getting the spoke lengths. Not only did they get me the lengths they are sending me 2 spokes of each length free of charge. Pretty awesome customer service.

mtbr member

One Week Update

My Dude 8.0 was delivered a week ago today.

Initial Thoughts

- This is my first fat bike so I'm learning the pluses and minuses of the bike category. Tire pressure is something I'm still learning how to adjust. I'm settling in at around 7psi front , 8 psi rear for dry single track.

- The 28T front chain ring is a bit small for my current ridding. Its no problem on the trails but for transferring to and from the trail if I have any kind of downhill or tail wind the 28-11 combo has me spinning out. I'm also not needing the 42 rear cog so I may buy a 30 or 32 for next summer. Once it snows I think the 28 is the correct choice.

- I converted to tubless and weighed the bike again (25 lb). I only lost a few ounces so my scale (using a fish scale) may be off a bit. The tubes themselves weigh nearly a pound each. So I should have lost at least a pound factoring in 12oz of sealant , tape and valves. Still a 25 lb fatbike for $2,000 is really respectable.

- Although it's not as light, fast or maneuverable as my 29r hard tail this bike still remarkably responsive with 4" tires. The traction in smooth corners and up steep climbs is unbelievable. The rigid fork still makes you pick your lines a bit more careful and you have to be a bit more active lifting the front over large obstacles. Its a different riding experience than a regular mountain bike but still fun.

- The only negative I've encountered so far is the gloss black finish that is on the rear of the top tube that extends on the seat stays. The finish is not consistent and to me looks blotchy in appearance. I contacted Canyon and they insist this area is the bare carbon with a clear coat and their customers like the appearance. I beg to differ. I think it should have got a shot of black overcoat before the clear coat. To each their own I guess. Not that big of a deal to me since my bikes get used and are typically too dirty to notice something like that.Caynyon Dude Fatbike  - 2018 Model  Comming Soon to the USA?-dude-frame.jpg

Overall it is a solid bike and I'm not regretting the purchase. I wouldn't mind having the Eagle groupset that's on the 9.0 but I'm still not sure where the extra $800 is justified on that model. For me anyway, I think that money is better spent on upgrades to my other bikes or a start to my next bike purchase.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Caynyon Dude Fatbike  - 2018 Model  Comming Soon to the USA?-my-dude.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    How is the Q factor on the dude? Is it "normal" for a fatbike or narrow like on the Otso Voytek or the new Rocky Mountain Suzi Q? What width BB and rear hub does it use?
    2017 Giant Anthem Advanced SX
    2004 Seven Axiom Ti
    2007 Cannondale Capo

mtbr member
    I was curious about the BB so I removed the crank last week. Note that you need a crank puller for the Raceface crank. The bottom bracket shell is a press fit 41mm x 121mm. With the bottom brackets installed its about 130mm. Not sure on the actual Q factor but I'm guessing its on the wider side. It's definitely noticeable. I'm okay with it from a pedaling standpoint but I tend to notice it most when cornering while pedaling or pedaling off camber trail sections. It can be a cause for some pedal strikes.
    Caynyon Dude Fatbike  - 2018 Model  Comming Soon to the USA?-bottom-bracket.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks for the feedback.
    2017 Giant Anthem Advanced SX
    2004 Seven Axiom Ti
    2007 Cannondale Capo

mtbr member
    I measured the Q factor the best I could and get around 200 mm. It's hard to get a good measurement though. The rear axle spacing is 197mm. The front axle is 150mm.

Norwegr
    Dude has one of the narrowest Qs for a bike capable of fitting 4.8 tires. If you think it's wide you should be very happy that you didn't buy a different 4.8 fatbike.

The non painted finish you have a photo of is quite normal for frames without paint. My Cannondale, Devinci, Ibis and Dude were all like this.

Instead of tape I'd suggest using fattystrippers for additional weightloss. Stripper, band to cover the spokes and a tiny amount of sealant and you'd be good to go.

mtbr member
    Caynyon Dude Fatbike  - 2018 Model  Comming Soon to the USA?-img_20171013_194731.jpg

Looking at the Raceface website the Aeffect Crank with the XCF 100 prefix is a 205 mm Q factor. I guess my measurement of 200 mm wasn't that far off. This is the narrowest recommended for a 197 mm rear wheel spacing. The wider Q factors are 223 mm to 228 mm.

mtbr member
    We had an unbelievable weather day for the 20th of October in North Dakota. It was 80 degrees, sunny and low wind. I had the opportunity to ride some of the one of a kind Maah-daah-hey trail in the North Dakota Badlands. A Fatbike is a good tool for the job. Steep loose climbs, some sand, stream and river crossings. The Dude did a fantastic job. On race day out here I'll still be using my XC race bike but for normal days on the trail I'm taking the Dude.

mtbr member
    Goeff_L - Does your frame have internal routing provisions for a dropper post? I would definitely be putting a dropper on my fat bike and internal routing would be preferable.

