Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2009

2018 Spectral Owners Thread

Doesn't look like anyone started one yet so here goes. Covers all models. Post your pics, tips, questions, etc. specific to the 2018+ (until frame change) Spectral.

I'll start.

I have the 6.0 Al in size Medium that I just received this past weekend. Very happy with Canyon service and shipping times so far. Ordered on Tuesday received in Detroit on Saturday.

I had a CF 8.0 but it arrived with a scratch and chip in the CF frame so I returned it. Expect to have refund by end of the week. I got the Al model to replace it since the weights were so close and now I won't have CF anxiety + have an extra G in my pocket for potential upgrades. Really pleased with my "downgrade" choice actually.

First pass concerns (riding around the neighborhood, no trail riding yet):
    1. Still wondering if perhaps I should have gone for the large (I'm 5'10" with 32" inseam). L would mean that fully extended seat height would be about 22 mm too high though.
    2. Rear hub engagement requires much more crank rotation in low gears than I'm used to
    3. Rear brake requires more pressure than front. Didn't have this issue with the CF 8.0 so probably just needs a bleed.
    4. Seat creaks
    5. I have no idea what the hex 5nm torque wrench is for (it seems redundant) when the dial wrench covers this torque range

Things I like:
    1. Awesome bang-for-the buck. Commencal TR (sweet looking bike) was my next option and it was $600 more w/o the wider rims which I wanted.
    2. Prefer the KS Lev Si dropper to the RS Reverb on the CF 8.0. It slides easier and has a nice southpaw lever versus the silly push-button on the RS.
    3. Al frame looks better in person then in photos
    4. Canyon US reps have answered all my emails and phone calls

Right now my upgrade list includes:
    1. 60 or 70mm stem
    2. CF handlebar (reduce high-frequency vibration and shave a few grams)
    3. Rear hub if engagement still bothers me after after a few rides
    4. Water bottle holder (I might have one laying around somewhere)

Questions:
    1. What are you guys running for tire pressures? Seems like the the 2.6" tires want to go lower than the mid 20's.
    2. What is the best suspension setup for max plushness over small bumps? No tokens & 35% SAG sound right? The trails I normally ride have 1.5' drops max but tons of roots and rocks.

2018 Spectral Owners Thread-20180311_144634.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I own the CF 9.0 Pro and I am very happy with it.

On my upgrade list:

1. Different Saddle. The one that comes with the bike is good, but just not wide enough for me.
    2. 1x Remote for the Reverb. The plunger works for now, but the 1x Remote seems like a better idea.
    3. Tools/spares storage. Looking at various options to keep a spare tire and a multitool on the Bike. The most promising option so far: Specialized MTB XC Box (https://www.specialized.com/us/en/mt...=234994-130105). I'll be picking that one up in a few days from my LBS.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    ehkrass,
    Congrats on the bike. I can't argue with 1 or 2. Regarding 3, why not wait for the Canyon specific box? Seems like they're starting to get accessories based on my last conversation with them. Hopefully they won't charge an arm-and-a-leg for things like the box, water bottle-cage, hanger, etc.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegaman007 View Post
    ehkrass,
    Congrats on the bike. I can't argue with 1 or 2. Regarding 3, why not wait for the Canyon specific box? Seems like they're starting to get accessories based on my last conversation with them. Hopefully they won't charge an arm-and-a-leg for things like the box, water bottle-cage, hanger, etc.
    For 3, it basically comes down to availability. I've been checking their German and US website almost daily.

Do you have any specific details with regards to availability that you can share?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ehkrass View Post
    For 3, it basically comes down to availability. I've been checking their German and US website almost daily.

Do you have any specific details with regards to availability that you can share?
    I do not ask about it since I wasn't planning on getting one but the call-center folks were helpful in providing dates for me in the past regarding when the Spectrals were going to show up and when the hangers would be available so give them a call and see if they can give you an ETA.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have the AL 6.0 and love it. I am 5'11.5" with 31" inseam and got a large. I am running the 150mm seatpost about 1.5" pulled out from top of seat tube. I was planning some upgrades but out of the box I am very pleased with everything. I plan on swapping out the stem as just the tiny look of it bugs me. The Guide R brakes are decent but may swap them out for the Magura MT Trail Sport brakes which I love.

The bike is a beast on the downs and very happy with the fat tires.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by meSSican View Post
    I have the AL 6.0 and love it. I am 5'11.5" with 31" inseam and got a large. I am running the 150mm seatpost about 1.5" pulled out from top of seat tube. ....
    Is your 31 inseam a typo or do you not like your dropper to go into full extension? Maybe wearing platform MTB shoes? Ha ha.

I have a 32 inseam (5'10" tall) and am running the dropper about 17mm out on the M. If the seat tube is indeed 40mm longer on the L then I'd have to downsize the dropper if I wanted to run out fully extended, which I do. Perhaps I'm missing something?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Nope, All correct measurements. My other bike has a 15mm longer seat tube and I run the 150mm dropper about 3/4" out of the seat tube. Seatposts fully extended on climbs.

I started with it slammed in and gradually raised it. Usually climb around 3700-4500 ft every ride and usually ride about 2 times a week.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I got a 2018 Spectral 6.0 AL size Large last week and have been itching to ride it. Trouble is the trails here are still muddy and snowy in places so I can't get out and really test it's capabilities. I've only managed about 10 miles in the past week.
    Bit of background. I've been bought a Giant Talon 2 new in 2012. After really getting the mountain biking bug in 2016, I'm finally to the point where I wanted a full squish ride to smooth out the gnar. I was set on a Giant Trance 2 for the longest but after finding Canyon, I realized the Spectral has better specs for less money. I spent probably two weeks trying to figure out what size to get. I finally settled on an L and it fits me pretty well. I'm 6' even in socks with a 33.5" inseam. The only thing I'm not sure about is that the seat height with the dropper all the way inserted and post extended is a little uncomfortable to stand with. I usually just drop the post to get on or off anyways so it doesn't bother me too much. I probably could have gone with a medium.
    Finally pulled the trigger after dawdling for a month or two.
    As it sits, the Spectral is stock but for some large Crank Brothers Stamp 3 pedals. I murdered the dropper cable housing in my haste to assemble it but pulled one out of my spares and had it up and running Friday of last week.

In the little bit of time I've actually ridden it, I've realized a couple of things that I need to get used to.
    1. The bottom bracket is a lot lower than on my Talon. I've got to be a lot more careful when cornering to not have pedal strikes.
    2. The Eagle GX still needs a bit of tweaking as I get used to it. But the lowest gear doesn't seem to be as low as I was expecting. In my mind I saw it as stump-pulling torque. In practice though, it feels like it's barely lower than my lowest on the Talon. I really should have done the math. The lowest gear on the Talon is 22-32 (front-rear) while the lowest on the Spectral is 32-50. Even though the Talon is a 29er, it still feels better in the low end than the Spectral. I could remedy that with a smaller front chain ring. We'll have to see where I end up spending most of my uphill time, gear-wise.
    3. Like Omegaman said, the rear hub engagement is terrible. It takes a good 1/8th of a pedal turn to engage the hub. I'll have to ride it for a while before I make a decision. But I've got a feeling in the future I'll be looking at a new hub.
    4. The bars seem a touch wide for my shoulders but that might be because of the size jump. I put a cheap set of 720mm bars on the Talon and really enjoyed them. The Spectral has 780mm wide bars.

