Canyon Torque 2018- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Canyon Torque 2018

Looks like there is no thread here for the Torque, so I will start one.

I'm interested in the Torque AL models for bike park action.
    My YT Jeffsy CF Pro is a great touring bike, but for me it is a bit too precious for bike park usage.

I don't really care about the uphill performence, but others who already had their test rides claimed that it pedals just as easy as the Spectral/Jeffsy.

I also will be visiting the Canyon headquarters next week to test it.
    Canyon already told me that the max. tire wide will be 2.6 inch on the Torque.
    Ahh could be more, but better than just 2.4 I guess.

If you want some information on other models and pictures just tell me.
    I will try my best to help you guys out.

The welds on the so called "seat dome" don't look so bad in RL.
    Here are some pics by others.

Canyon Torque 2018-sitzdom-0.jpgCanyon Torque 2018-sitzdom-1.jpgCanyon Torque 2018-sitzdom-2.jpgCanyon Torque 2018-sitzdom.jpg

I want to go for the orange AL 5.0 version.
    I know that the AL 6.0 is of better value, but that orange just looks so great.

I still can't decide.
    But it will be aluminium since it is meant to ride in park.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    delete
    Last edited by Kevinl314; 03-26-2018 at 08:45 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I'm also eyeing one of these for the upcoming season, but I'm looking for sort of a "do it all" bike that I don't have to worry much about at the bike park but can also keep up with my buddies on the trail. The Torque looks super capable downhill but I worry about it on longer rides with some climbing. Let me know your thoughts once you get back from the factory. Thanks and have fun test riding!

mtbr member
    I haven't visited Canyon HQ yet.
    The weather ( really snowy ) and the 650 kilometers distance was to much for me to try it.
    I think I will simply order one and see how it is.

About the climbing.

I don't really care about the "uphill thing" on the Torque.
    For touring I have my Jeffsy.
    But the thing is that basically every bike is a great touring bike as long if you have the stamina and the right drive train.
    Put an Eagle drivetrain on a DH bike you will be able to climb lots.

You can always train your stamina, so the Torque will be a good trail bike.
    Someone already has it ( CF version ) at stated that it climbs really good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinl314 View Post
    I'm also eyeing one of these for the upcoming season, but I'm looking for sort of a "do it all" bike that I don't have to worry much about at the bike park but can also keep up with my buddies on the trail. The Torque looks super capable downhill but I worry about it on longer rides with some climbing. Let me know your thoughts once you get back from the factory. Thanks and have fun test riding!
    Completely agreed. Weighing the "fun" factors of these 170-180mm 650b bikes (Torque and Nomad top of the list) compared to the 140-160mm 29ers (Ripmo, Wreckoning, etc) for my next bike. Wanna have fun but gotta be able to hang on during trail rides!

mtbr member
    I ordered my AL 5.0 yesterday.
    But the delivery date is pretty far away :P
    You don't eed too worry so much about "hang on during trail rides" thing.
    A good drivetrain and your own strength is worth so much more than that.

Here is a video about the suspension.
    Notice how the pedals are not moving on full travel.
    I think the Torque has a good rear suspension and pedal efficacy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I have recieved mine AL 6 in large today:

https://shrani.si/f/t/rV/NDZxtYD/20180425185905.jpg

Went with straight upgrade to 1x12 Eagle but got to the issue: "conflict" between chain and the hanger on 10T sprocket:

https://shrani.si/f/33/aI/2Aq4GKE7/20180425185923.jpg

Got my bike to the local mechanic an let him find the solution or my error.

Have to say that bike had some minor scratches on the frame and fork crown.
    Last edited by jernejk; 04-25-2018 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Wrong picture links

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jernejk View Post
    I have recieved mine AL 6 in large today:

https://shrani.si/f/t/rV/NDZxtYD/20180425185905.jpg

Went with straight upgrade to 1x12 Eagle but got to the issue: "conflict" between chain and the hanger on 10T sprocket:

https://shrani.si/f/33/aI/2Aq4GKE7/20180425185923.jpg

Got my bike to the local mechanic an let him find the solution or my error.

Have to say that bike had some minor scratches on the frame and fork crown.
    Your Chain is way too long.
    Should look like this
    Canyon Torque 2018-26.jpgCanyon Torque 2018-27.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I have just recieved a message from my mechanic; the casette was not tightened enugh. He said that everything is now working as it should. The test ride will have to wait untill the sunday...

mtbr member
    Have fun. It's a great bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hello guys,

I currently ride a Commencal Meta 6, great for downhill or station, not so great for climbing, even if during all this last year I took it on 20-35-40 km ride... The pilot suffer a lot, cause I haven't great stamina this last year to be honest (i"m not riding enough). I had a crush on the Torque recently. This is clearly my dream bike. But I really need to consider "long" ride with some climbing on a regular basis. I'm hesitatring between the Torque, and the Spectral. Any real life opinion? Cause even if I can read the Torque is good for climbing, I think the spectral have better capabilities for climbing, but less in descending (i'm living in a area with long climbing but with good singletrack/downhill tracks too!)

mtbr member
    Go for the Spectral.
    The Torque can clim well, but it's still a freerider.
    If you don't ride Park, than the Spectral is all you need.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I won't do bike bark, or even bike statioin like I did previously. I want to go out straight from my garage, and go climbing then descending through the singletracks.

