mtbr member
    May 2004

Will ELO work in any Lefty?

Can I move the ELO from an older Lefty into a 2007 Caffeine 29er Lefty?

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rharriman
    Can I move the ELO from an older Lefty into a 2007 Caffeine 29er Lefty?
    Nope, no way, nada, never gonna happen. The likelyhood of getting a Banana plant to bear Eggplant is more likely= Just having fun, making sure you understand how impossible it is, no disrespect intended!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    May 2005

check with tech at c-dale

The damper shaft of an ELO is not that dissimilar to the damper shaft on the DLR2. I would call tech and ask them if it's possible to add (to an ELO) the delrin plastic c-clips used to limit the travel on the f29 stock Lefty (which is merely a 26" 110mm lefty modified w/ spacers).

You would not be swapping ELO parts with the aluminum bonded Lefty that comes stock on the f29, just swapping complete forks. It's important to understand there is little diff. btwn the 26" 110mm and the 29" 80mm Lefty, just spacers, really. It's part of the genius of the Lefty design as its usable for both wheel formats.

If C-dale gives you the go-ahead (legal dept. may nix it) I recommend you have them set up the ELO for you with spacers in appropriate locations, etc. If you're savvy, though, you can prob. take the spacers from the stock F29 lefty and put them in your ELO in your garage. This would return the F29 stock lefty back to a 26er if you have that need.

Note: Also added to the F29 shock is a small spacer on the air side of the air chamber piston to limit chamber volume and make the latter stages of compression more progressive. I recommend that be added to the ELO too if you want it to have the 29" travel-feel C-dale intends you to have.

Quote Originally Posted by mathewsen
    The damper shaft of an ELO is not that dissimilar to the damper shaft on the DLR2. I would call tech and ask them if it's possible to add (to an ELO) the delrin plastic c-clips used to limit the travel on the f29 stock Lefty (which is merely a 26" 110mm lefty modified w/ spacers).

You would not be swapping ELO parts with the aluminum bonded Lefty that comes stock on the f29, just swapping complete forks. It's important to understand there is little diff. btwn the 26" 110mm and the 29" 80mm Lefty, just spacers, really. It's part of the genius of the Lefty design as its usable for both wheel formats.

If C-dale gives you the go-ahead (legal dept. may nix it) I recommend you have them set up the ELO for you with spacers in appropriate locations, etc. If you're savvy, though, you can prob. take the spacers from the stock F29 lefty and put them in your ELO in your garage. This would return the F29 stock lefty back to a 26er if you have that need.

Note: Also added to the F29 shock is a small spacer on the air side of the air chamber piston to limit chamber volume and make the latter stages of compression more progressive. I recommend that be added to the ELO too if you want it to have the 29" travel-feel C-dale intends you to have.

Not sure what you're suggesting here, swapping complete forks? As in, sell the one, buy the other? That would be the only way, and yes, that would be a fine 29er convert too. Internally, DLR, and DLR2 are as different as night and day, and are in no way at all interchangeable, mixable, or any other iteration.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Are you talking to me?

Trust Mandon.

THe only part of the damper that is similar between the older DLR and the DLR2 is that there is still a lever at the top.
    gfy

mtbr member
    May 2005

mandon, mendon...

Whatever. My point is that if rharriman has an ELO Lefty, he can likely limit the travel on the damper shaft the very same way the travel is limited on a DLR or DLR2. All three have dampers and as such they all have damper shafts. The shaft is where the travel limiter clips are installed to reduce travel. If the gentleman cares to buy an F29, there is no reason why he cannot run his old Lefty ELO on his F29 frame IF he can successfully limit the travel down to 80mm.

As for the stock Lefty on an F29 it is merely a 26" 110m Lefty with travel limiting clips. It is easily reversable back to a 110mm 26" shock.

Quote Originally Posted by mathewsen
    Whatever. My point is that if rharriman has an ELO Lefty, he can likely limit the travel on the damper shaft the very same way the travel is limited on a DLR or DLR2. All three have dampers and as such they all have damper shafts. The shaft is where the travel limiter clips are installed to reduce travel. If the gentleman cares to buy an F29, there is no reason why he cannot run his old Lefty ELO on his F29 frame IF he can successfully limit the travel down to 80mm.

As for the stock Lefty on an F29 it is merely a 26" 110m Lefty with travel limiting clips. It is easily reversable back to a 110mm 26" shock.

Gotcha, yes, that's a way he could go if he really wanted to. But frankly, I'd dump the ELO if you have it and it still works. The ELO's were fragile, and prone to crapping out, and the unit runs about $100 if you rip that cord out, or if it stops functioning. The DLR2 is a nicer fork, and travel limited, it will have an extra 10 over a DLR too. And yes, it's Mendon, I think Damions fingers got ahead of him= Cheers!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Members who have read this thread: 0