mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Time to wait, Trigger 29er

Winter is slowly rolling in here in VT, and today I placed an order for a Trigger 29er 1. Gonna be a long winter. Anybody seen or ridden one yet?

Icebiker
    I placed my order for a Trigger 29er 2 in late Aug or early Sep. LBS says the C'dale dealer order tracking system shows it for early December delivery.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by ALS650L View Post
    Winter is slowly rolling in here in VT, and today I placed an order for a Trigger 29er 1. Gonna be a long winter. Anybody seen or ridden one yet?
    Nice! This bike should rip in the nice VT trails...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Sup
    they had one at the Iceman Cometh race in Michigan
    looked real nice and felt light
    good luck with your wait
    would have loved to demo it

Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    Read about this bike it's in between the scalpel & Jekyll right? Nobody has them yet even the in euro zone

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I guess nobody has them yet. My dealer is saying around the end of December. I put half down, I won't have the other half by then but at least I can visit it. I intentionally ordered this time of year, even if the date gets pushed back it won't matter since we'll have snow. Every XL Cannondale I've ridden has been very comfortable for me. I would have loved to demo it. I did ride a Scalpel and F29 both with the new Lefty and loved them both, the Lefty was awesome. I mentioned to the demo crew I liked them but wanted more travel, they told me to wait a bit. That was early this summer. It's a 130mm travel with an 130/80mm rear travel. That part is very appealing to me.

mtbr member
    There are a few product launch videos I doubt you will be disappointed! Now I get why the store sales guy tried to push it on to me as I told him I like the flash... He said its like the Flash in temperament but a full sus...

mtbr member
    I guess nobody has them yet. My dealer is saying around the end of December. I put half down, I won't have the other half by then but at least I can visit it. I intentionally ordered this time of year, even if the date gets pushed back it won't matter since we'll have snow. Every XL Cannondale I've ridden has been very comfortable for me. I would have loved to demo it. I did ride a Scalpel and F29 both with the new Lefty and loved them both, the Lefty was awesome. I mentioned to the demo crew I liked them but wanted more travel, they told me to wait a bit. That was early this summer. It's a 130mm travel with an 130/80mm rear travel. That part is very appealing to me.
    i was under the impression that the dealer system wasn't allowing dealers to even order these until january.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I just placed my order today. Was told mid March....gonna be a LONG winter indeed! I work at Pacific Cycle so i am getting through an employee purchase program so priority for me is much lower than getting the bikes to the dealer of course.

Since I work at PC i was torn between the Zaskar 100 9r Pro or the Trigger 29er...liked the longer travel of the Trigger and the Flow/Elevate mode + drop seat. I could get the Zaskar next month....I was tempted to change my order today back to the Zaskar but I'll just wait it out.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    If it takes until March I'm ok with that. I put down half the money knowing I wouldn't have the other half for awhile and that the bike wouldn't be available for awhile either. I was in the market for a full suspension 29er around 120-140mm travel. I do a fair amount of climbing so the elevate mode was very appealing to me, but with that climbing comes the down too. I've also had a fascination with Lefties but wanted more than 100mm travel. I demoed the Scalpel and F29 with new Lefties and really liked it. They were both too XC for me, I did really like the Scalpel though. I don't think I would have gone out and bought a dropper post but the bike coming with one is a plus. My experience with them is a parking lot ride, I don't even have a quick release on my current seatpost.

mtbr member
    I have a date of Jan 28 for my trigger 1 XL

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sikocycles View Post
    I have a date of Jan 28 for my trigger 1 XL
    How recently were you given this date? I'm waiting for an XL 1 also.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'm 6'2" with a 34.5" inch inseam and ordered a Large...I'm.kind of right between an L and XL size. Hopefully the L is not too small. I haven't ridden trails in years and an really excited to get back into it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'm 6'2" too, I have long arms and ordered the XL. I'm not sure what my cycling inseam is but pants are usually a 32". I was thinking the top tube seemed long on the XL, but it also can run down to a 50 or 60mm stem. I'm used to running a 100mm stem. I've also got 2 Cannondale hardtail 29ers in XL so that swayed me towards the XL.

mtbr member
    How recently were you given this date? I'm waiting for an XL 1 also.
    2weeks ago

Not sure if you can run a 50mm stem on a lefty

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sikocycles View Post
    2weeks ago

Not sure if you can run a 50mm stem on a lefty

The Lefty SuperMax is designed to be able to run very short stems, I can't find the article I read it in though. If you look at this picture you can see how short it is. I know that it uses a traditional style stem rather than the OPI stems.

mtbr member
    That is great news, thanks for the info

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'm really looking forward to this bike, it will be unlike anything I've owned before.