Thanks for your help!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mydriaze View Post
    Hello guys,

I currently ride a Commencal Meta 6, great for downhill or station, not so great for climbing, even if during all this last year I took it on 20-35-40 km ride... The pilot suffer a lot, cause I haven't great stamina this last year to be honest (i"m not riding enough). I had a crush on the Torque recently. This is clearly my dream bike. But I really need to consider "long" ride with some climbing on a regular basis. I'm hesitatring between the Torque, and the Spectral. Any real life opinion? Cause even if I can read the Torque is good for climbing, I think the spectral have better capabilities for climbing, but less in descending (i'm living in a area with long climbing but with good singletrack/downhill tracks too!)
    I have both, Spectral and Torque (both AL 6, 2018 in size L). I have upgraded Torque with GX Eagle upgrade kit so both have the same gear ratio.
    At the parking lot both seems quite simillar, even on the melow fire road climbs feels the same.

BUT!

Of these two, Spectral pushes you to go up there, Torque just let you do your job to get to the top.

If you want to enjoy the whole ride, than go for the Spectral. If you want to enjoy the descend, the Torque is the way to go.
    Spectral: Climb 5 - Descend 5
    Torque: Climb 3 - Descend 7

I like going downill, but I am not some crazy gnarly shreader and I like riding my Torque more than Spectral. But if I had to choose one, I would probably went with Spectral and try to extend the fortk to 160mm.

mtbr member
    Damn you Canyon, I just want my Torque already.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I'm planning on getting a Torque as my only bike, a little bit worried too that it'll be too much for general trail riding (currently with a Swoop 170 which is okay, but I wouldn't go much bigger than that).

The thing is, I'm doing trail riding and "freeride" tracks with the same bike (even on the same ride a lot of the time, getting miles done to get to the jumps and DH tracks), and I'm planning to go to lift access bike parks once in a while (2 times a year, I guess), so I don't want to buy a classic trail bike, I would destroy a spectral, even if 80% of my riding would be perfect with it. I'm going really hard on the 170 mm of my Swoop already (linear linkage is great, but doesn't really like 3 m drops).

Glad to hear that this is a decent climber, but still having doubts about my choice, 50% of the time I'm like "a Torque would be perfect", and the other 50% "wtf would I do with 180mm of travel, I should get a 150mm 29er".

Enduro-mtb is going to do a comparison between the Torque and the Capra in their July edition, can't wait to see that (my money is on the Torque), but I think I will already have bought mine, unfortunate.

mtbr member
    Than the Torque will be perfect for you.

Here is the translation of a review.
    He is really pleased by the uphill perfomance, except the 165mm cranks.

Quote:

"So, extensive test run finished.

I had a Stumpjumper FSR Evo Expert and a Session, both 26.
    I always wanted to have a bike that can handle everything.
    But the previous attemts of any manufacturers always had to make some compromises.

More travel = more pedal bob, more weight, bad for uphill
    Better touring capability = bad on downhill

Most of the time there was something weird on the bikes.
    The seat angle, rear end kinematic, or the head angle was to steep for downhill.

The Torque is different.

My Stumpjumper was 12,5 Kg ( incl. heavy tires ) and was extremly fun on the trail, but it's limit was in rough and gnarly terrain.
    The Session...well, I don't need to explain, but for the most of my riding it was simply too much.

If someone had told me on my first uphill run with the Torque, that this is a 100mm travel bike, I would have belived it.
    The rear suspension is extremly neutral when pedaling uphill, unbelievable!
    I extra checked my sag setting:

Open LSC, open Shock = minimal pedal bob
    Open LSC, Shock set middle = 1mm is used
    Open LSC, Shock locked = 1mm is used

The difference between middle and locked setting is only noticeable when standing or on bigger impacts.
    In the middle position, this bike can ride uphill without any pedal bob.
    And this bike almost flys uphill.
    With 14,67 Kg ( AL 6 size L ) this bike feels exactly like my 2 Kg leighter Stumpjumper, only with the difference that everything is a little bit bigger.

No weird seat angle, no DH-ish seat position, nothing!
    Suitable for long and high trail rides.
    Only the 165mm crankset will be definitely changed for a 170mm, but this not a fair critic point of this bike, just my personal opinion.

On downhill:
    The position on the bike is very neutral, manuals are easy even on high speed and 175/180mm are speaking for themself.
    Absolut Park and DH capability.
    The low center of gravity gives of a Go-cart like feeling, that you normaly only find on DH Bikes.

The only downpoint: The tune shock is definitely crap.
    The useful setting range of the rebound is 3 clicks and is totally over damped.
    Let's see if I will change it for another tune some time.

Anyway, this thing ist really the bike I always wanted to have.
    It just isn't one of those "compromise bikes" that can do everything, but nothing really well.
    The Torque is touring bike, trail bike, park bike and mini DH in one package and shines in every category.

I would call it the successor of the old SX Trail, but leighter and way better"

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Wow, impressive for sure.

14.67 kg for the AL6 in L ? Whaaat ? The CF8 in M is weighted 14.2 by Bikeradar, the L 14.8 by MBR. Same weight for Al and CF ?

I was planning on getting a CF8, but if the Al is not heavier, I would certainly think about going cheaper.

The reviews are so positive...

