mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Tapered fork options

I decided to post this in the Cannondale section because more likely than not people have came across this same dilemma. I have a 2011 Cannondale Trail SL3 w/ the deuce front fork. Now after some research, I found that there are little to no options for the Cannondale 1.5 head tube. While annoyed that there are not many options for fork replacements, I really do like the 1.5 head tube for its added confidence and durability when things get rough.

Now a couple of questions. What are my options as far as 1.5 straight steerer forks, I know that there are not many but are there some that are recommended; I will also entertain the idea of a lefty, although cost wise I don't its the smartest option. Next, the real reason for this post, and what I believe will be my best option, a tapered 1.5 to 1 1/8 fork using an adapted headset (?) To make the change from 1.5 to 1 1/8. Is this a common route for people to go with cannondales, and if so what are some quality cost effective options? I've heard good things about the rockshox reba, and a couple other forks in that line. I ride XC, looking for 100mm of travel, remote lockout would be a nice touch but not needed. My current fork gets the job done, but just doesn't take big hits like I want, and I feel as if it has trouble keeping good contact with the ground (yes I have my preload and rebound set correctly)

Any help is always appreciated and sorry if this type of thread had been posted before. Thanks all!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Bump

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    If you get the adapter headset, you can use any tapered fork you like. Cannondale makes their own headset specifically for doing this.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Awesome. Thanks!

Newb
    Apr 2016
    I woods like to do the same thing to my 2013 Trail 3 SL. The cage around the ball bearings split and some bearings were lost. I ordered the KP205 expecting that to fit and found that the sealed cartridge bearings were slightly too large OD. Is there really a Cannondale part that fits perfectly in this frame for a tapered rock show fork?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk