Anybody heard of "Canyon Bikes"?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Anybody heard of "Canyon Bikes"?

I know they're sold in Europe...but has anyone seen them listed by a U.S, seller?
    Canyon | Mountainbikes | Yellowstone AL 29
    They say they don't ship here, but does any supplier carry them? (a partner seller)
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Sonya Looney rides a Canyon. Being a European I say buy European. I am not sure but I would assume those frames are made in Asia.
    “You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.”

Wolf nipple chips
    It isn't mtb-related, but I believe Cadel Evens and his Silence-Lotta team rode them in the Tour for a few years. So they must be something to 'em... blahblahblah asian made whatever

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have a Canyon AL 29er and absolutely love it. Lots of value for the buck(euro) and very well thought design and geometry.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Check out the pro teams cany think which one but the appear yearly in TTDF.try google for whatmountainbike.co.uk search for ......and mtbr.co.uk both have done reviews any they come out very well indeed. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Since I have all my components I would like to go for a CF SLX 29 frame. Compliance and strong climbing from very current geo for a carbon HT. The current price is just 300E less than a complete.
    More than a new Scott 910 frame for me from LBS. It's new(Dec) so the price isn't reflecting the direct sale value yet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    The team Topeak-Ergon riders have used them for the past couple years. If I recall correctly, there is a relationship between the owner of Ergon and the owner of Canyon... or something like that. To my knowledge there is still no way to get them in the US of A.
    "I have one speed. I have one gear: Go." -- Charlie Sheen

mtbr member
    Canyon doesn't really seem to interested in selling to the US market. I emailed them once about buying a road bike and was told they will not be selling in the US anytime soon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    They're very popular here in Europe, especially in the UK and Germany, I think.

Their bikes seem a little bit boring, there doesn't seem to be much innovation in the frame geometry department. Their bikes are always very similar to what's already on the market. I would rather have a low specced Yeti or Santa Cruz, than a high specced Canyon.

I will always prefer buying from a local bicycle shop, but I might consider buying a Canyon at some point.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I agree with dokan. They have a great reputation here in Switzerland as an online bike supplier in terms of Price/Quality. But that price savings is not needed when shopping stateside because the prices are cheaper in the US for bikes accross the board. So go with Trek, Giant, Niner, Specialized and all the other stuff you have available in the states and you won't fall short of having a great bike.

There are also some great German producers like Ghost, Focus, Cube, Stevens, Lapierre that make great bikes but also play "follow the leader" with tech. (Maybe Focus is a notch above the others)

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr View Post
    I know they're sold in Europe...but has anyone seen them listed by a U.S, seller?
    Canyon | Mountainbikes | Yellowstone AL 29
    They say they don't ship here, but does any supplier carry them? (a partner seller)
    Correct, they are a consumer direct only brand. Currently, they are not shipping to the USA or do they have partner seller as rumored in the past. They do have plans for a USA entry, but there is no timeline in place currently. It's a big task to launch the brand in the USA: man power, warehouse, USA safety laws, patent laws, setting up headquarters, etc, etc.

Canyon is current bike sponsor of Team Topeak-Ergon. Yes, the owner of Canyon and the owner of Ergon are brothers. Both brands based out of Koblenz, Germany.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by osorio View Post
    I agree with dokan. They have a great reputation here in Switzerland as an online bike supplier in terms of Price/Quality. But that price savings is not needed when shopping stateside because the prices are cheaper in the US for bikes accross the board. So go with Trek, Giant, Niner, Specialized and all the other stuff you have available in the states and you won't fall short of having a great bike.

There are also some great German producers like Ghost, Focus, Cube, Stevens, Lapierre that make great bikes but also play "follow the leader" with tech. (Maybe Focus is a notch above the others)
    I guess "rose" is a german producer aswell? They are very similar to canyon in terms of quality/spec/price, selling directly via internet.

