2017 Canyon details?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2017 Canyon details?

Any details out there on new colours and/or specs for the 2017 Canyons, in particular the LUX?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    cheers
    Pagey

Mr. Knowitall
    They usually launch during Eurobike, and release the full range in Oct

Sent fra min SGP712 via Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by cddaraa View Post
    Some models are showing up on the Swiss site already (Neuron, 29 120mm): https://www.purecycling.ch/mtb/neuro...on-al-9-9.html
    - Pretty conservative, with a 69.3d HA and 425ish reach in Med.

Seems the Swiss site renamed the Grand Canyon line-up, Tobel, and reduced some of the models.
    We're all on the same ship, and it's sinking.

Mr. Knowitall
    Seems like Pure Cycling (which Canyon is called in Switzerland), also have different model names, and the Neuron you found is the same as Nerve everywhere else...

Trail Ninja
    Doh!

Hopefully there's more to it than a change to Eagle and some other minor spec and color (and name) changes.
    We're all on the same ship, and it's sinking.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    For 2017 Canyon has really just put on the latest components (Eagle, Fox step fork, etc.) across the entire line and bumped up prices. Exactly the same frames as 2015/2016 for Strive, 2015/2016 for Spectral, 2016 for Exceed. They had better be in testing for 2018 (mid-2017 releases maybe?) revamps across these models or they'll really suffer in the market.
    2018 Canyon Exceed CF 8.0 - 29"
    2016 Canyon Strive CF 9.0 - 27.5"
    2009 Titus Motolite - 26"

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I tagged them on their site. No Boost 148 or 110. No provision for any Plus tires in 27.5 or 29. Still living in the 142 is the standard days. Trying to enter the US market with that giant hole in their lineup....it won't be successful.

mtbr member

My RSS grabbed this but I don't see it on the Bike Rumors site. Perhaps an embargo is about to end?
    Bikes for the Very Tall - A list I maintain of the largest bikes in the industry. Includes mtb and road.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I was able to get the cached article off Google:

Canyon gets official with entry timeline for USA consumer-direct delivery
    By Cory Benson - Posted on February 1, 2017 - 3:01 am

German consumer-direct bike maker Canyon has been teasing Americans for some time with the promise of bringing their high-value, high-performance bikes stateside. Last spring they made it official, but without much of a timeline, and as recently as this past December with their disc brake road bike introductions Canyon promised more details in January. Well, they made us wait one more day, but here it is – an official path to their entry onto the US market in 2017. While many American cyclists have been itching to get ahold of the latest crop of road and mountain bikes from Canyon, they’re going to have to wait until the third quarter of the year…

Bringing Canyon to the US has been a long work in progress (which we talked about in detail last year), but now that it is happening let’s summarize the key points…

Direct-to-consumer sales of Canyon bikes in the United States will begin in Q3 of 2017. Canyon is currently setting up a distribution & service facility in southern California which will serve as their base of operations.

The idea behind starting deliveries in July-September is that all bikes will come out of model year 2018 stock of new and carry-over bikes that Canyon will debut starting at the beginning of the summer through to the end-of-summer trade shows.

Canyon already has some staff for their US team in place, but will still be hiring more full-time staff for their warehouse & office operations between now and the middle of 2017. (Canyon regularly has job postings on their site under the Careers link at the bottom of every page, and says that US-based postings will show up there in the coming months.)

All of Canyon’s bikes are designed/developed in Germany with actual manufacturing in Asia. While some bikes for the US market will come from the upgrade state-of-the-art assembly facility that Canyon built at their Koblenz, Germany HQ, they have also been setting up a similar production hall in Asia so the bikes can be assembled to the same quality there without incurring the additional cost and delay of traveling first to Europe before heading to the US. Those bikes assembled in Asia will get the final step of prep at the new SoCal facility before making their way out to US buyers in Canyon’s typical Bike Guard Box.

All bikes are shipped to buyers in a pre-setup & pre-assembled state that usually means just installing the front wheel, handlebar & seatpost (then adding your own pedals in most cases) and away you ride. The idea is that it takes about 10-15 minutes to have the bike together out of the box, with shifting and braking already ready to go.

Delivery timing for bikes marked as ‘In Stock’ on Canyon’s website is expected to be less than 2 weeks across the US from the time of order.

The new SoCal facility will also serve as the US service center, and will handle any technical issues, returns, warranty concerns, or replacement parts needed for a Canyon purchased in the states.

It isn’t totally clear which bikes will be available when delivery goes live, mostly because we don’t know what new bikes will be announced by July. But Canyon has said that they expect to have the vast majority of the bikes that are available in Europe in the US as well.

They do specifically mention road, mountain, and triathlon bikes and say they want to offer the wide variety of complete build options and the same competitive pricing that they have built their business on. Now it is just time to start saving up your hard-earned money in time to buy a new bike this summer.

Canyon will continue with updates as the third quarter approaches, with all info now to be found on a dedicated US version of their website.

Canyon.com

Post Views: 1,717
    Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)More

Comments
    Eugene Chan says:
    February 1, 2017 at 4:15 am
    I’m going to assume the worst: ordering available in October plus 2-3 month wait for delivery initially.

Ryan S says:
    February 1, 2017 at 4:30 am
    Hope not. Wonder how long a warranty claim would take…

Ryan S says:
    February 1, 2017 at 4:28 am
    So basically…. We have 6 months to save up… 

Greg says:
    February 1, 2017 at 9:09 am
    That’s unfortunate… I already had my eyes on which model I was going to order in the “spring” as soon as they launched. My son is ready to inherit my old 26″ Trek mountain bike and I was going to be getting one of their 29’ers. Oh well, plans may just have to change.