Things I do like:
    1. Again, like Omegaman said, the color is awesome. I was expecting anodized aluminum but the powder coat is great.
    2. The 12-speed seems like it goes on forever. Clicking through the gears seems like it'll never end to get from the lowest to the highest. I'm also really happy to have the cockpit cleared up with one less shifter in my way.
    3. The ride is really comfortable. But almost anything with rear suspension is more comfortable than a hardtail. I'm hoping this'll help extend my ride sessions.
    4. The brakes aren't as instant as I was expecting but they are still great.
    5. I didn't notice it on the first trail ride but the pedal lockout works well. The first time I had it out was more of a hilly rail-trail than AM riding. I rode up some short but steep grades fully open. However once I got out onto some real trails, I could tell the lockout was doing it's job. Really glad to have it. That'll be fun learning to use. We have no shortage of hills to climb here.
    6. The wheel base is a good 5" longer than my Talon but I really like it. It'll cut down on the maneuverability on tight trails but I don't ride them too often.

In general, my main impression is that the bike is confidence-inspiring. So much so that I'm impatiently biding my time until it's warmed and dried up. Can't wait to bomb down some of the Trails on Mt Penn or Neversink Mountain.
    Can't really say what I run for pressures or sag yet. I just know that I'm going tubeless soon once it dries out here. I have a slow leak in my front tube but pumped it up to 35psi for the last outing.

TLDR: Very happy with it but it needs some getting used to and tweaking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018 Spectral Owners Thread-img_20180309_155834.jpg  

Mtn View, CA
    Anyone with a size small try to fit a water bottle? Not too thrilled with their dual small bottle solution.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    First off, sweet photo!! ... and thanks for the post.

Quote Originally Posted by ginger-mech View Post
    I got a 2018 Spectral 6.0 AL size Large last week and have been itching to ride it. Trouble is the trails here are still muddy and snowy in places so I can't get out and really test it's capabilities.
    I feel your pain, same issue here. I took it to the local singletrack last Sunday only to find that they were completely snow covered and I should have brought my fatbike. I've just been riding it around the yard trying to get everything setup apart from doing the initial brake bed-in on the paved trail last Sunday.

I probably could have gone with a medium.
    I think you made the right choice... I keep thinking that I 5'10" I should have gone with a large. I did try raising the dropper up by 40mm to simulate a large seattube this afternoon and it becomes just a tad too tall at full extension for me then.

As it sits, the Spectral is stock but for some large Crank Brothers Stamp 3 pedals.
    I picked those up also, but the reg size. Seem plenty big for me at least. Happy so far since they weren't completely failing in the snow like the budget flats that I brought on Amazon (which had a 5 star rating).

Normally I ride clipped, and I have some red CB pedals on stand-by for it, but I'm trying to learn to manual and bunny-hop so will be using the flats for a while.

I murdered the dropper cable housing in my haste to assemble it but pulled one out of my spares and had it up and running Friday of last week.
    I've noticed that others have mentioned having issues with this but for me the cable was sticking out of the tube and it only took a few seconds to get the dropper on. Was your cable not fed through the frame when you received it?
    I could remedy that with a smaller front chain ring. We'll have to see where I end up spending most of my uphill time, gear-wise.
    Luckily it's an easy fix like you mentioned. I've actually been curious to try one of those oval rings but I would feel bad for the springs on the rear mech...

3. Like Omegaman said, the rear hub engagement is terrible. It takes a good 1/8th of a pedal turn to engage the hub. I'll have to ride it for a while before I make a decision. But I've got a feeling in the future I'll be looking at a new hub.
    If you end up changing that out I'd be interested in hearing what you go with and how much it set you back. Looks like the whole hub needs to get replaced to remedy that?

4. The bars seem a touch wide for my shoulders but that might be because of the size jump. I put a cheap set of 720mm bars on the Talon and really enjoyed them. The Spectral has 780mm wide bars.
    I might splurge on a CF 760mm bar in the future to quell some of the high-frequency vibrations if that turns out to be an issue... or cut the stock bars down to 760mm since there are a lot of tight tree openings one the local trails.

4. The brakes aren't as instant as I was expecting but they are still great.
    I think bedding the pads helped; might want to give that a go if you haven't already.

5. I didn't notice it on the first trail ride but the pedal lockout works well. The first time I had it out was more of a hilly rail-trail than AM riding. I rode up some short but steep grades fully open. However once I got out onto some real trails, I could tell the lockout was doing it's job. Really glad to have it. That'll be fun learning to use. We have no shortage of hills to climb here.
    The Pike on my bike takes a few cycles before changes to LSC dampening are realized. Not an issue but I thought the fork was defective the first time I played with that knob. Curious if yours reacts the same. Mine had one token installed, which jives with what RS has posted on their website.

Can't wait to bomb down some of the Trails on Mt Penn or Neversink Mountain.
    Jealous... I have to drive a few hours to access any significant elevation.

I just know that I'm going tubeless soon once it dries out here.
    Plan on doing that as well but want to ride it with tubes a few times to see how much of a difference it makes. My bikes (fatbike and CX) have either started off and stayed tubeless, or have had tubes from the get-go (older stuff). I've never done a change-over.

Enjoy your ride!

mtbr member
    Like Omegaman said, the rear hub engagement is terrible. It takes a good 1/8th of a pedal turn to engage the hub. I'll have to ride it for a while before I make a decision. But I've got a feeling in the future I'll be looking at a new hub.
    Did some searching, and it looks like M1900 wheels have 370hubs and 3pawl systems with 24 poe...non-upgradeable I'm afraid.

Spectrals with M1700 wheels come with 350hubs and Ratchet systems with higher poe.

Look on the bright side, at least they didn't come with 18poe hubs like some treks :P

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gddyap View Post
    Anyone with a size small try to fit a water bottle? Not too thrilled with their dual small bottle solution.
    I swear that in at least one video review that I watched they mentioned that bottles will fit even on the small sizes, but I do not recall what size bottle. Pretty sure the video with the English Canyon rep mentioned it.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_manny View Post
    Did some searching, and it looks like M1900 wheels have 370hubs and 3pawl systems with 24 poe...non-upgradeable I'm afraid.

Spectrals with M1700 wheels come with 350hubs and Ratchet systems with higher poe.

