2019 Canyon Spectral AL 6.0- Mtbr.com
    banned
    Dec 2018

2019 Canyon Spectral AL 6.0

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/mtb/spe...pectral-al-6-0

Canyon has rolled it's new Spectral AL for '19: the 6.0. Suspension has been updated to 160/150 vs 150/140 last year. Paint scheme updated. Still a GX Eagle bike.

Pricepoint has been "updated" to $2899.

Is this an enduro bike with 160/150mm travel? Is it still the same great value as last year's bike?

Look forward to ride reviews from owners!

2019 Canyon Spectral AL 6.0-afdd4b018325ae5dc9480a97de2ad.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Pretty sweet looking bike for the price. That fork doesn't seem to exist on Fox's website, though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    anyone have this bike yet? curious as to how's it riding. any feedback appreciated

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    bump

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    HI,

First impression of my new bike: is great: good pedaling, good suspensions, good upgrade for me. It's on the enduro side as it weights 14.8 kg with pedals (M size).

Can't tell more because it's still muddy outside and it will be weeks before it will dry up, but is very promising.

2019 Canyon Spectral AL 6.0-52843701_274112783487558_3450770454401253376_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I was at the Santos Fat Tire Festival last weekend and Canyon was there demoing bikes. Which is pretty awesome to me because my biggest worry is buying an untested bike, and this is a direct to consumer seller that is actively traveling around so you can ride before you buy.

In case you don't know, Santos is in Central Florida (there are a LOT of videos on YouTube), it's huge there and has some amazing trails. A lot of good pedaling, and some steep climbs and drops too. The only thing you won't find is a long decent like you would get on a mountain trail.

So that being said, I loved this bike. They were actually demoing the CF 7.0 with Rockshox equipment on it. The bike is a hell of a lot of fun. I'm coming from a Diamondback Mason 2 27.5+ hard tail, and this Spectral was WAY easier to pedal over roots and rocks than my hard tail. People say it's easier to pedal a hard tail, but honestly with modern rear suspension I don't believe it anymore. Especially here in Central Florida with a lot of roots, you hit a bad root on a climb with your rear tire on a hard tail and your bike just stops cold. With a good rear suspension it'll let the tire come up and over the roots instead of 'hitting' them solid. It was super nice to not have to stand up over every bump too, I could just comfortably sit and pedal on the Spectral.

I'll say at first when I took out the Spectral it was actually kind of hard to pedal until I put the rear shock on the middle setting. Once I did that I was flying. The open setting was super soft and while it pedals great over flat terrain, as soon as you hit a bump it would compress too easily and you'd have to power out of the bumps. With the rear shock on the middle setting I could easily pedal over roots and rocks no problem. I also didn't feel the need to lock out the front suspension, I just left it open the whole time.

On drops it felt great, it absorbed the impact easily and climbing was also great especially with the eagle gear. It was easy to lean the bike into corners, etc. Going over fast bumps I was just popping off of everything, I was actually jumping small bumps on this bike far easier than my hard tail. It just wants to be in the air, so much fun.

Personally I loved it, no issues at all and I'm looking forward to having one in the future when I have some extra funds. I'd also prefer the Fox equipment on the AL over the Rockshox on the CF.

To be fair I also tested the Neuron and loved that bike too. The Neuron was actually the AL 7.0. Man that 29" wheelbase just flies when you're pedaling, and it really does roll over everything. But only 130/130 suspension. Realistically here in FL 130/130 on a 29" wheelbase is probably enough, but I just like knowing I'd have more with the Spectral. I'll say though that with the rear shock on the Spectral on the middle setting, it felt like the Neuron 130 shock on full open. Which was actually good to know, because the Neuron was like just get on it, start pedaling, and you're going 20mph. It was super fun. So when I got on the Spectral I was actually really disappointed how hard it felt to pedal it over roots, etc., because it just seemed like the suspension would immediately compress. UNTIL I put it in the middle setting on the shock. So as a reference it almost felt like I reduced the travel to the 130mm shock, even though you're really just stiffening it up. Also, to be fair, the Neuron also has more XC type fast rolling tires and of course 29" wheels. With 27.5 wheels and knobbier DHR/DHF tires on the Spectral it's an easy trade off for pedaling efficiency.