Icebiker
    Among the geometry figures I like on the Trigger is the 20" seat tube for the XL...most XL's are 21" or 22". Should be comparatively decent standover. Mine was supposed to be at my LBS this week (I ordered in August), but no word yet. Will post when I hear something.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Bugeye ~ did you go with the XL? Do you mind sharing your height and inseam? I went with the L @ 6'2 with 34.5 inseam. I wonder if I should have gone with the XL...I've never ridden a 29er but sat on a Large GT Sensor and it felt huge....Any advice?

Icebiker
    ^ I'm 6'3" with a 34" inseam, and am equally proportioned between upper and lower body. I always find XL's are must for me in pretty much every brand I've owned or demo'd. I also prefer an upright riding position (h'bars about 1/2 in to 1 in above saddle height), so getting anything less than an XL usually gives me a headtube that is insufficiently high to get me into that upright position and a effective top tube that requires a setback post.

I checked out the Geo between the L and XL on the C'dale site. Looks like the main difference is the effective TT...the XL is 1.1 inch longer, and it's all in the Reach (center of BB to head tube). Sure, the seat tube is also 0.9 inch longer, but that's inconsequential with a long enough seat post. So, my recommendation is as follows:

If you have a 34.5" inseam but a shorter upper body, go with the L. If you have a longer upper body, go with the XL. If the XL is a little too long you can always get a shorter stem.

Lastly, does your LBS have any bikes in stock with similar geometry that you could sit on? What about your current bike...any frame of reference there you can go with?

Good luck man, this bike looks to be a killer ride!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty much right in between sizes as you alluded to. My legs are longer with a shorter torso. So I think I'll stick with the large. I've never ridden a nice enough bike to really care about specs our geometry...so this should be interesting. No LBS carries cannondale - mostly trek and specialized...some low end cannondale that's about it. We just got our first snow anyways so it helps knowing I can't really ride it anyways...but probably still would.

Hope you get your new T29 soon! Better post some pics and ride report if it ain't too snowy...put at least some pics!

LA CHÈVRE
    The Lefty SuperMax is designed to be able to run very short stems, I can't find the article I read it in though. If you look at this picture you can see how short it is. I know that it uses a traditional style stem rather than the OPI stems.
    Yup, they offset the whole main structure of the SuperMax rearward and the top is not protruding over the top clamp as much to allow shorter stems that make sense on such a bike, you can see just how much they moved the main tubes back by looking at the spindle that is now not inline as on previous Lefty models. This also enables them to have more inside volume. Win Win.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous View Post
    Yup, they offset the whole main structure of the SuperMax rearward and the top is not protruding over the top clamp as much to allow shorter stems that make sense on such a bike, you can see just how much they moved the main tubes back by looking at the spindle that is now not inline as on previous Lefty models. This also enables them to have more inside volume. Win Win.
    I'm hoping the whole bike is win-win and not just the lefty!

don't stop
    Mar 2009
    I was told mid-January for my Trigger 29er. I've already ordered new rims to replace those Crests. No 130mm bike should use that rim, regardless of the wheel size.

Those of you here asking about frame size really should seek out someone knowledgeable, ideally at a LBS or MTB club. Two people with the same inseam length could ride two different sizes. Not only does it depend on your torso and arm-length, but but the type of terrain you ride makes a difference. An XL for example, with a longer wheel base will be a bit more stable and might rock in sweeping, open, and rocky terrain, but the same rider who sees a lot of tighter, twisty, technical trails or likes more 'flickability' would choose a large. BMX and Trials riders choose much smaller frames than their inseams or torso length might suggest, for example.

And if you think you are in between two sizes, some people will say it is usually best to hedge your bets and pick the smaller one. You can always gain some extra height/length with the right seatpost (as much as an inch set back, making your L equal to a XL), but if your top-tube is too long, you can't do much about that, especially as the stock stem is already pretty short.

Looking forward to hearing a first ride report on the Trigger 29er... anyone...?

RBR

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Which rims did you pick up? Would you use the front hub to go with the Lefty? Or just use the existing hub/brakes/gears/etc..?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'm not convinced the bike is going to come with Crests on it yet. It says so in the specs but the picture on the Cannondale site shows Arches, perhaps Arch EX.

don't stop
    Mar 2009
    I am definitely keeping the new lefty hub. The wider flange spacing will make for a more stiffer wheel than any other current hub. With that new supermax lefty, it will be seriously stiff and strong on the front end.

As for rims... Yes, I've seen a few shots of the trigger 29er with arches, but those were early release shots. Everything I've seen since, including the cannondale Flickr gallery, shows crests. The fact the crests have a special green decal suggests to me that cannondale must have ordered a bunch of these... While the early shots I saw with the arches are the regular Stan's red decals suggesting a quick build (notice those photos also show the dropper post with no remote yet).

