2019 Strives are here- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2016

2019 Strives are here

They are on both the European and American websites, but it seems they are not yet available for purchase in the USA. The biggest difference is 29” wheels, with a bit less travel, and the geometry changed accordingly. The shapeshifter is still there.

It looks like the numbering and pricing got a bit rearranged. $4000 used to get the Strive CF 7, but now gets a CF 6. The current CF 6 has the same brakes and drivetrain as the previous CF 7, and fairly similar shocks, but a slightly inferior wheelset. They are using Canyon’s house brand instead of Raceface for the bars and stem, and instead of the Reverb for the dropper (which should make some people very happy).

Lackey

2019 Strive info

Here's the Strive overview with details on the three models that will be available in the US next month: https://reviews.mtbr.com/canyon-strive-29-launched

First impressions of the Strive CFR 9.0 Team: https://reviews.mtbr.com/canyon-stri...st-ride-review

An in-depth look at Shapeshifter 2.0:https://reviews.mtbr.com/canyon-shap...-2-0-explained

shredthögnar
    long travel trail bike

quite disappointing geometry

could've been

64>65,5° and 76>77,5° instead something silly like 73,5 SA

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I like the the thought of the rockshox lyric + Deluxe combination , but disappointing ( for me ) its only available on the one bike , and its quite expensive

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    So who's excited about this new bike!

mtbr member
    Some of the boilerplate writeups say it's a Horst-Link bike... is it really?
    Last edited by cheezwhip; 01-23-2019 at 06:31 PM.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Finer than frog hair!" - Lumberjack

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Going to be interesting to see how many they sell ,

If forums are anything to go by , people dont seem too excited by it

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Also,

165 mm cranks??
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Has anyone brought or ridden this bike ? love to hear some genuine feedback

mtbr member
    I've had the Strive CF 8.0 for about a month. Full disclosure, Canyon sent me this bike to ride and photograph since the company I own (Chasing Epic) will be partnering with them later this year. That said, I primarily work with Ibis and have no reason to be biased about any feedback I provide on bikes since it's not how our company makes money. A little background to give you some perspective on where I'm coming from: I prefer more trail-oriented bikes for my type of riding. Last year, I rode 75% of the time on a Spot Mayhem 29er, set up with 140mm up front and 130mm in the rear. I like my bikes to be more playful than rowdy; a 66-67* HTA is ideal in my mind.

So far, I've been able to ride the Strive in St. George/Hurricane, Fruita, and Eagle, CO for about 10 days total. I've been pleasantly surprised with the bike and really enjoy riding it. The ShapeShifter 2.0 works very well (where the "surprised" comes in) and gives you options for your riding.

In the trail mode- "Click", I believe- the bike is quick handling and climbs quite well. When I rode Gooseberry and Guacamole Mesa in Hurricane, I left the bike in this mode the whole time and wasn't disappointed; there's a noticeable difference in handling. In trail mode, I think it climbs just as well as the Ripmo that I also ride. The one thing I do notice a little bit is the weight, as it's 1-2 lbs heavier. But that's minor.

When flipped over to "clack" (slack) mode, the bike rips downhill. It's a big, plush bike that seems to absorb most everything you can throw at it. "Clack" is a noticeable difference in geometry as it's perfect for the descents, but I personally would never leave it in that mode for a full ride as it definitely makes the bike sluggish on climbs and flats. I've been fairly limited in getting it on any big descents due to the snow here in Colorado, but I'm looking forward to 4-5 mile long downhills on this bike to see what it can really do.

One other thing worth noting- living in Colorado, I like to be as efficient as possible on the climbs since we do a lot of it out here. I utilize the climb switch on the rear shock on virtually every bike I ride. With the Strive, I've left the rear shock open a few times and I'm blown away by how efficient the rear end is; color me impressed. That said, the placement of the switch is a real PITA, as the shock is upside down and so it's nearly impossible to reach while you're riding.

One other thing worth noting that's quite obvious: the spec of these bikes. It's ridiculous what you get for the money. The bike is currently listed for sub-$5k on their website, and for that you get carbon wheels, Code brakes, full X01, Elite-level suspension, and lots of other amazingly nice touches. I hate to say it, but the spec blows away the GX-level Ibis bikes I purchase with Chasing Epic.

