Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Nermiez View Post
    Well, that unfortunately sounds very familiar. I had the same thing happen to my AL 6.0 earlier this summer. The shock bolt worked its way completely out and ended up resting on the seatstay. I had cracks in the same place. Canyon replaced it under warranty of course, but I had to pack the whole bike back up and send it to California from CT. This was also in the middle of the chainstay recall really ramping up too, so all told I was without a bike for ~5weeks.

Shortly afterwards my main pivot bolt also worked its way out (exactly as pictured). Canyon sent me replacement pivot bolt caps.

My take-away from this is that I religiously check all bolt torques every couple of rides. Replacing the chainstay allowed me to put loctite and grease in all the right places, and torque everything down again. For what it's worth, my riding buddies ride a Vitus and a YT and they've had to check on loosening bolts too. New England is surprisingly tough on bikes; rock gardens, huge roots, drops, etc are par for the course (it's great haha).

After you get through this, I'd just invest in a good torque wrench and keep an eye on things a little more closely.
    I bought a decent craftsman torque wrench (was like $40 well worth it) after the first time it came loose. I keep it packed with my kit in the car. Wasnít expecting it to loosen so quick, but Iíll def keep a closer eye on it.

The bike mech. I had check it out mentioned possibly using green loctite, but suggested talking with Canyon before doing so to make sure the bolt could handle the extra torque required to break it. He said the hex socket felt deep enough to keep it from stripping the bolt head but thinks thatís more of a last resort option.

mtbr member
    Man, what the heck is wrong with Canyon this year?
    The late delivery thing.
    And they always had some chain or seat stay crack issues but not to this extent.
    I'm suprised that all of you stay so calm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nateffb View Post
    I noticed it after washing the bike. The bike ran great, I didnít even notice that bolt like that while riding park. That is the replaced chainstay pictured, but it did it with the old one as well. When I replaced it I was super careful to keep the grease and loctite separate. I even cleaned the threads in the frame as best I could.

I took it to a LBS and they said it could be that the bearings are being compressed and the bolt is pivoting. He reassembled with park tool blue loctite, it could be that my loctite is incorrect type. Retorqueing wouldnít be a big deal if it werenít on the drive side. Having to take the crank off every time is a pain.

Canyon has already contacted me about a replacement seat stay, and they brought to my attention that a previous photo I sent them weeks ago for a replacement pivot cap that I had lost had the crack then(not entirely noticeable then, but I saw it when looking for it). So props to them for being on it so quick, and trying to get me back on the bike ASAP.
    Man, that is scary... the bike is coming apart and it is hard to notice while riding.

It probably depends on the size of the bike and specific cranks, but I didn't have to remove my cranks to torque my drive side main pivot. I had a set of extra long hex bits for my torque wrench.

So, it looks like I am going to be taking my dust caps off and on a lot to check these bolts too... will it break the loctite if I am just checking the torque... "gently"?

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by b rock View Post
    Man, that is scary... the bike is coming apart and it is hard to notice while riding.

It probably depends on the size of the bike and specific cranks, but I didn't have to remove my cranks to torque my drive side main pivot. I had a set of extra long hex bits for my torque wrench.

So, it looks like I am going to be taking my dust caps off and on a lot to check these bolts too... will it break the loctite if I am just checking the torque... "gently"?
    Iím going to take a closer look and see if I can get a longer hex to check the torque through the chain ring, would save a bit of hassle that way. As far as checking torque, if itís holding then you shouldnít break the loctite at the correct torque. If the bolt has loosened any the loctite would be considered broken free at that point I would assume.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by b rock View Post

If you are using a torque wrench at the correct setting you shouldn't even budge the bolts if they are torqued correctly, thus not breaking the locktite. If you are manually bumping them with an allen, you are over torquing the bolts which is just as bad as being too loose in the long run.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I replaced the chainstain on my Spectral over the weekend. It was not very difficult but I did have some trouble lining up the LHS main pivot bolt. All the original bolts were still tight when I removed them, including the main pivot. How do you folks know when they are backing out? Do you remove the covers to check after your rides? I'll probably do that now after a couple of rides to make sure that they are staying put. Also, do you guys know if they're OK with just getting the aluminum piece back? I'd like to keep the horst link caps and chain-guard for spares.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegaman007 View Post
    Also, do you guys know if they're OK with just getting the aluminum piece back? I'd like to keep the horst link caps and chain-guard for spares.
    I stripped mine down to the bare aluminum and sent it back, keeping all the parts for spares. I received my $100 credit, no questions asked.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Howíd they give you the credit? They gave you a coupon code or something? Am thinking of getting some Canyon merchandise and use the credit to pay for it 😜
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Blister View Post
    I stripped mine down to the bare aluminum and sent it back, keeping all the parts for spares. I received my $100 credit, no questions asked.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by McCooleet View Post
    Howíd they give you the credit? They gave you a coupon code or something? Am thinking of getting some Canyon merchandise and use the credit to pay for it 😜
    Good question. First, I received an email telling they had received the chainstay and asking me to submit an LBS receipt if I wanted reimbursement for the LBS labor. I replied that I did the work myself. Canyon replied, saying they were crediting my "account" $100. I haven't tried to spend it yet. If they ever have a Spectral 6 in my wife's size in stock, I plan to call and ask them to apply the credit to that purchase. Till then, the $100 in my "account" is purely notional.

mtbr member

Spectral with Chain Guide?

It seems Joe Barnes has a chain guide on his Spectral. I messaged Canyon about it, but no response from them. How??

https://goo.gl/x6vTYf

2018 Spectral Owners Thread-screen-shot-2018-10-02-1.29.57-pm.jpg

mtbr member

230x65mm shock fits!

If anyone is interested, I got a 2019 Fox X2 230x65mm and it fits just fine with no clearance issues on my Medium frame. There's about 1/2" of rear wheel clearance at full compression, and the shock with reservoir up (only way it will mount), leaves about 3/8" clearance at full compression.

My best guess as far as travel with the 65mm stroke is ~152mm. I used the "bike upside down" method. Measuring with the stock 60mm shock, I got an exact 140mm. With the 65mm stroke, I got 152mm. It was very difficult to compress the shock fully and measure at the same time, so it might actually be a little more. I may give it another shot later and will update with a ride report when I can.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanus View Post
    If anyone is interested, I got a 2019 Fox X2 230x65mm and it fits just fine with no clearance issues on my Medium frame. There's about 1/2" of rear wheel clearance at full compression, and the shock with reservoir up (only way it will mount), leaves about 3/8" clearance at full compression.

My best guess as far as travel with the 65mm stroke is ~152mm. I used the "bike upside down" method. Measuring with the stock 60mm shock, I got an exact 140mm. With the 65mm stroke, I got 152mm. It was very difficult to compress the shock fully and measure at the same time, so it might actually be a little more. I may give it another shot later and will update with a ride report when I can.
    I actually just converted my stock Deluxe to 65mm stroke last night. Just had to lower the IFP according to the service manual specs and carefully cut a 5mm spacer off the piston shaft. Im on size XL and also have a half inch of space between the wheel and seat post.