Norwegr
    They do have that. It's on the left side and a little to the rear.

Random picture:
    Caynyon Dude Fatbike  - 2018 Model  Comming Soon to the USA?-993107d1433267322-canyon-dude-wait-club-11355375_10153421302464903_310625383_n.jpg

mtbr member
    I believe you have two options for dropper. With no front derailure you could use the open port on the right side of the head tube and fish the cable through the BB. This would be the cleanest but a total pain. Since the crank axle is exposed in the BB you could risk it rubbing on the housing.

The designed method has you piggybacking the dropper cable to the externally routed rear brake cable to a port on the left side of the seat tube.

Norwegr
    2" grosgrain ribbon works great as rim strips for the DT rims btw, you can pretty much get them in any colour and fade.

mtbr member

First Snow on the Dude

We got a couple of inches of snow so I got the chance to give the Canyon Dude a test ride for the primary purpose I bought it. I'm already kicking myself for not buying a fatbike bike years ago.

I'm still plenty happy with the performance of the Dude. Other than converting the wheels to tubeless the bike is as it came in the box. I was expecting to replace the saddle by now but it actually is not that uncomfortable.

I'm thinking bigger tires may be the next upgrade. I'm going to give the 4" JJ a little more time to see how they work out in various snow conditions. Time will tell.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Caynyon Dude Fatbike  - 2018 Model  Comming Soon to the USA?-img_20171104_132820.jpg  

mtbr member
    Wider tires will help, but play with air pressure first. You will be amazed at how low you need to go to get proper traction. The sidewalls will be wrinkling.

How do you like the drive train on the Dude? I'm go back and forth between the two build kits...that and the size because I'm kinda in between their M and L.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bizango View Post
    Wider tires will help, but play with air pressure first. You will be amazed at how low you need to go to get proper traction. The sidewalls will be wrinkling.

How do you like the drive train on the Dude? I'm go back and forth between the two build kits...that and the size because I'm kinda in between their M and L.
    The drive train on the 8.0 is fine. I was considering going with the 9.0 to get the Eagle group but ended up deciding that the NX was good enough for what I was using the bike for. If this was going to be my primary bike I think I would have struggled with the decision more.

Beyond the group-set (which you can upgrade for $400 and still have a NX group for another bike or to sell on Ebay) the rest of the components dont seem like much of a downgrade.

The bars, seat post, saddle, grips are all still decent quality and work fine. The only thing you are out on the wheels is that the rear hub is a DT Swiss 370 instead of the 350. This substitutes a very nice 3 pawl hub instead of DTs ratchet system hub. Im not seeing that as that much of a down grade either.

The brakes are actually fine too. I guess the guide brakes would be a bit better but Ive heard of people having issues with them also. Shimano brakes seem to be a bit more bullet proof. Ive had Shimano XTs on my primary bike for years. The Dude 8.0 brakes are maybe a bit less refined but certainly not a junky brake set and better than a mechanical brakes that many bikes in this price range have.

As far as size, that was a dilemma for me as well. Im 56 with a 30 inseam and fall right between a small and a medium on most bikes. Canyon and other manufactures recommend a small for a fatbike. I looked at the geo charts for days. Comparing my medium sized hard tail XC bike it fell closer to the small than the medium Dude (15mm shorter reach). In the end I went with the small.

Im happy with the fit since the big tires are a bit more difficult to throw around on the trail and the smaller frame seems to work well for this. As far as peddling position Im only an inch or so from the min extension line on the seat post (400 mm seat post). So if my legs were much longer Id be running out of room there. Im also thinking an offset seat post may be in my future since I feel I would prefer the saddle back a bit more than I have for adjustment now. So I think if you are between sizes its just all about your handling preference. Im sure you can get either size to fit you with some cockpit changes.
    Last edited by Geoff_L; 11-07-2017 at 05:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Interested to hear about more Dudes in the USA. I've had mine for two years now and it is a great ride - my 2015 8.0 is about 11.7kg stock with tubeless (no pedals).

BTW, there is a Canyon Dude Facebook group.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/2110028932607475/
    Last edited by Daniel Middleton; 11-13-2017 at 03:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the updates, I got a Bucksaw now and I love it, was thinking about adding a Dude just to go with 5" for snow,which wont fit a Bucksaw.