In a couple of months, I plan on doing a full shootout-style writeup on the Ripmo vs. the Strive once I get more time on both.

2019 Strives are here-canyon-12.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Great write up smmokan. Looking at the Strive as a possible replacement for my Trek Fuel EX. Look forward to the shoot out with the Ripmo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Hey guys,
    do you have an idea if it is possible to put an -1° angle set on the Strive?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sorry for the delay, but for those interested.... here are my thoughts on the Strive vs the Ripmo.

https://crankjoy.com/long-travel-29e...vs-ibis-ripmo/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Sorry for the delay, but for those interested.... here are my thoughts on the Strive vs the Ripmo.

https://crankjoy.com/long-travel-29e...vs-ibis-ripmo/
    Thanks for the review and comparison - very well thought out and put together.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Finer than frog hair!" - Lumberjack

mtbr member
    $800 off the Strive... damn that's a killer deal for a great bike.

mtbr member
    Is there any feedback with the shapeshifter reliability? Anyone heard of failures? Maintenance requirements?

mtbr member
    I've been riding mine since late March with no problems at all. The plastic cover popped up when I was hauling a$$ through a rock garden, but it clicked right back into place.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I've been riding mine since late March with no problems at all. The plastic cover popped up when I was hauling a$$ through a rock garden, but it clicked right back into place.
    Thanks smmokan. It will be interesting to see how they hold up in your fleet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcatnau View Post
    Thanks smmokan. It will be interesting to see how they hold up in your fleet.
    I don't have them as demos, I only have a single Strive for personal use. But I ride the sh*t out of it, for whatever that's worth.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Thanks for the useful write-ups. The Strive CF 6.0 is on my shortlist to update from a 2014 Trance 27.5 to tackle more grade 4+ and 5 tracks, and even have a crack at some of the 6's. Here we tend to spend 10 times as long climbing as descending so ShapeShifter is very appealing. I have a couple of questions for the peanut gallery, if I may?

How is the weight? On paper they are heavy bikes, but most reviewers don't consider this much of a problem, given they pedal and handle very well. Almost every current enduro and trail bike has better pedaling ergos than my 5 year old Trance.

Any 27.5 fans miss the smaller wheels? Historically I like smaller wheels and a livelier feel. The few short rides I've had on (older) 29ers didn't impress (partly also due to light frames and big heavy wheels). I also have a Trek X-Caliber 29er hardtail as a commuter and gravel bike. I ride it on grade 3 & 4 tracks quite regularly and it definitely isn't as nimble as my Trance 27, the front is less controllable, and I can feel the higher headset and axle... don't like it! But it's not an apples-to-apples comparison, and it's a few years old now. It's also the best-steering 29er I've tried.

The short 165 mm cranks also concern me. Currently I ride 175 mm and my road race bike is 172.5. The latter feels small, but ok for the mostly higher cadence lower torque demands. A while ago I did a ride on my partner's trail bike with 170 mm cranks, and they felt tiny, like they were 15 mm shorter than mine, not 5. Gave me serious grief. I suppose I could change them relatively cheaply if I didn't get used to them.

TIA

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I have been tuning a 2019 Strive CF 8 which I have swapped out the stock 160mm fork air shaft with a 170mm as well as putting on the OneUp switch chainring carrier and put on a 30T chainring and installing Cushcore inserts into the wheels.

I am 6' 0" and 235 lbs.

* Weight ...

With CushCore my ride now weights slightly over 33lbs. In comparison my Evil the Following MS is 32 lbs and my SC Nomad 2.0 is 36.75 lbs (it has an all coil suspension and a burly wheelset).

Does the bike feel heavy or sluggish? ... Absolutely not.

Its not as nimble as my Canfield YS but that bike has a ridiculously short chainstay length and wheelbase for a 29er and is only 28 lbs. The Strive, a bike that has 30% more travel in the front and 25% travel in the rear for only an additional 1 lb of weight in comparison to my Following it is very responsive given its geometry in either mode. And in "click" mode the higher BB height does cut down on petal strikes. The XC mode really does help when you are confronted with a sudden steep uphill section you have to get over before you can return to attacking the decent.