Void Ab Initio
    So, has anyone actually received their credit yet? I also got the email that they had received my chainstay and that I had $100 on "account." I have placed my order and let them know, but no credit yet and it's been right about a week.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CopeSe7en View Post
    I actually just converted my stock Deluxe to 65mm stroke last night. Just had to lower the IFP according to the service manual specs and carefully cut a 5mm spacer off the piston shaft. Im on size XL and also have a half inch of space between the wheel and seat post.
    Awesome! RockShox makes it so easy. No way to do that with the Fox DPS mine came with. Anyone interested in a DPS? ;-)

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Awesome! RockShox makes it so easy. No way to do that with the Fox DPS mine came with. Anyone interested in a DPS? ;-)
    https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=861
    Spacer: Metric Travel [.360 ID X .550 OD X 5.0mm TLG] 6061, Black Ano)

THe part sheet looks like all the same parts for the 60 and 65mm stroke shocks, It also lists a 2.5 and 5mm travel spacer. If you look in the air can there should be a spacer/stroke reducer on the piston shaft. https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=861

It looks like its metal and probably cant be cut off so you would have to basically do a full 200 hour rebuild to get to it. Then just lower the IFP to the 230x65 specs when resembling.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrack990 View Post
    So, has anyone actually received their credit yet? I also got the email that they had received my chainstay and that I had $100 on "account." I have placed my order and let them know, but no credit yet and it's been right about a week.
    Whis is what I got back in an email from Canyon: "
    Feel free to place your order and let us know after the fact so that we can submit the $100 credit back to your card on file after the purchase has been made."

Quote Originally Posted by McCooleet View Post
    Howíd they give you the credit? They gave you a coupon code or something? Am thinking of getting some Canyon merchandise and use the credit to pay for it 
    See above...seems like they just keep it on file and it's done manually after an order is placed.

Email back from support confirmed that they're cool with me keeping the spare bits.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    So I was looking to change the rear shock on my spectral to a Super Deluxe coil, why am I having such a hard time trying to find an online dealer that sells these?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by breezy23 View Post
    So I was looking to change the rear shock on my spectral to a Super Deluxe coil, why am I having such a hard time trying to find an online dealer that sells these?
    https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pag...0deluxe%20coil

They have 230 by 60 and 65 stroke. If you want 152mm of travel get the 65 stroke as mentioned a couple comments above. The descriptions mention specific bikes so call them and to make sure they dont have some custom tune or something unexpected.

mtbr member
    https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=861
    Spacer: Metric Travel [.360 ID X .550 OD X 5.0mm TLG] 6061, Black Ano)

THe part sheet looks like all the same parts for the 60 and 65mm stroke shocks, It also lists a 2.5 and 5mm travel spacer. If you look in the air can there should be a spacer/stroke reducer on the piston shaft. https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=861

It looks like its metal and probably cant be cut off so you would have to basically do a full 200 hour rebuild to get to it. Then just lower the IFP to the 230x65 specs when resembling.
    Very cool info! But honestly, probably not something most of us could handle without special tools and experience. Have you tried to measure the travel increase now that you are at 65mm stroke now?

From a previous post of mine, I found a couple insights into the travel change:

Apparently, it will increase the rear travel to 151mm. This was taken from a comment from an analysis of the Spectral's suspension kinematics

It remains in 151mm approximately and with a cover of 2.3-2.4 I think that there will be no problem, but if you cover covers of 2.6-2.8 I think they are too close to the saddle tube. These issues should always be checked in reality to be sure there is enough margin ...
    But on another analysis site, it was mentioned the travel would be increased to 156mm:

It could admit a maximum of 230x65 mm damper that would give up to 156 mm, but the problem is the space between the wheel and the seat tube or even between the chainstays and the frame. The only way to know is to check it on the bike directly.

In my opinion, no more travel is needed in this model. Greetings.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Very cool info! But honestly, probably not something most of us could handle without special tools and experience. Have you tried to measure the travel increase now that you are at 65mm stroke now?

From a previous post of mine, I found a couple insights into the travel change:

Apparently, it will increase the rear travel to 151mm. This was taken from a comment from an analysis of the Spectral's suspension kinematics

But on another analysis site, it was mentioned the travel would be increased to 156mm:
    I just tried to measure it. I got 155ish on my best attempts a few times. Itís hard to measure and keep the bike compressed and level. Made marks on a wall with the tip of the axel. That 156mm number sounds most accurate.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018

B-GAP adjustment

Did anybody here get the Sram B-GAP adjustment tool as part of the package ? (not me with my CF8)....It's the little red plastic thingy for use on the Eagle drivetrains.
    I noticed in an earlier post on this thread that someone had an issue with some of the gears 'jumping' or not syncing nicely. I also had this issue after a few rides (middle cogs).
    I found that the B-tension screw needed adjustment, as the tolerances for 12 speed eagle drivetrains are very tight. In NZ I had to order the tool from Sram, through my LBS.
    After getting the B-gap just right (with the correct sag), and using the barrel adjusters to fine tune, the gear shifts are now spot on. I do however think that Canyon should be supplying these with the bike when it ships.......In the factory they can only set the B-tension to a very average (for everyone) kind of setting, and really it needs to be just right for the riders weight and chosen sag.
    I hope this post is a help to anybody else experiencing a similar issue.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    It seems Joe Barnes has a chain guide on his Spectral. I messaged Canyon about it, but no response from them. How??

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-10-02 at 1.29.57 PM.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	121.6 KB 
ID:	1218859
    My CF8.0 came with a spare main pivot cap with bosses to allow you to attach a front mech. I guess a chain guide would fit too...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018 Spectral Owners Thread-img_4948.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by steviebstevieb View Post
    My CF8.0 came with a spare main pivot cap with bosses to allow you to attach a front mech. I guess a chain guide would fit too...
    I switched my 7.0 to 1x and managed to fit a chain guide in that location. It's an absolute black guide for a absolute black oval chainring. No luck with a bash guard yet though.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe123 View Post
    I switched my 7.0 to 1x and managed to fit a chain guide in that location. It's an absolute black guide for a absolute black oval chainring. No luck with a bash guard yet though.

Wow! My cf 9.0 LTD didn't come with one of those. Can you post a pic of the mounted guide? Does the guide move/rotate as the suspension compresses? Or does it stay in a fixed position in relation to the chainring, as a front derailleur would?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steviebstevieb View Post
    I'm really excited about this. Thank you for providing a detailed photo with the part number. I've sent an inquiry to Canyon USA about getting this part. Hopefully they will be able to provide me with one. Strange that the 9.0 SL/LTD bikes did not come with this part. Hope it's not a fitting issue with alloy vs carbon chainstays.

Edit: I found the BOM on Canyon's Int'l site for the carbon and Al Spectrals, and they both show the e-type pivot cap, but one wasn't included with my bike for some reason.

