Thread: tires for PA

mtbr member

tires for PA

I shredded the IRC trailbears that came on my prophet from the rocks, so I bought a pair of bontrager big earls 2.5 i think. They have held up great and they shed mud and stick to the trail. Problem is they are just too heavy and slow. Maybe it is just mental but when all you have to stare at is that 2.5 trudging up a hill it is demoralizing. I like them b/c I can run low air pressure and never get pinch flats with the heavy casing. What tire would you guys suggest for NW PA? It needs to be able to take a beating from rocks but still be light and shed mud. price isnt really a factor b/c I am only going to buy one set for next year.

I would even buy stans and get a lighter tire if it would really make a difference.
    Chance favors the prepared mind

Incredulous bastard
    Northwest PA, huh? Yeah, I think I've left at least five Navegal DTC 2.35 side knobs at Prompton this year. And last year Merli-Sarnoski kill'd at least 3 Cinders from the same issue.

But now I'm using the Panaracer Rampage 26x2.35s and, though I haven't been back down to Prompton, I have big hopes for their durability when I do return. They do seem considerably more robust than those other two choices. The side knobs having that sagger'd bit like the old Fire XC Pros may be quite a good thing. Especially considering that I ran XC Pros for three years (and quite a bit at Merli) without ever losing a side knob.

So, perhaps the Rampage?

mtbr member
    thanks.
    I actually had good luck with an old pair of velociraptors. They are just really narrow. I like the older style tire with thick side walls b/c they seem to hold up the best. I did a hand held comparison with the irc's, velociraptors, and the big earls. Wow those big earls have got to be twice as heavy. I am switching to my old velociraptors in the front and the best irc in the back for my ride tomorrow. I am riding kennerdell if you are familiar with the area and there arent as many rocks as moraine state park. I am curious to see what that skinny tire feels like in comparison to that fat big earl.
    Chance favors the prepared mind

mtbr member
    Maxxis Ignitors

Continental Vertical

almost identical tread pattern. worked well for me in NYS and in Pisgah.

lower rolling resistance, good mud clearing and very durable (especially the Maxxis)

Members who have read this thread: 0