* 27.5 vs 29er wheels ...

Over the years chainstay length have gotten shorter and shorter making bikes more nimble and responsive as the slacking HT angles have attempted to lengthen the wheelbase of the bike. The Canyon has a chainstay length shorter than my 26er Nomand (whose official measurement doesn't include the added length of the VPP link when the bike's sag is factored in).

When the Canfield YS hit the market back in 2011 it had a ridiculously short chainstay given what other 29ers were sporting then. The YS was definitely far from being a "wagon wheel" ride. The Strive chainstay is a bit longer than the YS but it has a lot of the same characteristics as the YS. The YS is nimble but its not the greatest when going down steep. The Strive has that longer wheelbase and a slack ST when in "clack" mode that you feel very in control of what the bike wants to do for you.

One challenge with the Strive on climbs is with tight left-hand turns because its really easy to drive your left knee into the seatpost control on the combo clamp with the shapeshifter control.

* 165mm cranks ...

I have long run 175mm on all my other bikes and really didn't feel the 165mm cranks were overly short. In DH mode it's still very easy to petal strike the ground even with the 165mm cranks. HOWEVER ... I am still tuning dialing the rear shock and once I put a larger volume spacer into the FOX DPX2 I think a lot of that will go away.

*** Future changes currently under consideration:

a) Larger volume spacer put into Fox DPX2 rear shock.
    b) Swap SRAM Code R brake level assemblies for Code RSC.
    c) Once fork and shock are dialed reduce air pressure in tires to 15-18 lbs. (wheels have cushcore inserts.)
    d) maybe swap stock G5 stem for an I9 A35 32mm +/- 5mm stem
    2010 SC Nomad 2.0
    2011 Specialized Demo II
    2011 CB Yelli Screamy
    2018 Evil the Following MB
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8.0

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Thanks for that.

Unfortunately the Strive special ended on Tuesday before I had made a decision. Full price they are not such a bargain.

In the end, I stumbled upon a clearance special 2019 Scott Ransom 920 (with TwinLoc) at my LBS, last one left, and in my size. Interesting that some of the ShapeShifter reviews say it's better than TwinLoc because it doesn't just make one simple change in isolation - but neither does TwinLoc.

Anyway, I bought it this afternoon! I will definitely keep the Strive in mind for next upgrade in a few years.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    bikemotto885 nice choice with the Ransom - I'm sure it won't disappoint. But I just thought I would mention for the benefit of any members reading this thread that I had the same issue you did - was trying decide whether to pull the trigger on a Strive while they were on sale, and then the sale was pulled. So I sent them an email a couple of days later asking if they would honour the sale price and they said yes, so I made the purchase on Friday (here in Australia the last sale day was Monday). It may not be too late for others considering it but bummed out by missing the sale - thought I'd mention it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by petemact View Post
    bikemotto885 nice choice with the Ransom - I'm sure it won't disappoint. But I just thought I would mention for the benefit of any members reading this thread that I had the same issue you did - was trying decide whether to pull the trigger on a Strive while they were on sale, and then the sale was pulled. So I sent them an email a couple of days later asking if they would honour the sale price and they said yes, so I made the purchase on Friday (here in Australia the last sale day was Monday). It may not be too late for others considering it but bummed out by missing the sale - thought I'd mention it.
    Out of curiosity, what model strive did you get and at what price ?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfern View Post
    Out of curiosity, what model strive did you get and at what price ?

Cheers
    I got the CF 7.0. Here in Australia the list price is $5,800, but on sale it was $4,650.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    was trying decide whether to pull the trigger on a Strive while they were on sale, and then the sale was pulled. So I sent them an email a couple of days later asking if they would honour the sale price and they said yes, so I made the purchase on Friday (here in Australia the last sale day was Monday).
    Wish I had thought of that - good job!

Chatted with a guy on the trail with an older ShapeShifter 1 Strive, he was pretty pleased with it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I got the CF 7.0. Here in Australia the list price is $5,800, but on sale it was $4,650.
    That's a bit bigger discount than we got. Here in NZ the 6.0 was $5800 down to $5000. Most of the bikes (if they had stock, it was limited) were $800 off.