Edit : delivery dates are scary tho, I plan on going to Ch‚tel mid or late July...

mtbr member
    That's because the tubes inside the tires are really heavy.
    600g it is.
    Switching to tubeless can save a lot.
    I also will go tubeless and change the heavy stem and handlebar for something else.

The delivery date...meh Canyon won't make it.
    They are soooo slow this year.
    I have a Jeffsy so I can wait.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I tought that magazines were weighting the bikes tubeless... Hum ok.

For the CF8 they are listing delivery for the first half of July, which is ok, but it's they have a more substantial delay in reality, it'll be a problem.

If it's the case I will probably buy a Capra or a Spindrift (which bother me a lot, I don't want those bikes ! I want a Torque !), don't really have the choice with my Swoop nearly sold.

Gonna ask them what they think about it.

If I got the CF8, I will probably buy GX eagle with 170mm cranks later, 350 bucks for quality 12s looks like a bargain and really in line with my "180mil trail bike" goal, the new debonair spring for the Lyrik, and I'll have my perfect bike, I think.

mtbr member
    The Capra is also great but way heavier than YT claims.
    The Spindrift has a too degressive, easy to buttom out rear suspension and it has no sealed bearings.
    I test rode it and the owner said the bearings get dirty and rusty in a short time which would get on my nerves.
    Also you can't use fox dampers on the Spindrift, because they will hit the frame when using the rear travel.
    Last edited by OneTrustMan; 06-11-2018 at 04:17 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I've heard a lot of good things on the Capra, but yeah, the weight seems higher than what they say, it has a less travel, lot's of pedal strikes (it seems), paint quality is poor and I definitely not like the spec sheet as much as the Torque. It's pricer too.

Spindrift is a dumb option for me I think, I want to get away from the linear travel of the Swoop, the chainstay is huuuge and, while it's a great descender, it seems boring on tamer trails. Didn't know about the bearings, I hate doing maintenance and tuning on a bike, I want to forget it, so that's a huge drawback.
    The big advantage is the specs / price... My god I can have eagle, x01 derailler, code RSC and flow MK3 for 3250 bucks delivered. Still a bad choice, but impressive none of the less.

Gonna go to Ch‚tel in August with a Torque I suppose...

Thanks for your insights.

mtbr member
    Thats why Im still sticking with the Torque.
    Upgrading to 12spd is no big deal.
    This week Sram will release the NX Eagle btw.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    It will be interesting to see the price and real life usage of it compared to GX. I think I'll stay on GX 12s considering the really low price and the build I want, not very high end components but still nice ones.

If it's cheaper for exactly the same thing, why not tho.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    So I'm stuck between a very well specced Propain Spindrift (GX Eagle, Code RSC, Lyrik RC2, Superdeluxe RC3, Flow Mk3, Cane Creek 110 headset, Bike yoke 160 etc), the standard Torques CF 8.0 or the AL 7.0 which I would upgrade to GX eagle. Firstly, is the carbon frame worth it and if I felt like I needed eagle down the line try and save and get it?

On the AL 7.0 could I keep the descendant 6k cranks as I'm sure I can see the eagle logo on the chainring, and just buy the gx eagle cassette, mech and shifter? That being said, could I do that on the CF 8.0 as well? Might save money. Although if I'm honest, the fox 36 and x2 on the AL 7.0 are what's attracting me. Not sure why I like them over the RCT3/Superdeluxe combo on the CF 8.0 or RC2/Superdeluxe combo on the Propain.

The propain is the best value for money and higher spec all round really but I get a bit of carbon envy and love the though of the CF 8.0 frame. The only thing that bothers me with the Propain is the shock placement for locking out the shock while riding, not possible as far as I can see. I've been told it pedals well anyway and with eagle should be able to hustle on enduro races as well as smash down hill and be usable for mellower trail rides.

Any thoughts? Also I'm 178cm, 32 leg and 90kgs. I'm thinking large frame in all of them even though propains guide insists I'd be a medium.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by toby843 View Post
    So I'm stuck between a very well specced Propain Spindrift (GX Eagle, Code RSC, Lyrik RC2, Superdeluxe RC3, Flow Mk3, Cane Creek 110 headset, Bike yoke 160 etc), the standard Torques CF 8.0 or the AL 7.0 which I would upgrade to GX eagle. Firstly, is the carbon frame worth it and if I felt like I needed eagle down the line try and save and get it?

On the AL 7.0 could I keep the descendant 6k cranks as I'm sure I can see the eagle logo on the chainring, and just buy the gx eagle cassette, mech and shifter? That being said, could I do that on the CF 8.0 as well? Might save money. Although if I'm honest, the fox 36 and x2 on the AL 7.0 are what's attracting me. Not sure why I like them over the RCT3/Superdeluxe combo on the CF 8.0 or RC2/Superdeluxe combo on the Propain.

The propain is the best value for money and higher spec all round really but I get a bit of carbon envy and love the though of the CF 8.0 frame. The only thing that bothers me with the Propain is the shock placement for locking out the shock while riding, not possible as far as I can see. I've been told it pedals well anyway and with eagle should be able to hustle on enduro races as well as smash down hill and be usable for mellower trail rides.

Any thoughts? Also I'm 178cm, 32 leg and 90kgs. I'm thinking large frame in all of them even though propains guide insists I'd be a medium.
    I was exactly in the same position, the Spindrift is really really attractive with the build and the price.