Edit 2: I have a feeling that these e-type mounting caps were not available to USA-sold models? Anyone get one of these that bought in the USA?
    Last edited by bryanus; 10-05-2018 at 01:06 PM.

mtbr member
    I just tried to measure it. I got 155ish on my best attempts a few times. Itís hard to measure and keep the bike compressed and level. Made marks on a wall with the tip of the axel. That 156mm number sounds most accurate.
    Thanks for giving it a shot. Let's go with 156mm then. Hmm, I see a fox 36/160 in my future...to balance things out now. Interestingly, the YT Jeffsy CF Pro 27.5 has a Fox 34@160mm, but when I contacted Fox about increasing travel they said it could not be done for this MY and that 160mm is not offered due to performance issues/flex.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I just received a replacement seat stay that I posted about previously. After unboxing, itís definitely a used part. Scuffs and scratches are easily noticeable. Iím kind of pissed, am I wrong? I just feel like it should be a new part, and Iím getting shafted here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I just received a replacement seat stay that I posted about previously. After unboxing, itís definitely a used part. Scuffs and scratches are easily noticeable. Iím kind of pissed, am I wrong? I just feel like it should be a new part, and Iím getting shafted here.
    You should call them. I would expect to get a new one and not a used one for sure.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Wow! My cf 9.0 LTD didn't come with one of those. Can you post a pic of the mounted guide? Does the guide move/rotate as the suspension compresses? Or does it stay in a fixed position in relation to the chainring, as a front derailleur would?
    I got my LBS to do the 1x and as they were finishing up one of the mechanics mentioned he had a spare (new) chain guide as he switched bike recently. I asked if it would fit as wasn't sure with the spectral. He seemed to fit it no problem with 1 spacer . It's this guide:

https://absoluteblack.cc/oval-chain-guide-s3-e-type/

I'm away from my bike so can't take pictures unfortunately. I can in a few weeks.

I don't think it flexes with the suspension but I know its designed specifically for oval rings and worked fine for the one ride I've had it on for so far.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Currently in email communication with them about my seatstay, I was told they don't normally stock this part. They are waiting to hear from QC about getting the part. My guess is yours came off a demo or a return if it looks used.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Chain guide Mounted!

So I contacted Canyon USA about the e-type derailleur pivot cap and they sent me one the next day! I got it today and hooked it up to a Funn Zippa Lite e-type guide. Looks like it'll work just fine, even though it says it isn't compatible with oval rings (I'm running an AbsBlk one).

Update: Rode last weekend in Truckee at Jackass and Yogi trails. Yogi can be pretty hardcore. No chain drops or any other issues with the guide. Happy!

2018 Spectral Owners Thread-2018-10-10-16.31.41.jpg
    2018 Spectral Owners Thread-2018-10-10-16.30.07.jpg
    Last edited by bryanus; 10-16-2018 at 01:12 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    For those of you that have been waiting the frame storage box is available. They said it showed up on Monday. Its not on the website yet, so I had to call them. They are expected to be sold out by tomorrow. With my $100 I got this, the dual water bottle holder, and a derailer hanger, only paid $14.

Quote:
    We currently have stock of the Spectral frame storage case (part # 170771). They retail for $59.99. Feel free to give us a call at 833-226-9661 if you would like assistance to place an order. We can be reached Monday - Friday from 7am-5pm PST.

All the best,

Elyse

Service Center | Canyon Bicycles USA Inc

mtbr member
    Me and a buddy are thinking of upgrading our HT's and looking at the Spectral, the Bronson and the 5010. I'm not sure how the three bikes ride compared to each other. We ride 95% on technical Singletrack near our house with some climbing but nothing huge...we travel a couple times a year to DH trails also.

The price is great on the Spectral but it's alarming reading all the issues. We get a good discount (25%) on SC thru our race club/ team but Spectral is still much less expensive with comparable components to the SC S+ build...not quite as good but comparable. I did speak with the Canyon CS and they said the chainstay issues have been resolved. They also mentioned the new 19's should be out around the first week of Dec. He mentioned they changes would likely be minimal with components, maybe slight color change also.

If most had the option of doing it again would you still go with the Spectral knowing what you now know?

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I would absolutely buy it again. I have had no issues personally. Other than very little communication (read zero) for 3 months after sending the initial email about the chain stays I didnt let it stop me from riding. Got the replacement. Installed it myself. Buying the bike was easy. Assembling it took less than an hour. Its an amazing machine and capable of so much more than what I am doing to it.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I knew about the issues and I bought it anyway. Haven't had it long enough for trouble to strike but I don't worry about if it will. It's a great bike and I have no regrets

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I bought about a month ago. No issues. Love the bike. My dealings with Canyon have been very pleasant.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I would 100% buy again. I love my bike. It does everything I want it to and more. And the fact that the 6.0 is nearly always sold out is pretty telling. All my dealings with Canyon customer service have been friendly and they've always taken care of what my bike needs to get me back on the trail. They did send me a used seat stay off a demo or something, but it was in working condition. From the time I reported a issue with it to the time I had a replacement in hand was 2 weeks and 1 week of that was time in transit. Hard to complain(but I did anyway hoping to get a NEW seat stay). As Canyon becomes more established in US I would expect that the bike stock and parts availability will only get better.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys! Sounds like a great ride. We are riding Bronsonís tomorrow at a demo day so Iím hoping the Bronson rides similar to the Spectral. The wheelbase and chainstay are very close on both bikes. The head tube and seat angles are fairly close as well. Anyone ever ride both bikes?

Vintagehue
    Jul 2018
    Has anyone else had a issue with the drive side main pivot bolt on the chain stay coming loose? Mine becomes loose after only ~20miles

Also washed the bike today and there was a crack on the seat stay above the pivot by the seat mast. Also on the drive side. Extremely concerned about that, possibly related to the pivot bolt backing out.

Sent an email to canyon and we'll see how it goes.

Attachment 1217628Attachment 1217629
    After seeing this I took a look at the same location on my bike - CF8 (aluminum rear-end) - and sure enough I have the exact same crack. Maybe a touch smaller, but exact same location, which makes it pretty clear it is a weak spot and a flawed design. I love this bike and the way it rides, but this quality shit is starting to piss me off! I took everything apart to get a closer look and best I can tell the crack does not pass through to inner side of the pivot housing. A good thing, but I am wondering if it is just a matter of time. Equally concerning is that when I disassembled each side - first time I have had it apart since getting the bike - I heard a good snap, which I thought was my torque wrench load-breaking, but after closer inspection, it was about the first third of the thread breaking free in the pivot housing. Fortunately when I reassembled everything there was enough there to get the threads started and secure, but I am pretty concerned about this. I may not be so lucky the next time I pull it apart to clean and grease. Needless to say I plan to call Canyon tomorrow and hear what they have to say. If it goes anywhere near ďyou need to send us the part, send us the bike, etc. - I am going to tell them where they can put it. We already lost 1-2 months with the damn chain stay issue, if I have to give up more time on it, the discussion of: give me my F-ing money back! is going to enter the discussion. This is nuts! If this is what we have to deal with for the direct to consumer cost savings, I would rather cough up another couple grand and be on a dozen other make/models that fall into this category that I am certain would not be having all these quality problems. I will update further as information becomes available.

mtbr member
    We rode the new SC Bronson carbon S+ yesterday at Demo ride and we all liked it but didnt love it. It was super plush but just big. I know the front travel is more and the WB is a tad longer but it just didnt feel nimble around any of the tight turns on our tight, technical singletrack. Our buddy's son rode the 5010 and loved how responsive it was compared to the Bronson. I am still looking hard at the Spectral but just alarmed big time about all the issues. I am a geometry NOOB! Does the chart below tell me that the Spectral is likely to ride more like the 5010 or the Bronson? I need to ride something relatively close to the spectral before buying it. I am far from a bike mechanic and I am hard on a bike...bigger fella that rides hard and drops everything...already had a cracked frame and cracked rear hub on my SC HT but SC warranty is second to none. This is a big upgrade price wise so cost / value is super important.