Look on the bright side, at least they didn't come with 18poe hubs like some treks :P
    I test rode the CF 8.0 which I believe comes with the M1700... I thought that engagement was bad also. Maybe we'll get used to it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm 5'10 with 32 inseam, 480 seat tube with 150 droper are just too much.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Guess I am just a mystery but I am fitting a L just fine with a 31" inseam. My Rallon has a 495mm seat tube and I'm running a 150mm dropper about 1/2ish" out of the seat tube just fine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I test rode the CF 8.0 which I believe comes with the M1700... I thought that engagement was bad also. Maybe we'll get used to it.
    Good thing about the M1700 is you can get the 36t or 54t star ratchet to up the hub engagement points. I find the 24t on the m1900 fine although more would be nice. Coming off a 48t and 54t on my other bikes and only notice it when I focus on it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    For the rear pawls, I was thinking a new hub. Didn't know some could be upgraded. I've been dreaming about a full Industry Nine wheelset but will probably go with a cheaper alternative like Nukeproof. Just have to find one that can handle a 12-speed cassette.

My seat cable was routed correctly. However since I was in a rush, I didn't feed the cable down through the grommet while I pushed the dropper into the frame. The grommet held the cable and prevented it from sliding. The weakest link in the system gave out and the cable bent and mashed up between the inside of the frame and the dropper.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    .....However since I was in a rush, I didn't feed the cable down through the grommet while I pushed the dropper into the frame. The grommet held the cable and prevented it from sliding. The weakest link in the system gave out and the cable bent and mashed up between the inside of the frame and the dropper.
    I do not recall seeing a grommet. I'm assuming that it was in the seat tube? Dropper has been working fine though and I haven't heard any cable slap so I guess it's OK... I'll have to look in there next time I have the post off.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    The grommet is on the back of the frame just about the bottom bracket. On mine the cable is routed down through the frame protectors, under the bottom bracket, and up through the grommet into the frame. It holds the cable really well so I'd be surprised if there was any cable slap.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Subscribing.. strongly considering the Al Large when it comes back in stock (I'm 6' w/ 32" inseam)

How have you all found customer service after bike purchase? Is CanyonUSA responsive to concerns?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by phogan22 View Post
    How have you all found customer service after bike purchase? Is CanyonUSA responsive to concerns?
    UPDATE: Logged into my CC and noticed that I got the refund for the return on the 14th, so it only took them 3 business days to process it.

I've been pleased so far but all I've done is returned one bike. I expected to have my money back by now but it seems like they're running behind..If I don't have a refund by next week then I'll have to give them a call and find out what's going on. Customer service has been very responsive and pleasant over the phone and within a couple of days via email. No ignored emails yet and I've probably sent a half dozen.
    Last edited by Omegaman007; 03-18-2018 at 07:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Im planning to buy canyon spectral CF. I am 5'7" and 780 inseam.What is the best size to get? Im in between S and M.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by archgodi View Post
    Im planning to buy canyon spectral CF race. I am 5'7" and 780 inseam.What is the best size to get? Im in between S and M.
    What size fuel EX do you prefer?

I find it easier to recognize a bike-fit you like...then compare Geos.
    Last edited by mr_manny; 03-19-2018 at 07:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Subscribing.. strongly considering the Al Large when it comes back in stock (I'm 6' w/ 32" inseam)

My Lev Si failed on the 4th ride. Reached out to Canyon so I'll see how their service goes.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    My Lev Si failed on the 4th ride. Reached out to Canyon so I'll see how their service goes.
    That's a bummer. Hopefully they'll send you out a replacement ASAP. Keep us in the loop and I hope you get to go riding again shortly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018

New question here. Size Help!

Hey All,

Seriously considering the Spectral and looking for some sizing advice. I'm not sure if I should be riding a S or M. I'm in between sizes at exactly 170 cm tall with a 79 cm inseam. I've gotten 3 different answers from Canyon's PPS with only slight changes to my measurements (S, M, and M but S because my inseam measurement).

Here is the geo of my current bike (medium 2014 BH Lynx 4.829) compared to the S and M Spectrals:

2018 Spectral Owners Thread-bike-geos.jpg

My current STL, TTL, and HTL are similar to the M Spectral, however, the wheel base, stack, and reach are all more similar to the S Spectral.

Given the BH is less of a trail bike compared to the Spectral, my instinct is to go with the M for the longer reach and wheel base. However, I'm worried about my inseam length and not being able to have the saddle at the proper height with the 150 mm dropper. Any advice or guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Winks3 View Post
    Hey All,

Seriously considering the Spectral and looking for some sizing advice. I'm not sure if I should be riding a S or M. I'm in between sizes at exactly 170 cm tall with a 79 cm inseam. I've gotten 3 different answers from Canyon's PPS with only slight changes to my measurements (S, M, and M but S because my inseam measurement).

Here is the geo of my current bike (medium 2014 BH Lynx 4.829) compared to the S and M Spectrals:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bike Geos.JPG 
Views:	212 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	1188523

My current STL, TTL, and HTL are similar to the M Spectral, however, the wheel base, stack, and reach are all more similar to the S Spectral.

Given the BH is less of a trail bike compared to the Spectral, my instinct is to go with the M for the longer reach and wheel base. However, I'm worried about my inseam length and not being able to have the saddle at the proper height with the 150 mm dropper. Any advice or guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks.
    On your current bike, measure from the middle of the BB to the top of the saddle. If you measure 702mm or more, then at least you know that you can have the saddle at the proper height with the dropper fully extended on the M. (This assumes you have 175mm cranks. Adjust accordingly if you have different length cranks).

If you measure less, then you'd have to swap out the dropper, or change the cranks or both... or go with the S.

If you're still unsure, have you considered ordering both and send back the one that doesn't fit?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I'm worried about my inseam length and not being able to have the saddle at the proper height with the 150 mm dropper. Any advice or guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks.
    Don't let the dropper influence your decision, get the right size frame then swap the dropper if necessary.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    The large should be perfect for you. I'm 6' 2" and find that the XL would be perfect for me if I was an inch or two taller.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gibsonlespaulspecial View Post
    Don't let the dropper influence your decision, get the right size frame then swap the dropper if necessary.
    Exactly

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by gibsonlespaulspecial View Post
    Thanks for the help. In this case what IS the correct frame size? What's more important for a good fit? Stack and reach or TTL, STL, HTL?

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    On your current bike, measure from the middle of the BB to the top of the saddle. If you measure 702mm or more, then at least you know that you can have the saddle at the proper height with the dropper fully extended on the M. (This assumes you have 175mm cranks. Adjust accordingly if you have different length cranks).
    Thanks for the tip. I'll have to try this tonight. What's Canyon's exchange policy? Would I be able to go for a ride and then return it if the size feels wrong?

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Thanks for the tip. I'll have to try this tonight. What's Canyon's exchange policy? Would I be able to go for a ride and then return it if the size feels wrong?
    https://www.canyon.com/en-us/imprint.../return-policy

TL;DR: Return unused for full refund, return used for store credit (to swap out for different size/model).

