2018 Canyon Spectral on switchbacks and singletrack?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2018 Canyon Spectral on switchbacks and singletrack?

Any lucky riders of a 2018 Canyon Spectral care to share their experience climbing with it on tight, technical singletrack and/or switchbacks?

Have you ridden any other bikes on that same terrain that you can compare the Spectral to?

This bike appeals to me on paper, although I wonder about the maneuverability on narrow trails, with the longer wheelbase compared to a number of other trail bikes, or even the 2017 model.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Following.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Me too...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Yeah it would be nice to see some real world owner reviews, I know MBR magazine in the UK are testing it in their bike of the year but the mag is not due until 4 April

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/revie...al-al-6-0-2018

First longish term review I found. They don't address the switch back though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Interested to hear this as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-Hz25qIz5UQ

Those are the trails I ride every weekend although not that fast..... First weekend on the bike but have ridden it 3 days in a row. Not sure these trail qualify for what you are looking for but the bike rips. Happy to answer any questions as best I can.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by meSSican View Post
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-Hz25qIz5UQ

Those are the trails I ride every weekend although not that fast..... First weekend on the bike but have ridden it 3 days in a row. Not sure these trail qualify for what you are looking for but the bike rips. Happy to answer any questions as best I can.
    Right on, I am in NorCal too. I look forward to a trip to Auburn sometime, thanks for the fun vid.

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the bike. I'm less concerned with the wheelbase at this point, after looking at a bunch of other bikes with similar length. The stack is higher than anything I have seen in 27.5, and gets mentioned in reviews as a plus on downhills but possibly awkward on uphills. I'm curious if you have any trouble with the front end lifting on steep climbs, compared to other bikes.

How do you like it in the chunk, like that Rocky trail at 10:30?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I was concerned with reports of the high stack but honestly I don't notice it. No issues with front end lift, my Orbea Rallon seems to have more issue with lift.
    On Rocky trail the bike takes it like a champ..only issue is low bb but I'm getting used to it. I bought this bike on a whim and it has surprised me. I am quite a bit faster on this and not sure what it is....I really like it.

mtbr member
    Nice! Any guess to the steepest grade you've climbed with it yet? The trickier ones in my immediate neighborhood top out at 30% grade/17 degrees hardpack.

I am 6'3" so I am looking at an XL

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Not sure about % but there are a few steep punches.

mtbr member
    Cool, thanks a bunch.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    No issues with climbs but I have a medium. Bike has tons of traction and is quite maneuverable. The only "singletrack" specific issue that I'm having is pedal strikes, but perhaps it's something that I need to get used to. Mind you I've only ridden it about 2 hours on trails so far so my experience with it is quite limited. It was singletrack though.