2018 Spectral Owners Thread-bike-geos.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Dude stay away from Canyon. A lot less headache dealing with their Customer Service and with all the the problems with the cracked frames ( google and read all the other forums about it) If I have to do it again Iíll go in another direction. Just my honest opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote_Lover View Post
    We rode the new SC Bronson carbon S+ yesterday at Demo ride and we all liked it but didnt love it. It was super plush but just big. I know the front travel is more and the WB is a tad longer but it just didnt feel nimble around any of the tight turns on our tight, technical singletrack. Our buddy's son rode the 5010 and loved how responsive it was compared to the Bronson. I am still looking hard at the Spectral but just alarmed big time about all the issues. I am a geometry NOOB! Does the chart below tell me that the Spectral is likely to ride more like the 5010 or the Bronson? I need to ride something relatively close to the spectral before buying it. I am far from a bike mechanic and I am hard on a bike...bigger fella that rides hard and drops everything...already had a cracked frame and cracked rear hub on my SC HT but SC warranty is second to none. This is a big upgrade price wise so cost / value is super important.

Name:	Bike Geos.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	1220630

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Has anyone had their seatpost (ks lev si) develop vertical play? Mine has about a half-inch of play, but only when it's fully extended (cue "I was in the pool!" jokes)...

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by PasoSteve View Post
    For those of you that have been waiting the frame storage box is available. They said it showed up on Monday. Its not on the website yet, so I had to call them. They are expected to be sold out by tomorrow. With my $100 I got this, the dual water bottle holder, and a derailer hanger, only paid $14.

Quote:
    We currently have stock of the Spectral frame storage case (part # 170771). They retail for $59.99. Feel free to give us a call at 833-226-9661 if you would like assistance to place an order. We can be reached Monday - Friday from 7am-5pm PST.

All the best,

Elyse
    Service Center | Canyon Bicycles USA Inc
    thats ****ing bullshit. Its 30 euro/$34 usd on the euro store. Double the price, they are just being ass holes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote_Lover View Post
    Thanks guys! Sounds like a great ride. We are riding Bronsonís tomorrow at a demo day so Iím hoping the Bronson rides similar to the Spectral. The wheelbase and chainstay are very close on both bikes. The head tube and seat angles are fairly close as well. Anyone ever ride both bikes?
    I own a 2016 v2 carbon CC bronson w/ eagle. I had been eye balling the spectral with lust....One in XL came up on Canyons outlet so i randomly bought it.

Overall I like the spectral, I have to keep it because of the outlet pricing, no returns. How does it compare to the Bronson? The Bronson is a more aggressive bike, but they are very similar. I like the spectral because it fits me better. But other then that there is no difference.

However I probably would return it had I the ability. And I wouldn't of tried it had I known I couldn't (my fault). They are just that similar.

Lastly, the spectral cracked on my first ride from a rock being kicked up from the front wheel (something the bronson has shrugged off a bunch) . I have been waiting to hear from customer service for 3 weeks. I stilll ride it though. Weather is prime. Needless to say I am off to a bad start with the Canyon, but im stuck with it.

If you want a used Large Bronson CC w/eagle hit me up though haha.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Has anyone had any luck with the seat post clamp not slipping anymore?

It happened 3 times during a recent ride and all when at speed.

I contacted Canyon (uk) and they want me to send the whole bike which I'd much rather not do and they claimed to have never heard of the problem before.

Did anyone manage to get sent a new seat post clamp from them?

I'm wary of over torquing the bolt to avoid damaging the dropper. I think someone mentioned using a strap wrench earlier?

This is only problem I have with the bike now and just want to get it sorted before winter sets in. Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I had to make sure I had the paste on there and use fresh blue loctite on the set screw, I also tightened it to just before it started affecting the post movement. My screws cracked or some allowing the post to move, this has solved it for the past few weeks though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by xmarvin1 View Post
    I had to make sure I had the paste on there and use fresh blue loctite on the set screw, I also tightened it to just before it started affecting the post movement. My screws cracked or some allowing the post to move, this has solved it for the past few weeks though.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've reinstalled, cleaned and added fresh paste. Haven't tried adding loctite blue to set screw yet so will do next. A cracked screw doesn't sound good?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Well auto correct got me, that was supposed to say "backed out"
    Lol

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    First post on here. Been mountain biking on a cheap hardtail for about two years now in SE Michigan so mostly mild cross country stuff with some tech single track (my favorite). Been seriously considering the Spectral for a few months now. My question about the Spectral would be is it too much for the trails around here(150mm of travel is quite a bit)? I do plan on taking it on trips to Copper Harbor and similar places so I know it would be more apt to trails of that caliber, but would it just be useless down here where I would be riding it most of the time?

mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Hey bryanus, any update on the how the bike rides with that extra travel? A pic of the bike would be sick too!

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantomrider18 View Post
    First post on here. Been mountain biking on a cheap hardtail for about two years now in SE Michigan so mostly mild cross country stuff with some tech single track (my favorite). Been seriously considering the Spectral for a few months now. My question about the Spectral would be is it too much for the trails around here(150mm of travel is quite a bit)? I do plan on taking it on trips to Copper Harbor and similar places so I know it would be more apt to trails of that caliber, but would it just be useless down here where I would be riding it most of the time?

It so much depends on you and what you wanna do. I live in Dallas/Fort Worth area and the trails here while fun don't have much elevation change. However they can be rocky and root filled at times. I already have a hard tail and wanted a FS trail bike. Spectral fits that description perfectly. A fun and awesome FS trail bike (With nice components for the price). I could get by with 120/100 easily, but I've never felt like I had too much travel though. (Not even sure what the downside to too much would be though TBH). I did venture out of the state with the spectral and was really impressed with how it handled the more challenging stuff. So it was nice to have that horse in my stable.

mtbr member
    Hey bryanus, any update on the how the bike rides with that extra travel? A pic of the bike would be sick too!
    I've only had a handful of rides since mounting the X2 65mm, but on some relatively gnarly terrain with long/steep rock gardens, lots of berms, and smallish jumps/drops. So far I don't have anything negative to say about the increased travel. The ride characteristics are still great; there's just more travel on tap now. I was already striking pedals before the swap, but am not experiencing any more now than before, even though I assume the BB is a tad lower at 30% sag on the longer stroke shock. The X2 has a much more linear feel than the DPS it replaced, even with the 2 volume spacers I'm running inside the can. The X2 is an amazing shock; I'm surprised Canyon didn't at least spec the DPX2 or a Super Deluxe RT3; I think the piggyback reservoir would have helped a lot with sustained hits.