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Any shredders in harsh terrain on the Spectral? It just flashed on my radar, as Iím in the market for a secondary bike for my 29. Most of my riding on South Mountain in Phoenix and I like to go fast in super-gnar terrain.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Thanks for the help. In this case what IS the correct frame size? What's more important for a good fit? Stack and reach or TTL, STL, HTL?
    I would go with medium. If you like the cockpit length of your BH, you should get the same feel from the Spectral M since the TT length is pretty much the same. The difference in wheelbase between your BH and the Spectral is pretty much due to the steeper seat angle, and I'm a big fan of steeper seat angles. There may be some cases where a longer bike has it's downsides, but the upside of the steeper seat angle makes it well worth it.

mtbr member
    I am absolutely dying to get the Spectral AL in that insane Hellfire color in a large. What I dont like is that it is listed as "sold out" and not available as an option on the email alerts. Perhaps I have missed my window on this one.
    2016 Specialized Stumpjumper 29

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I would be surprised if it was sold out. The black is supposed to be in stock soon so I'd bet more red will come with them. I really wanted the black but didn't want to wait but glad because the red is sick.

Tribe Member
    I have a buddy thinking about a Spectral. Can anyone give me some real world weights of a complete bike. He is most likely a large. But the money savings of the AL has him thinking about upgrades, camping/riding trips and beer.....
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by yetirich View Post
    I have a buddy thinking about a Spectral. Can anyone give me some real world weights of a complete bike. He is most likely a large. But the money savings of the AL has him thinking about upgrades, camping/riding trips and beer.....
    My Spectral AL 6 in size L was 13,65 Kg as it came out from the box (no pedals).

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    My Hellfire Red size Medium. Ordered it last Saturday, got it on Wednesday. Taken it on 2 rides in the Hawes trail system in Mesa AZ. It rips and climbs surprisingly well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Good to see your enjoying the bike, the more reviews the better.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thought I already posted this but don't see it so probably forgot to hit submit....

Anyone else have creaking coming from their saddle? I pulled the saddle off and confirmed that it's the saddle, and not the seatpost.

Here's a video:
    https://youtu.be/38BePGZi9sE

Canyon told me to go through the saddle supplier, which I emailed and they want me to send the saddle to them for analysis (at my expense). Not liking that option one bit. Not sure if I should try to lube the rail/saddle interface. Any suggestions?

Also, how close to "lock-out" do you guys get on the Pike with the LSC dial all the way clockwise? Just wanted to confirm that it's not supposed to lockout. Seems like the compression range of the dial is not very large.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Haven't had a problem with my saddle yet. But I only have about 20 miles on the bike so far. Just had more snow today so I'm back in the holding pattern waiting on dry weather.

As for the fork, it doesn't lockout for me. Turning all the way clockwise seems to slow down the rebound. Haven't played with it a whole lot though.

<Clarkson voice /ON> Right, sit-rep. <Clarkson voice /OFF> This thing is great. Had the Spectral out two times last week when it dried out. Only about 10 miles total. But it's been a lot of fun learning it's capabilities. I'll have to learn to trust it more with sharp switchbacks. The stability on the fast stuff is great. Overall I've really been enjoying it. Thursday, I beat two personal bests on Strava. And that's with being badly out of shape from not riding much since November or so. I can see lots of saddle time in my future.
    Maybe it's time to just go Dudes-of-Hazzard on the mountain, forget about the hassle of cleaning and just enjoy the ride.

Has anyone seen if the storage case for the front of the frame is available yet? I've looked around but haven't seen anything other than pictures.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Haven't had a problem with my saddle yet. But I only have about 20 miles on the bike so far. Just had more snow today so I'm back in the holding pattern waiting on dry weather.

As for the fork, it doesn't lockout for me. Turning all the way clockwise seems to slow down the rebound. Haven't played with it a whole lot though.
    Cool, thanks bro. Checked trail condition site and 2 people stated that local trail is good. Hope the reports weren't an April Fool's joke.... Going to head out there now, so stoked for my first real ride on the Al 6.0.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Just got back from my first real trail ride. There must be something wrong with my bike because I didn't set any PRs, ha ha.

I did one loop with a 70mm straight stem and another with a 60mm, both RF Aeffect R. I didn't feel that dropping to the 60mm was hurting comfort but I have to check where my seat ended up before I decide which to will keep. The stock 50mm stem felt too cramped, with the 60mm Aeffect the bars are 11mm further forward with no vertical change.

On the mostly singletrack trail I experienced quite a bit more pedal strikes than I with my old Klein and Fatbike; probably partially due to the CB Stamp pedals (I usually ride clipless) but it still seemed more than I'm used to. Doesn't look like a L frame would have improved that from the way I interpret the geo, correct?

I decreased SAG from 30 to 25 percent on the second loop and it may have helped a little but the ride felt harsher. Not sure if I should try adding another token and decreasing pressure or vise-versa to help with the peddle strikes.

It's my first bike with a dropper post and being able to lower the saddle going downhill was really nice. Drop-offs were butter-smooth and traction was awesome. On the second lap I hit a downed tree stump, fell off sideways, and got stopped by a tree. Have nice scrapes on both knees and my left elbow now. Bike was fine.

One thing I noticed when cleaning the bike after the ride was that I almost lost the dropper grommet that's down near the BB. It was barely hanging on the cable. Kind of annoying that that happened and I wish that Canyon would have included some spares because if it happened on the first ride it will probably disappear at some point.

Overall I'm happy with the bike, I just hope I can beat my $500 (used) 34lb fatbike times after losing my winter fat.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The grommet is on the back of the frame just about the bottom bracket. On mine the cable is routed down through the frame protectors, under the bottom bracket, and up through the grommet into the frame. It holds the cable really well so I'd be surprised if there was any cable slap.
    So that grommet fell out during my ride today... holy annoyances batman, how the heck did you manage to get it back into the frame? I've been struggling with it for the last 30 minutes and no luck. It just seems like the grommet is made for too big of an angle vs how the cable naturally wants to sit. What's worse is that I'm concerned it's going to fall out again. Have half-mind just to RTV the cable in place but I'm not sure if that will hold either...

mtbr member
    Overall I'm happy with the bike, I just hope I can beat my $500 (used) 34lb fatbike times after losing my winter fat.
    I know how you feel...one of my personal bests was on my fatbike.
    At the time, I attributed it to the Power of the Pugsley

Thanks for the ride report.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Spectral vs Pivot Mach 5.5

Anyone have any experience riding the Pivot Mach 5.5 and Spectral? How do they compare? Geo looks fairly similar in terms of stack, reach, HTA, STA, and wheelbase. I'm able to demo the Mach 5.5 at my LBS and was thinking I could use it to get an idea for how the Spectral would feel.

2018 Spectral Owners Thread-canyon-vs-pivot.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    So that grommet fell out during my ride today... holy annoyances batman, how the heck did you manage to get it back into the frame?
    Trying to write this without the potential for a "that's what she said" is tough. I started with the grommet locked around the cable. From there I slipped it up the cable and had to work it around until it popped into place. If I remember correctly, it has a lip on the back that should pop out around the inside of the frame and lock it in place. You might try some soapy water on it to lubricate it.