But between the two, after some thought and feedback, I think the Canyon is the better choice for me.

I need a "big" trail bike, that can do trail riding as well as 4 meters drops at bikeparks... And from what I've read, the Torque is perfect for that, and the Spindrift isn't.

The Spindrift looks to be boring on tame trails, has a poor pedaling efficiency (cf linkage design), is potentially heavier, huge chainstay, hard to lock shock, ...
    In addition, you get a not so progressive rear end which is not ideal, aluminium frame vs carbon, potential problems with the linkage, etc.

For me, quality of frame, linkage and versatility is way more significant than having eagle and RSCs. So, for me, Torque all the way.

Canyon has been really good when I asked for delivery dates, taking a reservation on a bike for me, without any obligation to purchase it when it's available.

The only doubt I have is against a LT 29er, like Capra 29. I clearly tend to prefer the Torque, but I don't know for sure. We will see when my bike will be sold, I guess.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

I have Torque AL 6, and yes, that is eagle what you see on the chainring. And yes, you can upgrade it with Eagle GX upgrade kit - I've done it and it works.

I do not have any experience with Spindrift but I have been looking at it before Torque was announced. Seems like best buy with all of the bling. I went for Torque because I bought a Spectral (2018) too, to match the pair. And I am happy with my choice because on the German forum the Torque vs. Spindrift is hot topic (because of Torque delivery delays) and Torque seems to win big time - mostly because peddaling efficency, progresive rear end and durabillity of bearings.

Sorry for my poor english...

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Yetichon View Post
    I was exactly in the same position, the Spindrift is really really attractive with the build and the price.

But between the two, after some thought and feedback, I think the Canyon is the better choice for me.

I need a "big" trail bike, that can do trail riding as well as 4 meters drops at bikeparks... And from what I've read, the Torque is perfect for that, and the Spindrift isn't.

The Spindrift looks to be boring on tame trails, has a poor pedaling efficiency (cf linkage design), is potentially heavier, huge chainstay, hard to lock shock, ...
    In addition, you get a not so progressive rear end which is not ideal, aluminium frame vs carbon, potential problems with the linkage, etc.

For me, quality of frame, linkage and versatility is way more significant than having eagle and RSCs. So, for me, Torque all the way.

Canyon has been really good when I asked for delivery dates, taking a reservation on a bike for me, without any obligation to purchase it when it's available.

The only doubt I have is against a LT 29er, like Capra 29. I clearly tend to prefer the Torque, but I don't know for sure. We will see when my bike will be sold, I guess.
    I am edging towards the Torque if I'm honest, partly for the looks but partly for being able to reach the shock easier and that I hear it pedals well. I think if regardless of wether I go AL 7.0 or CF 8.0 I'll end up upgrading to eagle to help climbs, just with the AL I could afford it straight away.

One other bike that's tempting me is the Strive CF 8.0 which I can get for £3249 with the sponsoring price. My only concerns are I hear it's not quite as slack as most would like but also at 178cm it recommends a medium but the large looks more appropriate for me in terms of reach and wheelbase. I'm after a long, slack bike really so I can feel the stability. I'm tired of my current bike being too short for me and feeling out of balance on steeper ground in races.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jernejk View Post
    I have Torque AL 6, and yes, that is eagle what you see on the chainring. And yes, you can upgrade it with Eagle GX upgrade kit - I've done it and it works.

I do not have any experience with Spindrift but I have been looking at it before Torque was announced. Seems like best buy with all of the bling. I went for Torque because I bought a Spectral (2018) too, to match the pair. And I am happy with my choice because on the German forum the Torque vs. Spindrift is hot topic (because of Torque delivery delays) and Torque seems to win big time - mostly because peddaling efficency, progresive rear end and durabillity of bearings.

Sorry for my poor english...
    Your English is very good mate. Good job. So the cranks and chainring could remain and I just buy the upgrade kit of cassette, shifter and rear derailleur?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Your English is very good mate. Good job. So the cranks and chainring could remain and I just buy the upgrade kit of cassette, shifter and rear derailleur?
    Thank you!

Yes, there is no need for new (other) cranks and chainring.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I am edging towards the Torque if I'm honest, partly for the looks but partly for being able to reach the shock easier and that I hear it pedals well. I think if regardless of wether I go AL 7.0 or CF 8.0 I'll end up upgrading to eagle to help climbs, just with the AL I could afford it straight away.

One other bike that's tempting me is the Strive CF 8.0 which I can get for £3249 with the sponsoring price. My only concerns are I hear it's not quite as slack as most would like but also at 178cm it recommends a medium but the large looks more appropriate for me in terms of reach and wheelbase. I'm after a long, slack bike really so I can feel the stability. I'm tired of my current bike being too short for me and feeling out of balance on steeper ground in races.
    I plan on getting eagle on mine too, to fill my hard hitting trail bike goal.

The strive is longer yeah, nice bike too, but the new one is coming soon so... 468mm is okay if you like really long bike, my Swoop is 473mm for my 183cm, it's perfect, but I would not want more (even gonna get less with the Torque).

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I plan on getting eagle on mine too, to fill my hard hitting trail bike goal.

