2018 Spectral AL 6.0 size L vs XL- Mtbr.com
    방랑외국인

2018 Spectral AL 6.0 size L vs XL

Anyone ride a L vs XL? As comparison being 6'1" with a 34" inseam, I just rode the Santa Cruz 5010 and Tallboy and the L felt very cramped, and I would definitely choose the XL. Just wondering similar sized Spectral owners are riding? I do realize the 2018 is a new frame, but wanted some real world feedback.

mtbr member
    Have you ridden any other bikes with a 460 reach (size of medium Spectral)?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018 Spectral AL 6.0 size L vs XL-5010.png  

방랑외국인
    you mean large Spectral? Looks like its between the Santa Cruz L/XL. What site are you comparing geometry like that? Its pretty slick.

mtbr member
    Correct, Large.
    https://geometrygeeks.bike/ is your friend

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Apparently I am an anomaly when it comes to bike size (from what I am reading online from others) but at 5'11.5" and 31" inseam I ride a L 2018 Spectral AL 6.0 and it fits. My 150mm dropper is pulled out 1 1/4" from the top of the seat tube/rubber collar. The bike feels more on the shorter side from my previous and current other bikes (2015 Orbea Rallon and 2018 YT Capra XL) but it is a very fast and playful bike. I would love to try an XL to get that longer reach but I am satisfied with the L as I use it for everyday trail riding.
    Last edited by meSSican; 05-30-2018 at 01:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Canyon runs bigger than SC. I've got a 2016 XL spectral, I'm 6' 2-1/2" and 34" inseam and I feel like it's a little long for me. I rode an XL SC 5010 last year and it felt a little short. I think a large Spectral would be perfect for you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Anybody else have any experience with the L or XL spectral. I'm in the same boat. I'm 6'1" with a 34.5" inseam and I'm torn between the L and XL. I come up as a L on the website but I'm right on the border. I spoke to canyon on the phone and they said its really a matter of personal preference. I went into a LBS the other day and they were adamant I am an XL in any FS bike because I'm a big guy, they said they could tell just by looking at me.
    I rode a 2018 XL transition sentinel which could have worked but did feel a little big, I also rode a L Jamis Dakaar which felt a little small (those 2 have very different geometry tho). A couple years ago I test rode a 2016 L FS Stumpjumper and it was def too small and the XL felt way better. I checked out geometry geeks and its pretty awesome but a lot of the bikes are really different in terms of the geo. Any other input would be appreciated. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Another thing to consider is that if you tend to do long rides, being stretched out on a long bike may get uncomfortable after a while. I rode 12 hours on my XL this weekend and my arms were getting tired supporting my torso, couldn't help but think I might be better off on a large. Stem length is 50mm, looking at going to 35mm. All that being said, there are definite advantages to being on a long bike, and if I did have a large I'd probably be bitching about why I'd rather have an XL...

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    6'1" here and I ride a Large 2018 Spectral 6.0.
    I actually went to a 50mm stem...felt cramped.
    Buddy has an XL and it's a monster for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Thanks for the info! I started off thinking I would go L originally and then was leaning to XL but I think I'm back to L after reading your comments. Waiting for it to get back in stock. I'll update when I get it, thanks again!

방랑외국인
    DTMFM let us know how it turns out, I'm curious. After many calls and promised dates of stock passed, I couldn't wait any longer (summer is here)! I went with a Trek Fuel EX 19.5 frame which I could test ride. Fits really well for our stats fyi.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Cool thx, I will, there is something to be said for a test ride.
    Just saw the 2019 stumpjumper, looks nice. It has pretty similar geometry to the spectral. I wanna see how it feels. I may even shell out a few extra bucks and support the LBS, just don't like it's component build quite as much and it's more money, I'm on the fence. Either way I want to ride it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I just rode the 2019 stumpjumper in a L and it just felt too small, so now I'm torn again if I do go with the spectral. BTW the 27.5 stumpjumper doesn't come in xl until the fall and canyon pushed back the spectral restocks until sometime in August maybe. I am also concerned about cracked chainstay as someone had mentioned. I have seen a number of people complaining about that. I called canyon and they didn't really have anything to say about it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    So after many in stock dates came and went there were XL's available for a few hours at the end of August and I snagged one. Its a big change from my old hard tail so I was trying to figure out if it is a good size while getting used to a new kind of bike.
    Long story short, I think it's slightly big for me but I don't know how the L would have felt. It's comfortable and I am able to go faster and tackle harder stuff than my last bike, but it just feels a little big sometimes. If the seat could go a little lower I prob wouldn't feel that way, even with the seat slammed it's a bit more in the way than I would like.
    I don't think I will get rid of it, but if I sat on something I liked better I would seriously consider selling it.
    Wish I had a more definitive answer for anyone reading.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DTMFM View Post
    So after many in stock dates came and went there were XL's available for a few hours at the end of August and I snagged one. Its a big change from my old hard tail so I was trying to figure out if it is a good size while getting used to a new kind of bike.
    Long story short, I think it's slightly big for me but I don't know how the L would have felt. It's comfortable and I am able to go faster and tackle harder stuff than my last bike, but it just feels a little big sometimes. If the seat could go a little lower I prob wouldn't feel that way, even with the seat slammed it's a bit more in the way than I would like.
    I don't think I will get rid of it, but if I sat on something I liked better I would seriously consider selling it.
    Wish I had a more definitive answer for anyone reading.
    Man, you make me nervous, I just ordered an XL. 6'2 tall comparing my current seat height I'm right where the seat post will be slammed and be right where I want it at full extension. I'm coming from a large bronson which needed a 50mm to not feel cramped (still does slightly). Hoping the XL spectral wont be too much (figured I could shrink the stem if required)

Edit: Just was comparing - if I went 35mm stem im only 7mm longer away from a stock bronson XL

If I stuck with 50mm im only 1.45in from my current reach without taking stack or handlebars into account...it should be spot on or reachable. Less concerned about seatpost as its w/in an inch too, currently could go higher on my current ride. But its still right there at the bottom limit - hopfully Canyons saddle height info accounts for the spec'd dropper