A large frame probably wouldn't help you with pedal strikes. In the few rides I've had it out, I've learned that I need to watch where/when I pedal. Compared to my Giant Talon, the BB is a lot lower than I am used to. I've got more than a few strike marks on my nice new Stamps too. It's becoming clear that pedal placement over obstacles is important.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018 Spectral Owners Thread-img_20180310_090657.jpg  

2018 Spectral Owners Thread-img_20180331_162058.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Trying to write this without the potential for a "that's what she said" is tough. I started with the grommet locked around the cable. From there I slipped it up the cable and had to work it around until it popped into place. If I remember correctly, it has a lip on the back that should pop out around the inside of the frame and lock it in place. You might try some soapy water on it to lubricate it.

A large frame probably wouldn't help you with pedal strikes. In the few rides I've had it out, I've learned that I need to watch where/when I pedal. Compared to my Giant Talon, the BB is a lot lower than I am used to. I've got more than a few strike marks on my nice new Stamps too. It's becoming clear that pedal placement over obstacles is important.
    That grommet is a pain to install. I had to pull off the horrible KS Lev SI and getting that thing back in was difficult. I worked it on the cable and patiently worked it back in. In hindsight it may be easier to lube the cable the slide it in.....

Pedal strikes are a definite thing to watch out for. I just upgraded to X0 cranks on mine and went with 170mm......not that 5mm will be much help. Still a great bike and loving it so far...... The Maxxis tires on mine seem very fragile though.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    That grommet is a pain to install. I had to pull off the horrible KS Lev SI and getting that thing back in was difficult. I worked it on the cable and patiently worked it back in. In hindsight it may be easier to lube the cable the slide it in.....

Pedal strikes are a definite thing to watch out for. I just upgraded to X0 cranks on mine and went with 170mm......not that 5mm will be much help. Still a great bike and loving it so far...... The Maxxis tires on mine seem very fragile though.
    Why don't you like the KS? Did you get it replaced yet? No issues with mine what-so-ever; I actually prefer it to the Reverb but I really haven't had much time with either yet so my dataset is small.

I finally got it back in yesterday after taking off the rear wheel and putting it on a stand so I could work it better. As you mentioned, I had to first put it around the cable and slide it up while pushing the cable away from the frame so it could get into the hole at the proper angle. I really hope it stays put because I don't want to have to deal with that again.

It's going to take me a while to get used to the low BB; i guess it's good that I ended up getting the Al Stamps also instead of a nylon set.

On a different topic, the rear brake lever on mine was feeling a little softer than the front, and I could get the level to touch the handlebar with a good one-finger squeeze (rear wheel was locked up by that point though). I did not like this so I did a brake bleed but it didn't help. Luckily I found this video and it seems to have done the trick: https://youtu.be/WSjsFxrcfZw

Next order of business is to remove the "dork disk"... although you can barely see it behind that giant cassette!

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Did you try turning the adjustment screw on the brake lever? I had the same thing happening, turned the screw a few clicks and it adjusted the engagement of the brake earlier in the pull.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I've bought AL 7.0 medium size, so I though I'll share my thought on the bike.

Quality:
    - The frame is not painted properly in few places (this is very minor) and it even has a little dent in one place, about 2mm across.
    - I have an 2x drive train version and the front der cable is routed not on the opposite side of the head tube - this is a cable routing error. It cannot be routed on the opposite side because of how holes are made in in the plastic cable cover. One redundant hole is there in the cover but on the left side not on the right..
    - The plastic cable cover that goes under the bottom frame tube is very cheap, made of cheap, hard plastic that I'm sure will be destroyed by stones hitting it. In one place the plastic pieces don't come together perfectly and they make a hole that is an entrance for dirt - looks like the dirt will collect there. It would be enough the make the pieces come together not at an angle but with straight faces like other pieces next to them to get rid of the issue... The plastic cover also ends when the BB starts. It should extend that few cm further to protect the BB area. I really think that this needs to be redesigned and that the current owners should get new cable cover for free.
    - Rear rotor is far to close to chain stay and it is hard to put the wheel on without hitting the frame with the rotor. Paint will be scratched. Rotor might be bent.
    - There is an integrated cable routing guide/chain stay protector on the drive train side. This is pointless. It weight more that neoprene protector and protects less. It would be better to just make cable routing zip ties attachment points on the frame. I will probably get rid of this and use zip ties to route the cable.
    - A very minor thing but I would move the bottle cage attachment points a little lower. It would be much easier to fit a water bottle on a medium frame. Still I have managed to fit one in my frame.
    - I like the fact the the bearings are covered by those little plates but cant commend on how this will actually affect bearings wear.
    - Finish is not there on pair with other brands. Giant has a carbon rocker link and smoothed welds for example and much better paint finish

Overall the frame quality is lacking. Looks like they have designed a solid platform and than left details to an intern. However, It might be that they have focused on carbon version, that the carbon version might not have a rotor/chain stay issue, that the quality is better there and that there are no routing issues without front der. Still this is not an excuse.

Sizing:
    Sizing is odd. I'm 170 cm tall (5.6) and I'm glad I bought medium. I think I might not even fit on a small frame. At the same time my dropper is slammed almost all the way down in the frame. Looks like the reach/height of the bike is oddly matched. If you have problems deciding on which size to go for than go for the reach.

Ride:
    This is were things are much better. I like the geometry of the bike very much. The bike is stiff (feels overbuild for a trail bike - but this is not a bad thing in my case) and descend really well. It does not seem to be bothered by the line choices at all. Still it climbs well. There is some bob in the larger ring on flat sections, but less bob on steep climbs in the lower front ring.
    The frame works very well. The Pike has to much LSC for my liking and feels harsh at low speeds but comes to live when going fast.

Other:
    - Where is the canyon bag that the bike was advertised with? It was not included with the package. The bike has 3 attachment points within the front triangle next to head tube for that bag.
    - The frame lacks ICSG mount. I think that every trail bike should have a bash guard. You will hit things with chain rings for sure.

The changes I've made so far to the bike:
    - Race Face next handlebar with 10mm rise, and got rid of all the spacers below the stem. I will cut the steerer for sure.
    - XT rear cassette.
    - Got rid of tubes.
    - Upgraded rear hub to 54 ratchet.
    - Disconnected the spring at the bottom of KS LEV dropper - the lever
    is so much nicer to operate this way.
    - Changed the 26 tooth small ring on the crankset to 24. Might try 22 as the bikes climbs very well on very steep slopes.

Overall this is a very capable trail bike. There are some good ideas that are poorly engineered but in places that are not critical - this is annoying but should not affect performance. The sizing is odd.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jernejk View Post
    My Spectral AL 6 in size L was 13,65 Kg as it came out from the box (no pedals).
    Is that with the reflector kit installed?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BHerd View Post
    Did you try turning the adjustment screw on the brake lever? I had the same thing happening, turned the screw a few clicks and it adjusted the engagement of the brake earlier in the pull.

My bike came with the Guide R brakes that only have the reach adjustment, unfortunately no contact point adjustment.

I could extend the reach but then it wouldn't be as easy to reach

Just to clarify, the rear wheel would lock up before the lever reached the handlebar so braking power was not an issue, it was the fact that front and rear brakes had a different ramp-up.

