2018 Spectral AL headset bearings destroyed - need a permanent fix- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

2018 Spectral AL headset bearings destroyed - need a permanent fix

After just a few rides headset bearings in my spectral started to feel harsh and one day before a ride I was not able to move the handlebars at all.

I took it all apart and it looks like its a design with cups pressed into a frame but bearings presses into cups not dropi-in bearings so it as hard to replace as it can be. Its all badly sealed and rusted.

Obviously I don't want any of that Acros crap anymore and it would be best to just replace the whole headset with cups but I'm not sure what will fit. There is zero information about what headset is used in the bike on canyon web page, in the bike instruction, there is no part number or a name on the headset unit etc.

Looks like this is designed to fail prematurely and force users to buy replacements from canyon.

I have a few questions:

1. What replacement headset can I use if any?
    2. Is it possible to replace just the bearings without the cups?
    3. If so what is the height of the lower/upper bearing? Is it 7mm?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I tried to remove the bearing from the cup today but with no luck. This is how its constructed:

2018 Spectral AL headset bearings destroyed - need a permanent fix-acros.jpg

A and B is a bearing.
    C is a cup.
    D is a frame.

If you try to tap on the A piece of the bearing than it will separate from B and fall of. There is no lip on the B that sticks out of the cup so it looks like this bearing cannot be separated from the cup.

I just hope that some other headset will fit but I'm still not able to get any info on what it mounted there and what dimensions it has.

I contacted canyon with online form and got no replay. I called them and nobody picks up the phone.. maybe their are busy designing the next generation headset..

mtbr member
    May 2019
    I have canyon spectral CF 9.0 2018
    My headset bearings are
    Upper: hss20130k cane creek
    Lower: aaa0006k cane creek

After almost 1.5 year and 3000 km riding in very dusty conditions, didnt have problem at all with headset
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018 Spectral AL headset bearings destroyed - need a permanent fix-imag0287.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks for reply. Was CC stock on your bike or you've replaced acros this CC?

mtbr member
    May 2019
    This CC is my stock headset.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Mine came with acros. Strange I still see only acros speced on spectrals: https://www.canyon.com/en-us/mtb/spectral

No info on the headset other that its acros on the web page and Is till got no replay from Canyon.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    This is printscreen for each part when i ordered my bike. Unbelivable!2018 Spectral AL headset bearings destroyed - need a permanent fix-headset.jpg