If you're wondering about the AL vs CF frames, I literally forgot I was on a CF frame when riding the Spectral. The AL frame felt just as solid as the CF and the CF is only about 2 lbs lighter. After that ride I didn't really see the sense in spending that much money to get a CF frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blue92lx View Post
    I was at the Santos Fat Tire Festival last weekend and Canyon was there demoing bikes. Which is pretty awesome to me because my biggest worry is buying an untested bike, and this is a direct to consumer seller that is actively traveling around so you can ride before you buy.

In case you don't know, Santos is in Central Florida (there are a LOT of videos on YouTube), it's huge there and has some amazing trails. A lot of good pedaling, and some steep climbs and drops too. The only thing you won't find is a long decent like you would get on a mountain trail.

So that being said, I loved this bike. They were actually demoing the CF 7.0 with Rockshox equipment on it. The bike is a hell of a lot of fun. I'm coming from a Diamondback Mason 2 27.5+ hard tail, and this Spectral was WAY easier to pedal over roots and rocks than my hard tail. People say it's easier to pedal a hard tail, but honestly with modern rear suspension I don't believe it anymore. Especially here in Central Florida with a lot of roots, you hit a bad root on a climb with your rear tire on a hard tail and your bike just stops cold. With a good rear suspension it'll let the tire come up and over the roots instead of 'hitting' them solid. It was super nice to not have to stand up over every bump too, I could just comfortably sit and pedal on the Spectral.

I'll say at first when I took out the Spectral it was actually kind of hard to pedal until I put the rear shock on the middle setting. Once I did that I was flying. The open setting was super soft and while it pedals great over flat terrain, as soon as you hit a bump it would compress too easily and you'd have to power out of the bumps. With the rear shock on the middle setting I could easily pedal over roots and rocks no problem. I also didn't feel the need to lock out the front suspension, I just left it open the whole time.

On drops it felt great, it absorbed the impact easily and climbing was also great especially with the eagle gear. It was easy to lean the bike into corners, etc. Going over fast bumps I was just popping off of everything, I was actually jumping small bumps on this bike far easier than my hard tail. It just wants to be in the air, so much fun.

Personally I loved it, no issues at all and I'm looking forward to having one in the future when I have some extra funds. I'd also prefer the Fox equipment on the AL over the Rockshox on the CF.

To be fair I also tested the Neuron and loved that bike too. The Neuron was actually the AL 7.0. Man that 29" wheelbase just flies when you're pedaling, and it really does roll over everything. But only 130/130 suspension. Realistically here in FL 130/130 on a 29" wheelbase is probably enough, but I just like knowing I'd have more with the Spectral. I'll say though that with the rear shock on the Spectral on the middle setting, it felt like the Neuron 130 shock on full open. Which was actually good to know, because the Neuron was like just get on it, start pedaling, and you're going 20mph. It was super fun. So when I got on the Spectral I was actually really disappointed how hard it felt to pedal it over roots, etc., because it just seemed like the suspension would immediately compress. UNTIL I put it in the middle setting on the shock. So as a reference it almost felt like I reduced the travel to the 130mm shock, even though you're really just stiffening it up. Also, to be fair, the Neuron also has more XC type fast rolling tires and of course 29" wheels. With 27.5 wheels and knobbier DHR/DHF tires on the Spectral it's an easy trade off for pedaling efficiency.

If you're wondering about the AL vs CF frames, I literally forgot I was on a CF frame when riding the Spectral. The AL frame felt just as solid as the CF and the CF is only about 2 lbs lighter. After that ride I didn't really see the sense in spending that much money to get a CF frame.
    Thanks for the report! Iím very familiar with Santos, and have been thinking about getting a Spectral.
    One question - did you notice the low bb on the Santos roots and rocks? Any pedal strike problems?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    To be honest the BB didn't feel low to me, at least not compared to my Mason 2 hard tail. I don't feel like the Mason 2 has a low BB, but it didn't feel weird at all going from that to the Spectral. I didn't have any moments riding the Spectral where I felt like I might get an unusual pedal strike, etc.