Peace!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Is that with the reflector kit installed?
    Of course not... 😁

mtbr member
    Anyone have any experience riding the Pivot Mach 5.5 and Spectral? How do they compare? Geo looks fairly similar in terms of stack, reach, HTA, STA, and wheelbase. I'm able to demo the Mach 5.5 at my LBS and was thinking I could use it to get an idea for how the Spectral would feel.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	canyon vs pivot.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	1191101
    Where did you find a page to compare those two bikes? Im also interested in both bikes. Ive read some of the reviews of the 5.5 not being a very play full bike. Now the Spectral is a 150R/140F bike and the 5.5 is a 140R/160F....
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    Where did you find a page to compare those two bikes?
    https://geometrygeeks.bike/ is your friend

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Michal View Post

Other:
    - Where is the canyon bag that the bike was advertised with? It was not included with the package. The bike has 3 attachment points within the front triangle next to head tube for that bag.
    Canyon calls that the "frame case" on their advertisements. I sent them an email about that a few days ago and just received the reply. They say they are expecting this item to be in stock in June.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Where did you find a page to compare those two bikes? Im also interested in both bikes. Ive read some of the reviews of the 5.5 not being a very play full bike. Now the Spectral is a 150R/140F bike and the 5.5 is a 140R/160F....
    I had a chance to ride the 5.5 this past weekend. I was on the Pro XT/XTR 1x build with the DT Swiss 1700 35mm rims. You're correct when you say its not a playful bike. I found it to be pretty sluggish on the climbs. It seemed like I had to work extra hard to clear climbs that normally aren't hard for me on my BH Lynx 4.829. Given I don't have a ton of experience riding 27.5 bikes, I was surprised that the smaller wheels didn't accelerate as well as I thought they would. I'm wondering if that's more of a function of the increased rotating weight of the wheels with the heavier rims and 2.6 in rubber rather than the size of the wheels. The LBS owner who I demo'd from said most people who buy the 5.5 from him upgrade to lighter carbon wheels pretty quickly.

Whats been everyone's experience climbing and accelerating on the Spectral? Anyone have any experience riding a 27.5 with a lighter rim/tire combo that didn't feel slow? Riding the 5.5 didn't give me much confidence to pull the trigger on the Spectral as I really didn't enjoy it.

mtbr member
    Let's not forget suspension design...it's not all Geo.
    Seems like all 5 design stats are quite different (between the Pivot 5.5 and the Spectral).

Including Leverage Ratio Graph below.
    Stats provided by Linkage Design
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018 Spectral Owners Thread-leverage.png  

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Let's not forget suspension design...it's not all Geo.
    Seems like all 5 design stats are quite different (between the Pivot 5.5 and the Spectral).

Including Leverage Ratio Graph below.
    Stats provided by Linkage Design
    What does this mean in terms of how each bike will ride?

mtbr member
    Purchasing a bike without having the ability to demo is a pretty large hurdle.
    Just pointing out that suspension design also needs to be considered.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Purchasing a bike without having the ability to demo is a pretty large hurdle.
    Just pointing out that suspension design also needs to be considered.
    Definitely agree. And its clear that the Spectral and 5.5 are different in all of the suspension stats. Just curious, since I'm not well versed on these metrics, how they translate to differences in ride quality and how each bike handles.

mtbr member
    I had a chance to ride the 5.5 this past weekend. I was on the Pro XT/XTR 1x build with the DT Swiss 1700 35mm rims. You're correct when you say its not a playful bike. I found it to be pretty sluggish on the climbs. It seemed like I had to work extra hard to clear climbs that normally aren't hard for me on my BH Lynx 4.829. Given I don't have a ton of experience riding 27.5 bikes, I was surprised that the smaller wheels didn't accelerate as well as I thought they would. I'm wondering if that's more of a function of the increased rotating weight of the wheels with the heavier rims and 2.6 in rubber rather than the size of the wheels. The LBS owner who I demo'd from said most people who buy the 5.5 from him upgrade to lighter carbon wheels pretty quickly.

Whats been everyone's experience climbing and accelerating on the Spectral? Anyone have any experience riding a 27.5 with a lighter rim/tire combo that didn't feel slow? Riding the 5.5 didn't give me much confidence to pull the trigger on the Spectral as I really didn't enjoy it.
    My buddy rides a mojo 3 with 2.6 front and rear and it's a real playful bike. A different beast than the 5.5 or Spectral though.
    My only time riding a mojo 3 was with plus tires which I'm not a fan of, but it was a poppy bike.

my church is the woods
    I have a Spectral AL6.0 on the way. Do the wheels come taped for tubeless? Does it come with tubeless valve stems?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Mine came taped with tubes and valve stems were in the box.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Another question for yall: have any of you raced/plan on racing the Spectral? If so, what discipline?

I've always been a pretty casual racer so the do-everything bike philosophy definitely applies, but I like entering the occasional XC and maybe enduro.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Howdy all!
    I'm looking to buy the Al 6.0 but its been saying "coming soon" on the large sizes, last time I saw they came in stock they sold out fast so I want to be on top of it this time. Anyone know roughly what the turn around time for "coming soon" is?

Also second question, to any of the Al owners do you feel like there was anything that really needed to be upgraded right out of the gates?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyMntMonkey View Post
    Howdy all!
    I'm looking to buy the Al 6.0 but its been saying "coming soon" on the large sizes, last time I saw they came in stock they sold out fast so I want to be on top of it this time. Anyone know roughly what the turn around time for "coming soon" is?

Also second question, to any of the Al owners do you feel like there was anything that really needed to be upgraded right out of the gates?

Thanks!
    I was looking for the 6.0 for my son and spoke to Canyon. They said they were getting stock in mid April and again at the end of April but couldn't give exact dates. They recommended signing up on their website for notification. When they arrive they will let you know and then it is first come first serve.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyMntMonkey View Post
    Howdy all!

Thanks!
    I heard next in stock early May and consistent deliveries through May (as of yesterday morning)

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I got an email the other day telling me a size medium AL 6.0 was available, but it was gone within 2 hours. I just randomly checked this morning and it was available again, so I ordered it. I'm guessing it was a return or cancelled order for stock to change so quickly, and on just one size of bike. Anyway, I'm pretty excited for a new bike!

Can anyone tell me if this bike comes with a water bottle cage? I think I read somewhere that only a specifically designed cage works with it, but I'm not sure.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by bl858 View Post
    I got an email the other day telling me a size medium AL 6.0 was available, but it was gone within 2 hours. I just randomly checked this morning and it was available again, so I ordered it. I'm guessing it was a return or cancelled order for stock to change so quickly, and on just one size of bike. Anyway, I'm pretty excited for a new bike!

