mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Would it damage anything if ..

Today in the forest I was having a blast and at the bottom of a nice xc descent I realised Id no rear travel,
    getting off the bike and having a good look I saw the seat post had come down so far it was in contact with the (unused) rear brake cable guide,

Id not felt any significant bottoming out so Im hoping the frame didn't take any hard impacts,
    But could this little faf up (on my part) result in damage at all ?
    if so where abouts on the frame should I be having a closer look ?

KK..

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If you hit anything hard enough to damage it you'd know, no question about it, as it would have made quite a noise.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I just cut about 2" off the seat post just in case it happens again,Ive got a rear led bracket which should now act as a stopper in case it ever happens again,
    But its a new seatpost bolt I need which Il get to soon as Ive got the time,

This was the first ride on the Dale for a few months,and it turned out to be a real shake out ride,Ive got loads of small adjustments to carry out,

Compared to my scott hard tail (which Ive been riding for a few months) the Dale felt like a slug to ride,it took several miles to begin to get comfortable with it again,but as soon as the world turned downwards the bike came alive !
    utter superb on the downs and once I stopped trying to ride it like a hard tail it even came alive on the forrest climbs,

KK..

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Get modern platform shock (Fox RP23 etc) for that thing, and your dreams will be realized.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm about to part with nearly 800 for a road bike,so 300 for a new rear shock on a 14 year old bike can't be on my priority list sad to say
    I did think about going cheap and cheerful on the rear shock as I don't thrash the bike that much,but as always have clung on in the hope "maybe one day"

Its an original Fox Vanilla Ive got at the mo (TF Tuned the once) with no adjust ability other than preload,but seeing that RP23 air shock has given me a little incentive to "submit a new budget request" ..

.. But I doubt she'l OK it

KK..

Members who have read this thread: 0