Canyon Frame Quality?- Mtbr.com
    Ride lots...

Canyon Frame Quality?

Is it worth buying a lower end Canyon to get on a FS bike ASAP or is it better to save up a few more months and get something else?

I was in a local bike shop today that (supposedly) sells high end bikes -- even though they only had a couple of higher end bikes in stock, they are a Pivot, Santa Cruz, Ibis and Evil dealer.

I (respectfully) mentioned the lack of inventory and a couple of the shop employees and myself started talking about the industry and sales. I asked if direct to consumer bikes were hurting them and they said a little.

The manager then proceeded to say that bikes like Canyon are just cheap, low quality framesets dressed up with nice components, but they are essentially "Motobecane quality frames with 1990s era Horst link suspension".

I don't own one but I feel like this is an absurd statement.

My backstory:

I've been a MTBer since 2004, owned a lot of top end bikes, lots of experience, etc. I wrecked my back in early 2013 in an ATV accident and ended up taking nearly 6 years off. I got a hardtail a few months ago to get back into it and am loving it again. I want a full suspension bike and my back desperately needs one.

I'm saving up for a full suspension bike and want one ASAP. I will have about $3k saved up by November and was thinking of getting a Neuron or Spectral if they're available. If I wait a few more months though, I would be able to afford something in the $5k range.

I would appreciate thoughts and opinions.
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    The frames are as good as anyone's-and likely made in the same few factories in Asia--they are a very big brand in the EU----I would avoid this LBS if the manager sells by bad mouthing-----really there are no bad bikes these days at your price----the key is finding one that fits and is designed for where you ride.

mtbr member

Canyon Frame Quality?

No wonder the LBS is upset about Canyon....as they are definitely good quality bikes but outside the LBS environment....

Canyon is a big name since years. Look how many riders and Pros are using them. In road cycling, Movistar (Landa, Quintana, Carapaz (just won the Giro díItalia), women Pro team Canyon, world champion M. van der Poel etc...

One of the best value for the money in the market.
    You canít do anything wrong buying a Canyon.

Except the brand is not bling enough for you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dsully575 View Post
    frames with 1990s era Horst link suspension".
    Just like the current Specialized bikes..........
    I Pity The Fool That Can't Ride A Bike Without A Dropper!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Canyon Frame Quality?

Canyon frame quality is superb! I used to build my own bikes and have had mountainbikes (DH and trail) from Kona, santa Cruz, Intense, Morewood, Banshee and others....
    I bought my first Canyon in 2014, and since Iíve replaced all my bikes with Canyon bikes (Now have a Spectral, new version Lux and a Ultimate and my wife has a Spectral).
    You may find some nicer finishing or small details that are better made on boutique bikes, but the difference in price no longer justifies a Santa Cruz over a Canyon (for me at least..). For what you pay for a boutique bike frame, you get a well equipped complete Canyon...
    Canyon also has gathered a lot of axperience from racing. A couple of World Tour teams are on Canyon (with plenty of victories in grand tours, one day classics and more), they have teams doing well in Enduro World series and Down Hill world cup (victories and podiums), and WC victories in XC and cyclocross... Canyon knows what they are doing!
    So, no. They are not just cheap frames with nice parts...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by howard78; 06-09-2019 at 04:17 AM.

mtbr member
    If I was a bike shop that didn't sell Canyon bikes...I'd say the same thing in hopes
    you would buy one of my bikes. The guy is obviously an idiot.
    2018 Spectral AL