mtbr member

Too many to chose from!!! Help!!

Hi All,

I'm having a tough time deciding which bike to go with. Things have changed a bit since I was really into it many years ago.

I wouldn't even know where to rate my experience. I raced BMX when I was young and was big into mountain while in college. Starved many months so I could have a new Trek 8000 (1995 ish?). I forgot. Anyhow, I picked up another Trek 8000 (2004)a few years ago from CL and have been riding that on the limited amount of trails where I used to live. We've now moved away from the LA congestion to the hills and it's time to get back!!! I'm stoked I'm so close to so many good trails!!

As it turns out, one of my colleagues runs a bike shop and has offered me very fair prices on Cannondale bikes.

So here I am with the decision of what bike to go with.

First my riding; I guess it would be AM. My rides vary but essentially I will endure tough climbs for the thrill of a downhill. If I had to say, I guess I ride pretty aggressively. My ride tracker showed 45mph on a downhill a few days ago. (Logging road) I like to jump but I'm not into drops, more of a fast flowing style like a BMX race.

Im going with a hard tail for sure. It's all I have ridden and I like the connectedness I feel with them.

So so the bikes I am considering:

FSi Carbon 2: The limited gearing with the single crank is a concern. Will I be able to slow climb with those ratios? Being so light it may not matter. Plus it looks awesome! And I love the simplicity.

2014 F29 carbon 2. Looks killer. Do I really need the lockout? Wasn't too convenient to operate. I like the dual front.

2016 FSi carbon 3. A mix of these two essentially.

All are are available at near identical prices.

I did ride an alloy F29 lefty and I loved it! I was skeptical at first but that went away very fast!!

Thanks for any input.

ROFF

Hawkish on Choads
    You gonna take it off any sweet jumps?

mtbr member
    FSI carbon 2 -
    Don't worry about the 1x limited gears for climbs... you can always replace the front chain wheel to 30t or 28t.
    Check out the gear ratio tables on the net and you will see that the issue is not on the climb, but rather on the flats... but if you are not racing, then the high speed may not be an issue.
    S.C. TB2
    Flash29C2
    Niner One9 SingleSpeed RDO fork
    Supersix Evo 1 Hi Mod D/A

Thingamejigger
    As said, FSI carbon 2.....

I have 1x11 on my Gravel bike and my fatbike.... waiting for the new XT group to convert my Flash.... the fat bike has 30T front and 10T-42T on the rear and I don't find it limiting at all.... 32t front is what I will go for the 29er.

Lock out on a fork is a necessity..... waists too much energy otherwise when standing up out the saddle.