mtbr member
    Mar 2008

XT M770 Cranks on a Prophet - E Type der spacer??

The instructions show one 2.5 mm spacer on each side (for e-type der installation on 68mm bb). No problem there. Additionally, they show a 2.5 mm spacer to be installed between the e-type bracket and the frame. That all makes good sense, but I don't see the small spacer w/ my new crankset. Was this supposed to be included w/ the crankset? Maybe I am missing something in reading the installation instructions?

PDF instructions here - http://bike.shimano.com/media/techdo...9830616011.pdf

Thanks!

Ridin' dirty!
    My Prophet has only 2 spacers. One on each side and it works fine.....
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

LA CHÈVRE
    One 2.5mm spacer brake side, one 2.5mm drive side with the e-type mount outside, between the spacer and the BB bearing cup. Don't forget the small 2.5mm spacer where the deraileur bolts to the frame above the BB.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    One 2.5mm spacer brake side, one 2.5mm drive side with the e-type mount outside, between the spacer and the BB bearing cup. Don't forget the small 2.5mm spacer where the deraileur bolts to the frame above the BB.
    That's kind of the issue in that no smaller spacer came w/ my XT crankset. There IS a spacer/washer in between the deraileur and frame already which looks to be 2.5mm - that spacer came w/ the stock bike (prophet 5 w/ deore LX e-type FD). So my question then, would be...do I need another 2.5mm spacer on top of the stock OE spacer/washer?

LA CHÈVRE
    No, just use the OE small spacer. The logic is that the small spacer should be the same thickness as the BB spacer you use between the e-type derailleur mounting plate and the frame's BB shell, this will make the derailleur sit straight.
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 04-24-2008 at 07:27 AM.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Appreciate the info DG!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    yeah, i would've posted this last night after i mounted my xt, but my computer is dead at the moment. Just use the one that came stock, i did, and it worked like a charm. no i just have to swap the chain and try the damn thing (though my brand new oro rear brake needs to be bleed that's no good imo)

Members who have read this thread: 0