About your tires pressure and the Jumbo Jims, the lower you can go without any self steer the better, Im sure you could go 5-6lb range...im a big guy and on the Bucksaw with 65mm rims I use 8-9psi...larger rims lower pressure.
    2017 Surly Ogre

Norwegr
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    Thanks for the updates, I got a Bucksaw now and I love it, was thinking about adding a Dude just to go with 5" for snow,which wont fit a Bucksaw.
    Dude won't fit true 5" on 80mm+ rims, B&L will though.

mtbr member
    Finally shat and got off the pot. I have been looking to replace my 2012 Salsa Mukluk that I bought used. I was never entirely happy with that bike. It was too big (no standover), the quick release + disc brake combo is a recipe for frustration, and I've gotten really use to 1x drive trains. I'd narrowed my look down to the Dude and the Eleven Cycles fat bike. The geometry, spec, and price of the Dude won me over. I debated between the 8.0 and 9.0 and ended up with the 9.0. It is a nicer spec than I need for how I'll use the bike, but I also hate the "buy new, then start spending more money to upgrade" mode that I've always found myself in when I get a value build. That said, that value build on the 8.0 is stellar and a more reasonable person than me would be well served by it. I ended up going with a medium frame. The larges are out of stock and I was afraid of having standover issues again. Plus, the M has nearly the same reach as my Mukluk and that has felt fine. I'll post again once it arrives!

mtbr member
    Finally shat and got off the pot. I have been looking to replace my 2012 Salsa Mukluk that I bought used. I was never entirely happy with that bike. It was too big (no standover), the quick release + disc brake combo is a recipe for frustration, and I've gotten really use to 1x drive trains. I'd narrowed my look down to the Dude and the Eleven Cycles fat bike. The geometry, spec, and price of the Dude won me over. I debated between the 8.0 and 9.0 and ended up with the 9.0. It is a nicer spec than I need for how I'll use the bike, but I also hate the "buy new, then start spending more money to upgrade" mode that I've always found myself in when I get a value build. That said, that value build on the 8.0 is stellar and a more reasonable person than me would be well served by it. I ended up going with a medium frame. The larges are out of stock and I was afraid of having standover issues again. Plus, the M has nearly the same reach as my Mukluk and that has felt fine. I'll post again once it arrives!
    How tall are you? Im 5'11" and currently ride a large bucksaw, I sometimes wish I test rode a Medium.

mtbr member
    How tall are you? Im 5'11" and currently ride a large bucksaw, I sometimes wish I test rode a Medium.
    I'm 5' 11" with ~31.5" inseam, so shortish legs for my height. The reach and standover were factors for me. The M Dude is on the short side as far as reach...it is something I'm anxious about. That said, it is consistent with geometry from several other brands and I'm pretty sure it will work. My Mukluk is nearly the same in tt, but it has a weird long stem and swept back bar, so that makes it hard to draw direct comparisons. I think the 60mm stem will be fine for the reach of this frame. I really didn't want to put a longer stem than that on. There are also brands that run long. I think a lot of people are looking for trail bike geometry in a fat bike, probably because many of them use it year 'round. For me though this will be a winter bike only, so I want something that will handle naturally at slow snow speeds.
    I anticipate putting a dropper post on it. My Mukluk was a 27.2 post with no internal provision, so it limited options (and limited the other bikes I could switch the post over to). The other change I might make is GripShift. I had that on the Mukluk and it is convenient when you have heavy lobster gloves on.

mtbr member
    I'm 5' 11" with ~31.5" inseam, so shortish legs for my height. The reach and standover were factors for me. The M Dude is on the short side as far as reach...it is something I'm anxious about. That said, it is consistent with geometry from several other brands and I'm pretty sure it will work. My Mukluk is nearly the same in tt, but it has a weird long stem and swept back bar, so that makes it hard to draw direct comparisons. I think the 60mm stem will be fine for the reach of this frame. I really didn't want to put a longer stem than that on. There are also brands that run long. I think a lot of people are looking for trail bike geometry in a fat bike, probably because many of them use it year 'round. For me though this will be a winter bike only, so I want something that will handle naturally at slow snow speeds.
    I anticipate putting a dropper post on it. My Mukluk was a 27.2 post with no internal provision, so it limited options (and limited the other bikes I could switch the post over to). The other change I might make is GripShift. I had that on the Mukluk and it is convenient when you have heavy lobster gloves on.
    I think you will be happy with the Med. I also went gripshift and am loving it. It's better with heavy gloves and is great to be able to dump a bunch of gears when you go from a few inches of crusty snow to some bare ground.