The strive is longer yeah, nice bike too, but the new one is coming soon so... 468mm is okay if you like really long bike, my Swoop is 473mm for my 183cm, it's perfect, but I would not want more (even gonna get less with the Torque).
    Is there a new strive coming? I'm guessing they're going to bring it in line with the Spectral, Torque and Sender look and maybe 29er wheels to combat the capra 29?

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Is there a new strive coming? I'm guessing they're going to bring it in line with the Spectral, Torque and Sender look and maybe 29er wheels to combat the capra 29?
    For the 2019 line up, this is highly probable yeah, in 29" as their enduro race bike between the Spectral and Torque.

Would love to see what it is before buying the Torque, but I'm afraid it won't be possible as I need a bike for late July.

mtbr member
    For those who still read.
    I have given up on the Torque.
    Canyon moved my deliver date to mid sep.
    Waiting more than 6 months is enough for me.
    I have a 27 XXL Capra AL now.
    Got it in one week....you listen Canyon?
    Really happy with it so far.
    Cheers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    That's absolute madness! What model did you order? I ordered a CF 9.0 and it turned up in about 6 weeks, nearly a month early all the way in little old New Zealand. Pretty stoked with the service from Canyon so far. The capra would have been my next choice, they're rad.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Yep, this is ridiculous.

Went with the Capra too, but because of sizing, 460mm reach in L is not enough for me and the seat tube is too high in XL (500 mm... With a 170 mm dropper... Please).

Too bad Canyon is not using low seat tube, I have 465 mm on my Capra for the same reach and a 150 dropper.

The seat angle played too, the steeper one of the Capra is a huge plus for me.

I really wanted that Torque... Unfortunate.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory Julius View Post
    That's absolute madness! What model did you order? I ordered a CF 9.0 and it turned up in about 6 weeks, nearly a month early all the way in little old New Zealand. Pretty stoked with the service from Canyon so far. The capra would have been my next choice, they're rad.
    I testet my Capra in park already and oh boy I love it.
    My Capra AL has a GX Eagle and is traveld to 180mm
    The fork has the 2019 debon air upgrade.

The whole suspension works so well.
    It's using around 0 to 140mm travel really fast, but never bottom out on big jumps.
    You can tank through gnarly terrain stupidly fast.
    And the 15,5 kg feels just right for park riding. So much more control compared to my 12,5 kg Jeffsy.

The rear suspension works so well without the stupid 5mm plastic spacer that are reducing the travel from 180mm to 170mm.
    If you guys have the 170mm version, get those spacer out.
    Without them your shock can go over the 70mm mark on the damper.
    It will be a 250x75mm than.
    I made the right choice.

Ride on everyone!

mtbr member
    I really wanted that Torque... Unfortunate.
    To be frank.
    After their chainstay crack failure on the 2018 Spectral, I am kind of glad I got the Capra.
    Canyon is known for having the absolutly worst service in the whole bike business.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTrustMan View Post
    I testet my Capra in park already and oh boy I love it.
    My Capra AL has a GX Eagle and is traveld to 180mm
    The fork has the 2019 debon air upgrade.

The whole suspension works so well.
    It's using around 0 to 140mm travel really fast, but never bottom out on big jumps.
    You can tank through gnarly terrain stupidly fast.
    And the 15,5 kg feels just right for park riding. So much more control compared to my 12,5 kg Jeffsy.

The rear suspension works so well without the stupid 5mm plastic spacer that are reducing the travel from 180mm to 170mm.
    If you guys have the 170mm version, get those spacer out.
    Without them your shock can go over the 70mm mark on the damper.
    It will be a 250x75mm than.
    I made the right choice.

Ride on everyone!
    Ohhh someone that removed the travel spacer on the super deluxe ! How did you do it ? I received the 180 debonair for the fork, but I've no idea how to remove the limiter on the shock...

Tested my Capra in a park yesterday, insane bike, so plush, so stable, and the CF version is pretty light (in the 14-14.5kg with pedals).

mtbr member
    Ohhh someone that removed the travel spacer on the super deluxe ! How did you do it ? I received the 180 debonair for the fork, but I've no idea how to remove the limiter on the shock...

Tested my Capra in a park yesterday, insane bike, so plush, so stable, and the CF version is pretty light (in the 14-14.5kg with pedals).
    I did not do that myself, but here are some pics.
    Canyon Torque 2018-1.jpg
    Canyon Torque 2018-2.jpgCanyon Torque 2018-3.jpgCanyon Torque 2018-4.jpgCanyon Torque 2018-5.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I did not do that myself, but here are some pics.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	1211111

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	1211107Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	1211108Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	1211109Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	1004 
Size:	153.6 KB 
ID:	1211110
    Nice, that's exactly what I was searching for. Do you know how the person that removed it did it ? By cutting it or disassembling the shock entirely ? Tough or soft plastic ?

Very nice mudguard btw

mtbr member
    Nice, that's exactly what I was searching for. Do you know how the person that removed it did it ? By cutting it or disassembling the shock entirely ? Tough or soft plastic ?
    You have to disassemble it and than just put it together without those spacers.
    The plastic seems hard.
    But I think you could also simply cut it out carefully.
    Would be easier that way.
    Canyon Torque 2018-6.jpgCanyon Torque 2018-7.jpg

Very nice mudguard btw
    No just no, I have now better ones in black 'n blue

mtbr member
    May 2018
    You have to disassemble it and than just put it together without those spacers.
    The plastic seems hard.
    But I think you could also simply cut it out carefully.
    Would be easier that way.

