mtbr member

Trigger as a Prophet upgrade?

Just talked to my LBS, and can get a real good year end deal on a 2015 Trigger 27.5 Carbon 2.

I currently ride a 2005 Prophet in Freeride setting, and love the way it descends but wouldn't mind something that can climb a little better.

Will a Trigger fit the bill? Will it bomb down rocky trails as good or better than a Prophet? I assume it will climb better based on geometry and suspension (if the DYAD shock really works as advertised!). I rode one around the streets a while back, but cant do a trail demo unfortunately.

Love the lefty on my Prophet, so this keeps me in that game anyway!
    '15 Cannondale Trigger 27.5 Carbon 2
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I have ridden my friend's prophet several times, which I believe was in that era. I also own a trigger 29 carbon right now. Which would be a little bit different than the 27.5, but close enough for a good comparison. I would say that the climbing abilities are pretty comparable, each has different strengths. Descending is a different ballgame though. The trigger bombs everything I can throw at it... no line picking required. It even held its own on some pretty tough DH trails at Killington this summer. the Prophet is good downhill, but I still feel like I need to at least pick a line that I am not likely to kill myself on. The trigger goes over everything. And the Supermax is a very big step forward over the lefty on the prophet.

mtbr member
    Any idea if that prophet's suspension was in FR or XC setting? Sounds like XC? I find I can bomb down anything in my prophet (in FR mode). From what you say though, and reviews I've read, sounds like the Trigger will be a great upgrade.

Just pulled the trigger on the trigger - pun intended. It should be in on Monday!
    My 10 year upgrade cycle continues: Got a Delta V in 1994, Prophet in 2005, and now the Trigger in 2015.
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Probably XC I would guess... And I am not at all saying that you cant bomb down shit in a Prophet. It is plenty bombable*. I just find the Trigger to be positively monster truck like in its ability to not care about line.

*is that a word?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ash216 View Post
    I just find the Trigger to be positively monster truck like in its ability to not care about line.
    This, times eleventy billion. Pretty much sums up the way I ride my Trigger 29er.

mtbr member
    "*is that a word?"
    It is now. It makes perfect sense to me anyway!

Thanks for the info guys, cant wait 'till Tuesday to pick it up!
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Trigger as a Prophet upgrade?

The Dyad is what really makes the Trigger more capable as a XC like bike. When the Trigger is put into it's 85mm climb mode, it really changes the geometry and handling to be very XC like and thus, climbs exceedingly well. I believe the most understated attribute to the Dyad is the separate rebound circuits. In climbing mode, I slow the rebound much more than I normally would with a single circuit/travel bike. This makes the travel much more stable over the lower speed bumps. Much less "bob" feeling and smooth, most definitely. I have raced the Trigger in many XC races and found it to be totally appropriate. If you can make it light, it's perfect. The fork's 140mm travel is very controllable and doesn't seem like too much for XC, especially with Lefty climb mode. Definitely experiment with the climb mode rebound.