2019 Strive 8.0 Reynolds TR 309 wheelset- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

2019 Strive 8.0 Reynolds TR 309 wheelset

Does anyone know if this is the TR 309 OR TR 309 S wheelset? I'm trying to find out if it has the TR3 or TR6 hub. The difference is 3 vs 6 pawl. Canyons website is vague just stating TR 309 but VITALMTB says they have the TR6 hubs.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    The 8.0 is spec'd with the TR 309 (rather than TR 309 S) wheel set, you can buy the TRS freehub which will drop straight in to upgrade to 6 pawl

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    That's what I thought but I was reading VITALMTB and it said differently so I want to check. I have the TR6 hub ordered but if I didn't need it I was going to cancel it.

mtbr member
    Do yourself a favor- when you get the wheels, sell them and buy something else. They're complete garbage. I blew out the original rear hub after about 6 rides, so Reynolds sent me a new wheelset. Blew that one out after about the same amount of riding (I'm 175 lbs) on non-technical terrain. So they sent me the upgraded TRS hub, and I sold them.

The guy I sold them to contacted me about 2 months later and was having problems with them too. So.... you'll be doing yourself a favor if you just buy something else before you ever have to deal with them. I guess one good thing to say is that their warranty department was easy to deal with; they probably get a lot of practice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I've actually had pretty good luck with mine so far I have about 200 miles and not a single issue (215 lbs rider + gear). Was just thinking that it'd be nice to have a little bit more engagement for technical stuff. I'm no longer in a rush for any of that now because on Sunday I broke my clavicle and I'll be off the bike for a while. Luckily the bike held up pretty well during the crash except I'll be needing some new handlebars.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    They're complete garbage. I blew out the original rear hub after about 6 rides, so Reynolds sent me a new wheelset. Blew that one out after about the same amount of riding (I'm 175 lbs) on non-technical terrain. So they sent me the upgraded TRS hub, and I sold them.
    I've seen this mentioned a lot online, mine been fine for the past 250km and who knows how many kms before that as they came on my ex demo strive, what actually breaks with them? It is just the freehub/pawl assembly or the hub shells themselves? I've been looking at those new Spank Hex drive hubs as a possible replacement if/when the Reynolds ones give up

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nz_yeti View Post
    I've seen this mentioned a lot online, mine been fine for the past 250km and who knows how many kms before that as they came on my ex demo strive, what actually breaks with them? It is just the freehub/pawl assembly or the hub shells themselves? I've been looking at those new Spank Hex drive hubs as a possible replacement if/when the Reynolds ones give up
    Unfortunately I don't remember what happened, but I do know they were two separate issues (when I had the bike, not sure about the issue that happened after I sold them). The engagement on the standard hubs was absolutely horrible, and it was only marginally better with the "upgraded" hub they sent me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Do yourself a favor- when you get the wheels, sell them and buy something else. They're complete garbage. I blew out the original rear hub after about 6 rides, so Reynolds sent me a new wheelset. Blew that one out after about the same amount of riding (I'm 175 lbs) on non-technical terrain. So they sent me the upgraded TRS hub, and I sold them.

The guy I sold them to contacted me about 2 months later and was having problems with them too. So.... you'll be doing yourself a favor if you just buy something else before you ever have to deal with them. I guess one good thing to say is that their warranty department was easy to deal with; they probably get a lot of practice.
    I stand corrected, while switching over to the TR6 freehub I found out the stock freehub was a 4 pawl version and it was basically self destructing. Weird because I hadn't had any issues with the wheelset since I got it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    mine been fine for the past 250km and who knows how many kms before that as they came on my ex demo strive
    Well that didn't take long, thought I had a crunchy mis-timed shift on a ride yesterday but it turns out that was a bearing imploding and now my hub shell is full of chunks of ball bearings. On the plus side the hub shell looks ok so hopefully can just get a replacement freehub rather than replacing the whole hub.

--EDIT--
    For future forum trawlers, a Stans Neo Durasync hub drops straight in
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Strive 8.0 Reynolds TR 309 wheelset-20200712_093733%5B1%5D.jpg  

Last edited by nz_yeti; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Well that didn't take long, thought I had a crunchy mis-timed shift on a ride yesterday but it turns out that was a bearing imploding and now my hub shell is full of chunks of ball bearings. On the plus side the hub shell looks ok so hopefully can just get a replacement freehub rather than replacing the whole hub.

--EDIT--
    For future forum trawlers, a Stans Neo Durasync hub drops straight in
    Also their 12X148 steel OS Axle is a direct fit as well. When replacing my freehub I noticed my stock alloy axle was getting absolutely destroyed where it mates with the bearings. Picked a steel axle up from Stan's to see how that one works out, adds 40g. Heads up I have been reading about people having similar issues with Stan's Neo freehubs just like the Reynolds.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Saw the axles were the same but didn't bother as I am replacing the hub shortly (in fact already have the hub, just need to delace the wheel and work out my spoke lengths)

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Saw the axles were the same but didn't bother as I am replacing the hub shortly (in fact already have the hub, just need to delace the wheel and work out my spoke lengths)

Just curious what hub are you switching to?

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Spank Hex

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Spank Hex
    Damn I'm looking that that hub also, please update this thread when you get it installed. I'm really curious about specifics like spokes, do they need to be replaced? Will the stock spokes work?

mtbr member
    Jul 2020

Bearing Detonation

Quote Originally Posted by Animatorman View Post
    Damn I'm looking that that hub also, please update this thread when you get it installed. I'm really curious about specifics like spokes, do they need to be replaced? Will the stock spokes work?
    My 3 week old CF8 detonated bearings today (exactly 70km). Canyon Australia are dealing with the warranty - but it means my 5 days off work for a riding trip around NSW is currently bike-less. It seems these Reynolds hubs are completely defective, my bearing detonated and 2 of the 4 pawls in the hub cracked the wall out of their placement.

I've send the wheel off to Canyon, who are now sending it to the states to what I assume will be a new TRS hub laced into my rim? to quote them they are replacing it with a stronger version as these have a known failure. This is suppose to be my race bike next year, with Reynolds acting up I am considering dropped ~$500 on a Hope Pro 4 into EX511 now and never touching Reynolds again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    My hub exploded on a steep climb almost three weeks ago. Not sure what/when the outer damage happened, but it was on the same day.

Canyon suggested I should contact the Reynolds importer directly.
    He was very helpful, but Reynolds has not given him a reply for over two weeks now

Basically, I'll never buy anything from them again

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    I've heard these have similar problems? - Canyon told me my replacement hub will have stronger axles and updated stronger hub bodies. I also read on a seperate forum post they're doing Industry 9 hydra hubs for a few warranty cases.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoMTB View Post
    I've heard these have similar problems? - Canyon told me my replacement hub will have stronger axles and updated stronger hub bodies. I also read on a seperate forum post they're doing Industry 9 hydra hubs for a few warranty cases.
    That would be great!

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoMTB View Post
    Just spoke to the Canyon rep. They couldn't do much to help me out, as Canyon don't stock spares.