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	1211124Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	1211125

No just no, I have now better ones in black 'n blue
    Yeah I'm gonna try to cut it carefully, I have to be sure of myself tho... We'll see.

Thanks for the infos, impossible to find anything about that travel spacer elsewhere.

Pleased with the 180 debonair on the fork ? Gonna put it in this weekend, so disappointed with the 2018 Lyrik, so far from the ride quality of the rear end...

mtbr member
    Yeah I'm gonna try to cut it carefully, I have to be sure of myself tho... We'll see.

Thanks for the infos, impossible to find anything about that travel spacer elsewhere.

Pleased with the 180 debonair on the fork ? Gonna put it in this weekend, so disappointed with the 2018 Lyrik, so far from the ride quality of the rear end...
    The 2019er debon air udgrade feels good so far.
    The Lyric is way better than my super expensive Fox 34 on the Jeffsy CF Pro.

I can't bring the Fox to use more travel efficiently , it just feels so tense and stiff.
    I uses at best 120mm travel of the 150mm even on big jumps and I made it already soft on purpose.

The Lyric uses really fast up to 140mm of travel and on jumps up to 160mm but dosen't bump out in big jumps.

When I shred really fast through gnarly terrain it feels so smooth on the Capra, while pretty shaky on the Jeffsy.

But I think it depends on the riders weight.
    The Fox seems more good for heavy riders.
    With my 82kg in full gear, Rockshocks just feels better.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Hey Torque owners,

I'm just about to hit the go button on an AL 7.0 mainly for park duties and the occasional long but gnarly trail ride - it looks just about perfect. A quick question for long term users - what niggles have appeared? Any unexpected mechanical issues etc? i.e. is there anything you'd have liked to have known before purchasing?

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by radiusq View Post
    Hey Torque owners,

I'm just about to hit the go button on an AL 7.0 mainly for park duties and the occasional long but gnarly trail ride - it looks just about perfect. A quick question for long term users - what niggles have appeared? Any unexpected mechanical issues etc? i.e. is there anything you'd have liked to have known before purchasing?

Cheers.
    On the german forum there were a few guys who had problems with the bushings on the rear suspension.
    Looks like they don't last long and are undersized for a 180mm freerider.
    Around 2 weeks or so.

The rear wheel axle getting lose is also a thing.

Also, do absolutely check all torque specs on the pivots of the rear suspension befor your first ride.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    May 2007
    That's not good - do you have a link to the German thread?

mtbr member
    That's not good - do you have a link to the German thread?
    The thread is here
    https://www.mtb-news.de/forum/t/cany...#post-15467889

Back than there was someone with a brand new Torque who had a crash.
    And I think he had the same problem.
    He had this crash because of that, not after.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BjiiVTGnZmw/

But, seriously. I think that all those pivot bushings and bearings are really undersized for a 180mm travel freerider.

When I look at my YT Carpra it is quite the opposite. Super beefy and stiff.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    That's not good, but I ordered anyway My B and C choices aren't available until next year in New Zealand - and the Torque has the geo and suspension characteristics that I've been seeking in a bike for at least the last 5years.

Hopefully, it delivers and those breakages are one offs and not a design issue!

It should be with me before the end of this month apparently - which is earlier than the time stated on the website - which was 23rd October initially.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Hi

I bought a new torque cf 9.0 a couple of months ago and hit Canyon up about the video. This was their reply;

Thank you for your email.

We have taken a quick look at the video and this is completely normal, this is designed like this so the yolk will move to not side load the shock. Side loading the shock will be an expensive fix over-time.

If we can be of any further assistance, please let us know.

Kind regards,
    Service Team Canyon

That makes sense to me, I've given mine a pretty good thrashing now an all bushings seem sweet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory Julius View Post
    Hi

I bought a new torque cf 9.0 a couple of months ago and hit Canyon up about the video. This was their reply;

Thank you for your email.

We have taken a quick look at the video and this is completely normal, this is designed like this so the yolk will move to not side load the shock. Side loading the shock will be an expensive fix over-time.

If we can be of any further assistance, please let us know.

Kind regards,
    Service Team Canyon

That makes sense to me, I've given mine a pretty good thrashing now an all bushings seem sweet.
    I have never seen a full sus, no matter how old and from which brand where you could move the pivots apart like this with just the hands.
    My Capra is rock solid. Not a chance to move the pivots sideways even a tiny bit, yet the shock doesen't suffer from side loads.
    Have fun with your Torque, but don't expect much out of canyon statements.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    It does seem like a bit of a strange design. Does it make any noise out on the trail?

