When to reset Lefty bearings?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008

When to reset Lefty bearings?

I know it is a REAL easy thing to do, but at what point should i reset the needle bearings. The length of my fork is 26.5" just after reset. It is at 26.25" after about 15 hours of hard riding. Is there a percentage of overall length (26.5" in my case) that i should take the time to reset them?

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by adambikes
    I know it is a REAL easy thing to do, but at what point should i reset the needle bearings. The length of my fork is 26.5" just after reset. It is at 26.25" after about 15 hours of hard riding. Is there a percentage of overall length (26.5" in my case) that i should take the time to reset them?
    No percentage, just do it every two weeks at first, then a month if that seems too frequent, etc, till you find the interval that makes it worth the time to do it.
    Cannondale Lefty and HeadShock servicing, wheel building, etc...

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    it depends how and how often you ride. I measure the fork every 2 weeks and if it compresses for more than 2.5cm I reset it.

mtbr member
    I reset it at 1 cm, but that's becasue the new PBR makes it so easy now. I'd go longer with an older fork.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Yes, I have a 2011 PBR Lefty. What signs should i look for that indicate to most def. reset it. Thunk at rebound? Don't want to damage it by waiting to long AND also don't want to damage the threads from constantly unscrewing and rescrewing in the resetting process.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    No percentage, just do it every two weeks at first, then a month if that seems too frequent, etc, till you find the interval that makes it worth the time to do it.
    So, Craig, is the best way to tell if you need to reset is by the length of your fork while it still has air in it but no compression (no weight on it and fully extended). Basically, I don't want to have to unscrew the top just to see if it needs it. The manual that comes with the fork states that I should do that (plus removing the collar, then fully extending the fork until it tops out, then measure to see if it is out). I'd rather just measure the fork without that process. Capiche?

Do a full reset, put it back together, and measure to any point that works for you, as long as it encompasses the upper portion of the fork, and some portion of the lower. Just a nice, easy to use measurement point is all.

Any migration will show up with use, after that.

As for migration and reset, think of it as a glass of really good beer. You also have a keg of it next to you, and nothing but time.

Every time you take a sip, your fork migrated. Do you top it off (reset it) then? Or do you take a few more swigs, and wait till it's almost empty (topping out) to refill/reset?

No right or wrong, and the migration is just like an emptying beer glass.

Damn, now I'm thirsty.....

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

A guy on a bike Moderator
    I'm wondering how often it's absolutely necessary to reset the fork. I'm going to give the Colorado Trail Race (500 miles) another shot next year--and bike maintenance is a PITA on a race like this. In 2010, I completed the race on a '94 Delta V with a Headshok, and never reset the bearings. I wonder if my PBR Lefty needs more love?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks, Craig. Nice analogy. You are a dog lover AND a beer lover!! I almost wish my fork needed an annual tune-up so that I could ship it to you to work on. My Pisgah Productions Double Dare teammate swears by your Lefty service skills.

Quote Originally Posted by adambikes View Post
    You are a dog lover AND a beer lover!!
    Glad to help. Yep, just ran the mutts before opening for the Saturday mid november upstate NY bike shop rush (ha ha).

A buddy of mine stopped by and gifted me with a 4 pack of Surly Furious, my first Surly beer tasting. Damn good beer!

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Quote Originally Posted by TobyGadd View Post
    I'm wondering how often it's absolutely necessary to reset the fork. I'm going to give the Colorado Trail Race (500 miles) another shot next year--and bike maintenance is a PITA on a race like this. In 2010, I completed the race on a '94 Delta V with a Headshok, and never reset the bearings. I wonder if my PBR Lefty needs more love?
    When it starts topping out. And then, it's not dangerous, just short and thumpy.

If you need to do a decent reset every hundred miles or so of riding, you may want to get the fork retoleranced prior to your event, just to slow migration down a bit.

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Thanks Craig. I'll probably send the fork to you in early June for servicing--and to check the bearing tolerances. But it does look I'll probably need to carry a wrench on the race; bummer, those things are heavy. Maybe I need to figure out how to trim one down a bit...

Quote Originally Posted by TobyGadd View Post
    Thanks Craig. I'll probably send the fork to you in early June for servicing--and to check the bearing tolerances. But it does look I'll probably need to carry a wrench on the race; bummer, those things are heavy. Maybe I need to figure out how to trim one down a bit...

So if yo ride it a hundred miles, it will be significantly migrated? If that's the case, a bump up isn't a bad plan....

Have a local machine shop make a tool for you out of ti plate, it'd be lighter, and way cooler

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Have a local machine shop make a tool for you out of ti plate, it'd be lighter, and way cooler
    My wallet will be so light, I'll probably win the race by DAYS!

Members who have read this thread: 0