Can anyone tell me if this bike comes with a water bottle cage? I think I read somewhere that only a specifically designed cage works with it, but I'm not sure.
    It doesn't come with a cage, but you can mount a standard cage. A large bottle won't fit (at least a large Camelback Podium won't). I picked up a Lyzene side load cage similar to the one Canyon is supposed to be offering soon. Another thing to consider is the bike doesn't come with the mounting screws, it just has rubber plugs in the holes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Lucked out and slipped into the window to buy a Large Spectral Al 6.0 in Red last weekend! Just took her out for a first ride this weekend, here's the recap (coming from an '06 SC Heckler as my previous bike so take this with a grain of salt):

Pros:
    - wow this thing is comfortable at speed
    - suspension felt dialed from the get-go. Hit some pretty big rock gardens and it never felt too harsh
    - really solid pedal platform and susp performance under braking. never touched the lockout on the shock.
    - the 2.6" Minion up front has tons of grip. the Rekon out back a bit less so, but I kinda like it that way.
    - felt comfortable climbing up rolling singletrack. I felt a bit slower but my strava says otherwise
    - at 6' with a 32" inseam the large is just small enough for my legs. cockpit felt nice and roomy, even with 800mm bars
    - the front end felt way stiffer than I'm used to

Cons:
    - downhill switchbacks were a bit tricky, mainly just getting used to the long wheelbase
    - need to swap out the grips, they felt a bit thin for my hands
    - the Guide

Side note: I'm pretty sure Canyon shipped me a defective stem (see my post in the Components section), since it has no slot to allow the stem to tighten on the bars. I reached out to them on Friday, hoping for a response early next week. In the meantime, using the Hussefelt from my old bike.

mtbr member
    May 2009

Anyone know what color touch-up for the red?

Went out for my second real trail-ride of the season yesterday. Still slow from the fat-buildup over the winter but the ride was a lot of fun. When I got back I noticed a set of chips on the bottom of the chainstay (see photo). So bummed but it reinforces my decision to sticking with aluminum. Looks like the the chain did this? Not quite sure when this happened because I never heard any chain-slap. I'm thinking this actually occurred on the last ride when I wiped out and I just didn't notice it. Either way, I'd like to touch up the chips. Anyone check to see what automotive "dupli-color" matches best? I'm also thinking of throwing some electrical tape around the chainstay to hopefully prevent this in the future.

On this ride I noticed that my right heel was clipping the seat-stay on occasion. I will try to adjust my cleats inward to hopefully eliminate this. On the other hand, no pedal-strikes with the CB candy pedals vs the Stamps.

Still trying to dial in the Pike for max sensitivity. It felt pretty good on the first ride but it was using most of the travel so I put a little more air in. This ended up making it bounce around too much on climbs.
    2018 Spectral Owners Thread-20180421_173815.jpg2018 Spectral Owners Thread-20180421_173452.jpg

Mtn View, CA
    I demo'd a small Spectral at SeaOtter yesterday and it felt good at 5'6" and 30"-ish inseam. I was worried about the seat post but it felt good with the post slammed all the way down. It felt pretty light and then I realized I was riding the CF 9.0 SL. I have more of a CF 8.0 budget. I checked fit of a regular 20oz water bottle and cage and it just fits in the lower position. It would have to be a side loading cage.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Missed out on Sea Otter...any idea when the 2018 Spectral 6.0 AL will
    be in the states...large?
    Signed up for notification but nothing as of yet.

mtbr member
    Well the blacked out CF 8.0 are selling out fast...How bad is the Forrest flare color in person?
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Well the blacked out CF 8.0 are selling out fast...How bad is the Forrest flare color in person?
    Personal preference but I didn't find it offensive. It's greyish with a hint of green and the stripe is a orange... under fluorescent light I thought the stripe was too much but in natural light it looked fine.

my church is the woods

New Bike Day

First ride on the new Spectral. 15 miles of central PA singletrack. On a large, which I had to swap the stock 150mm dropper to a 125mm dropper because it was about 12mm too high for me at full insertion and full extension. I'm 182cm tall.

Set it up tubeless from the start. Rims were taped, but no valve stems included. I put in some red AC stems, Stans, and aired up nice and easy. Not sure why they spec the 3C rubber on the rear, very grippy, but will wear out quickly.

I love the fit, longer reach than my Remedy, and pedals better too. Still have to get the fork dialed, seems very stiff, even though it's 5psi lower than recommended for my weight. Also would like to put a volume spacer in the rear shock as it bottoms too easily for my taste.

Low bottom bracket had me smacking pedals a lot on the rocky trails. It got better over the ride as I became more conscious of it and was more careful. I definitely recommend getting crank boots for protection. I use the small race face ones. 170mm cranks would be nice instead of the stock 175's too.

Another thing I notice is the GX Eagle rear derailleur cage is lower to the ground than the Shimano XT on my Remedy. I'm nervous about it picking up sticks and tweaking it. I lock the rear brake and stop for every little stick I catch back there.

Surprised at how much I like the brakes, coming from XT's. The Guide R have good modulation, and can lock them up with one finger.

Now I have to decide which bike to keep and which to sell, the Spectral or the Remedy....

2018 Spectral Owners Thread-20180426_162840.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks for the report. My bike(s) came with valve stems for tubeless so maybe check the box again or give them a call and have them send you out a pair. Still running tubes on mine cause I want to see if I'll be able to tell the difference in ride when I ditch the tubes.

How do the two bikes stack-up in terms of weight?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Both called and emailed Canyon. Response was that they will not have touch-up paint for this years' Spectral and suggested finding a close match in either nail-polish (?) or automotive touch-up paint. If I find an exceptional match I'll post about it. If anyone beats me to it please let me know. Thanks!

mtbr member
    I ordered mine today, I am stoked. I demoed it at Sea Otter and loved it. '

Before I rode one, I had some concerns about the taller headtube, but it felt great climbing and descending. I want to try slamming the stem as much as possible, so I can get more weight over the front end when cornering aggressively downhill, so I plan to put the 12mm spacer to be on top of the stem. I think it will be pretty sweet stock, but am considering a 10mm rise handlebar on the XL instead of the 20mm.

Quote Originally Posted by gddyap View Post
    ...I checked fit of a regular 20oz water bottle and cage and it just fits in the lower position. It would have to be a side loading cage.
    Anyone know if a 24 oz bottle will fit in an XL frame, with or without a side loading cage? The customer service rep I talked to said he thought the XL should do fine with a top load cage and a 20oz bottle, so I am optimistic I can just use my existing 24 oz bottles and cage.

The frame case, for storing a few small things in the front triangle, may be available in a couple months from the US site, according to customer service. This is my first bike with a dropper, so I am thinking about storing stuff on the bike, and I don't really want my multi-tool in my pocket.
    Last edited by b rock; 04-30-2018 at 04:35 PM.

Columbus, GA
    I'm looking at getting a new bike and this one is high up on the list, but the BB height and complaints of pedal strikes is a bit of a hangup. I wish I could ride it beforehand. Does anyone know the BB height or can you measure it for me?

my church is the woods

bb

12.8" bottom bracket, measured static (off the bike)
    Last edited by moonraker; 05-02-2018 at 11:48 AM. Reason: words

Columbus, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by moonraker View Post
    12.8" bottom bracket, measured static (off the bike)
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Anyone get any updates on the Al 6.0?