BTW - how are you enjoying the bike as a whole? I'll hopefully have my AL 7.0 in a few weeks

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thinking of getting a Torque as a stable mate to my 18 Spectral. I had a '18 27.5 Capra and wasn't liking it so sold it off. Looking for some more feedback on the Torque...if it rides as good as the Spectral then I am sold....just need the extra ability to handle the bigger stuff that the Spectral doesn't like.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by meSSican View Post
    Thinking of getting a Torque as a stable mate to my 18 Spectral. I had a '18 27.5 Capra and wasn't liking it so sold it off. Looking for some more feedback on the Torque...if it rides as good as the Spectral then I am sold....just need the extra ability to handle the bigger stuff that the Spectral doesn't like.
    I have Spectral '18 and Torque '18 combo. I have to say, that I am loving it! These two bikes are different enough to have both of them, but similar enough that you can forget which one you ride. I have Spectral as my "main" bike for local trails, Torque for bike parks and for harder trails or bigger descends and for the rides with my girlfriend - I am fortunate enough as both of use fit on same size (OK, she is a beginner and doesn't know that for her the Spectral is on the bigger side... ). At first I was a bit sceptical about my decision because I got Spectral in late January and was my only bike til late April when I got Torque. Spectral seems such a capable bike but the Torque gives you "invincible" feeling - you can throw any thing in front of it and it can go trough. Yes, it is not as manoeuvrable as Spectral, that's why they are such a good combo.

PS: Both of my bikes are in the same size and model (AL 6.0).

mtbr member
    May 2007
    My AL 7.0 arrived yesterday It was ordered on the 23rd August. The original delivery date was the 29th of November. So that's over 4 weeks early!

Here's a mini pre-ride review of the build experience which might be useful for potential buyers -

Everything arrived well packaged and blemish free. The cable lengths were close apart from the rear brake which is has about 5-6inches of unecessasry slack. Grrr - I can't be bothered bleeding now though, so I'll wait for brakes to require bleeding before trimming it down. Life is too short to spend it bleeding brakes. Not having the bleed kit is partly to blame here too. It should have been included IMO.

The placement of the controls on the bar were ridiculously off, and most of the cables were heavily twisted and needed some untangling, so I had to disconnect all the controls from the bars anyway. I accept that the positions on the bar are user preference, but it shouldn't be too difficult to set them up with a sensible starting point.

The G5 branded headset and bar look OK, but certainly don't have a premium finish. I like the wide clamp on the stubby stem, and there's enough headset spacers there to play around with the stack height a little. Grips are OK, but I will be replacing with my trusty ODI Rogues. Dual clamp FTW.

The derailleur hanger is an unusual design, and it took me a while to figure out how it was suppose to attach to the frame. The manual was of no use being very generic. Other than that, everything was straightforward. All bolts appear to be torqued correctly, and wheels are true and appear to be well tensioned. Hub is nice and quiet. I have grown sick of the sound of Hope Pro2 hubs.

I took the opportunity to install cushcore on the rear wheel. It really wasn't that difficult. I almost completed with hands alone. Pleasingly, the DH tube I removed was 310g, 50g more than the cushcore, so once I add a little Stans, it'll be close to even in terms of weight.

The included torque wrench is cheap and cheerful, but works. The shock pump looks OK too, but it's now my fourth

I would have liked to have seen a brake bleed kit in the box along with spare fork and shock spacers. This bike is clearly aimed for the enthusiast market, so it should be made easy to tweak.

I was disappointed to find that both fork and shock are cut down OEM models on my Large AL7.0 -

Shock 4digit code - DH9X
    2019 Performance Series FLOAT X2
    2019, FLOAT X2, P-S, A, 2pos-Adj, Canyon, M68 - Torque, 250, 70, 0.3 Spacer x4, CM, Stealth, Gray Logo

Fork 4digit code - DCDT
    2018 Performance Elite Series 36 FLOAT 27.5 180 FIT4 3POS ADJ
    2018, 36, A, FLOAT, 27.5in, P-SE, 180, 3Pos-Adj, FIT4, Matte Blk, Stealth Logo, 15QRx110, 1.5 T, 44mm Rake, OE

The fork is QR15 110 without being pinch bolted at the lowers! I had always assumed all Fox 36 forks were pinch bolted. These aren't! Coming from my trusty VAN36s, this is not a good development. Realistically, I doubt I'll notice the difference, but with 180mm forks though, I can't help but be disappointed by the lack of pinch bolts. I didn't know that this style of axle connection even existed in the world of Fox 36 forks.

The custom X2 shock is missing HSC and HSR adjustments. This shouldn't really be an issue as long as the tune is good and it is at least specific to the Canyon Torque. Again, I didn't know a cut down version of the X2 Float even existed.

The yoke is indeed a floating design. I don't think this is going to be an issue. Immediately below it is huge and bulky rocker. I guess it's a design compromise. If you want a low frame and long shock stroke, then a yoke is the only way to go.

Everything else looks super burly. I don't like the white accent, but elsewhere the finish is suitably stealthy.

The Lev Si dropper post seems to work well and is much faster than my highline. The lever feels good too.

So overall, my first impressions are good. The only thing that I haven't liked is the lack of pinch bolts on the forks. Everything else is minor niggles.

I'm tempted to take a sicky tomorrow

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I noticed the front rim wasn't holding air - on inspection it looks like the rim seam has holes - Grrr - https://photos.app.goo.gl/UqF9wFrbr8EyHuGm6

I've emailed Canyon australian support. No response as yet. This looks like a manufacturing issue to me. I'm not even sure this would be resolvable using sealant. I've never come across this before in 10+ years of running tubeless.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Can anyone tell me what size rear shock is on this bike? Goggle did nothing for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hobdog View Post
    Can anyone tell me what size rear shock is on this bike? Goggle did nothing for me.
    The size is 250x70, but you can also use 250x75

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yes - it's 250x70. The odd thing is that shaft length I measure at close to 76mm - yet without any air in the can, you'll never use the last 6mm of shaft. This can also be confirmed by entering shock's 4digit code here https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike

...which gives -

Shock 4digit code - DH9X
    2019 Performance Series FLOAT X2
    2019, FLOAT X2, P-S, A, 2pos-Adj, Canyon, M68 - Torque, 250, 70, 0.3 Spacer x4, CM, Stealth, Gray Logo

So, 70 is the travel. Which means 21mm for 30% sage and not 23mm.