My rim choices would be the flow ex, the WTB i23, or the Enve AM. The Enve actually make a lot of sense given that you haven't spent $8k on a carbon frame already. There is a good argument to be made about spending $2k to shave 1lb or two of sprung and rotating weight (and also have insanely stiff rims) vs spending the same amount on a carbon frame to drop a lb or so of unsprung weight.

mtbr member
    This is probably the bike that will make me say goodbye to Specialized's Stumpy FSR. I'm gonna wait for 2014 model anyway,like cars when a new model hit the market I'm sure there will be some tweaks to sort out.
    Roadie DNA,mtbike curious.

mtbr member
    the scalpel comes with arch rims (and they have the green decals). i just cant see them sending out at 100mm bike with arch and a 130mm bike, designed for having far more fun... with crests!

Icebiker
    Checked with my LBS...now looks like my early Dec has been moved to end Dec, which likely means 1st week Jan.

don't stop
    Mar 2009
    More discrepancy between the Cdale webpage and the early release photos.

Check out this shot from Bike Rumor. Notice, with the new supermax lefty, how the hub is positioned forward of the lefty leg, to achieve the increased 60mm rake.
    See here from the left(y) side:

Now check out the pic on the C'dale webpage:

The front hub looks almost in line (near zero rake) with the stanchion. Could just be my eyes, but if you look closely at the thickness of the lefty leg just above the tire vs. just below, it looks like the lefty shrunk a little. Makes me wonder if there was a little photoshop 'cut-and-paste' of the wheel. This is not uncommon on the early release shots that ends up on webpages. In which case, I am even more skeptical the Arches will actually show up on the new builds, but who knows.

banned
    My LBS got 2 in this week. The rest should be out shortly.

don't stop
    Mar 2009
    And did you catch what rims are on them...?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by runbaileyrun View Post
    And did you catch what rims are on them...?
    I can check tomorrow, did not think about it. Was looking at a Jekyll.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The leg does look funny between the bottom and after the rotor. I know initially the picture on the website was a Trigger 26. I guess it will be a surprise what my bike actually looks like when it comes in!

don't stop
    Mar 2009
    Pics posted yesterday by Dr. Cannondale of the Trigger 29er.

Rims are Crest, but dropper post is without remote, so still confusing what the final build spec will be.

Cannondale trigger 29er | Facebook

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Rims will be crests according to a source at cannondale

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rorymm View Post
    Rims will be crests according to a source at cannondale
    Yep, the one at the LBS has Crest's. Why?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinning Lizard View Post
    Yep, the one at the LBS has Crest's. Why?
    Lame. Wonder who made that decision?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbal View Post
    the scalpel comes with arch rims (and they have the green decals). i just cant see them sending out at 100mm bike with arch and a 130mm bike, designed for having far more fun... with crests!
    This years Scalpels have Reynolds Carbon, Crests or some WTB I23s I think.

don't stop
    Mar 2009
    For what you'd pay for the scalpel with Reynolds, you can buy the trigger with Enve.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Perhaps some Arch EX or Flow Ex are in my future. Can't afford Enve, can barely afford the bike itself.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I recently test rode the 2013 Scapel Carbon 2 with the Arch rims - I felt that they flexed some as it was!
    A 190 lb Rated Crest - No Way -

I would Taco them (6'4" 226 lbs) in the first few rides!

Maybe the Large & X Large's will get Arch's?

Still Crazy!

People in the industry tell me that Carbon is the only way to go on a All Mountain 29er for Heavy Rider/Use anyway ..

mtbr member
    That Lefty boot looks like an accident waiting to happen if you ask me...
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

mtbr member

mtbr member
    The lefty fork difference seems what a few articles have pushed adding a greatness to its geometry and play. I personally can't claim this as I have not seen much of this or this appealing bike.

What you notice is that the square-in-square design with needle bearings is still present for the top section, but down low the sliding surfaces are now round. Thus allowing the use of a Durathon wiper seal and they further state a better bushing. This fixed bushing better supports the interface between the inner & outer legs & magic (joking) the fork is stiffer and noticeably so to the pros unlike me. Great advantages clearly.

Differences are also the bath oil the needles sit in, it will automatically reset in the new Lefty, whilst every 50hrs our old forks needed sent for realignment, the new Lefty needs a new bath every 100hrs.

In reality my LBS said each 2years for a full fork service on my older lefty dependent on my two Flash & lower usage as its spread over x4 bikes now.

It's an interesting bike, I was offered it but still went to the Flash Carbon for my XC mountain trails in Swiss cheese & fondue legs land ;P

Happy holidays folks!
    Last edited by wallstreet; 12-24-2012 at 07:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wallstreet View Post
    The lefty fork difference seems what a few articles have pushed adding a greatness to its geometry and play. I personally can't claim this as I have not seen much of this or this appealing bike.

