mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Thinking of switching from Scalpel to Rush..

If anybody has spent significant time on both and could give me the pros and cons of each that would be helpful. I've been wanting a bit more rear travel lately but I'm concerned the Rush is going to feel really sluggish coming from the Scalpel. Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    both are great bikes. I like the rush more because I'm a roadie and it makes up for some of the inadequacies as a Mt biker. I had a scalpel and it was a great bike but I feel much more comfortable on the rush. I had a scalpel and I liked it but the rush is better for me. Also, the RP23 is great and I can use the propedal when I don't need the travel.

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by ssc280
    If anybody has spent significant time on both and could give me the pros and cons of each that would be helpful. I've been wanting a bit more rear travel lately but I'm concerned the Rush is going to feel really sluggish coming from the Scalpel. Thanks for the help.
    Consider sending the user "Wick" a PM, he has both a Scapel and Rush of similar level spec. Plus he is a very helpful forum member.

Good luck.
    <Insert Quiver>

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've got a Rush and Scalpel, the same size and both new this year. I built both up the same way, Marta's, XT cranks, XO shifters and rear, Crossmax SL wheels. The Rush has the Terralogic fork and the Scalpel the carbon Lefty. The Scalpel is definitely racer oriented and handles the tight stuff a little better than the Rush. I have only used the Rush for endurance races but I would race it in a XC race, especially if it was a rough track. I think it could still be competitive. For all out trail riding it's hard to beat the Rush.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    rush all the way I have both bikes built up very similar scalpel 24.5 rush 26.5 but I cant feel the weight difference. I have never liked the carbon fiber arms on the scalpel, I feel the scalpel doesn't track well it seems to rebound to harsh and interfere with a smooth spin, at least for me. I have tried both bikes back to back and always had better laps times on the rush. Most of the race coarses I am on are rooty and beat up. The scalpel is good on gravel roads.

Members who have read this thread: 0