Radon is another cheap and very good brand that use the same method, they are very popular here i Sweden

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Rose is not a bike brand per se. Rose is a bike shop/online retailer who developed their own line of bikes a few years ago. As far as I know the same goes for Radon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The design effort they have put into the Grand Canyon 29 AL and carbon fiber bikes is as good to better than any other product currently offered. Nothing boring about these bikes. Compliance and very current geo. The $2k CF SLX 29 8.9 would sellout in the US.
    The AL 29 7.9 would easily be a top recommendation also.

Trail Junkie
    I think it will only be a matter of time before Canyon makes it's way across the pond to the US market. They have already did a good job of making their way into the race scene, and the prices and workmanship is there.
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Santa Cruz Chameleon SS
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc (Gravel)
    GT Piece Tour (Gravel)

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    They do not sell to the USA, Canada, Australia, or n.z. I however in the USA have figured out how to order one. Its not the cheapest way to get a bike, but it can be done without flying. Pm me if you want to know how, serious please only.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Mine should land 1st week in August, my size was out of stock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dokhan View Post
    They're very popular here in Europe, especially in the UK and Germany, I think.

Their bikes seem a little bit boring, there doesn't seem to be much innovation in the frame geometry department. Their bikes are always very similar to what's already on the market. I would rather have a low specced Yeti or Santa Cruz, than a high specced Canyon.

I will always prefer buying from a local bicycle shop, but I might consider buying a Canyon at some point.
    I would say that canyon bikes are very innovative, the canyon strive with the adjustable geo thing, and their TT bike is off the hook.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by thisguyalex View Post
    They do not sell to the USA, Canada, Australia, or n.z. I however in the USA have figured out how to order one. Its not the cheapest way to get a bike, but it can be done without flying. Pm me if you want to know how, serious please only.
    Part of their appeal is the value you get for the money. Once you increase the cost that makes other bikes with local support more viable.

Say a Grand Canyon CF SL 6.9 for 1800 Euros or $1980 dollars. If that price includes VAT then it's about $1600 for a bike that is spec'ed like a Trek Superfly 9.7 at about $2500 negotiated with tax.
    Even if that price is without VAT the savings is good until you add $3-400 shipping.

Trail Ninja
    Whoever Canyon hired to design/engineer their bikes these past 3 years or so deserves some props. They didn't pick bad brands to copy, if they are playing follow the leader, with Liteville-esque dropouts, Mondraker-like top tube, and "fullers" on the side of the top and downtube making them look pretty sharp.

transmitter~receiver
    They've been around a long time. Started and maybe still are direct sales, which is why you don't see them in shops.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Canyon seems to gain ground as years go by.
    They got some serious value-for-money bikes that actually perform very well.

Trail Ninja
    '12 and earlier FS models looked a lot they copied Focus (their Liteville MK 601 copy, the Torque hasn't changed much since), with round and straight tubes. With the intro of their carbon bikes like the Grand Canyon CF and Nerve CF ('13), things started to look top-class, even with their alloy models getting more advanced tube shaping. This is an old thread and it's interesting to see how people felt about Canyon in Jan '13, and how they started gaining attention from those not in Europe. Now, Canyon seems to be the most popular brand there.

The Strive's shapeshifter reminds me of the Kona Magic Link and this: None at Interbike 2012 in Las Vegas, Nevada, United States - photo by brule - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Just ordered the Spectral CF 9.0 EX.. cant wait for it to turn up. I think their bikes look amazing and when comparing to similar spec bikes in Oz.. the price advantage is very significant..

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I think the Strive is interesting for shape shifter. thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I thought about the strive as well.. not sure i need the extra travel... plus i hear that some people have been having trouble with the shape shifter...

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickK View Post
    Sonya Looney rides a Canyon. Being a European I say buy European. I am not sure but I would assume those frames are made in Asia.
    She rides for Scott now...
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

Members who have read this thread: 0