Ólafur Jens Ólafsson (@olijay) says:
    February 1, 2017 at 9:13 am
    Interesting, I wonder what new bikes they’ll have this summer. I expect a new Spectral or a replacement model. Probably an updated Strive too, maybe 29er since a lot of the Enduro race bikes are going that route.

mtbr member
    Bummer that it is going to take so much longer. I guess it is good, maybe by July I'll remember that I don't actually like road biking and don't need a fancy road bike.
    Bikes for the Very Tall - A list I maintain of the largest bikes in the industry. Includes mtb and road.

mtbr member
    Here we go, it is official: https://gearjunkie.com/canyon-bikes-usa

Not as many details as draven23 posted, but it is public now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I wonder if their 2018 MTB's will be updated with Boost (148 thru-axle) spacing?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Not only Boost but Plus is also missing so far.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Well I just ordered a Strive AL 4.0 Race. Sitting in customs now, forgot I had to pay tax on it too -____-

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Here's 2 29+ Trek Staches on Barcelona trails. Canyon needs something for their 2018 bike launch to compete against this bike in carbon. I'd be interested.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Despite the lack of Plus bikes, how fat a tyre can you actually fit in the rear of a Spectral and Strive? The Canyon website says 2.4" IIRC, however like most bike manufacturers they leave a safety margin and most find they can run a bit bigger. In particularly it would be nice to know if they fit a lot of the new 2.6" tyres now available.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtvet View Post
    For 2017 Canyon has really just put on the latest components (Eagle, Fox step fork, etc.) across the entire line and bumped up prices. Exactly the same frames as 2015/2016 for Strive, 2015/2016 for Spectral, 2016 for Exceed. They had better be in testing for 2018 (mid-2017 releases maybe?) revamps across these models or they'll really suffer in the market.
    So are you saying that the current form carbon spectral frame is in it's 3rd year?
    Maybe 2018 will bring an update?...?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

I'm thinking the same thing but I'm not sure what they'd change with the Spectral as

Quote Originally Posted by richt2000 View Post
    So are you saying that the current form carbon spectral frame is in it's 3rd year?
    Maybe 2018 will bring an update?...?
    I'm thinking the same thing but I'm not sure what they'd change with the Spectral as its geometry is perfect. Maybe a boost/plus option?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Agreed. I'm tempted just to buy this years.

On paper, I've looked at about 20 trail bikes and this one seems to be such great geometry for a poppy fun trail bike:

Longish (but not silly) front center
    EX has great head angle
    Steep seat angle for climbs
    Short chainstays (but not spider 275 silly short) for the twisties
    140mm is rare these days - its either 125-130 or 150-160mm

I couldn't care leas about boost, only resale value will plummet if a new version comes out 3 months later!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    One thing I've realized about the Spectral's reach spec is that you need to account for the huge head tube when making comparisons to other bikes. Due to the very long head tube length, you won't need spacers under the stem. When you use spacers the reach gets a little bit shorter, so the 480mm reach of a the Spectral turns out to be longer than the 483mm reach of a Transition Scout. If you put 30mm spacers on the Scout to match the stack of the Spectral, the Scout's reach becomes 470mm!

Also, after riding a couple other bikes recently, I really appreciate the steep seat angle on the Spectral.

BB height is perfect.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gibsonlespaulspecial View Post
    One thing I've realized about the Spectral's reach spec is that you need to account for the huge head tube when making comparisons to other bikes. Due to the very long head tube length, you won't need spacers under the stem. When you use spacers the reach gets a little bit shorter, so the 480mm reach of a the Spectral turns out to be longer than the 483mm reach of a Transition Scout. If you put 30mm spacers on the Scout to match the stack of the Spectral, the Scout's reach becomes 470mm!

Also, after riding a couple other bikes recently, I really appreciate the steep seat angle on the Spectral.

BB height is perfect.
    Great information - thanks for sharing.

I found the jeffsy 29 quite short reach, so I removed all spacers and used a 35mm rider bar and 6 degree riser stem and that made a noticable improvement.

BTW just had a reply from Canyon re new model. They said, as you would expect that they don't have info about a new mode for 2018, but they tend to update bikes every three years. But no specific info on Spectral. 2018 bikes released september.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm not buying a new MTB without the Boost standard unless it's at a huge discount and can fit an Ikon 29er 2.35 tire in the rear with plenty of clearance. Why buy a new bike at regular price if it is spec'd with an obsolete standard?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yea I've decided to buy a YT Jeffsy 27 instead.
    Maybe get a canyon in a years time when they have released new models...

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonerider View Post
    I'm not buying a new MTB without the Boost standard unless it's at a huge discount and can fit an Ikon 29er 2.35 tire in the rear with plenty of clearance. Why buy a new bike at regular price if it is spec'd with an obsolete standard?
    I'll agree with you on the tyre width (personally I want 2.6" clearance at a minimum), however the axle type doesn't bother me much. Plenty of bikes out there that are 12x142 and fit 2.6" tyres, in fact even some 12x142 hardtails out there that fit 2.8" in the rear.

cmg
    passed out in your garden
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    I tagged them on their site. No Boost 148 or 110. No provision for any Plus tires in 27.5 or 29. Still living in the 142 is the standard days. Trying to enter the US market with that giant hole in their lineup....it won't be successful.
    Just unboxed a Lux last night, the front is 110, didnt check the back, will do when l get home
    always mad and usually drunk......

cmg
    Back is 142mm
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    what kind of suspension is Canyon ?

cmg
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    what kind of suspension is Canyon ?