Canyon spectral cf 8.0 or cf 9.0 pro- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Canyon spectral cf 8.0 or cf 9.0 pro

Bronsons 18's run out, 19's model would only arrive to me in December, I need a birthday present asap, so help me decide please.
    From what I can see, the 9.0 pro has 34 chainring instead of 32 and 2.4 wheels instead of 2.6.

I'll also go for the XL being 90cm (2.952") inseam and 187cm (6.135") height.

Comparison picture below for your convenience, thanks in advance for any input!

Canyon spectral cf 8.0 or cf 9.0 pro-compare.jpg

mtbr member
    First I'd recommend figuring out if you ever want to run Maxxis tires at 2.5 or 2.6, or if 2.4 is wide enough. While you could run the wider tires on the 25mm internal width rims that come with the 9 pro, Maxxis designed them for 30-35mm internal width (and the cf 8 has 30 mm rims).

The 3 position lockout that appears to come on the euro model of the 9 pro can be nice for the rear shock (and front to a lesser degree) if you like to use "trail mode" for climbs and such.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by b rock View Post
    First I'd recommend figuring out if you ever want to run Maxxis tires at 2.5 or 2.6, or if 2.4 is wide enough. While you could run the wider tires on the 25mm internal width rims that come with the 9 pro, Maxxis designed them for 30-35mm internal width (and the cf 8 has 30 mm rims).

The 3 position lockout that appears to come on the euro model of the 9 pro can be nice for the rear shock (and front to a lesser degree) if you like to use "trail mode" for climbs and such.
    Is it a remote lockout?

What tyres would you prefer yourself? How much heavier are 2.6s?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    What are you paying 1000 extra? Essentially for the better drivetrain?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paran01ac View Post
    Is it a remote lockout?

What tyres would you prefer yourself? How much heavier are 2.6s?
    You have to buy the remote lockout separately if you want it, at least for the US model. Personally, I don't miss the remote, but I would consider one if it could do simultaneous front/back 3 way setting. AFAIK, the Rock Shox remote just does 2 way setting even if the shock has 3 way (no trail on the remote), and I am not sure if there is a way to hook one remote up to the front and back shocks at the same time as on other bikes (Scott Genius).

I test rode a 9 pro, but didn't put enough time on it to say if I prefer that tire width. I really depends on your terrain and riding style. My style and terrain puts a priority on traction over all out speed. I don't race, and I ride loose over hardpack dirt a lot, where loosing traction can often mean rolling down a hill into bad things. So, I went with 2.6 for now. My last bike was old, and had 26x2 tires, which I don't miss. My experience with other tire sizes are just from demo days.

I glossed over the gx eagle vs xo1 eagle. Some people think the gx eagle derailleur might be less reliable, but I haven't seen solid evidence. There may be more gx eagle derailleurs out there to complain about on the internet, etc.

As far as the money, you'd have to price out the different components given European prices. I would guess that the derailleur and maybe wheels would be the biggest difference, and then you add in little bits for all the other little upgrades (which is harder to calculate for the shocks, since they are upgrades from OEM parts) but I don't know.

I think it is pretty cool that you can swap in a higher engagement ratchet in the DT swiss rear hub for technical climbing, but haven't bothered myself.

mtbr member
    I was in the same boat and went with the CF 8.0 instead. I'm in the USA and our spec sheet looks a little different. The USA 8.0 has the Pike RCT3 instead of the Pike RC listed for you.

Why I went with the 8.0 over the 9.0 Pro:

30mm rims seem more flexible since I'd be able to properly fit a 2.4" tire if I wanted, whereas the 25mm wouldn't be ideal for a 2.6" tire.

From what I've seen and read about the GX, shifting performance seems to be the same, just a little heavier, I could live with the extra weight considering the huge cost savings.

The 9.0 Carbon crank sounds cool, but I know I'm gonna smash mine at some point, and again, not racing so the lighter weight wasn't really a concern, seeing as how the 8.0 is listed only 0.2 KG heavier.

I know on the spec sheet, it says the 8.0's rear shock is the RT, but mine and several others in the Spectral owners thread have noted that they actually shipped with the RT3.

Only thing I'd really want from the 9.0 is the Guide RS. My Guide R has been working fine with enough power for for my needs, but I'd like to try the RS with the swing link.
    2018 Canyon Spectral CF 8.0
    2018 Giant Stance 2

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by b rock View Post
    As far as the money, you'd have to price out the different components given European prices. I would guess that the derailleur and maybe wheels would be the biggest difference, and then you add in little bits for all the other little upgrades (which is harder to calculate for the shocks, since they are upgrades from OEM parts) but I don't know.

I think it is pretty cool that you can swap in a higher engagement ratchet in the DT swiss rear hub for technical climbing, but haven't bothered myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZEEOH6 View Post

Only thing I'd really want from the 9.0 is the Guide RS. My Guide R has been working fine with enough power for for my needs, but I'd like to try the RS with the swing link.
    Thank you so much, guys! I'll go for the CF 8.0