Looking forward to what you think of the 9.0. I went back and forth in my head a few times myself. In the end I happy with the 8.0 . It's fine for my use. I don't plan on upgrading anything beyond the shifter except maybe the saddle. For now I'm actually fine with that as well.

Overall the Dude has been great to ride. Actually looking forward to riding outside this winter.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Mine will be here monday! I ordered the 8.0 as well

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtnHi9.8 View Post
    Mine will be here monday! I ordered the 8.0 as well
    Congrats. I don't think you will be disappointed.

I did a review video if anyone is interested. I'm NOT a professional Youtube reviewer so you have to cut me some slack.

https://youtu.be/R9QjqJ7v88Q

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Yep, I watched your videos before I ordered it. Very helpful! Thank you

mtbr member
    The 9.0 Dude arrived today. Some quick impressions:

* Shipping was quick...less than a week.
    * Packaging was stellar and set-up was quite easy. They have put good thought into this process.
    * Frame seems really nice, as do the wheels. The spec overall is really good.
    * The 4.0 Jumbo Jim tires will probably go. I will likely put them on the Mukluk when I sell it. The tire is too narrow and the tread really shallow. This is a snow bike for me and flotation and traction are a priority. I won't be riding this as a trail bike (that's what trail bikes are for).
    * The fit was my biggest concern. I'm 5'11" with ~31.5 inseam. I ordered a Med. Standover seems adequate...better than my size L Mukluk (too big for me). The reach is fine. Would 2cm longer be ok? Sure, I think that would be ideal, but the fit as-is doesn't feel off. I expect to put a dropper post on at some point and will look at a 9point8 with set-back. I'll play with saddle position first.

Overall I am impressed and happy with the purchase. The real test of course is riding and I'll have to wait until the snow is here (not wishing too soon though...the trail conditions are stellar right now!). More later...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Anyone mounted a mastodon to the Dude yet? Reason I ask is there is a YouTube video of a guy with a Farley EX 9.8 that ran into clearance issues.

mtbr member

Dude is on sale

Bummer for those of us that just bought one but great news for those of you just about to order a new Fatbike.
    Caynyon Dude Fatbike  - 2018 Model  Comming Soon to the USA?-capture.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff_L View Post
    Bummer for those of us that just bought one but great news for those of you just about to order a new Fatbike.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	226 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	1169866
    I was just on the site and there is no discount or there a code or something
    2017 Surly Ogre

mtbr member
    yeah, wow, my timing couldn't have been much worse! (sigh) oh well, it's just money.

mtbr member
    yeah, wow, my timing couldn't have been much worse! (sigh) oh well, it's just money.
    If you are still in the 30 day return window I'd give them a call and see if they can do something for you.

mtbr member
    I was just on the site and there is no discount or there a code or something
    I just checked the site and the prices are lower.

Distributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff_L View Post
    If you are still in the 30 day return window I'd give them a call and see if they can do something for you.
    I just took delivery of an 8.0 yesterday and called Canyon and they credited me back the difference.

Amazing to get this much bike with a 6 year warranty, no sales tax and only $60 shipping.
    carbonLORD /// KILOMETER

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    And... the prices are back up.

mtbr member
    We finally got our first real snow at lower elevations here yesterday. Had the new Dude out for a bit in the snow and I am super happy with the way it rode. It wasn't very heavy/wet snow, which is always easier to ride in, but I was able to ride in and out of ruts and over snowplow berms with no fuss. It felt natural, which is what I always want in a bike. Even though they are tanks, I'm glad I had the Bud/Lou combo on there. Traction was never an issue. The Eagle drivetrain has been wonderful.

mtbr member
    Loving my 8.0 so far. Anyone added a Mastodon? What did it do to HTA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy C 29er
    2018 Canyon Dude fatty with Mastodon
    2018 Nashbar Sora Alloy gravel bike

mtbr member
    Following up, I did order, install, and ride with the Mastadon. I went with the STD 120mm Pro version and self installed. So far, so good. Really makes the bike a blast on all trains. My FS Santa Cruz just isn't the same now.

Caynyon Dude Fatbike  - 2018 Model  Comming Soon to the USA?-canyon.jpg
    2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy C 29er
    2018 Canyon Dude fatty with Mastodon
    2018 Nashbar Sora Alloy gravel bike

mtbr member
    I noticed that the Dude is no longer listed on the US website. Hopefully they aren't discontinuing this model; I love mine. Every time I ride it I think of how much more I enjoy the performance and riding experience compared to my old salsa Mukluk. Everything about the Dude is better.

mtbr member
    Canyon confirmed that they will not be offering a 2019 Dude. Too bad, it's a great bike (though a little short in the reach). I didn't ask why, but if it was selling they would be offering it.