I also didn't ride the second part of Vortex, for the two demo rides I only did the first half of the Vortex because I didn't want to get burnt out on the crazy climbs on the second half. But I feel like I got a really good idea of what to expect from the Spectral and it fits with what every review says about it. I really can't see anyone being disappointed with the purchase, it was just a great bike from start to finish.

The only thing I want to see in person, or at least a really good picture, is the Infraraw color. They only had the black paint version (which still looks awesome), but I feel like I really would want to see the Infraraw version before buying it because it's just too hard to tell from the website picture.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Thanks for that review blue92lx just what i have been looking for. Really hoping i can save enough money to get myself the al 5 or 6 spectral later in year. Quick question how did the frame feel as i have heard couple of people say they are not very well made?

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by draffish View Post
    Thanks for that review blue92lx just what i have been looking for. Really hoping i can save enough money to get myself the al 5 or 6 spectral later in year. Quick question how did the frame feel as i have heard couple of people say they are not very well made?
    I'm not sure why someone would say they're not well made. For the Aluminum frame on the Neuron it felt identical to the Carbon frame I had on the Spectral. I never had any reason to given thought to how the frames felt in the sense that it seemed unsafe or poor quality.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by draffish View Post
    The aluminum frame of Spectral is very well made, good looking and nice to touch, nice lines and good welding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I just received my AL 6.0 last Monday. I only have 3 rides on it so far and agree with almost everything blue92lx had to say about it. The bike climbs much better than I expected even in the middle setting. I played around in the firm setting a bit but don't see much need for it except maybe on long rides with a lot of climbing. There is no doubt that the BB is noticeable for me. I have had way too many pedal strikes on my first two rides, today not so many, so maybe I am starting to get used to it. My only issue so far however is with the seat post clamp. The allen screw keeps backing out so my seat drops down, and I mean like 3-4 times per ride, very frustrating. Tonight I put come blue loctite on it so hopefully that takes care of it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Canyon Spectral AL 6.0-20190311_185647_resized-2-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Very similar experience after 3 rides:
    the BB is lower than my previous bike but i got used to it and i don't hit any roots anymore on climbing or going over small heaps. The bike climbs very well, even than is heavier with 1.8 kg than my previous , i don't feel it.
    I had the same issue with the clamp but it was without any fixing paste (even that the bike came with it and it was in the assembling instructions) i added some and seems to hold. For me was hard to mount the seat post because the cable was stuck in the seat tube and i had to manufacture a hook from a hanger to get it out.
    The bikes continue to impress me, is very stable and well balanced, the cornering is great and has a lot of grip.

I weight 87 kg and in the shock i have 180 psi. The sag of the shock is ~45% and seems to be the right amount for me. However if i want a sag at 30% i need to put in ~250 psi which seems too much. In the fork i have 55 psi ~ 20% sag and i use most of the travel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiducus View Post
    Very similar experience after 3 rides:
    the BB is lower than my previous bike but i got used to it and i don't hit any roots anymore on climbing or going over small heaps. The bike climbs very well, even than is heavier with 1.8 kg than my previous , i don't feel it.
    I had the same issue with the clamp but it was without any fixing paste (even that the bike came with it and it was in the assembling instructions) i added some and seems to hold. For me was hard to mount the seat post because the cable was stuck in the seat tube and i had to manufacture a hook from a hanger to get it out.
    The bikes continue to impress me, is very stable and well balanced, the cornering is great and has a lot of grip.

I weight 87 kg and in the shock i have 180 psi. The sag of the shock is ~45% and seems to be the right amount for me. However if i want a sag at 30% i need to put in ~250 psi which seems too much. In the fork i have 55 psi ~ 20% sag and i use most of the travel.
    I'd suggest upping the shock PSI. I'm 205lbs (93kg) and if I remember right they pumped up my rear shock to around 225psi on the demo bike. It had around 30% sag if I remember right.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I just ordered a pair of these!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Canyon Spectral AL 6.0-ck4799.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by vawt33 View Post
    I just ordered a pair of these!
    Yep, me too yesterday!

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Thanks for the updates been fantastic to know what you think. I was concerned mainly because it was someone working in the bike industry who said to avoid canyon because of the workmanship but listening to you guys has eased my mind just got to save up some more money and will be ordering one.