2019 Canyon Strive CF 8.0 Review While Riding- Mtbr.com
    cpo
    mtbr member
    May 2019

2019 Canyon Strive CF 8.0 Review While Riding

A bike review from a different perspective. I'm probably the least qualified to do a bike review... but maybe that's what makes my thoughts valuable to others like me -- new to the mtb scene, looking for their first full suspension bike.
    I decided to take my GoPro on yesterday's ride.
    #notapro #justlearning #onebikequiver #notsponsored

Also... I posted this later in the thread, but adding it here for convenience.

Last edited by cpo; 1 Week Ago at 05:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    I am in a very similar situation to you. Just started mountain biking with my son a few months ago. I bought him a Commencal Meta HT Junior to upgrade from a 26" rigid fork mountain bike. Basically a mini 27.5" bike with a dropper. Cool little bike. So far I've been trying to keep up with him on my hybrid bike... and it isn't working out!

I'm in Florida so there isn't much elevation in general but the local singletrack has some technical sections, rock gardens, jumps, and the trickiest of all is the sandy sections. There is also a local bike park downhill deal at a former dump (a Florida mountain! HA!) So, I have figured if I am going to buy a bike I might as well buy one that will be "future proof" for me.

I have been looking at Mid Travel Full Suspension 29ers around $2K. Fezzari Abajo Peak, Vittus Escarpe, YT Jeffsy, Canyon Strive, Commencal Meta TR... etc. I love a good "value" so I have mostly been looking at direct brands.

I ordered a Fezzari Abajo Peak ($2,300 or so after adding a dropper and tubeless) after reading good things about the X Fusion McQueen fork for the money; but, it is back ordered and the recent sale that Canyon is running has me looking hard at a Strive 6.0 (18% off $3,299) or Strive 8.0 (25% off $3,999). I also really love the matte black look on the Strive. And I love nifty mechanical stuff so why not the shape shifter?

I originally didn't imagine going carbon even for the frame due to cost (really don't care that much about weight, etc. I am just going to have fun).

The specs on these bikes for the sale price is amazing and can't even be beat by used bikes that I can find. I think most of the upgrades on the 8.0 would not be very noticeable to me. Mostly weight savings. All the reviews I've read the Fox 36 Performance Elite and RockShox Lyrik RC2 are both amazing forks. But, the bang for your buck on these Canyons has me saying. Why not get the $1,299 Reynolds carbon wheels (with a lifetime warranty!), X01 groupset that is significantly more expensive than GX, Carbon Bars, Fox Dropper... etc. for an extra $700!?!?. I put togther a spreadsheet and the component cost (retail) on the 8.0 is at least $1,800 more.

Anyway, your review was perfect for me and actually the trails you are riding are way more similar to my trails than what a lot of the professional reviewers ride out west.

Thanks for posting. If anyone wants to talk me into the 6.0 or 8.0 feel free .

cpo
    mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by steve1081 View Post
    Thanks for posting. If anyone wants to talk me into the 6.0 or 8.0 feel free .
    Thanks for the feedback... Personally the 8.0 was a no brainer... but I was already looking for similar spec in other bikes. The value in this one is amazing tho. Truth be told... I bought it at full price... so that should tell you something. Now it's $1300 cheaper! (I did get the sale price eventually, thanks to Canyon's awesome customer service. The bike went on sale the day mine was delivered... so they gave me the sale price.)

cpo
    mtbr member
    May 2019
    Here's a closer look at the bike in today's bike check video! I also go into how the Shapeshifter works.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Good video...very nice trail + very nice bike = FUN. And, the more fun you have, the more you will learn....natural progression.
    You can't go wrong with Canyon's quality and value.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by cpo View Post
    Thanks for the feedback... Personally the 8.0 was a no brainer... but I was already looking for similar spec in other bikes. The value in this one is amazing tho. Truth be told... I bought it at full price... so that should tell you something. Now it's $1300 cheaper! (I did get the sale price eventually, thanks to Canyon's awesome customer service. The bike went on sale the day mine was delivered... so they gave me the sale price.)
    That was good of them to give you the sale price. The new video is helpful too. Looks like the Spectral's are mostly sold out; but, they still have all the Strive models in stock. I prefer the strive due to the threaded BB and ability to fit a bottle in the frame. Seems like most manufacturers are going back to threaded BBs. Commencal and a few others switched over on 2020 bikes.

I pulled the trigger on the Strive 8.0 last night. Way more bike than I need; but, 25% off the already great Canyon pricing resulted in a price less than a similar spec used or demo bike.

Thanks again for all the really great feedback on the bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    CPO,

Did the bike come with tubeless valves?

Thanks!

cpo
    mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by steve1081 View Post
    CPO,

Did the bike come with tubeless valves?

Thanks!
    Yes... already taped and stems in the bag. All you need is sealant!