I also swapped out the Fox 34 for the Fox 36 with GRIP2 damper. It came off a Bronson, which interestingly fits up to 2.8" tires in a standard 27.5 fork. It seems the fork has a 'custom internal spacer' installed that allows for up to 2.8" tire clearance. I've inquired with Fox to get more information on the spacer, but haven't heard back yet. My assumption is that it somehow increases the A-C to allow the bigger tires to clear the crown at full compression, and my A-C measurement seems to confirm that it is ~10mm taller than the stated A-C for this fork. I haven't had time to look inside yet, but my first ride on the fork was great. I lowered the stem by about 10mm to reduce the stack a bit. According to my level app, the head angle is right at 65˚. I think if I remove that internal spacer, it might kick it back up to 65.5˚ or so.

Update: Fox got back to me and said that the fork has a larger bottom out bumper, which reduces the fork's travel by 3-5mm, to keep 2.8" tires from hitting the downtube. So I guess it doesn't affect the A-C like I thought.

With the increased fork length, the wheelbase also got kicked out a little and makes the bike seems more stable at speed. Only caveat was the weight of the 36. It was about 300g heavier than the 34 it replaced. Overall, still a light bike at 28.7lbs (w/ pedals and cushcore in the rear).

Also, if any fellow Spectral (USA) riders are interested, PM me for a 20% discount on a ShockWiz rental! Season is winding down, so pretty much guaranteed availability.

Last edited by bryanus; 10-23-2018 at 04:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by manther View Post
    It so much depends on you and what you wanna do. I live in Dallas/Fort Worth area and the trails here while fun don't have much elevation change. However they can be rocky and root filled at times. I already have a hard tail and wanted a FS trail bike. Spectral fits that description perfectly. A fun and awesome FS trail bike (With nice components for the price). I could get by with 120/100 easily, but I've never felt like I had too much travel though. (Not even sure what the downside to too much would be though TBH). I did venture out of the state with the spectral and was really impressed with how it handled the more challenging stuff. So it was nice to have that horse in my stable.
    Thanks for the reply, I think I will go with the spectral, I think it will suite what I want to do with my riding in the future. Should be buying one of the new 19' next year😏

Sent from my SM-G930P using Mtbr.com Forums

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I've only had a handful of rides since mounting the X2 65mm, but on some relatively gnarly terrain with long/steep rock gardens, lots of berms, and smallish jumps/drops. So far I don't have anything negative to say about the increased travel. The ride characteristics are still great; there's just more travel on tap now. I was already striking pedals before the swap, but am not experiencing any more now than before, even though I assume the BB is a tad lower at 30% sag on the longer stroke shock.

Im thinking it might be worth while to use 2-4 mm offset bushings to increase the eye to eye and raise the bike back up to compensate for extra sag. https://www.offsetbushings.com/

Little more plush, little more travel/and negative travel but same climbing position.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Hi 2018 Spectral owners.
    I am considering one of these bikes. I got the girl friend who doesn't ride much the V1 version, I have ridden it a few times and really like it all and all.
    If anything, for me I would probably prefer something a little beefier which the V2 appears to be.
    Does the V2 pedal better than the V1 or what Is the general consensus on efficiency, does it pedal fairly light up hill and can you feel the response sprinting on the trail?
    Also is it a quiet bike on the trail, what is the chain slap like?
    Thanks in advance

mtbr member

Canyon Recalls Mountain Bikes Due to Crash Hazard

Now it's official:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/canyon...sh-hazard.html

The United States Consumer Product Safety Commision has recalled 2018 model Canyon Spectral bikes due to a chainstay failure. So far around 20x bikes have failed, but no injuries have been reported yet. At this moment, we are not sure if the recall and problems are related to a batch of bikes shipped to America, or if this concerns all Spectral bikes worldwide Ė Pinkbike has reached out to Canyon, and we will update this with any new information. The full alert can be read here on the CPSC website.

Consumers who think they could be affected should contact Canyon toll-free at 833-226-9661 from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. PT, Monday through Friday. Or email at us@canyon.com or visit online at www.canyon.com and click on ďService & SupportĒ for more information.

Recall Details: This recall involves model year 2018 Canyon Spectral full-suspension mountain bikes with aluminum chainstays. The bicycleís chainstays are the aluminum tubes that run from the bottom bracket to the axle of the rear wheel. They were sold in black/red, black/blue, gray/orange, red, and black. Canyon is printed on the downtube. Spectral is printed on the top tube. The recalled women and menís mountain bikes have the following models numbers: M71 Spectral CF 9.0 PRO, M71 Spectral CF 8.0, M53 Spectral AL 6.0, M74 Spectral WMN CF 7.0, M50 Spectral WMN 6.0. The model number is printed in the purchase documents.

Hazard: The chainstays can crack, which can lead to failure of the chainstay, rear wheel detachment and loss of control, posing a crash hazard.

Recall date: October 10, 2018

Units: About 820

Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled mountain bikes and contact Canyon to receive free replacement and installation of chainstays. Canyon is contacting all known purchasers directly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Now it's official:

The United States Consumer Product Safety Commision has recalled 2018 model Canyon Spectral bikes due to a chainstay failure. So far around 20x bikes have failed, but no injuries have been reported yet. At this moment, we are not sure if the recall and problems are related to a batch of bikes shipped to America, or if this concerns all Spectral bikes worldwide Ė Pinkbike has reached out to Canyon, and we will update this with any new information. The full alert can be read here on the CPSC website.

Consumers who think they could be affected should contact Canyon toll-free at 833-226-9661 from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. PT, Monday through Friday. Or email at us@canyon.com or visit online at www.canyon.com and click on ďService & SupportĒ for more information.

Recall Details: This recall involves model year 2018 Canyon Spectral full-suspension mountain bikes with aluminum chainstays. The bicycleís chainstays are the aluminum tubes that run from the bottom bracket to the axle of the rear wheel. They were sold in black/red, black/blue, gray/orange, red, and black. Canyon is printed on the downtube. Spectral is printed on the top tube. The recalled women and menís mountain bikes have the following models numbers: M71 Spectral CF 9.0 PRO, M71 Spectral CF 8.0, M53 Spectral AL 6.0, M74 Spectral WMN CF 7.0, M50 Spectral WMN 6.0. The model number is printed in the purchase documents.

Hazard: The chainstays can crack, which can lead to failure of the chainstay, rear wheel detachment and loss of control, posing a crash hazard.

Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled mountain bikes and contact Canyon to receive free replacement and installation of chainstays. Canyon is contacting all known purchasers directly.
    Does this affect all 2018 models or only early productions?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Does this affect all 2018 models or only early productions?

