mtbr member

Time to chose. Advices please ( F29 2 vs 3)

I really can't bypass this 20% off my LBS is giving me on 2013 models,I think it's time to take the opportunity to leave my Specialized's comfort zone.

My heart is now set on the mighty F29,a long awaited return to a simple front suspended bike after 3 years of more o less interesting and funny full suspended rigs.

I'm currently thorn between 2 & 3 models.
    I don't like 2's colors at all,I really can't get my head around those 2010ish race colors. I do love C'dale's classics model 3 colors. I don't know if in my market my be available a 3 like colored 2 model tho.

Either 2 or 3 model plans are within the next 6 months to upgrade wheels. In the meantime I need a set of good and realiable wheels for these 6 months,and hopefully oem ones are ( are they ? especially on model 3 ? ). And I need a light bike,I'm still trying to recover from my recently puchased 31lbs stumjumper FSR 29....

ps : not a racer,my goal is to have a mtb perform like my beloved road bike,fast as hell.
    Last edited by Devastazione; 10-26-2012 at 12:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Options.

I recently purchased a 2012 Flash carbon 3. I think the 2012 was a better bike then the 2013. Basically every part on the 2013 is down one step. Shifters from XT to SLX, Cranks from X7 to X5. etc etc etc. Cannondales website does not list what brakes they are specing on on the 2013 3. I am asumming they are dropping down to elixer 7 instead of 9 since all the rest of the parts are downgraded.Price goes up 10% for 2013 and the specs If you want a flash carbon 3 I would look for a 2012. The 2013 has too many low end parts for a 3k bike IMHO. The only downside to the 2012 is the wheels have given people problems tubeless. The 2013 comes with Tubeless compatible Rims, and also the new lefty. having not ridden the new lefty I can't say if its better then the 2012, but I doubt its better enough to justify downgrading every other part on the bike.

As for the 2013's I think the 2 is too expensive of a bike to buy and then have to upgrade things. It comes pretty well spec'd .Cannondales website says it comes with Arch rims and the Pic shows crests. If it comes with arch's you could save some weight with a set of race wheels. A bike that cost 5000 to me should be ready out of the box. So hopefully it comes with the lighter and racier crests.

So I would say if you like the 2013 2 and can part with the cash get it and ride it like it is. If you want to upgrade try to find a 2012 flash carbon 3. Same frame as 2013. if you can get one at 20% off its around 2k. If you spend another thousand on race wheels, crankset, cassette, You would knock 2lbs off the bike and have a 20-21 lbs bike that would probably be lighter then the 2013 2. I plan on doing those upgrades once I have a couple thousand miles on the stock drivetrain.

it funny you mention that you want it to feel like your road bike, because as I was riding mine around town, and to work I was thinking how much it felt like my road bike. Even with the knobbys.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I also have a 2012 carbon 3, And yes the2013 does look like a pretty significant downgrade in all areas of the bike component wise. I agree you might be better off looking for a closeout 2012 and beginning to upgrade that bike rather than the 2013, I did ride the stock wheels on the carbon three for a while and did not like them. Although they were pretty heavy I think that's to be expected for the price range but what I could not deal with it was how flexy they were, although mine held up tubeless fine while it looks like others have had problems.

I'm not sure if the 2013 has the same wheels on the carbon three as the 2012 did, the wheels are certainly rideable but you could feel a lot of flex. A friend of mine just purchased 2013 carbon 2, And I bought the arch wheels off of it from him as he upgraded to a set of crests. The arch wheels from the two were certainly much stiffer they track a lot better than the equalizers or whatever it was that was on there.
    You have a tough decision although if you're already planning on replacing the wheels I think a lot of the upgrade from the three to the two is in the wheelset, but I have not looked at the specs for the 2013 so I maybe wrong.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Go with the 3 and upgrade.

mtbr member
    Did it !! Went with a 3 !! It's due in a couple of weeks. Since I've voided my tarmac Sworks frame order I now have some moola to spend on a set of wheels. Thinking about Mavic Crossmax SLR. 2012 model ready to ship at a discounted price,2013 not in stock yet. Worth the wait ?
    Roadie DNA,mtbike curious.

Members who have read this thread: 0