I have found +10PSI over my bodyweight in PSI seems to work - which gives me 20mm - which feels great everywhere, although I'm getting a couple of bottom outs on big stuff, so I think I may need an additional volume spacer to finalize the shock set up.

mtbr member
    Yes - it's 250x70. The odd thing is that shaft length I measure at close to 76mm - yet without any air in the can, you'll never use the last 6mm of shaft. This can also be confirmed by entering shock's 4digit code here
    Because there is a 5mm travel reducing spacer inside the shock.
    Rock Shox is using a plastic spacer and Fox a metall spacer.
    Of course both denying that which is just BS.
    They want use to buy new.
    The 75mm and 70mm are the same shock.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    So is removing the spacer a 'thing'? I'm sure doing this on the Torque it would have the bottom bracket sitting on the floor almost.

mtbr member
    So is removing the spacer a 'thing'? I'm sure doing this on the Torque it would have the bottom bracket sitting on the floor almost.
    You don't change the geometry with that.
    The shock size is still 250mm.
    You will just have a lil bit more rear travel, like 10mm or so.
    I doubt that's enough to bottom out the BB.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Trust me - the bottom bracket on the Torque feels very very low as it is. It's my only negative comment on the bike. I'm really having to learn to stay off the pedals coming out of corners. I'm sure it will be second nature soon, but I've had a couple of real close ones due to fast pedal strikes.

I will be leaving that spacer in

mtbr member
    Well it's a modern Freeride bike.
    My Capra is the same.
    I can't count anymore how many time the bashguard saved my chainring.
    You will get used to it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    The size is 250x70, but you can also use 250x75
    Thank you

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have my eye on Torque as well (i like the spec much more than Capra). But that messed up frames from the german thread have me leaning away from it.. Does it say anywhere is torque is dual crown approved?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    5 park rides in. My summary is -

It's a very very capable bike. It rides like a trail bike to me, but continues to be well behaved even when things get out of hand.

It's hard to get the front wheel to tuck. I haven't been able to. It feels super stable. Like way more stable than any bike I've previously ridden. Modern geometry in action I guess.

It's harder than any other bike I've ridden to wheelie and manual. It's the longest bike I've owned, and despite the uber short chainstays, the balance point is just way further back than I'm used to. I figure this is the reason the front end stays planted on the climbs. Maybe it's something I'll just get used to.

Surprisingly, it climbs as well as my 2014 26inch Trek Fuel EX. Maybe the weight will be an issue on bigger climbs. I haven't really done much climbing on it thus far though to really be able to judge on this point, but it certainly doesn't feel weird in this respect.

I can pop j-hops in and out of berms with ease. It still feels playful for such a big bike. Braaap!

It feels predictable off of big tables, and feels super stable in the air. The large-ish reach means it's easy to stay neutral off of jumps. I've not had any scary moments off of jumps yet.

So already 5-6 rides in I'm doing stuff I've not been able to do on a bike before - I've already hit a largish gap that I had previously avoided for the last 10 years. Woot!

I've now started to push the bike a bit, and have found myself bottoming out quite a lot. Everything else feels good suspension wise, so figure it's time for installing some volume spacers - which I've just ordered.

Anyway, to summarize. It's the best bike I've owned for riding downhill, and maybe best all rounder too - I just haven't ridden it up hill much yet. Chairlifts FTW!

Previous bikes from comparison are Marin Mt Vision Pro, Giant Trance 2006, 2009 Titus El Guapo - 26inch coil front/rear, 2014 Trek Fuel EX - 26inch 150mm Fox34 on front. I was expecting the Torque to feel closest to the Titus - which has a mini-DH feeling, but it actually feels more like a near bottomless Fuel EX IMO.

I'd probably rate myself as an upper intermediate rider, and definitely this bike is better bike than I am rider. I'm looking forward to nudging my skills upwards with this bike - which to me is the most fun part of riding. That is being able to ride stuff that I haven't previously been able to do.
    Last edited by radiusq; 10-18-2018 at 03:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Hey @radiusq any chance you're in Chch? Looking at same model as you, would love to see I've in the flesh.

Jordo
    Dec 2018
    Has anyone tried putting a coil into the al canyon torque? Canít seem to find any dhx2 with 250x70 online? I know dvo and ÷hlins make a 250x70 shock but would prefer fox and not sure of there would be enough clearance for them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Hi, got a torque 2018 for about 6 months. Got all frame's bearings dead.
    The one's greased with a white grease are sized. The others greased with blueish grease are ok.
    They are quiet exposed to mud and water. I will clean and relub them every 3 months now.

Also rs lyrik was a bit stiff. Did the debonair mod with new air piston and proper grease lub on wipers, far different and 15 psi more for same sag.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Hi,

does anyone know the seat clamp diamater? I want to change to a quick release on mine. Canyon has no info on their website.

Thanks