For what it's worth I bought a CF 9.0 Pro on Sept 16. My chain stay has R.A. stamped on it. I send them an email to see if I was affected and they replied on 24/Oct:

For such cases, we contact each of our customers that may be affected. If you did not receive any emails or calls from us, it means that there is nothing to be worried about.

Should you have any further questions or need additional assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.
    Not sure if the above is a subsequent recall.

In other news... I've not had any issues with the bike, however I did damage the 'impact protection unit (IPU)' after a bit of a tumble. Also lost a a screw. I wanted to get some spares and was shocked to find they only have one option to ship to Singapore, and it's $107USD regardless of item. So a spare screw for example: $2.95 + $107 shipping. Crazy. I need a strategy for the next few years to get parts shipped at a sensible price.

Anyone had success with a german re-shipping company?

mtbr member
    Nov 2018

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-10-02 at 1.29.57 PM.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	121.6 KB 
ID:	1218859
    i'm running a bash guard mounted on one of these aftermarket iscg adapter clamps - should also be fine for mounting chainguides

https://global.csixx.com/products/iscg-adapter-clamp

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mccraigmccraig View Post
    i'm running a bash guard mounted on one of these aftermarket iscg adapter clamps - should also be fine for mounting chainguides

https://global.csixx.com/products/iscg-adapter-clamp
    Wow, cool! I was wondering if that one would work. Could you post some pics of the adapter mounted to your bottom bracket when you get a chance?

mtbr member
    Now it's official:

Isn't this old news?
    Spectral AL

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Wow, cool! I was wondering if that one would work. Could you post some pics of the adapter mounted to your bottom bracket when you get a chance?
    here you go - the csixx iscg05 adapter with a blackspire crusher bashguard

my spectral is an al 6.0 - i'm happy with the iscg05 adapter on the al bb - i've no idea if it would be a good idea or otherwise on cf
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018 Spectral Owners Thread-20181104_131108.jpg  

2018 Spectral Owners Thread-20181104_131136.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagehue View Post
    BABDork,
    Got mine (CF 8.0) last April and wanted to mention I too had issues with a creaky bottom bracket. For awhile regular clean up and regrease of the drive would fix this, but eventually it was creaking in torquey peddle zones consistently - super frustrating - so time to rebuild. I hear you on the tool investment to do it, but luckily there is a shop local to me who is only repair, not a bike seller, and he rents out bench space and tool use for $10/hr. For a canyon owner, it is an ideal solution. Anyway, the important part of the story i wanted to share is when I got the B.B. apart it was clear there was no adhesive used during original assembly, which probably is not completely uncommon, but I do think this contributed to the onset of the creak. That, and the very dusty conditions we deal with in southern Cal. Since rebuilding it with the apprpriate adhesive I have had zero problems - going in 3 weeks now - and the rebuild was a lot easier than I was anticipating. The whole thing took about 15-20 minutes, and I am no mechanic. Having the correct tools for the job makes all the difference. If it does get creaky again, Iím considering upgrading to a screw-together pressfit B.B., a Wheels MFG or Tri-Peak. The owner of the shop I went to said they work great, and are worth it if regular maintenance does not keep the creaks away.
    One final note: make sure also to do regular cleaning and regrease of your rear hub assembly. I was getting a nasty creak from that, that I thought was my B.B. after rebuilding it. I was happy to find a quick clean and reassembly cured - no more creaking.
    You posted this 1-1/2 months ago, has this permanently solved your creaky bb? Mine is getting worse and worse, time to do something. I have about 200 miles on the bike, intermediate rider, I don't do features on trails...no crazy jumps and such, but I give it plenty of workout. 190 lbs..

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    rkymtnoffgrd I had lots of creeks which were really hard to pinpoint. Mainly on pedal down strokes. Thought it was the BB but I couldn't get a creek out if it with the chain off. Turned out to be the rear hub too. I've done about 250km on this bike. I've greased the hub a few times.

Towards the end of long real dirty, wet rides (I ride in the jungle, it's wet and dirty) it sometimes starts up again. Clean and re-grease sorts it

Cheap fix if it's the same issue.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    i had a bunch of creaks after the first couple of hundred miles... got my LBS to pop and grease my BB and go over all the pivots - there were several things working their way loose

i've done over 1000 miles on the bike (al6.0) now, bought myself a torque wrench to keep everything tight, and had no more creaking since those first couple of hundred miles

i did wear out the wheel bearings - canyon must have scrimped some there - but otherwise everything has been solid

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I just had a 2018 spectral 9.0 SL delivered and it came without the bracket part #EP0604-01 to be used as a chain guide. I emailed Canyon asking about it. Haven't heard back yet but I hope they just send me one.

Also, I'm 5' 10" with 32 inseam and the Large frame fits me perfect with the dropper post about 8mm short of being fully extended. I can live with it. Yeti SB 5's with similar geometry were just too small when tested locally with medium frames.2018 Spectral Owners Thread-pivot_cap_sl_carbon.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Anybody on spectral size S? Bb height is even lower than other sizes, definitely worried by this

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    https://www.canyon.com/en/mtb/spectral/
    New specs, shimano xtr 12, 150/160 suspension

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    that new al6 is one good looking bike in raw.do wonder if it's getting a bit beyond a trail bike now - 150/160 with a 36 fork but if the weight isn't much more I guess why not. had to come out the week I ordered something else

Vintagehue
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by rkymtnoffgrd View Post
    You posted this 1-1/2 months ago, has this permanently solved your creaky bb? Mine is getting worse and worse, time to do something. I have about 200 miles on the bike, intermediate rider, I don't do features on trails...no crazy jumps and such, but I give it plenty of workout. 190 lbs..
    Sorry for the delayed response. Itís been awhile since Iíve checked the thread. To answer your question: yes, it appears to have provided a ďpermanentĒ fix for bb creaking. I put it in quotes because I do anticipate after enough additional miles it might need to be done again. I imagine the adhesive will begin to break free at some point. When that happens Iíll likely move to a Wheels Mfg bb that threads together.
    Other than the bb, I do still get creaks and clicks from time to time. Iíve learned that the creaking is always a dirty rear hub. A quick clean and regrease solves it every time. The clicks are a little more mysterious. Sometimes itís proven to be the head set needing a clean and regrease. But I also have one going on somewhere in my seat or seat post. I think itís in the post and it only happens when Iím peddling in a seated position with my seat fully raised. Iím yet to do a service on my reverb dropper, which I imagine would fix it. Overall Iíve found the bike to be very quiet so long as Iím diligent about wiping the bike down after each ride doing regular cleaning and regrease. Being in southern Cal on very dusty trails, Iím regreasing things like the rear hub, head set, bb and bearings, shock mounts, etc every 2-4 weeks. All depends on how motivated I am.

mtbr member
    Sharp colors...
    Spectral AL

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Hello All!
    This is my first post to the site as I just placed an order for an AL 6.0 in red! I am so excited about getting the bike.
    Even though I am pretty new to the sport (less than a year) I know I finally found a hobby that will last for years
    I read pretty much all the thread already, and I see many of you have recommended several things in terms of adjustments and checks to be made. It was a little bit overwhelming as I went through the whole thread in one sitting and I wanted to ask you guys:
    When getting the bike, what are the checks and adjustment you guys recommend I need to do before my first ride? Again, I am new to the sport but I like to think I can get around with tools ( I plan on slowly building a tool box as well).

