mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Ultra Fatty DL on 1FG, lockout noise and very soft

Just got a new (old stock) 2003 1FG, looks awesome.......

When the headshock is lockedout, there seems to be some play, so when you go over a bump or very small gap in concrete etc, it makes a small banging noise as the suspension takes up the small bit of slack.

Also, being heavy and tough on stuff, the suspension seems very nice but very soft, what is the best way to make the suspension alot stiffer. Just when I hop on the machine, just my weight takes up almost half of the precious 80mm of travel and there is way too much bob is the suspension.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jrobertson
    Just got a new (old stock) 2003 1FG, looks awesome.......

When the headshock is lockedout, there seems to be some play, so when you go over a bump or very small gap in concrete etc, it makes a small banging noise as the suspension takes up the small bit of slack.

Also, being heavy and tough on stuff, the suspension seems very nice but very soft, what is the best way to make the suspension alot stiffer. Just when I hop on the machine, just my weight takes up almost half of the precious 80mm of travel and there is way too much bob is the suspension.
    If there is any movement in the fork when it is locked out, it means you are low on oil in the cartridge. The noise you describe sounds like top out from the fork not being put together quite right in the factory, OR riding it hard with too little air. The softness is just air pressure, the shock is air sprung, and needs more air. If you bought it from a shop, and they are competent with Headshock service, have them top off your cartridge with oil, and reset you migrated bearings (takes care of clunking noise), then buy yourself a shock pump, and tune away. By the way, the air valve is right under the crown of the fork right above your tire.I am more than happy to help with service if you got it on line, or if your shop is not equipped to deal with this stuff. Good luck!

Members who have read this thread: 0