What you notice is that the square-in-square design with needle bearings is still present for the top section, but down low the sliding surfaces are now round. Thus allowing the use of a Durathon wiper seal and they further state a better bushing. This fixed bushing better supports the interface between the inner & outer legs & magic (joking) the fork is stiffer and noticeably so to the pros unlike me. Great advantages clearly.

Differences are also the bath oil the needles sit in, it will automatically reset in the new Lefty, whilst every 50hrs our old forks needed sent for realignment, the new Lefty needs a new bath every 100hrs.

In reality my LBS said each 2years for a full fork service on my older lefty dependent on my two Flash & lower usage as its spread over x4 bikes now.

It's an interesting bike, I was offered it but still went to the Flash Carbon for my XC mountain trails in Swiss cheese & fondue legs land ;P

Happy holidays folks!
    Like a baws.

mtbr member
    Boost: you always find the hidden meaning in my jumble

I had to google your word baws:

Web definitions
    (A*baw) Bowie Tsang (born February 21, 1973 is a Taiwanese female Mandopop singer, actress, TV host and author. She is also

Lol

Then found:-

www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?...3. baws. Scottish slang. stems from english slang "bollocks" meaning testicles. can also be used as a ...

That made me giggle... I do find it baws that the pro guy I knew who has been riding in Verbier said he had never sent his bikes in to service it yet...keeps them 2years but yearly his sponsor gives him a new one. The shop said two years, I don't get get it & when I read something is better & better than neatest other past items I can agree but I don't fall into buying it...

I have not found one thread that states clearly how often a person has serviced their fork - some say yearly & others 2 years so when my LBS says the latter I stick to that then.. Why r u not riding boost?

Here the snow has melted but it's chilly brr
    Last edited by wallstreet; 12-24-2012 at 08:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Lol.... You've become something of a pen friend, I'm used to your shoddy jumble haha!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Picked up my Trigger 29er1 yesterday. Still lots of snow so I won't be riding it for awhile. I need to make some little changes but I'll post up some pics this week. I didn't weigh it but it feels lighter than I was expecting when people were saying 30+ pounds.

mtbr member

Picked up my Trigger 29er1 yesterday. Still lots of snow so I won't be riding it for awhile. I need to make some little changes but I'll post up some pics this week. I didn't weigh it but it feels lighter than I was expecting when people were saying 30+ pounds.
    With the photos of the UK that's an understatement !!! What's going on in the UK? It's mild here

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Just pedaled it up and down the street some, come on dry trails! I felt no bob in the rear pedaling up a steep hill on the street in climb mode. I don't know about the dropper post at this point, I have never adjusted my seat height while riding, ever. I'll probably try it and if I don't like it sell it. Feels like it's fairly nimble. Might go 1x10 with a 32 tooth in front, not sure I have the legs for it. I feel like I'm going to be very happy with this bike.

Happy Trails

Mountain Bike Action magazine (May 2013) review on the Trigger 29er says "game changer". Goes on to say it is more capable bike than many trail riders will ever need. Very positive review.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post
    Mountain Bike Action magazine (May 2013) review on the Trigger 29er says "game changer". Goes on to say it is more capable bike than many trail riders will ever need. Very positive review.
    Check it here.

http://forums.mtbr.com/cannondale/mb...-a-847563.html
    Last edited by gcappy; 04-07-2013 at 06:12 PM. Reason: forgot link

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have to say that after riding both a 26 carbon 1 and a 29er 1 that both bikes are a complete blast to ride. If only they made an aluminum 26 with a lefty and I would be sold

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post

I'm sure the bike is well above my abilities! I've read a blurb from Bike Magazine, they really like it so far and are doing a more in-depth review as is DirtRag. The woods will be free of snow and mud soon...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Three rides in and this bike is killing it. I have no regrets on the purchase. I got a remote for the X-fusion Hilo and put on some Canfield Crampon Ultimates in white.

Icebiker
    awesome....I am 3 months in and now experiencing "Trigger withdrawal" as I wrecked my derailleur last weekend and am awaiting a new one and a new hanger....have to resort to my "lesser" bikes....lol

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugeye View Post
    awesome....I am 3 months in and now experiencing "Trigger withdrawal" as I wrecked my derailleur last weekend and am awaiting a new one and a new hanger....have to resort to my "lesser" bikes....lol
    I have a single speed for back up, secretly hoping I won't need it. I say back up but we all know one bike isn't enough.

Icebiker
    ^^ Indeed! I rode my SS today in fact and, have to say, was somewhat underwhelmed....which is a first...i usually like that bike....but felt twitchy after riding the Trigger....guess that's to be expected...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'm starting to get the suspension figured out. I was worried coming from a hardtail that I wouldn't climb and do tech stuff like I could before, those concerns are gone.

Members who have read this thread: 0