Cheers!!!

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mccraigmccraig View Post
    here you go - the csixx iscg05 adapter with a blackspire crusher bashguard

my spectral is an al 6.0 - i'm happy with the iscg05 adapter on the al bb - i've no idea if it would be a good idea or otherwise on cf
    Thanks! I do the same! Csixx 47mm + blackspire! Very Happy! (Spectral al 6.0 as well)
    Last edited by nusckas; 12-13-2018 at 07:33 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2018

Standover height for S and XS

If anyone has a Spectral S or XS, could you please measure and post the actual standover height? Canyon US does not list the standover height on its geometry chart, and other sources state conflicting information.

I'm asking because I'd like to buy a Spectral for my wife, who is vertically challenged. The Canyon "PFS" calculator will not accept her measurements.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Why not check eu site? 713 and 717 in sizes XS ans S

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagehue View Post
    Turt(le)-
    I have been riding seriously for only about two years now, and I do not race, so it is fairly clear to me you ride at a higher level than I, but Iím curious if you considered the Push Industries ACS3 coil conversion. I like tinkering with my bike almost as much as riding it, so I decided to go for it and get one. While, again, I believe I ride at a lower level than you, based on your description I think this is something worth considering. After installing it I hit my local spot where evaluating improvements was very straight forward due to my familiarity with the trail. Instantly I noticed a significant difference in the bikes handling characteristics. Most notably in chattery turns, where the upgrade delivered a stickiness and control to the front end that allowed me to carry significantly more speed than I was accustomed to, and with loads of confidence. I notice less hand and wrist fatigue as well. And while there is a subtle weight penalty over the air spring, I didnít find it noticeable. Iím still tinkering a bit with set up. My damping is 10-11 clicks back from full, which is close to what rock shox recommends for my weight. Iím still experimenting with LSC, but lately i have been running 6-7 clocks back from full, which has helped to control some off-the-top divey-ness that I was feeling while retaining small bump compliance that is significantly better than anything I could achieve with the air sprung version of the Pike. Lastly, the plushness I get by comparison is also noticeable, as you might guess, but most notably is how this is retained ride after ride. With the air spring I always saw a significant improvement in plushness and reduced stiction following a lower leg service - no surprise - but after 1-2 rides there was a noticeable loss of that plush, smooth response and feel. The coil retains this almost without limit, which is hard not to love.

Bottom line: for anyone considering upgrades to the handling characteristics of their front end, I have really been pleased with this upgrade, and would recommend it. It certainly isnít cheap at $380 + another $40 if you want the push lower seals, which I do believe are an improved design over stock, but considering the Pike is universally viewed as a very good chassis, and the Charger damper is also well regarded, it is certainly a far cheaper option than upgrading the fork completely in an attempt to improve performance.
    I don't think that it's necessarily accurate to assume that I'm a better rider than you; first) it's highly subjective, and everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. Largely, these are based on your geography, what types of trails you have, how often you ride and your base level of fitness. In my region (midwest) I time my practice runs and compare them with my race runs/race field, and I'm in the top 5-10 of my field. Unfortunately, my base fitness holds me back and puts me squarely in the middle of the pack at my "local" races. If I went out west to race, I'd bet my money on being in the bottom 25% of the field (probably closer to the bottom 10%).

Moving on. I did take a very serious look at the Push ACS3 system and it was a tough decision between that and the Luftkappe. I chose the Luftkappe for two reasons: 1) it was far cheaper and 2) it was reversible. My understanding of the Push ACS3 system (I could very well be wrong) is that it has a tendancy to scratch the inside of the stanchions, meaning that if I were to sell the fork later, then I couldn't swap it back to an air fork. I concluded that if I was going to spend almost $400 to upgrade my fork, that I'd be better off to sell it in OEM form, and buy a Cane Creek Helm or MRP Ribbon.

Phantomrider18: I'm a Midwest rider (Illinois, Missouri, Wisconsin, U.P. Michigan, and Minnesota) and race in the Lake Superior Gravity Series. I absolutely love the Spectral for the trails that we have around here. My local trails (central Illinois) the travel is a bit much, but up north I regularly use all of my travel, and going to Minnesota (Duluth) there are times that I wish that I had a little bit more (think YT Capra 29 or Meta AM 29). I did a bit of work to it to get it to compliment my riding style, but I'd strongly recommend it to anyone short of using it to race in the Big Mountain Enduro or the Scott Enduro Cup.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 0p3x View Post
    https://www.canyon.com/en/mtb/spectral/
    New specs, shimano xtr 12, 150/160 suspension
    Nice find.

Wow, they really beefed up the LTD and SL models with Fox 36 160mm up front and DPX2 150mm in the rear. The Fox Transfer post is also an upgrade (IMO) over the Reverb.

I wonder if they are now using a 65mm stroke shock, to get 150mm, or if they made any actual frame geometry/linkage changes to get that travel. Putting a 65mm X2 on mine turned it into a 156mm (best estimate).

Also interesting to see they went back to 2.4" Maxxis rubber instead of the 2.6, but strange they use DHR for both front/rear instead of a DHF in front.

I'm also seeing more house components (i.e. cost cutting?): Canyon brand bars, stem, and hubs possibly.

I'm a Shimano/DT Swiss guy, so the SL looks to be a much better spec/deal than the LTD IMO. The XTR 12s is sick. And the wheelset uses DT 240s hubs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Hey everyone, I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I recently ordered a Spectral AL 6.0 (2019) but I'm looking to pick up some Carbon Bars for it. But I cannot find the specs for the components for the bike. All it seems to say is G5 Canyon stem/bars. I have no idea what the rise, if any, is on the bars or if its a 40mm or 50mm steam for me the replace them without changing the dynamics of the cockpit.

I'm also a bike of a hacker when it comes to riding and I'd love to run a bashguard and chain guard, if there an adapter I can order to allow me to use one given the BB is pressfit.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBAussie View Post
    Hey everyone, I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I recently ordered a Spectral AL 6.0 (2019) but I'm looking to pick up some Carbon Bars for it. But I cannot find the specs for the components for the bike. All it seems to say is G5 Canyon stem/bars. I have no idea what the rise, if any, is on the bars or if its a 40mm or 50mm steam for me the replace them without changing the dynamics of the cockpit.

I'm also a bike of a hacker when it comes to riding and I'd love to run a bashguard and chain guard, if there an adapter I can order to allow me to use one given the BB is pressfit.

Thanks in advance!
    Canyon wrote back that only a changuide can be used with the supplied mount that replaces the pivot cap where a FD would go, but no means of a bash. Since the Eagle chainring is DM, I canít see a hack for any type of bash that would survive and not damage the frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Is this a good bike for someone getting back into the sport? The 2.6" tires and generous travel, and slightly slack head angle make it seem like this might be a more forgiving bike than average, compared to an xc or even other trail bikes.

