mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Will Cannondale keep making dual crown Leftys?

I am looking at getting a new bike (short chainstay 29er hardtail) and have to decide on which fork to get. A dual crown Lefty looks really attractive compared to the usual RS and Fox and so on forks (the Ocho doesn't intrest me), but I have two questions.
    One is that it looks like Cannondale is spec'ing conventional forks on their longer travel bikes instead of Leftys; this makes me wonder whether Cannondale will continue making Leftys in the long run; I don't want to be left scrounging for parts on eBay. Do you all think Cannondale will stand by the Lefty, or will they at some point say, to hell with it, we are spec'ing what everyone else does?
    The other question is whether Cannondale is worse than other fork makers in terms of making spares and so on available. All fork makers used planned obsolescence to prop sales up and because it doesn't make sense to keep spares around for a decade or more. So- is Cannondale worse than Rock Shox and so on in this regard?
    Thanks for any advice you can provide!
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    Why not get an F-Si with the Ocho? It already has the tapered steerer and if you donít like it, pretty easy to swap to any other fork. Being a brand new design fork, I expect it will be serviceable for quite a while.

Who knows if they dual crown will survive, though. I donít think they are on any 2019 bikes short of the Slate, are they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The F-Si has longer chainstays than the custom frame I'm getting. I also don't want flat mount brakes or internal cable routing.
    The tapered steerer on the Ocho is nice, but it looks like it loses a lot of the rigidity and travel of a DC Lefty for only a small improvement in weight.
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    I wouldn't plan on it.

They have gone from being a company proud of the product they make, and determined to help keep said product working for as long as materially possible, to one where it's products rapid demise is baked into the design and business model.

All with the expectation that the buying public will be so wowed by "design" and utterly hollow promises of improved performance that they don't mind throwing away $1500 every two years or so just to keep up with the intentionally design created, entropy....

The designs change so fast now, they don't really bother to keep service product in stock more than a year or so, it's far better *for them* to just stock replacement forks.

My guess is, some riders will fall for it once, maaaaybe twice, then get tired of the shenanigans, and move into something that doesn't treat it's owner like an ATM machine.

I could go on about the environmental impacts of this new mentality, but I'm guessing most won't care too much about that end of things....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    I wouldn't plan on it.

They have gone from being a company proud of the product they make, and determined to help keep said product working for as long as materially possible, to one where it's products rapid demise is baked into the design and business model.

All with the expectation that the buying public will be so wowed by "design" and utterly hollow promises of improved performance that they don't mind throwing away $1500 every two years or so just to keep up with the intentionally design created, entropy....

The designs change so fast now, they don't really bother to keep service product in stock more than a year or so, it's far better *for them* to just stock replacement forks.

My guess is, some riders will fall for it once, maaaaybe twice, then get tired of the shenanigans, and move into something that doesn't treat it's owner like an ATM machine.

I could go on about the environmental impacts of this new mentality, but I'm guessing most won't care too much about that end of things....
    You've been around for a long time on these forums, Mendon, and your opinion is the one I am most interested in hearing. It's sad to see a good company with good products go down the tubes, but it's even sadder to blow a grand on something that is designed to stop working and be replaced. I've seen this happen a lot with superior designs in the bike industry, particularly with suspension forks. C'est la vie.
    Is there any particular generation of DC Leftys that you would still recommend using, from a durability/ availability of spares standpoint?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    And Mendon- if you stop riding Leftys, what will you go with instead?

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008

Will Cannondale keep making dual crown Leftys?

Iíve not had any issue getting my 2 and 3 year old Lefty forks serviced or repaired. My 6 year old XLR has only had service.

I wasnít aware you were looking for a longer travel Lefty. The 120mm on my Bad Habit is my favorite lefty that Iíve owned. I havenít had any issues with it and Iíve ridden it really hard and in a lot of mud. Spray the stanchion off after each ride and it looks great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    Iíve not had any issue getting my 2 and 3 year old Lefty forks serviced or repaired. My 6 year old XLR has only had service.

I wasnít aware you were looking for a longer travel Lefty. The 120mm on my Bad Habit is my favorite lefty that Iíve owned. I havenít had any issues with it and Iíve ridden it really hard and in a lot of mud. Spray the stanchion off after each ride and it looks great.

Sorry, I should have been more clear about which kind of fork I was looking for. I do hope they keep making DC forks, they are really a unique product and one that seems to outlcass the competition on a number of parameters.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Thanks, and, agreed. I've supported them forever, it's sad what's happened.

Honestly, any of the post 2005 stuff will do what you want.

The Speed SL series with the carbon legs and blue lock levers are the weakest, so, other than them, pretty much pick and go.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    If i could get an unused 2.0 or SuperMax really cheap I'd think about putting one on a bike. I wouldn't expect for any of the non-disposable parts to be around in 3-4 years time though, like complete dampers and replacement lowers.