mtbr member
    Sep 2006

thoughts on cannondale supver V-1000

Well, I am getting back into mountain biking 3 years after getting my last bike stolen, and am looking at getting a used bike. I am looking at a 2000 cannondale super v-1000 for 600. I would like to get a full suspension bike, does anyone have any thoughts on this bike?

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    I've seen used 05 Prophet 600s go for under $1000 on ebay....Just a note
    CDT

mtbr member

Smile

600 bucks isn't bad at all depending on the condition of the bike. My wife rides a 2000 superV700sx and its a great ride. for that money i say go for it depending on the condition of the bike. can you post a pic of it here?

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by StickyWicket
    I am looking at a 2000 cannondale super v-1000 for 600.

See the thread for $99 rear shocks? Score the deal, grab that bike, and Uber V that puppy. If you don't get that bike, let me know, I'll get it=
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Canman
    Oct 2006
    I love my super V 1000 from 1998, but I will say 600 bucks is on the steep side. If you can increase your limit to say a 1,000 or even 800 you can buy a prophet which I also have. The difference is night and day.

Quote Originally Posted by canman
    The difference is night and day.
    Have you read the threads on the Uber V's? There's no night and day difference, just a great design, crippled by early shock technology. Matter of fact, the pivot placement on the Super V makes for a slightly better riding bike IMO. I have an Uber, and a Prophet too, so I'm not blowing smoke at you= Find a proper swingarm, 7 7/8"x2" platform shock, and Uber that V. 6"s here you come!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    2 Prophet swingarms on ebay. one at $50 (still open) and one for $149 BIN...
    Just a note

Canman
    Oct 2006
    I still believe that the Prophet is a night and day difference compared to the Super V. I have a super v, jekyll and a prophet. The super v was my primary bike 8 years ago and the prophet took its spot 1.5 years ago. The second I hit the trail with the prophet that bike had some charateristics that the super v lacked. It is lighter, more responsive, more flickable and for the lighter people just an all around better choice. The super v was a point and shoot bike, it doesn't like to be thrown around, but it loves going over the nasty of the nasty. The prophet on the other had has the ability to flick it to avoid nasty obstacles. Shock mounting to me is irrelevant just because how often do you have to change a shock out? I will say I wish they had gone with a horizontal shock mount on the prophet. But either way in the 10 years of owning 4 full supension Cannondales (super v, super v dh, jekyll and prophet), I have yet to replace one.

Quote Originally Posted by canman
    I still believe that the Prophet is a night and day difference compared to the Super V. I have a super v, jekyll and a prophet. The super v was my primary bike 8 years ago and the prophet took its spot 1.5 years ago. The second I hit the trail with the prophet that bike had some charateristics that the super v lacked. It is lighter, more responsive, more flickable and for the lighter people just an all around better choice. The super v was a point and shoot bike, it doesn't like to be thrown around, but it loves going over the nasty of the nasty. The prophet on the other had has the ability to flick it to avoid nasty obstacles. Shock mounting to me is irrelevant just because how often do you have to change a shock out? I will say I wish they had gone with a horizontal shock mount on the prophet. But either way in the 10 years of owning 4 full supension Cannondales (super v, super v dh, jekyll and prophet), I have yet to replace one.
    Okay, so apparently you haven't seen the Uber V's, or it sounds like, that you care to. It's not shock mounting points that are different, it's the ability to put a different swingarm on, a different shock, with Platfrom capabilities to control the monkey motion, and end up with a 6" travel bike that climbs like a hardtail, is completely flickable, tune the HTA to what you desire, and have the whole package weigh in at around 25 to 26 lbs. The Prophet is the same bike. Single Pivot. The pivot location changed slightly to give it an initial rising rate, to assist the shocks platform efficiency, but it's the same riding bike. Other than a shorter top tube on a SV, they are one in the same. The whole difference you feel is a platform shock, and a nicer, more modern Lefty. Bikes are numbers, and the numbers can be easily made to match=

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Members who have read this thread: 0