Plus sized tires are just so forgiving in my experience and this seems to slot in nicely as a compromise for speed vs traction.

Also, at 5'8" with 30" inseam, it seems like a medium is the easy size pick. Am I correct there as well?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I'm 5'8" with a 29-30" pant inseam, and the L feels HUGE and tall. The head tube is almost twice as long as my 2018 Kona Process 153, so I'd definitely look for a Med if I were you.

The Neuron might be a better choice if you don't need or want all that squish.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    There's no way I'm going with the large. Deciding between small and medium.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I'm 5-8 with 30 inseam, the bike looks big, especially compared to my old school lightspeed xc with steep geometry & 26" from a decade ago . The bike is significantly longer and taller, bigger all around, it looked huge in comparsion. My initial disbelief and fear that this bike was way too big and much more aligned for downhill and enduro, was totally unfounded. I love this bike. I have a favorite XC loop, about 10 miles & 1000 feet gain. I've been riding it weekly for 15 years.
    From the first time I took it on that trail, I was astounded. I couldn't believe how stable and supple this thing is. It opened up a whole new world. Same old trail... I can't explain it... getting on this bike was like coming home after being gone for ages, only you've never been there before. Does that make sense? The medium is perfect. My xtr hardtail lightspeed titanium is 8 pounds lighter than this bike, and the best times (fastest overall) I've ever riden my trail has been on my lightspeed. But the fastest I've ever been (mph speed) is on the spectral, by a consistent 5 mph...that's huge...15 years doing the same trail then suddenly I'm consistently clocking speeds 5 mph faster. I'm still shocked I'm slower overall on the canyon, as I always feel like "surely, this ride, right now, is the best and fastest times ever...." It's just so much fun! But I guess XC races are truly won on the climbs, and the overall weight and rear end efficiency of the hardtail add up on grinds. I'm ok with that, the canyon is just so much more comfortable.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by rkymtnoffgrd View Post
    I'm 5-8 with 30 inseam, the bike looks big, especially compared to my old school lightspeed xc with steep geometry & 26" from a decade ago . The bike is significantly longer and taller, bigger all around, it looked huge in comparsion. My initial disbelief and fear that this bike was way too big and much more aligned for downhill and enduro, was totally unfounded. I love this bike. I have a favorite XC loop, about 10 miles & 1000 feet gain. I've been riding it weekly for 15 years.
    From the first time I took it on that trail, I was astounded. I couldn't believe how stable and supple this thing is. It opened up a whole new world. Same old trail... I can't explain it... getting on this bike was like coming home after being gone for ages, only you've never been there before. Does that make sense? The medium is perfect. My xtr hardtail lightspeed titanium is 8 pounds lighter than this bike, and the best times (fastest overall) I've ever riden my trail has been on my lightspeed. But the fastest I've ever been (mph speed) is on the spectral, by a consistent 5 mph...that's huge...15 years doing the same trail then suddenly I'm consistently clocking speeds 5 mph faster. I'm still shocked I'm slower overall on the canyon, as I always feel like "surely, this ride, right now, is the best and fastest times ever...." It's just so much fun! But I guess XC races are truly won on the climbs, and the overall weight and rear end efficiency of the hardtail add up on grinds. I'm ok with that, the canyon is just so much more comfortable.
    ok.
    Last edited by westernmtb; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by ZEEOH6 View Post
    Got my medium stealth CF 8.0 today.

Iím 5í6.5Ē and the fit is perfect. Iím coming from a small Giant Stance 2. Interestingly enough, the standover height (based on where my junk touches the top tube) is lower on the medium Spectral than a small giant stance.

Seat tube slammed all the way down with the rear reflector removed and 150mm Reverb is perfect, with my biking shoes on (flats). I have a 30Ē inseam. Very happy to see the 1x southpaw remote instead of the plunger remote. I do have to say that the Giantís TranzX dropper post has a smoother operation, altough it does have 50mm less travel.

This is enough info to put the Spectral on top of my list. I was concerned about standover but you are saying it's excellent. 5'8" 30" inseam here for reference.

I don't know how they do it, but there's nothing on the market that even approaches canyon bikes for value.

Not to mention they have an actual customer service team, unlike BikesDirect.

Third, I read a mechanic took his Canyon apart expecting lots of necessary prep work and he found none was necessary.

I really really hope I like this bike when I demo it in a few months because nothing can touch it in terms of value.

I don't even have a second place on my list because I don't want to spend much more than $2K for my first full suspension. It's either this or I keep riding my hard tail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Hey team, can see my sizing question was posed early in the modelís life, but wondering with some longer use how people are finding their size choice if you were close to the top/bottom of a size.

Iím 169cm tall (5í 6.5Ē) with a 77.5cm inseam (30.5Ē). So thatís right at the top of the S size on PPS. If I was one cm taller it recommends M...

I currently ride a 722mm seat height on my S Yeti SB66, so can fit both sizes Spectral by that metric.

So, the tl;dr is: if you were in between sizes which way did you go and how do you find it? (Bonus points if like me youíre always between sizes and can cross reference with prior experience comparisons!)

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I'm right between M and L. I ordered both, tried both, and sent the M back. The refund from Canyon included the original shipping fee (which surprised me), so trying both bikes cost me nothing other than the time spent assembling and unassembling/reboxing the M and hauling it to the local FedEx. So I suggest ordering both sizes and keeping the one you like--assuming you can catch both sizes in stock.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Hi emslibbles, I've had my Spectral for approx 6 months now. I am 171cm tall and a 76.5 inseam. Also putting me in the small category. I ordered a medium and it is perfect size wise. Keep in mind the 150 dropper (which I have slammed right down into the frame). As this would be a problem if I was any shorter. I'd say you'd be ok with a medium as your legs are slightly longer than mine. GO WELL

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Thanks both for your experience! It does seem that sizing up is the consensus on this bike.

@Kahnage mind if I ask what bike you came off prior to your Spectral? (For relative sizing purposes)

So I suggest ordering both sizes and keeping the one you like--assuming you can catch both sizes in stock.
    Iíd love to, but just not sure how much the accountant would like seeing two CFR builds on the credit card statement... even if it was temporary! 😂

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    My other bike is a GT Force 2014 (medium). But being of that age, the whole cockpit & riding position feels small and squashed up after riding the Spectral. The Spectral also has a bit lower standover height, which is always welcome. The GT is a heavier, (15.9kg) hard charging Enduro bike, but the new spectral rides so much nicer, and has really stepped up my riding confidence.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    https://youtu.be/myYXdOaNE2E

Here is a very quick, poorly shot impressions video of my 2019 Spectral AL 6.0

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    How do you convert the stock deluxe shock to 65mm stroke do you need any specialty tools?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelscott03 View Post
    How do you convert the stock deluxe shock to 65mm stroke do you need any specialty tools?
    No, a 65mm shock fits perfectly with no add'l hardware or modifications (Medium frame, with Fox x2).

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456