mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Taurine or Scalpel?

I'm a road racer looking to do more XC races next year. I currently ride a Rush for endurance races and a few XC races that I did this year but would like something different for shorter courses (and I just like new bikes). Which one would you recommend? Why? What other things should I consider?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    if you have a Rush... Taurine! (Scalpel is between...)

LA CHÈVRE
    I agree. Rush when it's rough, Taurine when it's smoother, this thing will fly on uphills.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mutaullyassuredsuffering

Scalpel

I'll be the lone dissenter here. For XC racing I don't think you can beat an XC race bike.

I started the season on that wavelength, I sold my Scalpel and went with a Rush and a Scott Scale Carbon HT. I thought I'd ride the Scale on the smooth, and the Rush on the rough. What I found, was that most the races here were too rough for the HT, and the Rush was too relaxed.

On the Carbon HT I could always hang with the lead pack on the climbs, but I would get dropped on the descents. On the Rush, I could hang on the descents, but I was dropped on the long fireroad climbs, or the real quick curvey singletrack.

I really wish that I had not sold my Scalpel. I think a Rush for trail and training is perfect, but the Scalpel will be the perfect race bike. Fast, yet some cusion for those descents. I fnd that my new FS race bike will climb as fast as the HT, but gains that huge advantage on the rocky terrain and descents.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by used2Bhard
    I fnd that my new FS race bike will climb as fast as the HT, but gains that huge advantage on the rocky terrain and descents.

Okay, I'll bite, what are you riding now?

mutaullyassuredsuffering

No Scalpel

I ended up with a Yeti. I was trying to get back onto a Scalpel, but my Lefty was shot, and I couldn't afford to buy a full 3000 build. I got a really good deal on a Yeti frameset (pro-deal)and built it up with existing parts for much less than the Scalpel Frame and Lefty would have cost me.

I can't really compare the two (Scalpel and ASR) as I had too much time in between them.
    I love my Yeti, but I loved my Scalpel too.

My point is simply that the two bike idea didn't work for me (Carbon HT and Rush) I always found that one was too stiff (except for STXC and Hill Climbs) and the other was too heavy and soft. If i could do it all over I would still be racing the Scalpel and would have a bunch of extra cash in the bank.

Members who have read this thread: 0