Im tempted to pull the trigger on a new stumpy.
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Been doing more and more riding as the weather has gotten nicer. At this point I'm definitely running into a wall of my own skills and not faults of the bike. In the past week, I've blasted down hills and trails at speeds I would have balked at just 6 months ago. I said it before and I'll say it again. This bike is seriously confidence boosting.
    An example. Tuesday night was the local group ride. We did about 8.9 miles with 1170ft of climbing. I tended to lag in the middle of the group on the climbs but was able to keep up with the front on descents. The climbing issues are purely me. Gotta work on my high-output endurance. The descents however are where the Spectral really shines. It's stable, fast, nimble. The longer wheelbase than my Giant Talon has really helps with keeping my weight over the rear tire on steep, slow downhill sections. One of the new personal bests was a tricky, switchback downhill section.
    The more I ride it, the harder I find myself pushing into the berms and pedaling out. It's just so much fun to link consecutive turns while weaving through the trees.
    I've been mostly happy with the brakes. The stopping power is great. They modulate well too without being too grabby. I'd like for the levers to not be so flopping in the resting position though. After I adjusted the reach to my liking, there is a little bit of movement in the lever opposite the direction of pull. If you push out on the levers with your fingers, it feels like they are just spring loaded. (I'm guessing that's just how they work) Not a big deal. It just feels a little sloppy to me.
    I also still find myself having pedal strikes occasionally. Again, that's me. I'm still learning to backpedal or keep the pedals level over tall obstacles. It's not really a fault of the bike, just something to get used to. And the breakover angle isn't as good as I had hoped. You really see this when you try to ride over a tree that is down across the trail.
    But despite this, I'd still highly recommend the Spectral. It's a hard-to-beat package for the price. I also like that it's unique here in the States. One of the guys from the Tuesday ride said mine was the first he'd seen in person.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018 Spectral Owners Thread-img_20180430_181817.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Looking to pick one of these up. What other bikes do you guys recommend trying out for sizing purposes that would be close to this 2018 Spectral?
    Last edited by Dragonv; 05-04-2018 at 05:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonv View Post
    Looking to pic one of these up. What other bikes do you guys recommend try out for sizing purposes that would be close to this 2018 Spectral?
    This is a list of bikes I could think of, the Spectral is unique because of its high stack and long seat tube compared to other bikes. The closest might be the Yeti sb5 or sb6. BTW I used a large frame in my search
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018 Spectral Owners Thread-screenshot-7-.jpg  

2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I just took a 2019 Stumpjumper (on 29er tires) out on demo and the size M seemed like a great fit for me. I am usually in between a S or M on most bikes. So my question is what size should I be look at with the 2018 Spectral since I can't demo it. How does the sizing of the Spectral compare to the sizing of the Stumpjumper, should I just go with the M as the Medium of the Stumpjumper was a good fit?

mtbr member
    The medium Spectral would be the best option.
    The Reach numbers are almost the same (see attached pic from geometrygeeks).
    The Spectral headtube is 20mm taller = less spacers below the spectral stem or switch to flat bar if you want a lower position.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018 Spectral Owners Thread-stumpjumper.png  

mtbr member
    Dang, I was just on the site yesterday and they had Large comps, went back today and sold out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    My CF 8.0 should show up tomorrow! I waited for the stealth scheme. I just wasn't feeling the forest flame, at least on the web page. Might be nicer in person.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I'm in the same position as Omegaman: I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam; the Canyon fit calculator recommended a size medium. I snagged a red Spectral AL 6 size M last week, and it arrived on Friday.

My other bike is a '17 Stache 5 in size 18.5", which I've been very happy with. Interestingly, the dimensions of the Spectral's cockpit are almost identical to those of the Stache--the BB is the same height above the ground, and the BB to top-of-seat-tube and top-of-seat-tube to top-of-steerer tube distances are almost exactly the same. (Obviously, other aspects of the geometries are very different between the 29"+ Stache hardtail and the 27.5" full-suss Spectral). On both bikes i have the seat pushed back as far as it will go. The Stache's stem is 70mm and the Spectral's is 50mm, so the effective reach is a bit shorter on the Spectral; swapping out the stem will fix that. I used to wish I'd gotten a 19.5" Stache, but I've gotten used to the 18.5". I suspect I'd get used to the M Spectral, too.

But I'm thinking about ordering a size L Spectral (if they are ever in stock), comparing it to the M, keeping the one I like better and sending back the other. I haven't taken the M any further than my driveway, and it still has the bubblewrap, hangtags, and other shipping accoutrements attached to it so I can return it for a refund if that's what I decide to do.

Size aside, I like the red color much more than I thought I was going to; it looks great in person. Sort of a cranberry-ish red. The bike arrived in perfect condition--no dings, chips, mars in the paint, etc.

mtbr member
    First post, just wanted to join the cool club. Just ordered a medium stealth CF 8.0 and opted for 2 day shipping.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Blister View Post
    I'm in the same position as Omegaman: I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam; the Canyon fit calculator recommended a size medium. I snagged a red Spectral AL 6 size M last week, and it arrived on Friday.

My other bike is a '17 Stache 5 in size 18.5", which I've been very happy with. Interestingly, the dimensions of the Spectral's cockpit are almost identical to those of the Stache--the BB is the same height above the ground, and the BB to top-of-seat-tube and top-of-seat-tube to top-of-steerer tube distances are almost exactly the same. (Obviously, other aspects of the geometries are very different between the 29"+ Stache hardtail and the 27.5" full-suss Spectral). On both bikes i have the seat pushed back as far as it will go. The Stache's stem is 70mm and the Spectral's is 50mm, so the effective reach is a bit shorter on the Spectral; swapping out the stem will fix that. I used to wish I'd gotten a 19.5" Stache, but I've gotten used to the 18.5". I suspect I'd get used to the M Spectral, too.

But I'm thinking about ordering a size L Spectral (if they are ever in stock), comparing it to the M, keeping the one I like better and sending back the other. I haven't taken the M any further than my driveway, and it still has the bubblewrap, hangtags, and other shipping accoutrements attached to it so I can return it for a refund if that's what I decide to do.

Size aside, I like the red color much more than I thought I was going to; it looks great in person. Sort of a cranberry-ish red. The bike arrived in perfect condition--no dings, chips, mars in the paint, etc.
    Did you get a email saying one was available? or just dumb luck? Im starting to wonder if aluminum models are ever going to show up.
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    2018 Spectral Owners Thread-rsx3vkjmqzixdajw%25lufga.jpg only had two rides on it, still getting used to it but all in all my time going up improved by two minutes and by my standards that's a big improvement

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Did you get a email saying one was available? or just dumb luck? Im starting to wonder if aluminum models are ever going to show up.
    I have a Chrome extension set up to alert me when the "coming soon" page changes. I just got the alert [5/7/2018, 6:16 pm Central]. I ordered a large in stealth (no red larges, sadly). I'll see how the large compares to the medium.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast